Xenoblade and The Last Story in the US?

• Please log in to reply
694 replies to this topic

#271 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

The conversations really make me cringe though. I mean, TLS may have been cliched but at least the dialogue was natural. Aeron's mannerisms are especially weird. He's completely silent and then out of nowhere, he'll say two words.

Maybe he's related to Auron.

#272 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Is this even Motion + compatible?
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#273 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

Is this even Motion + compatible?

I don't think it is but I thought M+ would result in more accurate pointing capabilities since that works on the Wii menu and all. But I can't say I know for sure whether or not the more accurate pointing capabilities requires a game to be M+ compatible.

Currently playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#274 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Ok, just finished the second tower, another great boss fight. They also explained the intro, which was nice... but probably something they should have just shown at the start.:-/

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#275 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

You liked that boss fight? Oh wow. Different strokes for different folks.

Rumor has it Xenoblade was the 3rd best selling game in NA for April... we'll find out if it's true or not in a week when the actual NPD numbers are released.
http://gamasutra.com...nt__analyst.php

I'm kind of having an "I am your father" moment right now.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#276 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

Rumor has it Xenoblade was the 3rd best selling game in NA for April... we'll find out if it's true or not in a week when the actual NPD numbers are released.
http://gamasutra.com...nt__analyst.php

I'm kind of having an "I am your father" moment right now.

Strell bought em all so he can continue his double life.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#277 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

You can't prove that.

NONE OF YOU CAN PROVE THAT.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#278 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

I guess I should also mention that I didn't think the fight "mindnumbingly" frustrating... it was actually pretty simple since I knew what to do because of some book I picked up (and even if I hadn't, it was pretty obvious). It took about 2-3 minutes to figure out how to do it and once I got that down, it took like 2 more minutes to take him down...

Not sure why you found it frustrating.:-k

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#279 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

I suck at action games, that's probably why. I knew how to beat him too.

And yes, I'll believe that Strell bought all the copies of Xenoblade other than mine until we receive copies of all of his bank and credit card accounts proving otherwise.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#280 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

The third tower and boss was actually kinda tough. I died like twice getting to the boss (though it was because of a misleading tutorial) and another 2 times at the boss itself. This boss wasn't as easy to figure out but again, after you do, it doesn't take long (about 5 minutes).

I suck at action games, that's probably why. I knew how to beat him too.

I doubt that. Xenoblade wasn't exactly a sit and wait RPG, nor was TLS and I don't think you complained about either one of those being too tough.

Just to be clear, on the third boss did you:
Spoiler

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#281 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

For some reason I tried to shoot the non-master meat eyeballs and it would never do anything. It was total bullshit.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#282 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

Got tired of Xenoblade and let it sit for a week. Then I started back up a day ago but switched up the party to make it play a little different, which helped a lot since I played the first 50 or so hours with Shulk/Reyn/Sharla.

Finally got the gem crafting stuff figured out to where I pretty much hit mega heat every single time I make something. I'm on
Spoiler
, how much longer until I start finding some level IV gem making materials?

Also, once I again I find myself discovering features waaaaay later than I should have. Just found the part where you can get skills from other people's skill tree using the coins or whatever. Which is awesome because now I have almost everyone wearing heavy armor. Just wish I would have seen that before getting 60+ hours into the game.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#283 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

My copy is still sealed and in my backlog. Wish they released a English guide for this game. The Japanese guide looks awesome!

#284 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

I finished up towers 4 and 5 and the difficulty is picking up a bit but it's still reasonable (though tower 5 was kinda confusing). I'm really liking the direction the story is going but the whole relationship thing is getting kinda stale (talk, give gifts, talk, etc.).

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png

#285 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm 102 hours into Xenoblade now. Holy shit this game is huge.

I read some stuff online about party set-ups for taking on higher level monsters using
Spoiler
, which led me to waste a good 5-10 hours trying to beat higher and higher level stuff. I think the biggest difference I've been successful with is beating a monster 18 levels higher than my party.

The only thing about it is I've pretty much broken the main story. I was generally over-leveled before thanks to the ridiculous amount of EXP the game gives if you go through and do all the side quests, but now I'm at least 10+ levels above the monsters in the current area for the story (
Spoiler
) so I have just been rotating between killing unique monsters, advancing the story, and farming skill books and gem materials to keep from getting bored from just breezing through the story.

Have any of you guys
Spoiler
? Are the skills worth it? I haven't unlocked them yet so I don't know anything other than they exist.

Also,
Spoiler
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#286 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yeah I maxed them out. Can't really remember if they were worth it or not, I just pretty much did everything in the fucking game except for a few missable/bullshit quests and most of the high level uniques.. :lol:
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#287 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Yeah I maxed them out. Can't really remember if they were worth it or not, I just pretty much did everything in the fucking game except for a few missable/bullshit quests and most of the high level uniques.. :lol:

If you don't mind me asking how long did it take.

As for me I'm right about to enter Prison Island, I've done every side mission I could find (except for 1) and I'm clocked in at just under 50 hours. I'm guessing I'm at the halfway mark.

#288 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

If you don't mind me asking how long did it take.

As for me I'm right about to enter Prison Island, I've done every side mission I could find (except for 1) and I'm clocked in at just under 50 hours. I'm guessing I'm at the halfway mark.

I don't know if I would consider Prison Island to be the halfway point. There's still a lot of game left from that part on.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#289 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'd say AFTER being Prison Island, you're around halfway..... through the story. Of course, there's always optional shit.

And I clocked over 160 hours. :lol: I'd estimate at least some of that though was just idling...
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#290 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

Wow 160 hours. I guess 110 hours till I do everything.

I'm sure I'll get to the point when I just say Fuck it to all the side missions. But right now I'm trying to do them all. I'm not using a guide but I am using the Xenoblade wiki to speed things up.

I am over leveled for the main story, but I like that since I get a good challenge from optional enimes anyways.

#291 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

I guess this is the Xenoblade discussion thread too?

I'm like 18 hours in, just got out of the Ether Mines, having killed Xort or whatever his name is. There's the scene with Dunban coming back, metal face getting driven off by a dragon thingee (t-something), then I'm dumped in a meadow-looking area.

I decide I'm high enough level to beat this monster in the ether caves, so I teleport, kill him, teleport again and sell supplies, etc.

Then I discover...I can't figure out how to get back to where I was. The caves/mines are blocked off (I walked through them to make sure). I can't teleport directly back to where I was. I teleported back to Colony 6, since a character mentioned having to go through/around it or something to get to the Bionis' back, only the door's still locked.

So....am I stuck? Did they screw up, or am I missing some passage from Colony 6 to wherever I was when I got out of the mines?

I was enjoying the game quite a bit. Interesting setting, above average story. About the only thing I don't like is I wish the battle system was more like Final Fantasy 12. Like they're similar, but this is missing that ability to program it, and is super spastic when tons of enemies are on screen (to a laughable extent). I've found myself switching to the girl with the gun so I don't have to do much when I engage battles.

1. Should I be worried if it sounds like the CD drive in the Wii is working its ass off non-stop while playing the game? I have a launch console that's rarely been used (probably less than 50 hours total) prior to getting Xenoblade and it sounds like the CD lens is zipping around at top speed in there. Are the saves locked to the console or can I back it up on a SD card?

I think i checked and thankfully they're not locked. Still pisses me off when saves are locked, and LOTS of them are on the Wii for some idiotic reason.

Regarding the drive, my first Wii's drive died, and my second one sounds horrible too, and yeah, it's just constantly thrashing during this. Not confidence inspiring. Hell, it thrashes like mad just displaying the list of items you get from a chest.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#292 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

In the pop-up menu, there's an icon on the left that shows you maps of all the areas. Select the Colony 6 area and you should be able to fast travel back to the area where you were.

I'm 120 hours in now and my disc drive is still going nuts constantly, but it seems to be holding up.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#293 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks! For some reason I missed that "Freight Road" on the Colony 6 map-you have to scroll down on the map to see it, hopefully this is the last time I'll get stuck :lol:
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#294 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

I got tired of grinding, finishing all the little side quests and working on the colony reconstruction, so I just finished the game today. The ending was pretty good, nothing special, but not bad.

I made my New Game + save, but I don't know if I will ever use it since you have to progress through the game to open up the areas all over again.

After 126 hours, I think this is ready to go back on the shelf for a while. I beat Mass Effect 3 before I started this, so I think it's time to knock out a few short games.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#295 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Do you NEED to do the side stuff? Because I got BEYOND sick of it within minutes of Colony 9, and have totally ignored it, save for fighting enemies I see that are low enough level (but not black) as I'm traveling.

The side stuff...well, okay, I LOVE it in New Vegas, so I won't say I don't like it in any game. I did everything I could find in New Vegas and Mass Effect...but I can't stand side stuff in Japanese RPGs, and this just seems like a new low...and then I heard of people spending 80 hours in the first area or something, and am like NO.

Just hope that doesn't mean I'll get stuck. I'm post unlocking that anti-aura ability of the Monado, making my way to some village and then the head. I'd love it if I were halfway done, or even a quarter, but I have a horrible feeling I'm not even 5% lol, and...ugh, how far am I?

I like the story fine, but the side stuff is beyond mind numbingly stupid, and the battle system seems like a super crappy version of FF12's...just lame, and if I were actually having to interact with it... yuck. takes them forever to take down a normal enemy that doesn't give that much experience...they just have crazy high hit points.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#296 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

I can't say I'm really thrilled with the battle system either. If you have too many enemies, it becomes a real mess to manage, since it isn't always easy to see who you are attacking. Or, for that matter, what is considered the side or back of an enemy for some of them.
Posted Image

#297 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

I would only do side stuff that you're interested in or to level up a little if you're behind the enemies in the current story area. The one thing it does help is raising the affinity of certain areas so you can unlock quests that allow you to unlock extra skill trees, but in my opinion, they weren't worth it.

If you just want to finish the game, run through each area morning/afternoon/night and take every quest and just play normally. That way you will complete some without trying. Then while you progress the story just try to kill every unique monster you see to get the affinity coins, because linking skill trees helps a lot.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

#298 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, it gets to be a spastic mess that I actually find hilarious, random polygon body parts sticking out all over the place lol

Ugh...I just got the Heropon, and by now I'm pretty well sick of the game.

How far am I, and is it worth forcing myself to keep playing for the story? I really don't want to lose my whole vacation playing this, but if I quit, I'm done with it for good.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#299 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

You're not even halfway yet. If you're forcing yourself to play I'd say drop it. No point to torture yourself for the next 50+ hours. It really is a huge game and definitely overwhelming. But there is an addicting quality to it.

I do find the story & premise intriguing and it's enough to keep me going. It does get tiring at times but I plan to stick with it.

#300 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

You're not even halfway yet. If you're forcing yourself to play I'd say drop it. No point to torture yourself for the next 50+ hours. It really is a huge game and definitely overwhelming. But there is an addicting quality to it.

I do find the story & premise intriguing and it's enough to keep me going. It does get tiring at times but I plan to stick with it.

I thought that due to the game's vast nature, the story was a bit too sparse... I normally don't bother with RPGs if the story's missing but this game was too good, even with a contentiously present story on hand.

Currently playing:

fyreboltx.png