OT - Amazon closed my account for being a CAG

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#181 joshnorm

joshnorm

Hey, Wha Happen..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

What if you harass a rep? And their supervisor? Or call 20 times to get $15 taken off of Madden? Aren't you wasting their time? Are they "allowing" you to waste their time so it's not their fault? No.

Bad customers are bad customers. I doubt any local news outlet would give a shit about you being a bad customer.

Now, now. If they pick up on Xbox banning an autistic kid for "being too good at Games" they would run with this.

Now that was later proven that he got the recon armor from someone who hacked it for him, etc. but it did get some press.

Spoiler

#182 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I'm sure you're just joking but there's a human interest aspect to the video game kid. Being a pain in the ass is not a human interest story.

btw, wasn't it ultimately resolved that kid actually did cheat? Or at least someone used his account to cheat.

#183 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Folks shouldn't be surprised about any of this. It's a call center, and you're a customer. Everything is reviewed (your accounts, your calls). They have folks whose entire day revolves around listening to customer calls, and reviewing accounts.

So, if you abuse the system, whether you're legitimately complaining about an item or simply milking it, they will notice. I'm also certain that some of it is automated in some manner. Meaning, that if customer z made 5 calls into customer service within an x amount of time, he/she will automatically go into bucket 'y'. Where bucket 'y' automatically gets all of your calls, and purchases reviewed.

#184 NeoStrider

NeoStrider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

this is crazy talk. the customer should come first.This kind of attitude is crazy where they are nice and bend over backwards for you on complaints, until that final straw breaks their limits and they treat you like a criminal?

Amazon already bent over backwards for the OP, I preorder plenty of stuff and their policy has always been that the order is final once its reaches the "shipping soon" phase, meaning that you can't cancel and no more lower price adjustments, maybe the OP didn't know that or maybe he did, but the fact is he badgered Amazon into breaking their policy to satisfy him on his 2nd complaint and then he just kept coming back for more

#185 joshnorm

joshnorm

Hey, Wha Happen..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

I'm sure you're just joking but there's a human interest aspect to the video game kid. Being a pain in the ass is not a human interest story.

btw, wasn't it ultimately resolved that kid actually did cheat? Or at least someone used his account to cheat.

Yes it was (somehow that wasn't in the orginal post but added in there now).

My point is wait until they have ban a family account that has a multiple family member and one of them being disabled in some way. That person would access the account and find that they cant because they have been perma-banned, and they will report it. Just like the lady in the story didn't have the full story (or give the full story) neither will that person and the news will run it

#186 illennium

illennium

Systems Analyst

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Those of you who think businesses will only treat abusers this way may be right... for now. But look at the bigger picture of consumer spending. Already, the richest 10% account for 50% of all consumer spending (http://www.everydayc...or_50_of_c.html). That is only going to increase if the trajectory of growing wealth disparity continues. That means that it is not at all unlikely that businesses will begin (and some already do) to make the "rational" decision that it doesn't make economic sense to deal with non-affluent customers at all. It is not a stretch to think that in their minds middle-class consumers will become "devil" customers automatically, in light of the fact that they are more price-sensitive. This is already happening in major cities (e.g., NYC).

#187 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

That's quite a leap. Businesses don't care where the money comes from as long as they make a profit.

If 90% of people who buy video games were below the poverty line, they'd cater to people below the poverty line. And if 99% of those 90% made them money, they'd still try to kick out the 1% that were abusers.

Businesses catering to affluent customers who are less price senstive? That's been a strategy since the dawn of business.

I'm not sure why you're turning this into a class issue. Businesses are very easy to figure out. Other than a few whose stated goal wasn't profit maximization and increasing shareholder value, they are out to make money. Money is money. The poor people are the ones who buy your products? Target the poor people. The middle class has your money, target them. The affluent have your money, target them.

There is always someone willing to meet a market demand. There is no class issue.

#188 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

In any case, I want to thank the OP for telling his tale in such detail despite the jackass responses he's gotten from a few CAGs. I don't see him getting anything out of posting his story here except providing a warning to others. If it causes people to cut down on Amazon CS abuse or at least be aware of the potential for such a banning, then it is worthwhile no matter how you feel about his particular "transgressions". I don't want other people who have had similar issues scared off from posting because they are afraid of being attacked by other CAGs.

I agree. I give the OP credit for having the balls to at least share knowing he was going to get flamed a bit while basically giving everybody a heads up to just be careful. It's easy to pile on the guy when he's down but I highly doubt the same critics would ball up to post up a similar experience if they had gone through one. Him posting on here is obviously not going to do anything for his appeals.

The OP's message to all the AMZ abusers out there is that to all the folks contactings CS to PM a deal they saw elsewhere 10x over to quit being a PITA or risk getting banned and just use the "report a lower price" link instead.

Now playing:
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: Titanfall

#189 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

I'll try and remember a bunch of shit I almost got my account closed for last year.

Almost got your account closed? Holy shit I'm shocked you weren't banned.

#190 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

I will say that if you only want to do business with the people in the world who are nice and civil you're missing out on a pretty huge percentage of rude people who have money.

I don't understand how these policies are defensible at all.
Offer customers special adjustments and changes to policy-
then ban those customers without warning or reason.

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

http://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#191 NeoStrider

NeoStrider

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:45 PM

I sell regularly on ebay and I rather not have a sale than to deal with PITAs because you usually end up losing money on them

#192 TheBigmac

TheBigmac

InstallingTitle■■■□□

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

I came across others who got their Amazon accounts closed too from varying reasons that included getting too many discounts, returns, shipping too many items as gifts, and even not buying from them for long periods of time, etc.

Why would they ban someone for buying gifts? Anyone has any insight on this?

I ask because during the holiday season I buy TONS of items as gifts. And when I say tons I mean TONS. Last year I think I probably shipped closed to 50 gifts during the holiday season for friends and family. Is that grounds for banning? I also ship birthday gifts for family members all years long, (And my family is HUGE), and I routinely buy clothes, shoes and videogames and ship them to my wife's office as gifts to surprise her (You have to try being married to a gamer girl. Best thing since sliced bread. But I digress) . I probably do this once a week! Am I in danger of getting banned because of this? What gives? Who am I hurting? Anyone has any idea where this nonsense comes from?

#193 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Anyone has any idea where this nonsense comes from?

The Internet.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#194 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Why would they ban someone for buying gifts? Anyone has any insight on this?

I ask because during the holiday season I buy TONS of items as gifts. And when I say tons I mean TONS. Last year I think I probably shipped closed to 50 gifts during the holiday season for friends and family. Is that grounds for banning? I also ship birthday gifts for family members all years long, (And my family is HUGE), and I routinely buy clothes, shoes and videogames and ship them to my wife's office as gifts to surprise her (You have to try being married to a gamer girl. Best thing since sliced bread. But I digress) . I probably do this once a week! Am I in danger of getting banned because of this? What gives? Who am I hurting? Anyone has any idea where this nonsense comes from?

Because they aren't really gifts. There's more to the story than whoever posted on slickdeals or the internet would have you believe. People sell stuff on ebay, then buy it from amazon, and then "gift" it to the ebay buyer using amazon's prime service. Get it?

I send gifts all the time. But there's a difference between 10 or even 50 gifts around the holidays to a handful of addresses and 500 gifts all year round all to diffferent addresses.

#195 Pliskin

Pliskin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Sucks for the OP if he's telling the truth and listed all of the incidents. My friend got Banned from Amazon for abusing the free prime trials.

#196 TheBigmac

TheBigmac

InstallingTitle■■■□□

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Because they aren't really gifts. There's more to the story than whoever posted on slickdeals or the internet would have you believe. People sell stuff on ebay, then buy it from amazon, and then "gift" it to the ebay buyer using amazon's prime service. Get it?

I send gifts all the time. But there's a difference between 10 or even 50 gifts around the holidays to a handful of addresses and 500 gifts all year round all to diffferent addresses.

Ok, that's makes more sense. I don't ship 500 gifts a year but If I had to guess I'd say maybe I ship a hundred? As for amazon prime, even thou I am a prime member, I rarely ship my gifts via prime since I had and incident once of a gifts being left in a doorstep and getting lost, so since then I ship all my gifts via standard shipping which is handled by USPS and ends up locked up in someone's mailbox. I tend to reserve the free two day UPS shipping for the things I buy for myself. Maybe that doesn't make it that bad? Still I'm curious to know where is the threshold where gift shipping can get you in hot water with amazon 100? 200? 300 gifts a year? What If I already crossed the threshold? This thing is scary. Amazon even ships the cereal for my breakfast to my doorstep. A banhammer would be a major pain for me. Maybe I'll start top reconsider shipping those Nintendo 3ds games for my nice and nephew so often. Maybe I'm spoiling them. Yes, yes, I might be spoiling them (Who am I kidding, I'm freaked out by big brother and I need my cereal!)

#197 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Ok, that's makes more sense. I don't ship 500 gifts a year but If I had to guess I'd say I may ship 100? As for amazon prime, even thou I am a prime member, I rarely ship my gifts via prime since I had and incident once of a gifts being left in a doorstep and getting lost, so since then I ship all my gifts via standard shipping which is handled by USPS and ends up locked up in someone's mailbox. I tend to reserve the free two day UPS shipping for the things I buy for myself. Maybe that doesn't make it that bad? Still I'm curious to know where is the threshold where gift shipping can get you in hot water with amazon 100 ? 200? 300 gifts? a year? What If I already croosed it? This thing is scary. Amazon even ships the cereal for my breakfast to my doorstep. A banhammer would be a major pain for me. Maybe I'll start top reconsider shipping those Nintendo 3ds games for my nice and nephew so often. Maybe I'm spoiling them. Yes, yes, I might be spoiling them (Who am I kidding, I'm freaked out by big brother and I need my cereal!)

How many of your 100 gifts are to different addresses?

If you send 100000 gifts to one or 2 or even 5 addresses, I don't amazon would mind.

When you read about bannings on the internet, everyone spins the story like it was all very arbitrary and they did nothing wrong. I doubt amazon just bans people who do nothing wrong. The people who got banned for gift giving are the ones who really are ebay resellers.

If you're giving gifts in the normal course of being a person, you will be fine.

#198 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Almost got your account closed? Holy shit I'm shocked you weren't banned.

Yeah like I said it was basically a warning email. Looking back I'm surprised too. I learned my lesson. I think I've contacted them twice since the email...and only with legit questions.

It just makes me question the amount of "persistence" the OP used and if there was anything else he wasn't telling. Maybe it helped slightly that I was a Prime member? I wouldn't really think so but maybe just enough to keep them from banning me.

#199 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Yeah like I said it was basically a warning email. Looking back I'm surprised too. I learned my lesson. I think I've contacted them twice since the email...and only with legit questions.

It just makes me question the amount of "persistence" the OP used and if there was anything else he wasn't telling. Maybe it helped slightly that I was a Prime member? I wouldn't really think so but maybe just enough to keep them from banning me.

One thing that is kind of telling is that several people have asked the OP if he had Prime and he hasn't responded. Makes me wonder if he can't answer a simple question like that.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#200 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

There's just no logic in the banning thing.

Ban someone, they're never able to buy from you.
Tell someone no 10, 100, 1000 times to various insane or extreme requests regarding price matches and discounts, etc, maybe you'll piss them off, but there's still a chance they'll buy from you.

Everyone who joins the CAG XBox One Conga Line from now until my 11 referrals are met are entered into a drawing to win a FREE $60 game from me! So get going - the Gamefly referral costs nothing, and others are as low as $1!

Join the CAG XB1 Conga Line and get an XB1 or $400+gift cardhttp://www.cheapassg...real-with-proof/

#201 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

Tell someone no 10, 100, 1000 times to various insane or extreme requests regarding price matches and discounts, etc, maybe you'll piss them off, but there's still a chance they'll buy from you.

You are assuming each phone call and email is free. Each time you send an email or a phone call is causing amazon money.

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#202 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

I think you're failing to understand that they don't make money on certain (banned) customers. Therefore you don't want them to ever buy from you again.

#203 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Each time you send an email or a phone call is causing amazon money.

Costing, not causing.

This thread is freaking me out. I had to return/exchange something(faulty hard drive) a couple weeks ago and I canceled an order today (found it cheaper elsewhere), and yesterday didn't receive a package UPS said was delivered to my doorstep. I haven't filed anything yet. I wonder if I should give them until the end of Monday to see if it shows up.

I guess the difference is that I haven't called and wasted man hours.

#204 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

this is crazy talk. the customer should come first.This kind of attitude is crazy where they are nice and bend over backwards for you on complaints, until that final straw breaks their limits and they treat you like a criminal?

Why not just be polite about refusing those account credits and "special treatment" in the first place so they don't have to consider you a "devil customer"?

Or is it that you think its a good thing for people to read about these banning stories and as a result they should think "well, gosh i better not try to get any discounts at amazon or they might ban me! I'll pay full price, please!"

Nobody who shops anywhere should ever have to be worried about being blacklisted, and accidentally getting their whole family's accounts blacklisted as well. This is just egregious behavior on the part of amazon and if a major news outlet was to pick up on it, they'd be backpedaling hardcore.

Bottom line for me is that you can't do anything while shopping at amazon that they don't allow. If you talk to a CS rep and that rep agrees to match a price, take a return, or give a credit, that's their choice. You should not have to worry about being punished later on for it. It was fully in their power to say no to that request.

This kind of attitude towards the customer just means that you will eventually wear away at any goodwill built with your most loyal customers and send them somewhere else. I know we're all CAGs but as we've seen in the Kmart threads, even the best deals can't make up for horrible customer service.

Not saying I agree one way or the other, but the overall customer satisfaction would drop if they switched to just denying customer service requests. Their strategy is to have the appearance of an overly generous customer service so that the average person has a great experience with them. They will trust Amazon as a retailer that will take care of their problems, and recommend them to friends and family.

The story has been on the (local) news before:
http://www.ketv.com/...717/detail.html

I honestly think that with they need to modify their outright ban policies with advent of account-based digital goods. They are going to lose a lot of trust with their digital services if people realize they can lose access to them completely. Sure, B&M stores can ban you too, but at least it doesn't block you from goods already purchased.

#205 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

if amazon did their job right maybe people wouldnt have to complain

in last 6 months

i went in to order
SNK Vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash and asked them 3 times in chat before placing order and once in email

This is the 2nd print and not the bugged verison.. they all said yes

Get the game and its the bugged verison .. amazon refunds the money and gives me 10 bucks for the problem

thinkSMART Labyrinth sent me the wrong game told me to keep the first game sent me a replacement for free

Tactics orge... all i ask is if they had the cards with the game they send me another copy for free tell me to keep the first game

out of 28 total orders in the last 6 months
WOOOO I STINK

#206 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

I think you're failing to understand that they don't make money on certain (banned) customers. Therefore you don't want them to ever buy from you again.

well obviously we're talking a difference between using the gift system for defrauding them and asking for a price match on a purchase.

Let's be logical here.

I can't believe people are even defending amazon on this shit.

#207 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

well obviously we're talking a difference between using the gift system for defrauding them and asking for a price match on a purchase.

Let's be logical here.

I can't believe people are even defending amazon on this shit.

Smh. Everyone thats been banned by amazon has no idea why and never did anything wrong. There no way they were a huge PITA. Just like everyone in shawshank is innocent.

I will agree that you should have access to your digital content even after a ban.

#208 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

Smh. Everyone thats been banned by amazon has no idea why and never did anything wrong. There no way they were a huge PITA. Just like everyone in shawshank is innocent.

I will agree that you should have access to your digital content even after a ban.

like I said, outside of obviously illegal or fraudulent behavior a customer should never be permanently banned, and that ban should never extend to their relatives or friends, or people that they've logged in at their computer/house.

#209 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:55 AM

I agree. Let's file a class action lawsuit based on the OP's story. FOR JUSTICE!
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#210 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:56 AM

like I said, outside of obviously illegal or fraudulent behavior a customer should never be permanently banned, and that ban should never extend to their relatives or friends, or people that they've logged in at their computer/house.

And your reasoning behind that is because they might buy something in the future?

Since amazon has identified them as unprofitable customers, they don't WANT them to buy anything in the future.