CAGcast #243: E3 2011 Collector's Bundle

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:21 AM

The gang gives opinions on everything E3 and somebody buys Kinect and meets the creator of Child of Eden. Stay tuned after the show for back to back E3 2011 Audioboos. Get your questions or topics answered via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download - 149 minutes, 89MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN
Free private registration with any domain registration/transfer = CAGFREE

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 16 June 2011 - 06:37 AM.

#2 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:44 AM

Nice this should be interesting.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#3 dsingh2007

dsingh2007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:48 AM

Over 2 hours long, looking forward to this!

#4 MatrixCodeDesigner

MatrixCodeDesigner

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hey Guys, I cannot download this on Itunes for some reason, Itunes will not let it download, can you check into this for me...thanks.....an update...it's fixed

Edited by MatrixCodeDesigner, 16 June 2011 - 08:32 AM.

#5 Pajama_Man

Pajama_Man

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:53 AM

Holy Poop Holes that's a long show!

I can't wait to listen. :D
Join the CAG's Steam Community HERE!
Posted Image

#6 Amnesia Bot

Amnesia Bot

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

Great recap. Glad to hear the CAG party went so well.

I have to mention that I agree with your sentiments on Prey 2, it really does look interesting, and the comparison to how the Far Cry franchise is tied together seems to be pretty spot on. I heard in an interview that the kind of connection with Prey 1 includes the element that while you were the prey in the first game, you're the predator in the second game. Kind of a loose PR statement, but it works for me as a way of tying the games together.

Hearing Wombat's joke about the Wii-U siren brought a smile to my face and made me think "Yes! The man is back!".

#7 FishyJoe

FishyJoe

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

Alright cagcast, i'll do yard work you tell me about the child of eden and wombat.

#8 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

Bbbbbwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm

#9 ChristHBK

ChristHBK

IXA Judgement, Rise Up!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

I was at the CAG Party, ready to talk it up with fellow CAGs,

30 minutes into the party, My friend had a medical emergency and I had to leave... =(

I was looking forward to it ALL YEAR!!!! ARGHH!!!! ;_;
Posted Image

#10 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

BTW, I got stoked when I heard James Mielke name on the CAGcast. He was one of my favorite writers when he was working for GMR.

#11 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

Did the Playstation Move have no presense at E3? Has Sony given up on it already?

As far as Child of Eden goes... I don't mind paying for a short game, as long as it's fun and has replay value. I bought (and enjoyed) Deathsmiles for $50, and that was basically a 30 minute game designed to be replayed several times (Plus it came with a cool Xbox faceplate, which I couldn't even use after buying a Slim two months later).

#12 teknikalei

teknikalei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Dang, wish I had thought to check for this before I started zoning out in Borderlands. A Cagcast would have been a perfect accompaniment. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Glad to see Wombat back!

#13 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Can't wait to listen on my way to work!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#14 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

Shipwreck continues to not get it. I've said it before (my post was read on a recent cagcast) and i'll say it again.

The 3DS will not sell well at its current price (or even at $50 less). Despite what shipwreck thinks, $250 is a lot of money, especially to people with children (FYI Children cost a lot of money to maintain).

I don't care what the current lineup of games will be. . . the core DS user group are young kids age 7-10 (most kids over the age of 11 don't care about it as much). They are the Pokemon/Kirby game players, not the Mario/Zelda gamers. Do you really think a 7 year old kid will convince his parents to fork over $250 for the system and another $40 for a game for christmas? I am a big gamer and even I would be hard pressed to buy my kid one.

There is a reason why the 3-DS is not selling well. . . it's too damned expensive. I am willing to make a bet with shipwreck that his christmas prediction is flat out WRONG.

#15 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

I am also interested in hearing people's opinions on Child of Eden as well. I was eager to get the game after i read Joystiq's recent review, however the $50 price tag and the rumored 1 hour of gameplay has prevented me from doing so. Perhaps i'll wait a year to get it.

#16 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

Cheapy, great story about the Miz. You sounded like a lil schoolgirl. Btw, great taste. REZ RULES! :)
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#17 Protocol Snow

Protocol Snow

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'm proud of Cheapy for getting a Kinect and spending time with it. Hate it if you want, but at least give the thing a fair trial first.

Child of Eden is a magnificent showcase for Kinect. Give the demos of Kinect Sports and Dance Central a try also. I doubt the Kinect Sports demo lets you play online though... the fantastic online experience of Kinect Sports pushes it far beyond just being a Wii Sports clone. Especially online ping pong, man that is so fun.

#18 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

"Somebody" buys Kinect is just like saying "Somebody" tries Rogain....it's not that hard to figure out. Almost two hours long...wow!! Downloading it now!
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#19 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:14 PM

MS conference too corporate. Too MTV. Wanted to puke. Kinect is just showing us the same stuff that didn't work and sell on the Wii. OR showed Kinect Golf which we played 5 years ago on the Wii.

Didn't watch much of Sony's. But better because of Vita which ...is going to do worse than PSP. No one wants console games on their handheld. And the PSP was long ago over taken by the iPOd Touch as a multimedia device in the US.

Love the idea of bringing back the Walkman name!!!

Nintendo conference is best because they have the most human beings doing the conference. Most soul. The execs from MS and Sony could be in any industry, but Iwata and Miyamoto at least could only be in the games industry.

That being said I just don't believe in the Wii U except as a 1st party machine once again. 3rd party support will be ports of 360/PS3 games and then dry out when those consoles go next-gen. Only way that changes is if Wii U becomes more powerful than what the grapevine says it is.

Also like Cheapie I don't believe Nintendo will support online very well or streaming a browser to the tablet controller or other potential cool uses of their tech. They plant that seed in your mind about how cool it can be, but will never go as far as they need to make it a useful tool.

I like the idea of the controller though. The idea of continuing your game if DAd or wife or kid need the TV. Awesome. Also displaying the HUD of some games on the touchscreen. Good idea.

Ship and Cheapie have me worried about ergonomics. NOt the hands apart aspect. That actually is more ergonomic. But the angle of the analog sticks/buttons to the triggers.

Anyway think Nintendo positioned their console in the middle of nowhere. Not 'core enough to fight the next-gen 360/PS3 and too expensive and core for the casual. I would have liked either a <$200 HD console in 2012 as a 1st party game machine. OR something that will be powerful enough to get next-gen 3rd party games and not be left behind by the 3rd party developers. Not something in between.

I'm with Wombat. I came into the conference wanting to get BF3 and Zelda:SS and left feeling the same way.

Except for Mario 3ds. I'm penciling this in as my Avatar. The test of what a game truly designed for 3d can bring to the table on the 3ds.

Oh and was a surprise Cheapie didn't like the Wii U. LIke Rush Limbaugh not liking a democrat.

#20 Kyrox

Kyrox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

Great show. I felt the exact same about the Wii U control and I am really not excited at all. I am a little disappointed that everyone has a kinect now. I guess I will have to pick one up when it is cheap and get that nyko zoom.

#21 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Did Shipwreck say that blacklisting reviewers by not sending them review copies because they gave an awful game the low score it deserved is "fine"?

It's actually disgraceful that certain publishers and their PR companies pull this crap in order to prevent reviewers from doing their jobs properly.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#22 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

no offense but that was pretty useless. You talk about audience reaction to E3 being predictable...hi kettle you're black

really like the audioboos however.

#23 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

I think wombat saying that people who get excited about CG trailers for games are stupid is a bit harsh. How else are you going to announce a new sly cooper or Halo? Have some guy come on stage and say "HALO 4!!!! GOOD NIGHT!" ?

It's part of the hype, i was giddy when i saw that a new Sly Cooper is coming out. . . i am sure i will see game play footage eventually, but for right now just a CG trailer is enough.

#24 combatFlexo

combatFlexo

Who are those guys?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

I look forward to the show every week, I think you could improve the show greatly if Cheapy would just go from segment to segment without annoucing which segment he is going to do. "ok lets do the go daddy sponsor..." Just do it, don't tell us before you do it. You did a great job transitioning into the Wii U Wiii U Wiii U (hilarous wombat, never thought about it that), it was a solid transition from sony to nintendo, if only they could all be that smooth. Great show keep up the good work guys.

#25 Kyrox

Kyrox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Not to be a dick but holy shit you guys comments are negative. Especially since this is a free podcast.

#26 eberm72492

eberm72492

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

Make sure to turn down the volume Cheapy http://inception.davepedu.com/

#27 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

Nintendo conference is best because they have the most human beings doing the conference. Most soul. The execs from MS and Sony could be in any industry, but Iwata and Miyamoto at least could only be in the games industry.

Then how come previous Nintendo keynote's have been ridiculously bad? Remember the guy air drumming? The Miyamoto symphony? The soccer mom crap?

The Nintendo keynote was good because they had new stuff to show. That's it. If Microsoft had a new console to show, I'm sure we'd be hearing what a great presence they had.

#28 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

Good show guys. It looks like the PS3 + Vita = Wii U
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#29 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Did Shipwreck say that blacklisting reviewers by not sending them review copies because they gave an awful game the low score it deserved is "fine"?

It's actually disgraceful that certain publishers and their PR companies pull this crap in order to prevent reviewers from doing their jobs properly.

That's not what he meant. What Shipwreck and over reviewers have acknowledged is that this stuff happens, but it is never made public. It's not unheard of for a company withhold review copies over a bad review.

Anyway, good show. It was nice to see you guys again at the CAG party. I was surprised that it wasn't as crowded as the Facebook group said it was going to be.

#30 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Publishers have every right not to send out free games to outlets that they feel are giving poor review scores - especially if they feel the reviews are unfair. This is consumer journalism and the whole point of the publishers sending games to the press is for them to get coverage on well-trafficked sites that could influence people to purchase the games. Press copies are sent out to generate buzz, which in turn the publishers hope generates sales. So, if an outlet is considered to be unfairly reviewing games, why would a publisher continue to send them products if their reviews could be negatively impacting sales? It just doesn't make sense to do that.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image