Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
9629 replies to this topic

#8641 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Mass Effect voice actors Troy Baker, Jennifer Hale, Kimberly Brooks, and Keith Szarabajka are in BioShock Infinite.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#8642 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Mass Effect voice actors Troy Baker, Jennifer Hale, Kimberly Brooks, and Keith Szarabajka are in BioShock Infinite.

I saw Troy, really what game isn't he in lol, and Courtnee in a behind the scenes where Levine had them really emotionally invested in a conversation - quality voice acting- but yeah didn't know about the others.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#8643 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

I saw Troy, really what game isn't he in lol

Baker is always welcome in any game as far as I'm concerned; he always does an excellent job. I first heard him as Yuri in Tales of Vesperia. It's too bad his Mass Effect role happened to be one of the silliest and least-liked characters in the whole franchise. :lol: He is rapidly becoming the next Nolan North/Steve Blum though where he seems to be in literally everything. :lol:

Also on the VA tip, the two female leads in Fuse are played by Jennifer Hale and Ali Hillis. Going to be tough for me not to imagine them as lesbian lovers since I always pair up fem Shepard with Liara. 8-)

#8644 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Needs more Laura Bailey.

leda-doing-le-worm-xd-o.gifaw-ledas-cute-o.gif

I play bad games

If anyone isn't going to use their code I'd love them forever.

I don't like Godzilla.

#8645 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Needs more Laura Bailey.

Scroll down, she was on there. :lol: Just not as a main character.

Really hoping she returns for Saints Row IV, my Boss just won't be the same without her performance.

[She plays Oriana Lawson in ME3 btw]

#8646 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

That's a darn good voice cast. Infinite and Tomb Raider might be the first games to pull me away from ME3 (that aren't ME2).

Also, Jennifer Hale was in Wreck It Ralph, but I couldn't place which character. It wasn't a main character, as far as I know.
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#8647 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Baker is always welcome in any game as far as I'm concerned; he always does an excellent job. I first heard him as Yuri in Tales of Vesperia. It's too bad his Mass Effect role happened to be one of the silliest and least-liked characters in the whole franchise. :lol: He is rapidly becoming the next Nolan North/Steve Blum though where he seems to be in literally everything. :lol:

Also on the VA tip, the two female leads in Fuse are played by Jennifer Hale and Ali Hillis. Going to be tough for me not to imagine them as lesbian lovers since I always pair up fem Shepard with Liara. 8-)

God dammit now I have to buy Fuse.

#8648 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

That's a darn good voice cast. Infinite and Tomb Raider might be the first games to pull me away from ME3 (that aren't ME2).

Also, Jennifer Hale was in Wreck It Ralph, but I couldn't place which character. It wasn't a main character, as far as I know.

Yeah she was one of the townsfolk.

The entire time I watched that movie I was thinking, "get this comedy actress back on the Glee/Apatow set she came from and let Hale have the lead Marine role."

#8649 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yeah she was one of the townsfolk.

The entire time I watched that movie I was thinking, "get this comedy actress back on the Glee/Apatow set she came from and let Hale have the lead Marine role."

That would have been pretty badass. I'm not a Jane Lynch fan and that character got on my nerves just because of the voice. Everything about her is pushed and fake. Awesome movie, though. Lots of gaming in-jokes, Zangief's great monologue and a cool Skrillex cameo.
Chubbyninja1319.png

#8650 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

God dammit now I have to buy Fuse.

I know right. I think Hale is using her English accent aka Bastila Shan voice. Maybe that makes it even more desirable. :)

The armor was already extremely N7-esque. Put Hale in the role and change her hair to red and she could have just been Commander Shepard straight out. :lol:

Spoiler

#8651 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Nice to hear that some of our favorite VA talent in ME is finding good work elsewhere.

#8652 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Can't discuss Troy Baker without some STEELGUARD! (also features Ali Hillis :) )

#8653 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

That would have been pretty badass. I'm not a Jane Lynch fan and that character got on my nerves just because of the voice. Everything about her is pushed and fake.

No offense, but if that's what you think, then you missed the point of her character. And the joke. :applause:
Fight for the Lost

#8654 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

I get that the character is supposed to be over the top, but EVERY character that Lynch does is the exact same. It just gets on my nerves....except in Best in Show. Great movie.
Chubbyninja1319.png

#8655 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#8656 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

I get that the character is supposed to be over the top, but EVERY character that Lynch does is the exact same. It just gets on my nerves....except in Best in Show. Great movie.

I get what you're saying about Lynch, and I'm not really a fan of her or anything, but you can't really compare Lynch to Hale. Lynch is an actual actor, and a voice is part of that (and I thought she did an OK job in Ralph). As for Hale, she is a voice actress, and even though she's been in everything, she has nothing on Lynch. I'll take an actor over a voice actor any day of the week in an animated film. What Hale does is OK for video games, but I don't think she or any other professional VA wouldn't make it in a large role in any Pixar, Dreamworks, etc type of movie. It's also about that name on dat movie poster. The majority of movie goers would likely find more solace in "Lynch" than "Hale" on the poster and credits. Also, I'm not a huge fan of Hale, so there is that. She's OK, but with the amount of praise she gets, you'd think she is the Queen of Voice Acting.

Also, if you haven't seen Party Down, Lynch is pretty funny in it. But you should watch Party Down because it's awesome
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#8657 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Acting with only your voice vs. acting with your entire presence are two totally different skills. Some people have both skills-- I actually thought Lynch did a fine job in Wreck-It Ralph, and two of my favorite ever voice-only performances are by "actor-actors": Martin Sheen as the Illusive Man and Ellen Degeneres as Dory in Finding Nemo.

But then you have things like Disney's dubs of Miyazaki movies like Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service, where they hired actors based on Hollywood fame rather than actual VA talent or appropriateness for the role. So you've got a lot of good actors who don't know how to give a voice-only performance, and all the roles are either flat and wooden or wildly over-emoted. Versus something like Cowboy Bebop with excellent performances by VA pros like Steve Blum and Wendee Lee.

Some actors have both skills, many only have one or the other. It's all about being appropriate for the role.

To end, here are some of our favorite VAs giving actor-actor performances. :D

#8658 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

I loved Keener on Castle and I'll never forget the fish sandwich promo he had for McDonalds lol because I could see Garrus eating a fish sandwich from McDonalds as I heard the radio ad.
All I could find was this:

"Can it wait? I'm right in the middle of some McNuggets..."

LOL
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#8659 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Acting with only your voice vs. acting with your entire presence are two totally different skills. Some people have both skills-- I actually thought Lynch did a fine job in Wreck-It Ralph, and two of my favorite ever voice-only performances are by "actor-actors": Martin Sheen as the Illusive Man and Ellen Degeneres as Dory in Finding Nemo.

But then you have things like Disney's dubs of Miyazaki movies like Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service, where they hired actors based on Hollywood fame rather than actual VA talent or appropriateness for the role. So you've got a lot of good actors who don't know how to give a voice-only performance, and all the roles are either flat and wooden or wildly over-emoted. Versus something like Cowboy Bebop with excellent performances by VA pros like Steve Blum and Wendee Lee.

Some actors have both skills, many only have one or the other. It's all about being appropriate for the role.

I actually enjoyed the English voice work on Kiki's, but that could be just because I love the film. And really, that argument gets into English VS Japanese voices, since the film is intended to be heard in Japanese. And some of the English voice work on Miyazaki films are amazing. Nausicaa and Howl's, most notably.

To go along with Sheen as the illusive man, I loved Carrie Anne Moss as Aria.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#8660 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I do like the dub for Nausicaa. Kiki's is one of my very favorite films, and the dub isn't all-around terrible, but Phil Hartman does almost single-handedly ruin it with a tone-deaf and completely inappropriate performance as Jiji-- not even his fault really, more the fault of whatever writer decided to turn Jiji into a Disney-style wisecracking sidekick. I have absolutely no problem with dubs if they're well done, I just think the best dubs come from hiring proven VA talent, not just going for recognizable Hollywood names.

Carrie-Anne Moss I actually feel is an example of spending big money for a big-name actress and getting a performance that's perfectly competent, but nothing special or memorable. Any number of no-name VO actresses could have given that performance. Just IMO. Whereas Seth Green and Martin Sheen were money extremely well spent.

#8661 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

Phew. Gold Solo's done. I am a Lone Wolf. Took 12 attempts, but I finally got it done. I know a lot of people can do it, and it's not *that* special. But, I'm proud to have earned the banner. I didn't do the so-called easy mode Krogan Battlemaster w/ Reegar build, I tried it once and just didn't like it at all. I used the Geth Soldier with the Geth Pulse Rifle because I still don't have the Harrier. The key was just to keep away from the Banshee's. Everything else I just burnt. Roasted Ravager = delicious!
Chubbyninja1319.png

#8662 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Grats!! Yeah the kroguard was super easy but exciting still. How long did your solos take?

Look, there's no easy way to ask this so I'm just gonna do it...

Does anyone want to be gay lovers with me in Fable 3?

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#8663 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Grats!! Yeah the kroguard was super easy but exciting still. How long did your solos take?

Embarrassingly long. 72 mins for the first and 90 for the second. But I made it out alive. ;)
Chubbyninja1319.png

#8664 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

ugh, I got bored on my gold solos with the kroguard and my first was 43 and 2nd 2as 38

Look, there's no easy way to ask this so I'm just gonna do it...

Does anyone want to be gay lovers with me in Fable 3?

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#8665 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, I do like the dub for Nausicaa. Kiki's is one of my very favorite films, and the dub isn't all-around terrible, but Phil Hartman does almost single-handedly ruin it with a tone-deaf and completely inappropriate performance as Jiji-- not even his fault really, more the fault of whatever writer decided to turn Jiji into a Disney-style wisecracking sidekick. I have absolutely no problem with dubs if they're well done, I just think the best dubs come from hiring proven VA talent, not just going for recognizable Hollywood names.

Carrie-Anne Moss I actually feel is an example of spending big money for a big-name actress and getting a performance that's perfectly competent, but nothing special or memorable. Any number of no-name VO actresses could have given that performance. Just IMO. Whereas Seth Green and Martin Sheen were money extremely well spent.

I have never listened to the dub for Kiki's (and never EVER will), but from what you're saying, it sounds like the writer's fault (the person who translated the script for a more "American" friendly audience). I strongly suggest you listen to the Japanese track with English subtitles. In the proper track, Jiji doesn't come off as a wise-cracking sidekick. He comes off more as Kiki's partner. Yes, a few lines are very much "sidekick" territory, but the majority? Partner, easily.

Also, I agree with you on Carrie-Anne Moss, Seth Green, and Martin Sheen. No real reason to hire Moss (generic), but Green and Sheen were well worth it. To the point where you couldn't see anyone else playing the role. The simple truth is that even though your favorite actor/actress may SEEM like a perfect fit for a role, you never know what kind of acting you'll get. Moss could've been perfect, no doubt. But it's clear that the director's and our vision, didn't mesh together. Seemingly perfect people, don't necessarily make the best choices.

Edited by dualedge2, 17 March 2013 - 10:51 PM.

Fight for the Lost

#8666 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Yeah I've got the DVD of Kiki's with the original Japanese audio and the dub track. It's a shame because the dub would be passable if not for Hartman. Definitely stick with the original audio for that movie.

Now, something like Cowboy Bebop, I can't even imagine listening to the Japanese because to me, Steve Blum IS Spike Spiegel, period (not to mention the other outstanding performances).

#8667 dualedge2

dualedge2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

Yea, Cowboy Bebop has a pretty decent dub. It's the rare case where you can't really go wrong with either.

Heard Goldenboy's dub? Man, that guy was REALLY into it. Excellent dub there.
Fight for the Lost

#8668 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

If my ears aren't deceiving me, it's Ali Hillis (our own Liara T'Soni) playing the new female main character in Gears Judgment.

#8669 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

If my ears aren't deceiving me, it's Ali Hillis (our own Liara T'Soni) playing the new female main character in Gears Judgment.

Nothing on IMDB other than Cole/Baird, but Ali was in Amazing Spiderman, Ninja Gaiden 3, Naruto: UNS 3, Resident Evil Revelations, SWTOR, and Kid Icarus in specific, credited, character roles in the last year plus outside of being Lightning and Liara.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#8670 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

Got Judgement today and it's definately Ali, no question.

42869.png