Daytona USA 50% Off On PSN Via Completely Random PSN Message ONLY

a_dirty_Shisno

CAGiversary!
I just logged on to PSN and received the following message from [SEGA] with the official PSN avatar:

"Hello a_dirty_Shisno,
For a limited time, we are offering select PSN
members the ability to purchase Daytona USA for
$4.99. That's 50% off! Click the link below
between 01/24/12 - 2/6/12 to take advantage of
this special offer!"

The PSN avatar and [] name format proves a message that say's it's from Sony or any other company is legit, in case anyone was wondering.

Anyway, a quick google search shows that this message is so random you may still receive it even if you already own the game. :roll::lol::applause:

Hopefully if you want to buy it you have this waiting for you in your inbox as the game is still full price in the PS Store. You must purchase it through this message in order to receive the discounted price.

PS: This is my first ever deal posting. It kind of sucks that not everyone can take advantage of it.

Yeah, I was super excited to receive a message to purchase a game that I already own. Can't they screen for this? Or how about a free Sonic CD code instead?

I already own Daytona USA and I got the message from Sega. I bought the game last time it was marked $4.99. Don't worry if you do not get the message because this game will be $4.99 again in the future.

Wish I could pass the savings on. I received the message, but had already won the game through Sega's "Name That Tune" contest they were running on their blog. Ah well, great deal on a pretty excellent port of an awesome arcade/Saturn racer.

Weird. I wouldn't minding taking part of this, but I haven't gotten the message from Sega. Hopefully, they'll mention something about this strange sale.

Edit: I got the message on my Master/PS+ account. Odd...But still, least I can partake in this deal.

Bought the game when it first came out and got it again on the 360. Great classic Sega game. Absolutely worth it if you love classic arcade racers. They don't make arcadish racers anymore which is sad.

[quote name='4tygames']I already own Daytona USA and I got the message from Sega. I bought the game last time it was marked $4.99. Don't worry if you do not get the message because this game will be $4.99 again in the future.[/QUOTE]

Same here.
Hopefully they start offering us discounts on games we don't already have in the future, haha.

[quote name='segasaturnsnk']Bought the game when it first came out and got it again on the 360. Great classic Sega game. Absolutely worth it if you love classic arcade racers. They don't make arcadish racers anymore which is sad.[/QUOTE]

Try Need for Speed: The Run, defenitely fits the genre imo. PURE might be a close one too, unless you just mean going in circles lol. Does the horse trick still work ? It was hilarious to crash and see it flip upside-down lol.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Try Need for Speed: The Run, defenitely fits the genre imo. PURE might be a close one too, unless you just mean going in circles lol. Does the horse trick still work ? It was hilarious to crash and see it flip upside-down lol.[/QUOTE]

I tried the demo, I wasn't crazy about it. The closet to an arcade experience racer for me in 2011 was Driver: San Francisco. I thought that was a great game but the continuity was a let down. I played PURE, I thought it was PURE shit lmao. I got it for 10 bucks, played it for 20 mins, and traded it away.

As for the horse, I didn't try use it. Yeah, it's funny to see that stiff ass horse bounce around all over the place.

Everyone keeps on saying it is a port of the Saturn, but I am pretty sure this is a port of the Dreamcast game.

The Saturn game looks pretty bad.

[quote name='tylerh1701']For those that own it, is it worth $4.99? Are the challenges fun? (They're not available in the demo on 360)[/QUOTE]

If you are a fan of it, you'd have gotten it on day one like I did. But since you are asking, it's probably not worth it for you because the game only has 3 tracks (like the arcade) and you are pretty much done with the game in 30 mins. Trophies are a cinch to get too as you can unlock them all in that 30 mins as well. For the fans, they know the fun part of the game is to shave .01 seconds off of each lap and of course the very catchy tunes and the then awesome model 2 arcade graphics and 60fps framerate. Sega did a good job on this port (unlike the recent Sega Rally release which was essentially Sega Rally Revo stripped down).

[quote name='4tygames']Everyone keeps on saying it is a port of the Saturn, but I am pretty sure this is a port of the Dreamcast game.

The Saturn game looks pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

It's neither. It's a port of the arcade version. It is closer to the Saturn version because the Saturn version was also a port of the arcade version. Of course, the Saturn couldn't match the Arcade's graphics and framerate. The DC version was quite a bit different.

[quote name='TheHelix']G a m e o vu e r
G a m e o vu e r
Game over
Game over
Game over
Game over[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it, although I like to say: G-A-M-E O-ooh-E-R

I got this with my $10 from that promo a few months ago... kinda feel like I pissed my money away. I played the crap out of Daytona back in the day and it was fun for about a half hour but outside of a fun nostalgic trip it just didn't seem worth the dough. I'm all for Sega bringing back the Saturn-era arcade games, but I would definitely appreciate it more if they released it in a compilation so there would be some more bang for your buck.

I didn't get the message but wanted it too. Making this deal to random people is stupid as there is no guarantee that they will buy it (while people waiting for a price drop won't pick it up at all for lost sales).

Sometimes I question Sega's marketing on PSN. They remove their featured page, don't offer several good titles that are available on XBLA, now promotions are only given at random.

I'm curious, did you get the message as a regular or psn+ member? Im a plus member and got it for 30% off (the week it came out) and still got this message from Sega.

Thanks OP for the confirmation! I thought it was a scam or something. But it's not! Bought my copy :) even if I didn't want it that much, haha. It had caught my attention jussssst enough for $5 to be a great price.

Btw, to the question above, I'm not a Plus member. I wonder if it's just because I spend a decent amount of money on PSN? Idk...

Oh my dear god, now every stupid PSN message purportedly from Sony or a company offering a deal will be given legitimacy. I'm blocking all PSN messages in three minutes.

I really enjoyed playing Daytona again after years since my Saturn days. I also tried out Space Channel 5 Part 2, and had a lot of fun too, although I don't know why Sega didn't offer Part 1 with it.

[quote name='themidgardknight']Thanks OP for the confirmation! I thought it was a scam or something. But it's not! Bought my copy :) even if I didn't want it that much, haha. It had caught my attention jussssst enough for $5 to be a great price.

Btw, to the question above, I'm not a Plus member. I wonder if it's just because I spend a decent amount of money on PSN? Idk...[/QUOTE]

probably the reason why some only got 30% off and some 50% off.

i buy most psn games as well and got 50% off.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Oh my dear god, now every stupid PSN message purportedly from Sony or a company offering a deal will be given legitimacy. I'm blocking all PSN messages in three minutes.[/QUOTE]

You can easily tell which ones are bullshit and which ones are legit.

I don't think many regular users can send messages with attachments that take you directly to a discounted item on the store.

[quote name='Wario64']Are you able to forward the message? Maybe people here who already have the game can share the deal.[/QUOTE]

That'd be cool, but I don't think it's possible. I wish PSN had a gifting feature. I have no interest in buying this for my main account, but would gift it to someone that does.

I ended up getting a message and promptly purchased the game. Daytona was always one of my arcade favorites and I played the heck out of it on my Saturn. I'm sure it will be $5 with one of the inevitable Sega sales down the line but it's nice to have it a little early for that price.

I wonder how they filtered who to send these to? Is it from buying something from Sega in the past or just completely random?

I have the 360 version and I'm shocked that there's only about 15k people worldwide that bought it on 360. I've been wondering why Sega hasn't released any Model 2/3 arcade games on XBLA or PSN but now with sales numbers like these I guess I get it. I'm sure the PSN version sold better thanks to Japan but still I doubt it sold good. Do people not have arcade nostalgia? I for one would gladly buy Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Scud Race, and others if they were available.

The port of Daytona is amazing, it's the true arcade version in HD, it looks and plays great especially if you have a force feedback wheel. If you can get it for 5 bucks don't hesitate.

bread's done
Back