Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#31 Arikado

Arikado

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

Nothing that hasn't been hashed out a million times already, but one thing did strike me. The writer talks about a choice in ME2 where you can encourage the Quarians to either take back their homeworld immediately or save their strength to deal with the Reaper threat. I don't remember anything like this from the game! Is the writer misremembering, or did I somehow avoid such an important dialogue sequence in four different ME2 playthroughs?

I'm assuming the writer is referring to the portion after Tali's trial. You can walk around and speak with all of the Admirals again to either encourage taking back Rannoch or to discourage starting a war with the Geth.
Posted Image

#32 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:13 AM

I'm assuming the writer is referring to the portion after Tali's trial. You can walk around and speak with all of the Admirals again to either encourage taking back Rannoch or to discourage starting a war with the Geth.

Hmm. Guess I just high-tailed it back to the Normandy after the verdict.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#33 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

IGN article on choices in the first two games that could decide which races ally with humanity in ME3.

Nothing that hasn't been hashed out a million times already, but one thing did strike me. The writer talks about a choice in ME2 where you can encourage the Quarians to either take back their homeworld immediately or save their strength to deal with the Reaper threat. I don't remember anything like this from the game! Is the writer misremembering, or did I somehow avoid such an important dialogue sequence in four different ME2 playthroughs?

Nice coverage on the possible "major" plot points from that article. I had most of those in-mind, though a couple of them (Ashley / Kaiden and the Quarians) were ones I hadn't thought of before reading that article.

I guess for those of us that romanced Liara each time through ME1, the Ashley / Kaiden angle might change from if you had them as a romance partner?

I may have missed this on my first playthrough, as I think I just chatted with them before the trial and not afterwards. I'll have to go through on my second playthrough and make sure I talk with each one twice.

#34 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

Oh Yeah! Going to preorder the PS3 and 360 collector's edition!

#35 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

Yeah so looking forward to this because, one) Earth (which has been talked about like forever in the Mass Effect universe/disappointed when you couldn't land on it with the galaxy map), two) possible mind manipulation could create some interesting firefights against potential allies/different outcomes with different allies/enemies that have turned and three) it's the CLIMAX BABY (story conclusion/romance conclusion/race/factions conclusion)! I can't wait, well I can but you know what I mean. Mass Effect is my favorite new franchise ever and to think I started out not even playing RPGs. Now the genre is one of my favorites (tend to like Western RPGs more still).
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#36 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

I don't think I'll buy it on Day One, but I will get it. There's like a thousand games coming out in November, all on the same day. Damn the developers who are saying 'hey guys, as a joke, let's release everything at the same time and we'll announce it on the same day. HURRAY.'

Also, I hope multiplayer is just a Shadow of the Colossus co-op mode. Group of Three vs. a Reaper. That'd be awesome.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#37 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

CE preorder on day one for me. I just hope this time I don't have to preorder another game to get extra content. I'm going to have to go back and play 1 and 2 again. Still wish I could delete all the old games from one and keep my newest one.
Posted Image

#38 js1

js1

Badassfully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

I'll be waiting for the inevitable boner-inducing collector's edition.

Same here. Nice thread of course. ;)

Gamertags:

PSN: Ghost_Face_36

XBL:  Gh0st Face 36

Twitch: 

Spoiler

#39 js1

js1

Badassfully

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

A weird question for you guys, do you play with the subtitles on or off? I usually leave them on because I have kids and can't always hear what the characters are saying. But, I hate the non-cinematic quality of the having subs.
My next playthrough, I'm going to turn them off. I think I should get some gaming headphones...

Gamertags:

PSN: Ghost_Face_36

XBL:  Gh0st Face 36

Twitch: 

Spoiler

#40 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

I always play with the subtitles on, not just Mass Effect but all games. Partly because I frequently play late at night with the volume low after the wife and kids have gone to bed, and partly because we've gotten into the habit of watching TV and movies with the subtitles on, and now it's weird to me to watch or play something without them.

#41 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

Yep, I always play with subtitles on. I play late at night sometimes and don't want to bother my neighbors, or my girlfriend if she's trying to sleep etc.

Dialogue tends to be quite relative to the action scenes in games as well, which makes that more of an issue.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#42 TemporaryCookie

TemporaryCookie

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

looks soooo good! i'm going to play another run through from me1 to me2! i haven't been this excited about a game in years!
Posted Image

#43 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

For Mass Effect and Bioshock, I tend to leave the subtitles on. For other games, I don't.

One thing I've noticed in ME1 and ME2 is the occasional difference between spoken dialogue and the subtitle text, usually not saying a "the" or the like between the two.

#44 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

"An Inquisition" You Say?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

I never play with subs on. It hurts the experience somewhat for me; plus I never have a problem hearing what is said (by now I could probably quote both games, anyways).

#45 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

Article on ArsTechnica about ME3's release:

http://arstechnica.c...40#comments-bar

Some of the comments are worth reading for amusement's value. Article is nothing new, seen it all in here and the previous thread.

#46 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

Some of the comments are worth reading for amusement's value.

I can understand some disappointment over the path not taken. It stings me that JRPGs continue to embrace obsolete mechanics like pressing buttons in spite of the shining future promised by Final Fantasy XII. 8-)

But these BioWare fans are the worst! I've not seen a group of people who seem to hate so vehemently the very thing that they are ostensibly fans of.

#47 cgarb84

cgarb84

KEAK HEEM IN DA BALLS!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

The first thing I do when I get a new game is turn the subtitles on in the options. Sometimes my hearing sucks or something is loud around me and I never want to miss anything, especially in a series like this or other RPG's.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

[LINK]

Some of the comments are worth reading for amusement's value.

I can understand some disappointment over the path not taken.

But these BioWare fans are the worst! I've not seen a group of people who seem to hate so vehemently the very thing that they are ostensibly fans of.

I can't even begin to count the number of my brain cells that have died due to reading most of the user comments/replies on various websites and forums (I'm looking at you, BioWare forums) about the Mass Effect series as a whole.

----------------

Changing topics, now.

Who do you think the unidentified Male sniper (from the reveal trailer) is? Is he an unnamed civilian simply used to showcase the devastation brought forth by the Reapers, and how Shepard is the hero that everyone is looking for?

Is he a specific character that we may have heard of or seen before?

Maybe a potential squadmate for ME3?

#49 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

My feeling is that he will not be a squadmate or major character. The whole 'grizzled male military vet' persona is a little too close to Zaeed, Jacob, and even Shepard himself. They've done this character before.

#50 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

Yep, I always play with subtitles on. I play late at night sometimes and don't want to bother my neighbors, or my girlfriend if she's trying to sleep etc.

Dialogue tends to be quite relative to the action scenes in games as well, which makes that more of an issue.

Yeah I used to have subs on with Mass Effect but with Mass Effect 2 I just used headphones. Sub titles breaks the cinematic experience imo.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3

#51 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

Changing topics, now.

Who do you think the unidentified Male sniper (from the reveal trailer) is? Is he an unnamed civilian simply used to showcase the devastation brought forth by the Reapers, and how Shepard is the hero that everyone is looking for?

I don't think he's a civilian, mainly because he's been dosing himself on stims / painkillers to keep himself going from his leg wound that was bandaged up. Seems like local Earth military, probably an Alliance marine that was in the middle of London when the excrement hit the circular rotating ventilation object.

I'm sure Shepard's looked in two ways in regards to the Reapers. One side looks at him/her as our savior and the only one that can defend Earth and the rest of the galaxy against them. The other side looks at him/her as the person who stirred up the beehive of the Reapers and that we wouldn't have had any issues without what he's/she's done against them.

Second group is obviously batshit crazy to have their opinion.

Someone mentioned in the leak thread that the person with the sniper rifle is Grayson, which I'm assuming is from one of the books. Not sure of the reference otherwise.

I'm sure if he's someone that's been brought up in the books and Bioware considers them to be canon, he could be a squadmate or NPC.

#52 Arikado

Arikado

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Someone mentioned in the leak thread that the person with the sniper rifle is Grayson, which I'm assuming is from one of the books. Not sure of the reference otherwise.

I'm sure if he's someone that's been brought up in the books and Bioware considers them to be canon, he could be a squadmate or NPC.

It's definitely NOT Grayson. Book spoilers here:
Spoiler

Posted Image

#53 shrike4242

shrike4242

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

Spoiler
Well, so much for that thought. :dunce: As I said, didn't read the books yet, so obviously wouldn't know that fact.

I guess the unknown sniper is Alliance Red Shirt #1 until more info is determined?

Edited by shrike4242, 14 December 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#54 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:15 AM

*boner metropolis* that trailer showed no gameplay but it got me so pumped i dont care if its in 2d.
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#55 koheed

koheed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:24 AM

I'm think the character the trailer will end up being someone you interact with on Earth, but I don't think he'll be party member (and I'm likely wrong.) Just a hunch.

As for subtitles, I almost always have them on. Too many concerts in small venues reeked havoc on my ears. Plus, as I've verified with FFXIII right now, it's easier for me to identify made up words.

#56 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

Spoiler

My bad I haven't read the third book yet, just the first 2.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#57 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

I don't think he's a civilian, mainly because he's been dosing himself on stims / painkillers to keep himself going from his leg wound that was bandaged up. Seems like local Earth military, probably an Alliance marine that was in the middle of London when the excrement hit the circular rotating ventilation object.

I'm sure Shepard's looked in two ways in regards to the Reapers. One side looks at him/her as our savior and the only one that can defend Earth and the rest of the galaxy against them. The other side looks at him/her as the person who stirred up the beehive of the Reapers and that we wouldn't have had any issues without what he's/she's done against them.

Second group is obviously batshit crazy to have their opinion.

Yeah I was initially thinking that too when I saw it on the internet but from the books you'd know you'd tell if it was Grayson. However it could be a pre-before that shit happened to him Grayson. I don't know if he did operations on Earth though, (I do know he did on Omega).

As for the people that are mad at Sheppard for shaking the bee hive. But it was Saren's fault not his! haha

Spoiler

I think Anderson should take the place of Pressley, the officer that was killed with the initial attack in ME2, on the Normandy. He's a good officer type. ^^

#58 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

Because I've been thinking about it all day, here's what my canon Shepard will look like for Mass Effect 3:

Gender - Male (Default)
Background - Spacer/War Hero
ME1 Class - Vanguard
ME1 Psychological Profile - Paragon (max)
ME1 Level - 60
ME1 Love Interest - N/A
Rachni Queen - Alive
Wrex - Alive
Virmire Survivor - Kaidan
Side Missions - 100% complete
Council Status - Alive
Human Rep - Anderson
ME1 DLC Missions - 100% complete

ME2 Class - Vanguard
ME2 Psychological Profile - Paragon (max)
ME2 Level - 30
Spectre Status - Re-instated
ME2 Love Interest - Tali'Zorah vas Normandy
N7 Missions - 100% complete
Collector Base Status - Destroyed
Normandy SR2 Crew Status - Alive (all)
ME2 Squadmate Status - Alive (all)
ME2 DLC Missions - 100% complete

8-)

---------------------------------------------------

What do you guys have lined up for your canon Shepard? If it helps, you can copy/paste the template I used up above to save yourself a lot of typing:

Gender -
Background -
ME1 Class -
ME1 Psychological Profile -
ME1 Level -
ME1 Love Interest -
Rachni Queen -
Wrex -
Virmire Survivor -
Side Missions -
Council Status -
Human Rep -
ME1 DLC Missions -

ME2 Class -
ME2 Psychological Profile -
ME2 Level -
Spectre Status -
ME2 Love Interest -
N7 Missions -
Collector Base Status -
Normandy SR2 Crew Status -
ME2 Squadmate Status -
ME2 DLC Missions -

#59 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

I can't even begin to count the number of my brain cells that have died due to reading most of the user comments/replies on various websites and forums (I'm looking at you, BioWare forums) about the Mass Effect series as a whole.

----------------

Changing topics, now.

I think his only purpuse is to be in the trailer.

#60 Arikado

Arikado

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

Here's my main Shepard. I'm planning on having a handful of characters ready to go for ME3, but this one is the only one that matters. 8-)

Gender - Male, custom face
Background - Spacer/War Hero
ME1 Class - Infiltrator
ME1 Psychological Profile - Paragon (max)
ME1 Level - 60
ME1 Love Interest - Liara
Rachni Queen - Alive
Wrex - Alive
Virmire Survivor - Kaidan
Side Missions - 100% complete
Council Status - Alive
Human Rep - Anderson
ME1 DLC Missions - 100% complete

ME2 Class - Infiltrator
ME2 Psychological Profile - Paragon (max)
ME2 Level - 30
Spectre Status - Re-instated
ME2 Love Interest - Tali
N7 Missions - 100% complete
Collector Base Status - Destroyed
Normandy SR2 Crew Status - Alive (all)
ME2 Squadmate Status - Alive (all)
ME2 DLC Missions - 100% complete

There are a ton of things left out of here, too. Stuff like: How did you let Garrus deal with Sidonis? Did you kill Morinth, or did you betray Samara? What did you do with the new Genophage data? Even smaller things from loyalty missions in ME2 and sidequests in both games could pop up somewhere. I'm hoping BioWare goes all out with the finale and really rewards us for every decision we made throughout the course of the series.
Posted Image