Redbox - Photocopied Game

DCpinoy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey everyone. Just got back from renting Saints Row: The Third from my local Redbox. Once i got home and opened up the case, instead of the actual game there was a photocopied printout of the game. so i'm assuming this is the work of whoever returned the game last. pretty pissed off that this happened but it's kind of funny that it happened. as long as i get no hassle from Redbox about it, then I'm good.

TL;DR Rented a game from Redbox. Instead of a game there was a paper copy inside.

Anyone else have this happen to them or heard about this?

2011-12-10_01-42-08_859.jpg

Wow. If that copy passed for an actual game as far as the automated red box machine is concerned Red Box is going to have to beef up its security measures or that particular scam will become really common.

GBAstar - that's exactly what I was thinking. I was reading on another forum about it happening back in July. So apparently Redbox hasn't done anything about it.

Call it in. Then they can blow up the credit card of the previous renter.

I guess if you cancelled your card after the transaction, they couldn't charge it. But they'd still have your information. Likely they wouldn't pursue it past that, but still...

[quote name='AugustAPC']Call it in. Then they can blow up the credit card of the previous renter.

I guess if you cancelled your card after the transaction, they couldn't charge it. But they'd still have your information. Likely they wouldn't pursue it past that, but still...[/QUOTE]

They could also accuse the OP of perpetuating this ruse (never thought I'd get to use that word!).

talked to a redbox rep through the website just now. all seems to be resolved (for now). here's the convo i had with the redbox rep.

Sonja: Hi my name is Sonja, please give me one moment while I review your question.
Sonja: Hi Jonaz
Sonja: I am so sorry, sounds like a fraud disc situation.
Sonja: Just a copy of the disc on paper? :(
Jonaz Dela Cruz: Hello, yes. it was just a photocopied printout of the actual disk.
Sonja: Ok, I haven't come across that before.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: i didn't discover that it was until i arrived home.
Sonja: I am going to mark it as fraud in our system. Throw the paper away of course.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: i could send you a link to the picture of it.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: okay, so what do i do now?
Sonja: I'm marking it so you won't be charged, I am going to refund the initial night as well.
Sonja: Billing is automatic; you will see the charge post and then the refund (usually takes 3-7 days with the bank). You will also be notified via email when the refund posts.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: okay, thank you.
Sonja: You can return the empty case to the kiosk or keep it. The machine does take blank cases.
Sonja: I am very sorry for the bad experience.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: alright. i will do it right now.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: thank you for your apologies.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: is there anyway in which redbox can prevent this in the future?
Jonaz Dela Cruz: because of this, it gives me doubts on renting from redbox.
Sonja: I believe so, I am escalating the issue. Maybe something with the paper, I am not techy so I don't know the specifics
Jonaz Dela Cruz: alright. thank you so much for your time.
Sonja: Thanks for chatting with redbox, have good weekend.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: goodbye.
Sonja has disconnected.

Well they certainly seemed to handle the situation well enough.

Still, this is some fucked up stuff. Hope they can change their security around so scams like this won't work. Of course, they should be able to look up the last renter pretty easily, but if it's on one of those visa-giftcards, it won't make any difference.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Well they certainly seemed to handle the situation well enough.

Still, this is some fucked up stuff. Hope they can change their security around so scams like this won't work. Of course, they should be able to look up the last renter pretty easily, but if it's on one of those visa-giftcards, it won't make any difference.[/QUOTE]

Yeah exactly. I was pretty happy that the customer service was great. But this does make me hesistant to rent from Redbox again. I would hate for it to happen to me again and to be charged for the game or movie.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Hey everyone. Just got back from renting Saints Row: The Third from my local Redbox. Once i got home and opened up the case, instead of the actual game there was a photocopied printout of the game. so i'm assuming this is the work of whoever returned the game last. pretty pissed off that this happened but it's kind of funny that it happened. as long as i get no hassle from Redbox about it, then I'm good.

TL;DR Rented a game from Redbox. Instead of a game there was a paper copy inside.

[/QUOTE]
Wow. I don't know why I'm surprised. If only people spent half the effort using their creativity for good uses instead of scamming and thieving...

Redbox only scans the center sticker on the games when your doing a return. You could even go so far as heat up the sticker peel it off and stick it on a .99 cent game and return that. Thats assuming of course they figured out a way to detect that it was paper. Also as for the prepaid visa's is anyone still renting at redbox and using those that can confirm that they still work? Theres an article on their website that states they are not accept as payment.

Not accusing OP of anything, but how don't you notice that until you get home? Its a shitty copy job, shitty cut job, and wouldn't the weight of the Redbox case without a real disc in it tip you off? I don't open my Redbox rentals in the store, but I always take a look at the disc to make sure I got the right item and I'd like to think I could have picked that out as something being awry as soon as it was in my hands.

[quote name='kodave']Not accusing OP of anything, but how don't you notice that until you get home? Its a shitty copy job, shitty cut job, and wouldn't the weight of the Redbox case without a real disc in it tip you off? I don't open my Redbox rentals in the store, but I always take a look at the disc to make sure I got the right item and I'd like to think I could have picked that out as something being awry as soon as it was in my hands.[/QUOTE]

Well it was around midnight and it was at an outside 7-Eleven Redbox. Also it was around 40 degrees so I was in a rush. The weight didn't throw me off, it would have if I had rented another game or movie and felt the difference. Then it was pretty dark, so I looked at the case real quick to see if it was there then threw it in my bag.

edit: sorry if that sounded harsh. didn't mean for it to sound that way. just explaining the situation.

They should probably disallow using any type of prepaid cards if they haven't already to close this loophole. This is assuming that those barcodes in the center can also track which specific game and renter was returning it and not just that a game was returned. They must do that.

However, then someone else would just rent the game and make the paper copy and blame it on whoever rented it before them as someone said. Or maybe they make enough on regular rentals that a few scams like this doesn't hurt enough to change, yet, but there are a lot of scumbags out there. A woman outside of where I work beat up the machine, with her kids watching, because it declined her card for one rental. Wonder why you're broke psycho?

This is the first time you guys have heard of this?

You should scan your craigslist ads - as soon as CoD MW3 came out, craigslist was filled with disc only copies of the game, usually being gutted from redbox. Same happened with other big hit games, but Call of Duty was probably the biggest perpetrator.

You should print out a copy of the conversation you had with Customer service, and hold on to the evidence till you get your CC statement.. This way, if they do charge you for it, you still have the evidence and you can get a refund or even sue if you wanted too..

Also, I thought redbox was a dumb idea to begin with as it is so easy to rip off the kiosk.. Another thing I came across is that people are using stolen credit cards and getting as many movies/games as the kiosk allows you to so that not only are you stealing them, but you are also putting the blame on someone else.

If you google Redbox complaints, there's a ton out there..

[quote name='62t']if this is in the sf bay area whats the location[/QUOTE]

It was actually in Davis, CA. About 20 mins from Sacramento. Im up here for school but I go to UC Davis.

OP, what redbox was that at? I'm in Davis and will have to avoid it. Hopefully it doesn't become a huge problem, but who am I kidding? Of course it will.

[quote name='Vulgarism']OP, what redbox was that at? I'm in Davis and will have to avoid it. Hopefully it doesn't become a huge problem, but who am I kidding? Of course it will.[/QUOTE]

Oh nice. It was at the 7-Eleven. The address is 525 L Street. You go to UC Davis too?

As far as I know, Redbox has never accepted prepaid cards. As for this, it's too bad there are so many dishonest people out there. I don't see Redbox renting too many more games if this keeps up. This is why we can't have nice things!

[quote name='spmahn']As far as I know, Redbox has never accepted prepaid cards. As for this, it's too bad there are so many dishonest people out there. I don't see Redbox renting too many more games if this keeps up. This is why we can't have nice things![/QUOTE]

i agree with what you're saying. i was really looking forward to trying out Saints Row.

Bummer. Hope that it works out well for you, OP.

This past weekend I noticed what is probably a similar situation to what happened to you. I picked up some games from Gamestop's B2G1 and one of the games (a recent release) had one of the redbox code rings in the center. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled the same scam and then traded it into gamestop.

This has being going on for a while. People do it with the green dot prepaid visa cards. I bought uncharted 3 when it first came out for 30 bucks. They were also selling all the recent title games like rage, mw3, saints row, and uncharted 3 for 30$. I guess there is no way to get caught when using prepaid cards.

[quote name='drakma676']This has being going on for a while. People do it with the green dot prepaid visa cards. I bought uncharted 3 when it first came out for 30 bucks. They were also selling all the recent title games like rage, mw3, saints row, and uncharted 3 for 30$. I guess there is no way to get caught when using prepaid cards.[/QUOTE]

That's true. But prepaid cards have easily identifiable numbers. If you look up how CC numbers are generated, they hold a lot of information. I can't see why Redbox hasn't prohibited their use yet.

I've also been noticing disc only games with the Redbox stickers being sold on Amazon and eBay (and I recently spotted one at Gamestop when I was buying a used Uncharted 3 and selecting the disc I wanted...)

[quote name='Rozz']I've also been noticing disc only games with the Redbox stickers being sold on Amazon and eBay (and I recently spotted one at Gamestop when I was buying a used Uncharted 3 and selecting the disc I wanted...)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have seen a few of these as well. Pretty sad seeing how redbox hasn't fixed that loophole.

[quote name='major morgan']Bummer. Hope that it works out well for you, OP.

This past weekend I noticed what is probably a similar situation to what happened to you. I picked up some games from Gamestop's B2G1 and one of the games (a recent release) had one of the redbox code rings in the center. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled the same scam and then traded it into gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. It all worked out, the customer service rep helped a lot. Got the email saying that my rental was returned, which I guess means that they closed it for me.

Also wow, I didn't know it was that bad. Haven't seen a redbox game being sold yet.

[quote name='major morgan']This past weekend I noticed what is probably a similar situation to what happened to you. I picked up some games from Gamestop's B2G1 and one of the games (a recent release) had one of the redbox code rings in the center. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled the same scam and then traded it into gamestop.[/QUOTE]

You should call out your GS on this. There's no way they should be accepting a game so easily identified as stolen.

[quote name='Ruahrc']You should call out your GS on this. There's no way they should be accepting a game so easily identified as stolen.[/QUOTE]

Just because it has a Redbox label on it doesn't mean it's stolen. If you rent a game from Redbox, it's yours to keep once it's accrued $60 in rental charges. Now, you'd be flat out retarded to do this, but there are a lot of not so bright people out there.

Doesn't matter if they even manage to figure out a way to make it so paper cutouts with the middle sticker doesn't get in. People will just cut out disc shapes out of cardboard and put the sticker around the middle if thickness is an issue for returns.

Uncommon I would imagine but quite creative I must say.

Wow a paper cut out. I'm glad you didn't get charged for it at least. I've never used on of those rental machines and after hearing this I don't think I ever will.
I don't want to deal with the potential hassle.

If a person went to the trouble to do that..

They most likely used a prepaid Visa card to rent the game in the first place that they got at any pharmacy or anywhere that sells them. If so, basically no way of getting the person, because those don't store any personal info, and it is possible to rent from Redbox with them.

What a douche.
loops8.gif

[quote name='dragoon99']Wow a paper cut out. I'm glad you didn't get charged for it at least. I've never used on of those rental machines and after hearing this I don't think I ever will.
I don't want to deal with the potential hassle.[/QUOTE]

yeah this has me pretty hesitant to rent games again. movies im okay with renting, just because they wouldn't charge as much as a game.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Hey everyone. Just got back from renting Saints Row: The Third from my local Redbox. Once i got home and opened up the case, instead of the actual game there was a photocopied printout of the game. so i'm assuming this is the work of whoever returned the game last. pretty pissed off that this happened but it's kind of funny that it happened. as long as i get no hassle from Redbox about it, then I'm good.

[/QUOTE]
:rofl: the scammer dude was so confident that this would work, he didnt even try to glue this on some random disc; red box really needs to beef up their security if they dont want their profits to start bleeding from their games rental

just found this topic on a websearch. I had the exact same experience when trying to rent max payne 3. Got a case with just a paper cutout. Called customer service and got everything resolved, but this makes me hesitant to rent from redbox in the future. Posting this now so people know this kind of thing is still happening...

[quote name='DCpinoy']talked to a redbox rep through the website just now. all seems to be resolved (for now). here's the convo i had with the redbox rep.

Sonja: Hi my name is Sonja, please give me one moment while I review your question.
Sonja: Hi Jonaz
Sonja: I am so sorry, sounds like a fraud disc situation.
Sonja: Just a copy of the disc on paper? :(
Jonaz Dela Cruz: Hello, yes. it was just a photocopied printout of the actual disk.
Sonja: Ok, I haven't come across that before.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: i didn't discover that it was until i arrived home.
Sonja: I am going to mark it as fraud in our system. Throw the paper away of course.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: i could send you a link to the picture of it.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: okay, so what do i do now?
Sonja: I'm marking it so you won't be charged, I am going to refund the initial night as well.
Sonja: Billing is automatic; you will see the charge post and then the refund (usually takes 3-7 days with the bank). You will also be notified via email when the refund posts.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: okay, thank you.
Sonja: You can return the empty case to the kiosk or keep it. The machine does take blank cases.
Sonja: I am very sorry for the bad experience.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: alright. i will do it right now.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: thank you for your apologies.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: is there anyway in which redbox can prevent this in the future?
Jonaz Dela Cruz: because of this, it gives me doubts on renting from redbox.
Sonja: I believe so, I am escalating the issue. Maybe something with the paper, I am not techy so I don't know the specifics
Jonaz Dela Cruz: alright. thank you so much for your time.
Sonja: Thanks for chatting with redbox, have good weekend.
Jonaz Dela Cruz: goodbye.
Sonja has disconnected.[/QUOTE]

:mad: i rented reorc (when it was new. shitty game.) from redbox and the disc was empty but the weird bar code this was removed and put on the outside of the empty case. got home, returned it to a different redbox, paid again for the game, they gave me same disc, my brother had to use his credit card, so $6 for one night, and all i got was 4 coupons when i talked to someone through the phone. what the hell...you got your money back...i guess they hate my kind.

This actually just happened to me twice in the Sacramento area. I went to rent BLOPS 2 on the ps3, photocopied paper. Called their support and they gave me 4 free rentals. So I go back and figure I will get it for the Xbox. Another piece of paper. Call them back and I get 3 free rentals.

A little annoyed though because the free rentals can't be used for a game :/

[quote name='jarime']This actually just happened to me twice in the Sacramento area. I went to rent BLOPS 2 on the ps3, photocopied paper. Called their support and they gave me 4 free rentals. So I go back and figure I will get it for the Xbox. Another piece of paper. Call them back and I get 3 free rentals.

A little annoyed though because the free rentals can't be used for a game :/[/QUOTE]

Right when BLOPS 2 came out, someone on reddit reported that nearly every redbox in Sacramento had been hit just like this.

I'm surprised that they haven't figured this out yet... this is such a widespread problem, you'd think they'd use some kind of a built in disc reader or something. Then again, it's probably not cost effective.

bread's done
Back