CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

• Please log in to reply
1698 replies to this topic

#1111 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

I always feel like people like that should be put down, or be forced to work out in a black box so the rest of us normal people don't have to watch them.

yeah, but then how would I stare at her ass? :D

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1112 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

I always feel like people like that should be put down, or be forced to work out in a black box so the rest of us normal people don't have to watch them.

Pretty much what Javery said. It's nice to see a woman in the gym who is for real. Most of the ones at the gym I was going to over the winter were the "I'm going to do 20 minutes on the stair master at the lowest speed while I drink my sports drink and read People magazine" types. I always used to wonder why they even paid for a gym membership, just walk down the street a block and come back if that's all the effort you're going to put into working out.

I had a minor setback yesterday. Ran a couple miles to a small park, decided to do pull-ups there since they had some staggered pull-up bars. Did a few sets of dead hang pull-ups, then some sets of chin-ups, then some mountain climbers and didn't have any problems. Got ready to start heading home and I thought, screw it, I'm going to try a couple one-arm chin-ups before I leave. So I managed 2 full reps on my right arm and I got halfway through the second rep on my left arm when my hand started burning.

Looked at my hand, and one of the callouses had torn almost completely off my hand. Should have known using the bare metal bars at the park wasn't a good idea. It was bleeding a little but not that bad. Worst part was having to run the couple miles back home before I could clean out the wound. So now my grip is all screwed up because the spot on my hand is so tender.

I've read about people tearing them off during weight lifting before, but it's the first time I've ever had it happen. Anyone ever deal with this before? How long does it take to heal over completely? It looks like it took a couple layers off, so I'm thinking it's going to be more than a few days #-o.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#1113 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

Down to 179. Finally hit the 170s on this cut. Although I won't be surprised if im 181 tomorrow.

seanr1221.png

#1114 mightyduck

mightyduck

You're killin' me Smalls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Heading up to the grocery store tomorrow and thinking of switching things up. Sort of getting tired of eating salad non stop, and obviously the results have been minimal to zero. Was contemplating picking up some grilled chicken that I could cook in the oven or grill, etc.

Any other stuff that would be worth picking up that is still semi tasty but health and good for you? I've never been a big fruit person, albeit it I have tried a variety, apples are about the only thing that has stuck.

#1115 diddy310

diddy310

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

Bought a Breville juicer - going to attempt to down two of them a day though the recipe I had ended up tasting like I was mowing the lawn with my mouth. Going to add in extra lemon and mint to see if I can get it to be more bearable.

#1116 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

Pretty much what Javery said. It's nice to see a woman in the gym who is for real. Most of the ones at the gym I was going to over the winter were the "I'm going to do 20 minutes on the stair master at the lowest speed while I drink my sports drink and read People magazine" types. I always used to wonder why they even paid for a gym membership, just walk down the street a block and come back if that's all the effort you're going to put into working out.

I had a minor setback yesterday. Ran a couple miles to a small park, decided to do pull-ups there since they had some staggered pull-up bars. Did a few sets of dead hang pull-ups, then some sets of chin-ups, then some mountain climbers and didn't have any problems. Got ready to start heading home and I thought, screw it, I'm going to try a couple one-arm chin-ups before I leave. So I managed 2 full reps on my right arm and I got halfway through the second rep on my left arm when my hand started burning.

Looked at my hand, and one of the callouses had torn almost completely off my hand. Should have known using the bare metal bars at the park wasn't a good idea. It was bleeding a little but not that bad. Worst part was having to run the couple miles back home before I could clean out the wound. So now my grip is all screwed up because the spot on my hand is so tender.

I've read about people tearing them off during weight lifting before, but it's the first time I've ever had it happen. Anyone ever deal with this before? How long does it take to heal over completely? It looks like it took a couple layers off, so I'm thinking it's going to be more than a few days #-o.

This is why you should wear gloves.;)

#1117 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Thsi might be a good place to ask this. A friend of mine (who tends to get into fads easily) swears by those Al Bundy toe shoes that have no arch support. I told him they weren't good for his feet because of that lack of arch support, but he swears his feet feel better wearing them then a normal pair of shoes. I tend to believe medical experts when it comes to something liek this, and everything I've read said that wearing shoes without arch support can lead to problems later on. Has anyone tried those things or read anything that contradicts medical experts (with actual evidence that is).
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1118 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

i thought the general consensus was that barefoot running is very healthy, just that it needs to be taken at a very careful pace, and there's a steep learning curve.

that's all the toe shoe is, running barefoot with some comfort/protection. worth all the trouble and money? i dunno.

#1119 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Well most doctors I've seen interviewed and comments I've read written by them say otherwise. Same reason why sandals aren't good for your feet becasue they're usually flat.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1120 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

There just isn't enough studying to determine what is better for you feet/knees/legs. That is why doctors usually just take a neutral stance on the subject.

The running that you do with the finger toe shoes is all "toe" striking. The heels never touch the ground when you run with them.

Other running shoes that have heel support promote "heel" striking. The heels usually hit the ground first and roll to the toes before coming off the ground. Ideally people say this is good for long distance because it is less stress on the ankles.

For me, I just toe strike all the time in my regular running shoes. Then again I hate running with a passion. In other news I am down to a 167lbs, which is two weeks early for my jiu jitsu tournament. My weight class max is 167lbs. The plan is to get to 163/164lbs five days before the weigh ins and properly eat my way back up to 166lbs (need to cover the weight of my gi aswell).

Hope everyone's summer goals are being met!

#1121 Chase

Chase

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

I thought I did a fair amount of weathering my hands just because I don't wear gloves when I lift (including when I lift heavy). Made holes in my hands while chopping wood. If it's bad, use liquid bandage (instead of Super Glue). Totally made the healing process less of a pain in the ass.

Down to 179. Finally hit the 170s on this cut. Although I won't be surprised if im 181 tomorrow.

If you drink three liters of water a day, as you should (;)), two pounds could easily be water weight. (And congrats on returning to form.)

Also: Take it easy when using FiveFinger shoes for running. Some people have had their feet fracture because they were overzealous.

As a person with flat, wide feet, I wear New Balance running shoes and toss in arch support. When I don't have to wear shoes, I love my Crocs athletic recovery sandals. If I could, I'd wear those to work. :lol:

#1122 Viol8tor

Viol8tor

Go Lakers!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

2 questions:

Any one tried cooking with coconut oil? Also coconut water, anyone here praise it as the holy juice that it supposedly is?

And this ones weird: How much biking in millage is considered a great amount? I know its eventually on how many calories you burn that defines a good bike ride/work out. But i ride about 10 miles a day when i bike at the beach. I have no clue if that's a lot or a little, lol.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#1123 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Any one tried cooking with coconut oil?

Very high in saturated fat, though you could do worse (it's better than hydrogenated oils).

I'm a huge fan of olive oil. Tastes great and is super healthy.

#1124 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Went primal a little over a month ago, lost nearly 30 pounds (down to 245 at 6'4") and I'm repping 300 pounds on bench again. From the get go, sex drive, energy, everything went through the roof when I ditched grains and added more saturated fat/cholesterol to my diet.

Why I didn't do this ten years ago is beyond me. Would have been beast mode in HS.

Edited by Feeding the Abscess, 09 August 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

ThroneofSeth.png

#1125 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I thought I did a fair amount of weathering my hands just because I don't wear gloves when I lift (including when I lift heavy). Made holes in my hands while chopping wood. If it's bad, use liquid bandage (instead of Super Glue). Totally made the healing process less of a pain in the ass.

The liquid bandage helped and it's mostly healed over. It's just feels a bit strange now because instead of a callous, it's concave inward. I guess it'll just be like that until another callous forms.

Also, how do you cook your swiss chard? I'm trying to find a way to prepare it that tastes good.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#1126 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

2 questions:

Any one tried cooking with coconut oil? Also coconut water, anyone here praise it as the holy juice that it supposedly is?

And this ones weird: How much biking in millage is considered a great amount? I know its eventually on how many calories you burn that defines a good bike ride/work out. But i ride about 10 miles a day when i bike at the beach. I have no clue if that's a lot or a little, lol.

I use it when I make popcorn, its a great flavoring for when I'm popping the seeds.

Also biking wise, that is a decent distance. For most it is pretty far, though the more you do it the more you'll realize how much farther you can go / faster you can do the 10 miles. It is a good amount though, don't get me wrong.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#1127 Hiroshou

Hiroshou

You bred Raptors!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Started Insanity this Monday and I'm trying to decide a good way to track my body's progress. Measurement is my go to while weight is my secondary, but where in particular should I be measuring and how often?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1128 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Started Insanity this Monday and I'm trying to decide a good way to track my body's progress. Measurement is my go to while weight is my secondary, but where in particular should I be measuring and how often?

Honestly, if you are going to do Insanity you won't have to track anything. You will lose some weight and turn into a badass just by following the program. I've been doing it since February and I haven't lost much weight overall but I threw out all of my clothes because I've shifted the weight around so much. Other than my stupid effing 37 year old stomach (which isn't too horrible) I'm pretty toned everywhere else.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1129 Hiroshou

Hiroshou

You bred Raptors!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Honestly, if you are going to do Insanity you won't have to track anything. You will lose some weight and turn into a badass just by following the program. I've been doing it since February and I haven't lost much weight overall but I threw out all of my clothes because I've shifted the weight around so much. Other than my stupid effing 37 year old stomach (which isn't too horrible) I'm pretty toned everywhere else.

Have you been following the diet as well? I need to go shopping today and was considering buying a few things to try it out for a week or two.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1130 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't follow the diet. Don't follow any diet. Research foods that are good for you/bad for you. Research calories, fats, carbs, protein amounts your body needs etc etc and then start making your own choices and your own diet based on that. Watch your calories, make the diet work for you but don't follow any cookie cutter diet BS because you will do it, you will get tired of it, and you will gain weight again.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

#1131 Hiroshou

Hiroshou

You bred Raptors!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't follow the diet. Don't follow any diet. Research foods that are good for you/bad for you. Research calories, fats, carbs, protein amounts your body needs etc etc and then start making your own choices and your own diet based on that. Watch your calories, make the diet work for you but don't follow any cookie cutter diet BS because you will do it, you will get tired of it, and you will gain weight again.

Any idea where to start? Recommended calorie counters etc.?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1132 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm still hovering around 160 pounds.
Have started adding a bit more cardio into my mix. Have been doing a nice routine on the bleachers (sprints, hops, etc.). I also ran a 20:55 5K last night; that felt pretty decent.

My last goal at this weight is to get a half-marathon ran...but I've had recurring knee issues forever now. Once I get 4-6 miles in, my knee starts to lock up. (Definitely not shoes or anything, and, doctors visits in the past were useless.)

Will then start a BIG bulk cycle again. Would love to be a solid 175-180.

The first few weeks of calorie counting is a learning process. Just start with a calorie deficit a bit smaller than what you get these days, stick with that for a couple weeks, and you should lose a pound or two. If it's more than that, you may be cutting too many calories.

Oh, and about the biggest thing I can recommend if you're going to count calories: BUY A FOOD SCALE! My food scale is the most used thing in my kitchen.
I have this one, and, have had no issues. There's plenty of options on Amazon. (Just read some reviews and go from there.)

#1133 Hiroshou

Hiroshou

You bred Raptors!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'll do some research before I head out to the store tonight and I'll update my exact weight and height when i get home. Here's hoping I can pull through this, its been pretty hard so far.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1134 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

1/2/3

1= carbs
2= protein
3= VEGGIES

What ever your intake of carbs is for the day you need 3 time that amount in veggies (that means your protein gets 2 times your carb amount). I suggest this because most people do not ever eat their greens. By greens I mean that dark green stuff. Also ask your self "Does it swim, run, fly or grow?" If what you are about to eat is none of those, then don't eat it. Don't worry about calorie count right now, just keep a log of what you eat per day (also mark the time too!). After 3 weeks you should see where your bad eating habits are. Get at it! You got 3 months before the holiday eating session! You'll be surprised how much weight you can drop from just adding more greens.

@Feeding the Abscess: Feels awesome right? At least you are there now instead of much later in life. Keep at it! (so jealous of 300lb press. Best ever was 245lbs @ 180lbs. I WANT THAT 315!)

@perdition(troy: My brother is a cycling fiend now and his typical route is 30-40 miles. He says he tries to keep it under 3 hours, but that is all dependent on his route traffic. Ideally your average pace is 1 hour for 10 miles, but an active person should be capable of doing that in 40 minutes. Granted my brother has a $1500 clip in cycling bike with matching outfit, so what he says is highly construed to his standards.

#1135 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

I get ideas from this chart when grocery shopping. Although, I might start cutting out grains soon as well.

Except beer.

#1136 Hiroshou

Hiroshou

You bred Raptors!?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

I get ideas from this chart when grocery shopping. Although, I might start cutting out grains soon as well.

Except beer.

Thanks Panzer this was incredibly helpful. Lots of good choices it seems I found referenced elsewhere.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1137 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

@perdition(troy: My brother is a cycling fiend now and his typical route is 30-40 miles. He says he tries to keep it under 3 hours, but that is all dependent on his route traffic. Ideally your average pace is 1 hour for 10 miles, but an active person should be capable of doing that in 40 minutes. Granted my brother has a $1500 clip in cycling bike with matching outfit, so what he says is highly construed to his standards.

My work commute is 9.8 miles one way, I hit that between 31~33 minutes on average. 30 miles is a pretty nice ride, my Sunday afternoon route is 35 miles, usually takes me just under 2 hours and 15 minutes. It just all depends on what you want to get out of the ride :)

#1138 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

I've definitely picked up my training again and have seen satisfying results in terms of fat loss. I haven't weighed myself yet but I will have to do that one morning on an empty stomach. I feel good again and my confidence has risen back up. It's not just my body but I am happy that I've dropped some pounds off my face so I don't have as much of a baby look anymore. Disappointing to say I look smaller than I did 2 years ago but I'm sure I will get to where I was and surpass that even. That being said I need to work a lot more on my delts, forearms, obliques, traps, and of course chest.

Spoiler

Progress from April 26 to yesterday August 8. I've been leaner than this before but I'm much closer to where I want to be now at least (and mind you I'm a little bloated from all the foods I've eaten all day).
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#1139 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:27 AM

Did my first lap swim since like, 15 years ago, and 15-20 minutes destroyed me. Was taking breaks every lap, but I think it was mainly the breathing that was throwing me off. Or that I swam after lifting. Either way I need to get used to this again, because it feels great.

#1140 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:41 AM

Definitely swim slow when you first get back into it so you can get the breathing down. Make sure you exhale completely underwater before you come up for the next breath, you don't want to be puffing out the last of your air before you can take more in when you come up.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games