Used Playstation 2 systems $29.99 and $39.99

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#31 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

oddly enough, I never owned a PS2 either. I had a strange childhood. My uncle first bought me the original xbox. a year later another uncle bought me a ps1 slim (i know weird). And then a year or two later when my parents were about to buy me a ps2 I threw up at gamestop 9 i was feeling sick) and then my dad got pissed and didn't buy anything. Maybe it's finally time to buy one?

#32 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:40 AM

I bought one at launch, and it died 8 months later when it wouldn't read any discs. Never bought another one, but might now to play Fire Pro and some of the old Wrestle Kingdom games.

#33 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

in stores as well? i may have to stop by!

Yes, it's actually been this price for at least a week, maybe longer.

Cognitive Dissonance: Wanna join my Call of Duty 4 clan?
Me: Who are you?
Cognitive Dissonance: You ask too many questions. Never mind. You're out.

#34 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

They do improve the clarity in the picture but also bring out a bunch of jaggies. I would look around online and if they are around $5 then it would be worth it.

Ha, I just started using a component cable earlier this evening and immediately noticed the jaggies you mentioned. The picture is clearer, but the jaggies really got my attention. Glad to hear that it's not just me that noticed. I picked mine up on Amazon for just around $5 or $6. Also picked up a couple of storage cards for under $10.

BTW: The slim model is really small and fits nicely on my desk, connected to my monitor's component inputs and the speaker attached to the monitor. Quite happy with the setup.

Edited by DarkonJohn, 10 January 2012 - 07:31 AM.

3DS FC: 3652-0544-2057 (PM me with yours if you add me)
Posted Image

#35 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

It's not odd that a person hasn't owned a PS2(I have all 3) or PlayStation, for that matter. Just like it's not odd that not everyone has an Xbox(especially one of those hideous green and white ones!).

And. it's amazing how someone can post a good deal and others come along and say it's 'old news's, but haven't posted it!

Good deal, op!

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Because miserable people want others to feel miserable.

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#36 TooPoor

TooPoor

∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:20 AM

My PS2 died so long ago, might pick it up and play some KOF XI.

#37 neworleans7

neworleans7

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Good deal OP. Gonna have to pick up a slim Friday. There's been a good bit of games I've wanted to play on PS2 but I haven't had one in about 7 years.

#38 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

So this is a permanent price drop and not a temporary sale? On the site, the higher prices appear with red lines through them, which made me wonder.

They drop down to this price about once a year when their PS2 inventory gets too high. I remember it last year and by the time I decided to get one they price had gone back up, so if you want one, don't wait too long to get it.

I finally picked one up this time and since it's a used unit, I also paid the $8 to get their 2-year extended warranty.

While the older models may be more hackable, I'm glad I got the slim that has the internal power adapter (9001?) so it only has a slim power cable and video cable with no bricks.

Mine originally came with some generic non-Dualshock controller, but I took it in this afternoon and they had no problem swapping it for an actual Sony Dualshock 2 controller. I just need to find a game that uses the vibration effect so I can make sure the controller actually works correctly.

I only have a handful of PS2 games right now and have played a couple of them on my PS3, but I figured it's better to play them on a PS2 and spare the stress on my PS3.

BTW: This is also my first PS2. I had many consoles before the PS2 (Atari 400/800, Nintendo, Sega Genesis), but missed out on the Game Cube/Dreamcast/PS1/PS2/XBOX generations because that's when I was in college and graduate school (while working full-time), so I really didn't have time for games during that period of my life. Of course I did spend some time playing PC games...that was more than enough to consume what little free time I had that I saw no reason to buy a console system.
Posted Image

#39 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

Tempting, I do miss my ps2 fatty from back in the day, I dropped that thing on cement so many times I couldnt figure out how it still worked when I finally sold it. At the very least it would be a nice replacement for my shitty old dvd player.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#40 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

^Haven't heard of Atari 400/800.

Those new to PS2, if you like these kinds of games.... Nicktoons:Battle For Volcano Island(saw it on YouTube, bought it for cheap on eBay) is SOOOOOO much fun!!!!! Ridge Racer V and Wipeout Fusion are fun, too!

"If you learn how to center yourself, no one can knock you off balance." - Tony Robbins

Currently Playing: Block_Super_Mario_World.pngSUPER MARIO 3D WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! OMFGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :dunce:  :whee:  Block_Super_Mario_World.png

#41 RichterIX

RichterIX

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

God, if someone wanted to, they could basically fill up on a year's worth of awesome RPGs and buy Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Persona 3 and 4, and maybe Devil Summoner 2. Then toss in the first two Shadow Hearts games and you would basically not leave your house for months.

#42 letskissthesky

letskissthesky

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Just bought a fatty ps2 to put in the bedroom. So I don't have to keep bringing the one I already have back and forthfor dvds and lazy late night gameplaying.

#43 rjejr

rjejr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Just to balance the scales a little - I have owned an Atari 7800, PS, PS2, PS3, Gamecube and Wii, but never an Xbox or Xbox 360.
I traded in my old phat PS2 about a year ago for $44 I think, may have to pick up a slim for $40 later when I go trade in LoZ:SS for $30. I have the white wireless Guitar Hero 3 bundled guitar and 3 GH games, 2 I've never played. Anybody know of any concerns I should have about attaching that guitar to a slim?

#44 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

^Haven't heard of Atari 400/800.

Atari's original computer. My second gaming platform after the Atari 2600.

Pretty good deal. My used slim I got from Gamestop is still going strong. There are also a lot of good games still readily available. As someone said above, if you are into JRPGs, the PS2 was a goldmine.
Posted Image

#45 dark-star

dark-star

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

They haven't. A few weeks ago the slim was 49.99 and the original 39.99, down from 59.99 and 49.99 respectively. This just happened today cause I went to check on the PS2 prices yesterday and they were 49.99 and 59.99

Yep, I know this because I bought a fat one at the $39.99 price at the end of November...too late for a price match now, oh well...
"The piracy can't be done." - EA Rep 'Russell', in chat with CAG crupp.

#46 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

^Haven't heard of Atari 400/800.!

Atari 400: http://oldcomputers.net/atari400.html
Atari 800: http://oldcomputers.net/atari800.html

They were actually a computer/gaming console hybrid, but I mostly used them for playing games :lol:. Then I got an Apple II+ back around 1981/1982 (used for games and as a general-purpose computer).
Posted Image

#47 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

For folks looking at the phat PS2 with its DVD features in mind (there aren't that many dvd players you can use in a vertical fashion), keep in mind that earlier PS2 models didn't have IR ports for the DVD remote built in (I believe this models in 10000 and 30000 range). You had to plug in an IR receiver in one of the front slots (I can't remember if it was the 2nd controller or 2nd memory card slot), but with the 50000 range models and beyond, the IR port was built in....also DVD progressive scan was supported on the 50000 models. While you can get remotes with the IR reciever on ebay, they tend to be more expensive due to to their rarity. You can sometimes find them at gamestop, but GS doesn't keep track of them from the later DVD remotes that didn't come with receivers, so it is hit or miss if you actually find them.

So folks looking for the simplest DVD setup with a phat should look for the 50000 range PS2 phats (these will also be the 'youngest' PS2s phats as well).

CAG had a thread about this some years back

http://www.cheapassg...hp/t-32021.html

#48 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

No wonder I haven't heard of the 400/800... I wasn't born! Lol! Hmmm.. I have heard of something called Calico Vision, or whatever. It must have been more popular...

Have any of you used PS2's internet functions? I thought I read, somewhere, all a person needs is an Ethernet cable which eBay has for cheap. Even 20ft ones can be $4.99. I bought a cable for that, but my PS3 kinda knocked that out of the way! Obviously, it's not going to have PSN functions, lol! Hmmm... Off to YouTube, I go!

#49 ChunLiBarbie

ChunLiBarbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

PS2 online: ^1 day I will get around to trying that for MYSELF!!!

#50 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yep, I know this because I bought a fat one at the $39.99 price at the end of November...too late for a price match now, oh well...

Yeah, I bought a fat one in mid December for 40, but had to return it cause the controller was shot. I figured I'd wait and get a new one instead of an exchange, but at 30 i might give it another go.

#51 200STM

200STM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

I am going to pick one up for collecting, and for some light gun games!

#52 The Lord of Awesome

The Lord of Awesome

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

I think my slim is slowly going out. Should I get a original or another slim? Not looking for modding and I doubt I'll ever use internet on it anymore. Just looking for something that'll read disks quick and last a couple of years.

#53 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think my slim is slowly going out. Should I get a original or another slim? Not looking for modding and I doubt I'll ever use internet on it anymore. Just looking for something that'll read disks quick and last a couple of years.

Slim.

#54 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

The slims will be less old, but sony was really going for lower price points with the slims and I think it shows in their longevity....I've had two slims, both of which I bought new, become much more fussy about reading disks while my eons old phat still runs with no problems.

#55 david12795

david12795

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

i love having a gamestop on my college campus :)
Tradelist
Super Smash Bros. Brawl FC: 5155-4755-9214

#56 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:56 AM

Tempted to get a backup fat.. i have my old fat that still works and a slim, as well as 2 sealed new slims. But i REALLY loved the fat. So much better than the damn slims

Problem is thi sis GS.. no QC at all with their disks so im horrified to think what quality the systems they take in are. Can you inspect it thoroughly before buying? Even so im very leery

#57 TheShepherdSauce

TheShepherdSauce

thick & hearty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

I've done my fair share of fixing up phat PS2s back in college to make a buck here and there. If I were to do this deal, I'd go for the slim instead. Less parts, less things can go wrong. Replacing the lasers on them are a breeze as well. I found that the phat PS2s just didn't age well for the most part.

#58 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

Tempted to get a backup fat.. i have my old fat that still works and a slim, as well as 2 sealed new slims. But i REALLY loved the fat. So much better than the damn slims

Problem is thi sis GS.. no QC at all with their disks so im horrified to think what quality the systems they take in are. Can you inspect it thoroughly before buying? Even so im very leery

They let me inspect mine. They just open their little box and let you have a look. I told them mine was gonna go in the living room so i wanted one that was cosmetically near perfect. And i found one. But like i said earlier, controller was shot.

Plus, it's a used system, so you have 7 days to return it for a refund. That seems like plenty of time to test it out.

#59 ClevelandBrowns

ClevelandBrowns

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

My slim is having troubles reading discs lately, this may be a good option for a backup. The fear is the one I get is even worse at reading discs. Meh, I'll think about it.

Edit: I have taken my slim online. I just used an ethernet cable. I played SW Battlefront 2. The online is decent, but I can't imagine it is very active anymore.

CBrownsT10.png

#60 sasukekun

sasukekun

Cat-Like Typing Detected

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

There is QC. We do test all the systems to make sure they work and can play games before they can be traded in.

The problem is time. Most of the time we only have 2 people working the store, a manager and a GA. With the amount of items being traded it and the things people ask and need help with, there's no time to do such a thing.

I usually let anyone inspect things before they buy em, but if the store has a line of customers and it's super busy, I cant spend 15+ minutes searching the entire store for the best possible system we have in stock.