steampowered.com Railworks 2 train sim complete dlc pack $199.99 (reg. $1073)

PublikDefender

CAGiversary!
Railworks DLC Complete Pack (windows pc)

Individual price: $1073.35
Package price: -$873.36

78+% Off All DLC Pack until 2/14 10AM PST: $199.99
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7282/

System req for railworks 2:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/

• Windows xp/vista/7

• Processor: 1.7 GHz or faster
  • Memory: 512 MB RAM
  • Graphics: 64 MB with Pixel Shader 2.0** (AGP PCIe only)
  • DirectX®: Version 9.0c (Included)
  • Hard Drive: 6 GB of free space
  • Sound: Direct X 9.0c compatible
(note: railworks 2 has gone on sale in the past for $19.99 but is currently $39.99)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, I thought you made an error in the topic title pricing, but nope

and it doesn't even include the actual game itself, I don't know what to say

damn... no interest in railroads... but that discount is really tempting... maybe I should gift one to myself just in case I meet a railroad buff or something and this would be a great gift?

That's one hell of a deal, if you're into this sort of thing, but I have a feeling anyone who is already has all or most of these anyway.

You tools who are hating obviously never played any serious PC sim games. Eg. MS Flight Sim, or anything else with expansions and add ons.

It's not quite the same as your other games when you get into this sim stuff. It's like going OMFGWTFBBQ all the LEGO dlc is so ridonkulous! I already bought the set, now I have to buy the train station, and the pirate ship, and the race track, and the hospital, and the...

And yes, it is just new engines and cars. But the people who are really into this stuff want that.

I'm not gonna lie.

I feel like I could probably buy a real train for the original price of all this DLC.

That's just silly.

... Though, I feel sorry for anyone who bought this before the discount. :p

Is this even remotely a good deal? First - its a damn train sim (with shitastic graphics) and second - its $200!!! What the - hell no. Some of their expansions are more expensive than the damn game itself. Utterly stupid.

I could never understand model train enthusiasts. I mean, I've seen the guys that spend tens of thousands of dollars turning their basements into a gigantic landscapes covered in tracks.

I suppose in comparison to that, $250 is a steal.

[quote name='vamn']I could never understand model train enthusiasts. I mean, I've seen the guys that spend tens of thousands of dollars turning their basements into a gigantic landscapes covered in tracks.

I suppose in comparison to that, $250 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

people spend 1000's of dollars on all sorts of hobbies. they do what makes them happy.

[quote name='dabamus']You tools who are hating obviously never played any serious PC sim games. Eg. MS Flight Sim, or anything else with expansions and add ons.[/QUOTE]
yea, that's why we're hating on it...

[quote name='Matedawg11']HOLY CRAP! That is one expensive virtual train simulation![/QUOTE]

^This

[quote name='mcdaking84']if you buy this, you should probably just kill yourself[/QUOTE]

^ OMG this

[quote name='psynide']people spend 1000's of dollars on all sorts of hobbies. they do what makes them happy.[/QUOTE]

OMG. Watch this train! I bet it's going to go right down the track! A thrill a minute!

I bought this game during the last sale for the lulz...set everything ti hard difficulty, etc.,crashed a train in the first minute, haven't played it since.

Damn! I just bought this @ full price last week!

No jk. Seriously? This pricing reminds me of the app store lunatics. Anyone remember the "You're Rich" app that was like $10,000? They actually sold ~4 of em. All the app did was display "You're Rich" money well spent I guess. Ha!

I'm not sure how a rail simulator is any more of a retarded waste of time than Call of Duty, but okay.

[quote name='Spokker']I'm not sure how a rail simulator is any more of a retarded waste of time than Call of Duty, but okay.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

Anybody who hasn't been here a while may not realize that anything over x dollars ($100?) gets a whole bunch of stupid responses like in this thread.

CAG does not always mean a scratched up $9 game at GameStop ok?

[quote name='M3wThr33']OMG. Watch this train! I bet it's going to go right down the track! A thrill a minute![/QUOTE]

the point is, what you do for fun might seem boring to others, vise versa.

[quote name='mkaliaz']See...if you ever wondered how bad DLC could possibly get, here it is. Over $1000 in DLC?!?[/QUOTE]Most of the DLC is made by 3rd-parties, not the developer, just like Microsoft Flight Simulator. You can purchase the game, fire up the route builder and release your finished product, either for pay or for free.

You don't have to buy it all. You don't have to buy any of it.

Most people don't buy it all, but pick and choose what they like.

The base game has plenty of content. I have not purchased any add-ons and feel like I've gotten a full-fledged game. Unlike Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games, content was not withheld and sold as DLC later. This isn't DLC where the content is on the disc and you buy a "key" to unlock it off of the Xbox Live Marketplace.

While i know almost no one is going to buy this $200 deal, its not much worse than the people that pay ~$90 for Call of duty every year, game and map packs.

[quote name='dabamus']I'd get it if I had $250 to blow.

I love railroad stuff, and I miss MS Train Sim.[/QUOTE]

You should buy the base game. (Yes, I do own the base game.) If you like MS Train Sim, you'll feel right at home with Railworks.

Railworks is a direct descendant of MS Train Simulator, through several generations and different parent companies.

MS Train Simulator -> Rail Simulator -> Railworks -> Railworks2.

It's not terribly "fun", no, but it's an excellent simulator.

I haven't bought any DLC and don't really feel compelled to. There's lots of tracks and trains in the base game for casual rail fans.

The appeal of the DLC, i think, is mainly to get tracks that you have a specific interest in. I would buy an add-on for track that runs through the city where I live, for instance. It's a very rare bird that wants it all, though. $200 is a crazy price. For more content than you could play in a lifetime.

I was gonna buy the base game during the holiday sale, but I didn't have anything in paypal at that time.

Next time it goes on sale I'll buy it then.

[quote name='burz88']While i know almost no one is going to buy this $200 deal, its not much worse than the people that pay ~$90 for Call of duty every year, game and map packs.[/QUOTE]
exactly. and i shelled out $100 on gran turismo 5 ce in november (1st time i ever bought a ce at msrp). this isn't for me, but everyone's passionate about something.

[quote name='turls']Anybody who hasn't been here a while may not realize that anything over x dollars ($100?) gets a whole bunch of stupid responses like in this thread.

CAG does not always mean a scratched up $9 game at GameStop ok?[/QUOTE]

This is so true. I know I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person on CAG who has spend more then 200 bucks on DLC for rockband. If the deal isn't for you why feel the need to hate on it?

[quote name='KingDox']This is so true. I know I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person on CAG who has spend more then 200 bucks on DLC for rockband. If the deal isn't for you why feel the need to hate on it?[/QUOTE]

I don't even want to know how much I've spent on Rock Band DLC. I'm well over 100 songs in. But that's nickel and diming over an extended period of time. Not quite the same thing.

Bro, I was JUST looking for a way to expand my virtual train set with some overpriced DLC. This is fucking perfect and for only $200! Bought.

I was looking for a basic (circle) train set for underneath the christams tree this year at a hobby/toy store and was amazed at how expensive they are.

I could've bought this sim AND a monitor to put under the tree to display it on!

Heck, I could've bought 6 NEAT remote controlled cars at the same store for the same price. Then tied them all together and driven my "train" anywhere.

Value is in the eye of the consumer. If my wife saw a $1000 handbag for only $200, she'd probably buy it and feel she got a great deal. Me... notsomuch.

[quote name='Spokker']I'm not sure how a rail simulator is any more of a retarded waste of time than Call of Duty, but okay.[/QUOTE]
it's not, this one just cost's more :/

I want to quote like half the posts in this thread FT.

Seriously, $800 off sounds like a hell of a deal, but not when it's still $200 for a pack of DLC. How do you justify something like this? Or better yet, how do you justify pricing this at $1073 to begin with?

I can imagine that this game might seem like a pretty good deal to model train collectors (or is it model train players?). Buying actual train models must add up in cost really quickly. It looks like a single high quality train model goes for $70+. Maybe in comparison this game is actually a really good deal for its target audience.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, and this will sound ignorant -- but what do all the buttons on trains do? I can see a control for speeding up and slowing down, but what does everything else do?

It kind of seems like the DLC was way overpriced in the first place($21 for 3 trains and 4 levels really?) so that they could lower it to just overpriced and make money off people buying something because it is "on sale"

bread's done
Back