Recommend Me a PSone Classic

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 lutz

lutz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

Seriously, all the main characters in the Grandia series weren't great. As much as I want to be 14 year old Justin, or generic apathetic hero Ryudo, or head in the sky Yuki, they are the only reason why I would prefer a Lunar game. Believe me, I love the series, but sometimes I feel like the series was only made because GameArts had a little tiff with Studio Alex.

Lunar may seem a little basic and dated now, but for its time, it was something special. I think it sold almost 1:1 ratio with the actual SegaCD in Japan. Grandia on the other hand, was just another RPG with a really awesome battle system. If it came out back when Wild Arms was floating around, I think it would have been something special too.

Edited by lutz, 25 August 2011 - 05:06 PM.
additional reasoning

#32 CGH

CGH

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Can't believe nobody recommended the resident evils yet.

Currently playing
:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

:3ds: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

:3ds: Super Mario 3D Land

#33 d3adliner

d3adliner

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Parasite Eve hands down. And one that I never see mentioned... Koudelka.

#34 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Parasite Eve hands down. And one that I never see mentioned... Koudelka.

People aren't mentioning it because it's not a PSOne Classic.
Posted Image

#35 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

Destruction Derby!

#36 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:46 AM

A bit off topic but I actually returned Star Ocean 2 back in the day because the voice acting/little emoticons above the characters heads drove me insane. I was so hyped for the game and so angry once I actually played it.

I'll happily vote for Grandia though. It still holds up pretty well and the all-3d environments were very ambitious for the time. It should've been the Saturn's FF7 but alas, we never got a translation until the PSX port.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#37 Aidenstars

Aidenstars

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

Legend of legaia. Hands down.

#38 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:05 PM

I may get Tomba! down the road. Also I would love for them to release Mega Man Legends 2. Never did play that one.

#39 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

Hitting the reset button again!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

Silent Hill

#40 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Grandia is one of the easiest RPGs ever. It makes it kind of a bore to play.

#41 superleaf444

superleaf444

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

Man psone has a ton of great RPGs. Give some more details on what you are looking for.

#42 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

Judging by your list I say you should pick up Crash 3. It's an awesome game that holds up really well, with time trial challenges to frustrate you after you finish it. Crash 2 is good too. It has less variety than 3, but if you're a platforming fan (like me) then you'll appreciate the straight-forward nature of the game.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are great. Resident Evil 2 has the extra scenario to make up for its short length. RE 3 has some fun challenges and weapon customization.

Chrono Cross has aged fairly well, though the battle system is a bit clunky. It's moderately open-ended compared to the Final Fantasy series.

I've never played through Parasite Eve but I believe it has a really long post-game tower which adds to its re-playability.

PaulManda.png

#43 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

I haven't checked recently to see which PS1 games they're selling on PSN. But here are some of my regular picks for PS1 games...

Suikoden

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy Tactics

Silent Hill

Xenogears

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story

I'm pretty certain that Suikoden 2 is not on PSN yet. It is supposedly the gold standard as far as PS1 RPGs are concerned. If they ever get around to releasing it on PSN, it's probably the game you want.

#44 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

I haven't checked recently to see which PS1 games they're selling on PSN. But here are some of my regular picks for PS1 games...

Suikoden

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy Tactics

Silent Hill

Xenogears

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story

I'm pretty certain that Suikoden 2 is not on PSN yet. It is supposedly the gold standard as far as PS1 RPGs are concerned. If they ever get around to releasing it on PSN, it's probably the game you want.

Great list. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Xecutioner
CML

#45 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm going to throw in a negative vote for Xenogears and Final Fantasy Tactics. These games do not hold up in my opinion.

Xenogears is one of the slowest RPGs around. It has terrible platforming and a really confusing plot. It has some cool characters and the mechs are awesome, but it's just not worth it IMO.

Final Fantasy Tactics is long-winded in every way possible. The battles are SLOW. The dialogue is ornate (which I like), but consequently the story was hard to follow.

Music in both of these games is amazing though.

PaulManda.png

#46 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

Final Fantasy Tactics is long-winded in every way possible. The battles are SLOW. The dialogue is ornate (which I like), but consequently the story was hard to follow.

Well, if you were going to play Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSP, you shouldn't get the PSone classics version. The re-made War of the Lions for the PSP should be available on PSN, and is a superior version/translation of the game. It is also available on UMD and can be had quite cheaply at most used games stores. (in the $10 or less range) The battles are going to be slow one way or the other, but that's the nature of strategy RPGs. The combat in those games always tends to have a slower, more deliberate pace. It comes down to personal preference whether you like that style of play or not.

The big problem for me with all the RPGs for the PSone is that they eat up so much time. Any one of these games can take upwards of 30 hours to critical path, and around 50 hours if you explore the side missions and optional content. (which I am always tempted to do) I managed to pick up a copy of Suikoden 2 a few months back for $120. But I haven't played it yet because time is hard to come by these days.

Some people think gaming is too expensive these days. For me, the problem is that it's too cheap.

#47 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

I think Disgaea is much better than FF Tactics. It's been ported to the PSP too.

PaulManda.png

#48 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

There are actually several high-profile PS1 games that got re-makes or re-released on the PSP. PaRappa the Rapper got a solid PSP port. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was included as an un-lockable extra in Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. (definitely get Dracula X Chronicles) Even Tactics Ogre got a re-translated release on the PSP.

Has Einhander been released on PSN yet? That was a pretty solid PS1 shmup. (a genre the platform wasn't particularly known for)

#49 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Vanguard Bandits sounds interesting.

Batsugunner.png

#50 pacifickarma

pacifickarma

Master of Orion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

I found Front Mission 3 to be more enjoyable than FFT.

#51 Sludgepond

Sludgepond

The Trigger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

I'll add a vote for Chrono Cross.

#52 Stanley the Bugman

Stanley the Bugman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

It hasn't aged well, but Twisted Metal 2 is still my favorite entry in the series.   Resident Evil has nothing on the experience of driving through a tunnel and seeing Twister coming from the other direction.

#53 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

TM2 was always my favorite of the series as well (and I've played most of them), two player co-op and the combo system were huge draws at the time, plus the cars and specials were just plan cool compared to the other entries.  Black is a close second for me, it lost that 90's charm along the way, though.

#54 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

GRANDIA

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#55 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Double Dragon, the Neo Geo game is on the PSN as a PSone classic. It's loved by the Angry Video Game Nerd, and the BJ theme is awesome.

Batsugunner.png

#56 TheXMiz

TheXMiz

Champion Of The Sun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:54 AM

Legend of Legaia....unreal battle system
You are dancing with the entire McPoyle family...these people are freakshows man! Freaks! But you're keeping your cool....you're keeping your cool you know why...? Cause you are the GREENMAN

#57 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

Double Dragon, the Neo Geo game is on the PSN as a PSone classic. It's loved by the Angry Video Game Nerd, and the BJ theme is awesome.

Ya know what, I think I'm going to get this tonight. I feel like some old-school 2D fighting.

#58 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Ya know what, I think I'm going to get this tonight. I feel like some old-school 2D fighting.

I learned a little more about Double Dragon game. The PS1 version is missing the arranged soundtrack, ie the sweet epic saxophone sounds of the Dead or Alive track. Sorry.

Batsugunner.png

#59 Gamejammers

Gamejammers

Always becoming the strongest version of myself

• CAG in Training

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

If you want an RPG with lots that's very hard,try Kings Field
Cool Place to find some deals on old and recent games! (Just copy and paste the URL)

WWW.Bonanza.com/Booths/GAMEJAMMERS.com

#60 Navex

Navex

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Legend of Legaia....unreal battle system

Oh shit truly an amazing RPG that went under the radar and never got the attention it should have. I remember I got it for Easter by my parents who blind bought it without asking me if I'd like it or anything and I was pretty doubtful it would be any good since I was FF nut. Boy was I wrong, amazing game. Legaia 2 for PS2 is really good too; surprisingly lots of extra things to do in it too.