Movie Studios piss off Theater Owners with $30 OD, Owners fight back!

$30 is a very competitive price unless you go to the movie by yourself during the day and refuse to buy any drinks or snacks.

[quote name='Scorch']$30 is a very competitive price unless you go to the movie by yourself during the day and refuse to buy any drinks or snacks.[/QUOTE]

Not when you can rent it 3 months later for 30x less.

And who the hell buys food and drinks at a movie theater? You're basically sticking your ass up in the air and begging to be raped.

[quote name='Scorch']$30 is a very competitive price unless you go to the movie by yourself during the day and refuse to buy any drinks or snacks.[/QUOTE]
6 people can go see a movie for that. ($5 Sunday Matinee :D)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Not when you can rent it 3 months later for 30x less.[/QUOTE]

That's not the issue. If you want to play that card, you can wait an additional month and pick it up on Redbox or a few more months and stream it on Netflix.

Eventually, I'm sure they'd like to get it onto on demand the same day as the theater, so here's the big question:

If you want to see a movie on opening night (a huge release, something like the Avengers movie in 2012) with multiple friends, would you rather meet at a house and pitch in or each pay $9 at the theater?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather invite a few friends over and have them pitch in.. maybe order some pizza, beer, whatever.

It seems like a lot of money, but once you factor everything in, it's not too terrible. I'd have a hard time paying $30 for it if I was the only one watching it, though.

Even with a ticket and drink/popcorn I'd pay less than $20 around here. Only advantage would be not having the dumbasses who seem to come to movies solely to ruin it for everyone else.

I completely agree with Scorch, as long as it's movies that are still new and in theaters then it's a great deal. Especially if you have a large family.

$30 is pretty cheap if you're watching with a group, but I kind of like going to the theater with friends. It's an excuse to get out of the house, and nobody I know has much of a home entertainment setup...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Not when you can rent it 3 months later for 30x less.

And who the hell buys food and drinks at a movie theater? You're basically sticking your ass up in the air and begging to be raped.[/QUOTE]

You don't buy food and drink at a theater because it's a rip roaring deal you do it for the experience. Every mother fucker knows it's a rip off and they accept that walking in. God damn.

From what Scorch was saying this gets better and better. If I go out opening day to a movie its with 8+ friends and seats together are a bitch plus all the loud people. So to pop the movie on someone's big screen and sit on the sofa with a pizza is pretty sweet to think about.

I wouldn't be against this if a group of people wanted to get together for it and we all chip in $5-10 for movie and food/drinks. I know a group of friends went to see Battle:LA in Feb (I passed). So I can see potential there as a PPV type event.

I personally see going to the theater as a social event. Sure I hate people and over paying for gallon sized pop/popcorn, but it's a date or a night out or a way to see an action flick on a humongous screen with professional sound setups. I don't think that for people my age and up (I'm in my 20s), this perspective won't be changing any time soon either.

I can see theater owners losing BIG TIME though because this will put high quality rips of new releases into the p2p pool that usually don't surface until near the retail BD/DVD release date.

Plus you know your friends are going to be jerks and show up and not pay for anything, eat your pizza, sit on your couch with their muddy shoes, punch you in the face with their Unity ring, and basically be a jerk until you kick their ass into a table.

wow thats a pretty dick move bad for theatres but very good for consumers because now you can get together with a group of friends and rent new flicks on demand which depending on how many people chip in will save you alot of money in the long run.

hell in theory couldnt a person with enough space just run movies from their homes and charge like a buck or 2 a pop to see new flicks?

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by almost promoting pirating. Like QiG said, the movies will be on torrent sites in DVD quality the second they hit on demand. Not many people are going to want to pay $30 for a rental when they can download the same exact thing for free.

[quote name='Strell']Plus you know your friends are going to be jerks and show up and not pay for anything, eat your pizza, sit on your couch with their muddy shoes, punch you in the face with their Unity ring, and basically be a jerk until you kick their ass into a table.[/QUOTE]

Never a dull moment at Strell's house!

I'd maybe consider it. It would really only happen under the circumstance that a bunch of friends come over though.

I can see how this might be a plus for some but only if the price is right..

Pros:
-Save on gas
-Eat anything you want (Chinese food!) during the movie.
-Watch it in the privacy of your on home without an ahole checking his facebook status/text messages every few minutes.
-Pause the movie/rewind any time!

Cons:
-That 30$ tag
-Will hurt everyone working at a theater...so people will lose their jobs.
-Eventually kill the movie theater business.
-No more IMAX :whistle2:|

Recently I've been mostly going to the movies in NYC. So for me, this is just about the same price as 2 movie tickets + transit, and might be worth it.

Did anybody read the deal breaker on this one?

Variety reports that the studios won't release a title to Home Premiere if it's still doing well in theaters. That means that the majority of what ends up on the service will be things you probably never wanted to see in the first place, or that you could have waited weeks, months, or years to see for a lot less than $30.

So you're not getting Toy Story 3 in the opening weeks, but probably Mars Needs Moms.

If this is the way it is going to be implemented, I don't imagine this truly hurting anybody on either side. This is basically going to be the studios doing financial damage control for movies that crash and burn from the get-go.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
-No more IMAX :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

I doubt both of these. On Demand movies would be nice, for certain movies, if you can get a group of friends to pitch in. But it's not going to replace the big screen experience. I have an HDTV and 7.1 surround sound, but when Braveheart 2 comes out, you can be sure I'll see it in theaters.

[quote name='Scorch']
Eventually, I'm sure they'd like to get it onto on demand the same day as the theater, so here's the big question:

If you want to see a movie on opening night (a huge release, something like the Avengers movie in 2012) with multiple friends, would you rather meet at a house and pitch in or each pay $9 at the theater?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather invite a few friends over and have them pitch in.. maybe order some pizza, beer, whatever.
[/QUOTE]
I don't have that many friends around here where I could do that, but I guess that makes more sense.

But from what I can tell, they aren't doing that. They are waiting for them to be in theaters at least a month. Not opening night. The movies mentioned in the article are like 2 months old. Just wait another month and they'll be a dollar at Redbox.

[quote name='ced']Did anybody read the deal breaker on this one?

So you're not getting Toy Story 3 in the opening weeks, but probably Mars Needs Moms.

If this is the way it is going to be implemented, I don't imagine this truly hurting anybody on either side. This is basically going to be the studios doing financial damage control for movies that crash and burn from the get-go.[/QUOTE]

It still hurts. Crappy movies still make a good chunk of money opening weekend because people don't know that they're crappy yet.

[quote name='ITDEFX']

Cons:
-Will hurt everyone working at a theater...so people will lose their jobs.
-No more IMAX :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I doubt both of these. On Demand movies would be nice, for certain movies, if you can get a group of friends to pitch in. But it's not going to replace the big screen experience. I have an HDTV and 7.1 surround sound, but when Braveheart 2 comes out, you can be sure I'll see it in theaters.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it will hurt the movie theater business. I'm the operations manager for a 20 plex movie theater. Our sales/attendance have been at an all time low for the past 4 years, if not longer. There are A LOT of factors, but one of them is the movie studios constantly screwing us over.

I'm thankful that I work for a company that is constantly trying to offer a more premiere experience that you would not normally get from a viewing at home (ie Dbox seating), but I think this $30 for new movies is a bad idea. Just another reason for people to not go to the theater. I mean concession food is only high priced because the studios take a majority (92%) of the ticket sales, thus, that is the only profit that a theater gets in order to keep operations up. It's a tough business.

[quote name='super_dawn']It still hurts. Crappy movies still make a good chunk of money opening weekend because people don't know that they're crappy yet.

Yes, it will hurt the movie theater business. I'm the operations manager for a 20 plex movie theater. Our sales/attendance have been at an all time low for the past 4 years, if not longer. There are A LOT of factors, but one of them is the movie studios constantly screwing us over.

I'm thankful that I work for a company that is constantly trying to offer a more premiere experience that you would not normally get from a viewing at home (ie Dbox seating), but I think this $30 for new movies is a bad idea. Just another reason for people to not go to the theater. I mean concession food is only high priced because the studios take a majority (92%) of the ticket sales, thus, that is the only profit that a theater gets in order to keep operations up. It's a tough business.[/QUOTE]

92%!??!! holy shit...that leave only 8 percent to pay your staff and keep the lights/ac going?!?!?

How the hell do movie theaters stay in business?!?!?

[quote name='Strell']Plus you know your friends are going to be jerks and show up and not pay for anything, eat your pizza, sit on your couch with their muddy shoes, punch you in the face with their Unity ring, and basically be a jerk until you kick their ass into a table.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe no one has done something about this post...

[quote name='super_dawn']It still hurts. Crappy movies still make a good chunk of money opening weekend because people don't know that they're crappy yet.[/QUOTE]

So do you read any part of a post before commenting? The post you quoted specifically pointed out that they are thinking about doing this for movies that have are not performing well and are still in theaters. So it's not happening for new releases. It's like the studio's chance to make a last buck before the films drop to the dollar theater or to home release.

[quote name='ITDEFX']92%!??!! holy shit...that leave only 8 percent to pay your staff and keep the lights/ac going?!?!?

How the hell do movie theaters stay in business?!?!?[/QUOTE]

You didn't know this? This is why popcorn and soda are so overpriced at the movies.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't have that many friends around here where I could do that, but I guess that makes more sense.

But from what I can tell, they aren't doing that. They are waiting for them to be in theaters at least a month. Not opening night. The movies mentioned in the article are like 2 months old. Just wait another month and they'll be a dollar at Redbox.[/QUOTE]

Redbox has signed a deal where some of the movies won't be there for at least 28 days until after the dvd comes out. The movie companies will find a way to milk the consumer in every way possible.

Well I often go during the day by myself.

But even if it's just me and my girlfriend at night, it's like $22 for both of us and we never get drinks or food there.

Besides, it's a false equivalency. I go to the theater to see a movie on the huge screen and the kick ass and super loud sound system (that I could never have being a condo dweller). I don't go just because I want to see a movie now rather than waiting a few months, though that is an added bonus.

But if I'm going to watch at home on my 50" tv and crappy 5.1 set up with the volume low enough to not bother the neighbors, I'll wait and rent it from Netflix vs. blowing $30 to rent it on demand while it's in theater's still.

I'd pay $30 a ticket if they would keep the morons out of my local theater.

Seems to me that if I had a nice enough home set up, that would accomplish the same thing.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
-Eventually kill the movie theater business.[/QUOTE]

I think the theater's themselves did a damn good job of that. They ran off most of the cinephiles by not adapting to the cell phone age, and lately more and more average moviegoers that I know have shunned the theater. I'd be glad if most of them went under and it returned to smaller theaters who actually monitor their theaters and show good films.

I don't know why they think they can get away from this... that would be like touring before a CD is released... it's not happening in the music age if you're a big label.

This won't work, will flop and only piss off the major and minor theaters still operating.

I love our outdoor theater, but pulling this will probably put them out since you can throw huge bashes at home for less.... get a projector and do your own drive in.

I'd rather wait 6-12 months and pay $20-25 to own it on Blu-Ray.

Movie theaters are pretty far behind the times though. Theaters are just projectors on screens unless you're going to IMAX type shit...and those who do kinda void any opinion on OD movies costing too much. VHS has better image quality than a standard theater. And don't get me started on the black levels.

Watching it at home On-Demand (ideally in HD) would hurt theaters but I wouldn't mind so long as theaters stayed in business. Because no chick is going to want to go to your Skanktuary (ie: grandma's basement) for a first date to watch a movie On-Demand. The theater is a necessary neutral ground option. And there's like a 10x multiplier for getting lucky if your town has a drive-in.

If it cost $10-15 instead of $30, I'd be all over this like flies on shit. To watch a new movie in 1080p (ideally) with the correct black levels, a preferred audio level, no glue patches from spilled Coke on your floor, and no 6'5" dude with a cowboy hat sitting in front of you would definitely be worth $10-15.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']
Movie theaters are pretty far behind the times though. Theaters are just projectors on screens unless you're going to IMAX type shit...and those who do kinda void any opinion on OD movies costing too much. VHS has better image quality than a standard theater. And don't get me started on the black levels.
[/QUOTE]

what the fuck are you talking about?

^ Exactly what I said. Most theaters have shitty projectors. I guess it depends on the chain, but the two near me (which are pretty major chains) have crap projectors. Everything is fuzzy, the black levels are garbage (more like "dark gray" than black).

[quote name='crunchb3rry']^ Exactly what I said. Most theaters have shitty projectors. I guess it depends on the chain, but the two near me (which are pretty major chains) have crap projectors. Everything is fuzzy, the black levels are garbage (more like "dark gray" than black).[/QUOTE]

then you have crappy theaters. But to say that a standard theater (with film projectors) has worse resolution than VHS just makes you look REALLY stupid.

[quote name='confoosious']then you have crappy theaters. But to say that a standard theater (with film projectors) has worse resolution than VHS just makes you look REALLY stupid.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say anything about resolution, I know film is superior to videotape..

I'm talking about a totally different kind of picture quality. Focus, black levels, etc. A projector has trouble getting good black levels because the nature of a projector is to project light. Black is the absence of light. So you can't get the ideal black levels with a projector, especially considering the screen you are projecting on is white itself. Without good black levels, contrast suffers and the image quality takes a severe hit. I would say my theaters have a black level of about 80% on a ten step gamma pattern. Not so bad for average movies, but for "dark" movies (Goonies, The Descent, etc.) you can hardly see anything at all.

30 is a bit of a reach, but as someone with little ones at home, I'd love the option of being able to see a new movie at home while my kids are asleep. Id probably pay 20 bucks.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I didn't say anything about resolution, I know film is superior to videotape..

I'm talking about a totally different kind of picture quality. Focus, black levels, etc. A projector has trouble getting good black levels because the nature of a projector is to project light. Black is the absence of light. So you can't get the ideal black levels with a projector, especially considering the screen you are projecting on is white itself. Without good black levels, contrast suffers and the image quality takes a severe hit. I would say my theaters have a black level of about 80% on a ten step gamma pattern. Not so bad for average movies, but for "dark" movies (Goonies, The Descent, etc.) you can hardly see anything at all.[/QUOTE]

I agree, Audio and Visual quality doesn't look that good .....until you pay that extra $$$ to see the imax version/digital version of the movie. Sound levels seem to be also weak as the front speaker(s) for dialog always seem to be low. Theaters owners are being sneaky with this shit.

Yea I see the film grain and change over spots but of course once the movie hits home video it's been cleaned up big time.

[quote name='docvinh']You didn't know this? This is why popcorn and soda are so overpriced at the movies.[/QUOTE]

I knew it was a large percentage but I didn't know the number...good grief.
And what does the theater owner get out of this?

I can't really see this taking off...I mean, it's a neat idea and I can see people using it, only for big groups, even corporate set ups (some places have huge TV's, I don't know), but unless someone has a glorious and epic home theater set up, I really don't see many people paying the $30 and using this.

I agree with caltab. I have a 9 month old, plus my wife and I both work. We have not seen a new movie in a year and a half. I don't support a $30 price tag, but having the option is nice if there is a movie we really want to see.

As a retail employee I agree that anything that takes customers out of your building is bad, however as a consumer I always appreciate more options on where I can do business. Local theaters here haven't done much in the last 10 years to get people to continue to come in, maybe a little competition will get them to improve service.

I don't care that much about A/V quality. I go to the theater to see it on a huge screen and with loud sound that I can't get at home. As long as the sound isn't full of static, and the picture is not terribly out of focus etc. I don't care much. I'm not one to obsess over things like black levels or the DNR, EE and other crap the videophiles bitch about with Blu Rays and DVDs.

I'm a fan of movies and I watch them for plot and acting. I'm not an audio or videophile who obsesses over audio and picture quality.

$30 is fine if you have a group and everyone chips in, but considering how much shite Hollywood churns out these days it will be a cold day in hell before I pay $30 to watch a film OD.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I only used Goonies as an example. Seriously, wise the fuck up.[/QUOTE]

I'm just making fun of you because you're complaining about how a standard theater has worse quality than a VHS tape and you expect anyone to take you seriously? Have you seen a VHS tape lately?

I understand exaggerating to make a point but then you continue on with this inane bullshit. Ten step gamma patterns. :roll: Go take your "standard movie theater is worse than VHS" to the home theater forums and see how quickly they laugh you off the board.

That's like saying Wii graphics are worse than arcade machines in the 80s. Just a bit much.

[quote name='LuckyFurby']I can't really see this taking off...I mean, it's a neat idea and I can see people using it, only for big groups, even corporate set ups (some places have huge TV's, I don't know), but unless someone has a glorious and epic home theater set up, I really don't see many people paying the $30 and using this.[/QUOTE]

I can see this happening at sports bars or some other bar types with big screens......charge megabucks for food...it will be like the movie theaters, only worse.

[quote name='docvinh']Redbox has signed a deal where some of the movies won't be there for at least 28 days until after the dvd comes out. The movie companies will find a way to milk the consumer in every way possible.[/QUOTE]

I know that. I personally am willing to wait. Most movies these days don't even deserve the dollar.

bread's done
Back