Photo
- - - - -

RightStuf.com Holiday Sales (Black Friday leading up to 12+ Days of Anime)

• Please log in to reply
618 replies to this topic

#241 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

I really enjoyed Witchblade. The cover art is deceptive - it looks like a total action-and-boobs show, but it has a surprising amount of character depth. I recommend it.

Wow, Kirin giving real advice sans bashing. Never thought I'd see the day =P

#242 starkillr

starkillr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Not at all. It has a neat premise, but a completely botched execution. But on the plus side, the intro song is great.

Yikes, steer clear of those.

/agree on all counts. There may be a good one or two in bundle 2, so you may have to weigh in your mind the cost of getting them separately vs within that bundle.

#243 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

Today's deal is up. Any thoughts on Tears To Tiara?
Posted Image

#244 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

I echo this question and add another: How about Special A?

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :ps4: Putty Squad :ps3: BioShock [Survivor, No Vita-Chambers] :vita: Guacamelee!; Rayman Legends [Daily Challenges]
Last Beaten Game [4/18]:  :vita: Flying Hamster HD ( :))

Last Watched Film: The Passion of the Christ ( :applause: :applause: :applause:)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#245 Squall835

Squall835

Gamer without fear!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I was wondering this as well.

#246 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Not at all. It has a neat premise, but a completely botched execution. But on the plus side, the intro song is great.

I completely agree with Kirin, Night Raid 1931 was a disappointment and I didn't even finish the show (and it was free!).

As for Special A, in the words of peter griffin, "shallow and pedantic."

#247 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

I always give real advice. But yes, if the show is garbage, it often it will include bashing. ;)

I echo this question and add another: How about Special A?

I haven't seen it yet, but most of what I've read indicates that Tears to Tiara is a competent fantasy show. I ended up grabbing it from the DeepDiscount sale at a similar price.

And Special A... oof, romantic comedy gone horribly wrong. It excels at nothing. Special A tries so hard to be School Rumble, but comes nowhere close. If you don't already own School Rumble, get that instead.
Posted Image

#248 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

I'd like to know the general opinion of buying an anime series on Blu Ray that you already own on DVD. I realize that every set is a case by case decision, but I meant in a more general sense. I've seen a couple now (FMP sets, Soul Eater, Champloo) on this sale that keep staring at me every time anybody has an anime sale.

Given the choice between buying an anime I don't already own on Blu Ray or DVD, I will almost always buy the Blu Ray (Why didn't the Cowboy Bebop movie have 5.1 audio?!). I just can't imagine that I'd enjoy any anime on Blu Ray enough that I would want to buy it again and replace/store the DVDs.

#249 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

If anyone's looking for an introduction into visual novels, the fourth hentai game bundle would be a good start. I haven't played X-Change 2 yet (I own it, but I need to play the first X-Change first), but Yume Miru Kusuri and Snow Sakura are great. Yume Miru Kusuri is basically a drama with dark themes (with some comedy to lighten things up sometimes). Snow Sakura is a pure comedy, and it's actually really funny.

Tears to Tiara is a pretty good fantasy show. The thing I enjoyed most about it is its amalgamation of several different mythologies and legends. It's similar to Utawarerumono, if you want a point of comparison.

#250 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

I'd like to know the general opinion of buying an anime series on Blu Ray that you already own on DVD. I realize that every set is a case by case decision, but I meant in a more general sense. I've seen a couple now (FMP sets, Soul Eater, Champloo) on this sale that keep staring at me every time anybody has an anime sale.

Given the choice between buying an anime I don't already own on Blu Ray or DVD, I will almost always buy the Blu Ray (Why didn't the Cowboy Bebop movie have 5.1 audio?!). I just can't imagine that I'd enjoy any anime on Blu Ray enough that I would want to buy it again and replace/store the DVDs.

I think Yu Yu Hakusho was the only one I made the exception for, but it's clearly remastered. Another small reason would be storage space, and the scratch resistance of blurays.

I did replace my Soul Eater dvds with blurays, because I made a few bucks selling my dvds, and it's two small volumes instead of four.

#251 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

If anyone's looking for an introduction into visual novels, the fourth hentai game bundle would be a good start. I haven't played X-Change 2 yet (I own it, but I need to play the first X-Change first), but Yume Miru Kusuri and Snow Sakura are great.

X-Change is much better than 2. I didn't even bother finishing 2.

#252 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Tears to Tiara is a pretty good fantasy show. The thing I enjoyed most about it is its amalgamation of several different mythologies and legends. It's similar to Utawarerumono, if you want a point of comparison.

I went on Amazon and read the reviews there. I think I'm sold on use of Welsh and Gaelic mythology. I have friends who would be interested in that aspect of things (as long as they don't screw it up. The Japanese have this habit of borrowing mythology and doing strange things with it. I have friends who after all these years can't get over Odin: Photon Sailer Starlight.)
Posted Image

#253 fwbweux

fwbweux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Today's deals are certainly better than the previous few, I'm not really sure on what to get. I kind of want the Soul Eater set, but seeing what's happened with other two-volume Funi blu releases like Casshern, it might be best to wait for the inevitable repackage. I'll probably be able to get them at $30 within the next year.

I didn't even know that Taisho Baseball Girls got a release here. It's a cute series, I just don't know that I feel the desire to ever watch it again.

My Bride is a Mermaid seems like a good deal at $30. I almost paid more than that for used copies a while back but fortunately resisted. I'm leaning toward picking this one up.

I also didn't realize there were two different versions of Blue Drop. Why was it rereleased with a dub? That's unusual for any company, much less Sentai. I might get the cheap sub-only version just for the hell of it.

---

#254 WTK

WTK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

Day 10:

#255 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

I can't decide on Soul Eater either. This is definitely the cheapest I've seen for the two sets. Ugh, I just dunno!

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0

#256 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

I more surprised he liked witchblade! I watched it on IFC, but never saw the last couple of episodes. It was decent, but it is not top shelf by any means.

#257 G-Nitro

G-Nitro

TheOtakuGamer.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

For those asking about Special A, I found it pretty damn funny. For $6 each, it's more than worth it imo.

G-Nitro.com is my blog about Gaming, K-Pop, Anime and more!
Follow me on Twitter
XBL: GNitro MWS Steam: G-Nitro PSN: G-Nitro (Message me with who you are or I will probably ignore)

#258 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Today's deals are certainly better than the previous few, I'm not really sure on what to get. I kind of want the Soul Eater set, but seeing what's happened with other two-volume Funi blu releases like Casshern, it might be best to wait for the inevitable repackage. I'll probably be able to get them at $30 within the next year.

Not likely to happen - Casshern is half the length of Soul Eater. Each of those Soul Eater Blu-ray sets is already combining two DVD collections.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that Soul Eater is a stylistic, well-animated, exceedingly average show.
Posted Image

#259 Hao

Hao

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

I really enjoyed the first half-or-so of Soul Eater. It's really fun. Stupid, but fun.

But OH MY GOD was the last chunk of it one of the worst things.

#260 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

Not likely to happen - Casshern is half the length of Soul Eater. Each of those Soul Eater Blu-ray sets is already combining two DVD collections.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that Soul Eater is a stylistic, well-animated, exceedingly average show.

Yeah, I'm watching it on Netflix, and while I enjoy it, I don't feel the need to own it.
Posted Image

#261 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

I really enjoyed the first half-or-so of Soul Eater. It's really fun. Stupid, but fun.

But OH MY GOD was the last chunk of it one of the worst things.

Seconded.

#262 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

Seconded.

I think we all agree.

I just ordered it. Razzuel told me before it was pretty good. I was hoping for a deal on Utawarerumono also.

I just ordered Tears to Tiara and Tsubasa OVA Collection.
Posted Image

#263 fwbweux

fwbweux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Were the Soul Eater blu-ray volumes ever release in individual volumes of 1-4 or were the Meister/Weapon Collections the first release? I see the collections listed as "Part 1&2"/"3&4" on various sites but can't find any that are just Part 1/2/3/4. Are they only referred to this way because of how the DVD volumes were split up?

---

#264 RavenousBear

RavenousBear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

Were the Soul Eater blu-ray volumes ever release in individual volumes of 1-4 or were the Meister/Weapon Collections the first release? I see the collections listed as "Part 1&2"/"3&4" on various sites but can't find any that are just Part 1/2/3/4. Are they only referred to this way because of how the DVD volumes were split up?

The Meister/Weapon Collections are the only release of Soul Eater on blu-ray. It's likely that they are called 1&2, 3&4 for the reason you mentioned.

#265 Ironlocke

Ironlocke

Busty McBraless

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

How is the shipping at RightStuf? I've never ordered from there before and I'm interested in getting The Complete Saiyuki Series and The Spirit Gun Blu-Ray Yu Yu Hukusho bundle

#266 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

How is the shipping at RightStuf? I've never ordered from there before and I'm interested in getting The Complete Saiyuki Series and The Spirit Gun Blu-Ray Yu Yu Hukusho bundle

Great. Their packages are packed well, and the economy shipping is pretty fast for "economy" shipping — I usually get an order four days after it ships.

#267 Ironlocke

Ironlocke

Busty McBraless

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Great. Their packages are packed well, and the economy shipping is pretty fast for "economy" shipping — I usually get an order four days after it ships.

Awesome. I was worried that I wouldn't get them if I shipped them to my job before we go on break.

#268 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback on Tears to Tiara and Special A. I'll pass on the latter and try out the former through my library to decide if it'd be worth getting. :D

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :ps4: Putty Squad :ps3: BioShock [Survivor, No Vita-Chambers] :vita: Guacamelee!; Rayman Legends [Daily Challenges]
Last Beaten Game [4/18]:  :vita: Flying Hamster HD ( :))

Last Watched Film: The Passion of the Christ ( :applause: :applause: :applause:)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#269 JoePianist

JoePianist

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

Seconded.

Third....ed.

#270 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback on Tears to Tiara and Special A. I'll pass on the latter and try out the former through my library to decide if it'd be worth getting. :D

I was wanting Tears for a very long time. Quite familiar with its game too. I was wanting to buy it on Amazon for $52, but I had a feeling it would appear one day on RightStuf on sale. Thankfully I got lucky and it did. :D Unfortunately, spending more than I should (I spent around $300 on this sale alone).
Posted Image