Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
2495 replies to this topic

#991 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

99% of people here come to a yard sale with under $10 in their pocket, so again, you have to work with that, no one will pay $30-40 for a random toy or $30 for a DVD. If I tried to sell at those prices here at a yard sale I would probably get ridiculed all day long and no one would buy anything, thus I would be wasting my time. I would basically get laughed at. I yard sale enough to know that most people here don't even sell half of what they put out even if they mark everything at 25 cents.

I've always wonder.....How much money does everyone take with them on their yardsale trips??

I take between $200-$300

#992 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

Usually 40
www.vg-force.com

#993 ex_eBay_buyer

ex_eBay_buyer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Most of the time I take around $150. I usually only end up spending around $10 of it, but I don't want to have to pass up a deal because I didn't take enough cash with me.
Yard-Saleing is a SPORT.

#994 Montymonster

Montymonster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

I take about 75 bucks. I'm still an "amateur" buyer, so I really don't buy too much.

#995 Cmosfm

Cmosfm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

At least 400.00

#996 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

I start with $100, but my bank has ATMs everywhere, so stopping to get more out isn't a hindrance.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#997 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

$60-100 here. Usually $100.

#998 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I just take whatever money I have. I don't have a steady income right now, so it can be anywhere from $10 to $100.

#999 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

I usually have no less than 50 in small bills. I usually keep 30 singles in my pocket separate from everything else, so I can pull out an exact amount to offer, without showing my hand...so to speak.

It also works if I am making a big purchase and I want them to drop the price more. I can show them my wallet and say "That is everything in my wallet", so they can see for themselves that there is 30 bucks or so in it. (I usually keep 20 or so in the car in case I need it).

#1000 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I usually have $30-50. I have never gone through all my money while yard sailing. Walking around with $400 in cash around here would be asking for trouble, just not a good idea.

#1001 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

A lot of yard sales around here have people using ipads and some credit card doggle so you can they can take plastic. Effectively ruining the "I only have $X" angle.

#1002 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

A lot of yard sales around here have people using ipads and some credit card doggle so you can they can take plastic. Effectively ruining the "I only have $X" angle.

"I don't trust those things" or "not everyone has a credit card" could be rebuttals.

#1003 Br0keAssGamer

Br0keAssGamer

BrokeAssGamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Unless you have a second copy, I would keep Ice Hockey for the NES. Not worth much but I still enjoy playing it! The rest of that stuff..... bleh.

Thanks for the input, and in case you were wondering, $1.74 for all that stuff ;) I almost went and put it back in my bag because it was such a shitty deal but then I remembered I'd have to put them somewhere so I gave in XD

Make $$ on your iOS or Android device using FeaturePoints! 

Use the code G8KHP9 for 50 FREE POINTS when you start!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't care if it's another fucking Mario/Duck Hunt. It's the only thing I've found today so I'm buying it!"
My eBay Page http://myworld.ebay....jabberwocky2600

#1004 Invicta 61

Invicta 61

Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

I take about $80-$120 normally. I've went out with less before, but that has bit me in the ass more than once. I live in a town of about 60,000 with the surrounding area rural for about 20 miles all around, so I end up in the sticks sometimes (actually get some of my better finds there). If I'm out in the country and don't have enough cash I can't go to the nearest ATM because it's about a half hour round trip. I've had to give a "deposit" on items before to ensure I get them, but it really cramps your ability to negotiate.
Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#1005 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Square reader. For small business stands/shops/what-have-you, they are simply amazing. Plus the fact that they work through the headphone jack.

11317.png

#1006 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:40 AM

Square reader. For small business stands/shops/what-have-you, they are simply amazing. Plus the fact that they work through the headphone jack.

I have one for when I sell at the flea market, but haven't had the chance to use it yet. Paypal also has one in the works, I'm not sure how the fees compare, though.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1007 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

I know everyone likes pics so here is from 2 weeks ago.
$1 each
Funny thing he had a NES, it has got to be the yellowest NES I had ever seen. He keep telling me how new it looked. He wanted $50 I passed.
BTW punch out is hard as Fuck. Couldn't get passed Macho Man.

Posted Image

#1008 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:39 AM

Uh since I don't have a good job yet I usually bring 40-60 with me.

#1009 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:43 AM

I usually take about $60-$100 depending on how many advertised sales there are. It's usually all in 5s and 10s too, with some 1s thrown in there. I don't like to ever have less than $50 on me.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1010 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

I know everyone likes pics so here is from 2 weeks ago.
$1 each
Funny thing he had a NES, it has got to be the yellowest NES I had ever seen. He keep telling me how new it looked. He wanted $50 I passed.
BTW punch out is hard as Fuck. Couldn't get passed Macho Man.

Spoiler

Wow Nice and clean games! I wish I could find a lot like that. :applause:

#1011 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've always wonder.....How much money does everyone take with them on their yardsale trips??

I take between $200-$300

I try to have about $300 on hand. I'll have about $100 in mixed bills on me and a $200 vault in the car. I spend $200 on many weekends.

My inlaws gave me a $100 bill for my birthday . . . and I've also had that on hand for awhile. I'd love to go nuclear with it some day on someone with a ton of stuff that would actually come out to $150 or so. Would be an excellent CIF if the opportunity came up.

#1012 kube00

kube00

Keeping in Cheap since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

$20-$30 and some change unless I going to a sale that has a lot of pricey things I want

#1013 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Okay now what about this epidemic I see happening A LOT recently: resellers contacting someone having a yard sale and buying up everything before the sale even starts! I never had this happen last summer but now it happens almost every week! Some guy advertised he-man toys, then like an hour later he changes it to say transformers. the next day (first day of the sale) he tells me "yeah someone emailed me and offered me $200 for my he-man stuff". I guess in reality I still won that one because the idiot missed a box of mint G1 transformers (including a working shockwave) and he only wanted 5 dollars for like 20-30 figures (which are worth a million times more than any he-man figure)!! I even found a box that had a few more he-man figures and vehicles he missed! the next week someone had an ad posted for intellivision with 40+ games and then probably 2 hours later it was marked "sold" next to it!

I am also starting to see a lot of ads here saying things like "no pre-sales!" and "I will not sell anything before the yard sale starts!"

it used to be that I'd get to a sale 10 mins early and literally have to race 2 or 3 flea market resellers to find the games/toys as soon as they were brought out.....now I don't even get a fair chance!

Oh and I usually bring $30-$40 with me because I don't really buy anything unless its an insane deal, thats really the whole point of yardsales to begin with! I don't think I've ever in my life seen something for more than a few bucks at a yard sale that was actually worth paying that much for

#1014 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

The problem I see here is that the neighbors of the ones having the sale either buy up everything good from the house with the sale or they get it for free. This doesn't give anyone a chance but the neighbors, and sometimes the stuff is gone before the sale time even starts.

#1015 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Wow Nice and clean games! I wish I could find a lot like that. :applause:

Thanks , I also got this from him for $1 each. He also had a bunch of bamboo poles dirt cheap but I know nothing of fishing.

Posted Image

#1016 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

I don't care if someone buys stuff presale because I no longer look for games(or anything else) specifically. I just aim for stuff that has value. Could be anything. A few years ago I would be pissed when I didn't find any games on an outing. But now I could care less because there is always something to buy. If only I knew about designer purses I'd be up a few K.

#1017 dasme313

dasme313

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:56 AM

Those N64 games are beautiful! Brings me right back to Christmas '96.

#1018 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

i have a strange urge to play Star Wars: Phantom Menace for ps1, if anyone finds one, sell it to me. :)
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#1019 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:10 AM

I think it's a good idea to email someone ahead of time. In fact it has worked out well for me lately. Especially if they've listed something like huge lots of records, movies, old toys and so on. Unless they specifically what it is, you could be wasting a trip.

Also, they aren't required to reply. If they don't want to say, I am not sure I want to waste my time.

Saying that, contacted a seller who listed vinyl records. I got there they had one small stack. Grabbed 2 Beatles records ($1 each) and started to look around. 3-4 trips upstairs and they brought a bunch of good stuff. Ended up with 15 records with lots of solid stuff including Black Sabbath, The Band, Tubes, and more.

Also grabbed 2 books for my wife at $1 each: Now is the Winter of Our Discontent (Steinbeck) and Berlin Diary (Shirer).

I passed on a bunch of vintage cameras, just wasn't in the mood to haggle since they trotted out some good albums.

Also passed a guy on the way into the sale who had his truck bed filled with about 10 movie projectors. Damn. Guess he cleaned them out in about the first 15 minutes it was open.

#1020 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:25 AM

I haven't been hitting as many yard sales as I normally do this year but last weekend I snapped up an Atari 7800 Prosystem in its original box along with 24 games, Rampage, Mario Bros are only ones off the top of my head. Everything had manuals too. $20 for all of it.

Then it's not gaming related but I got a prototype Kenner Cairo Indiana Jones figure for $25. The woman's son used to work for Kenner and had left that in her house. I've only seen one other in my 20 years collecting Kenner and that was from the guy who does toy appraisals for Antique Roadshow and he was asking $6000 for it before putting it to auction.

Edited by ferant316, 21 June 2012 - 03:38 AM.