Photo
- - - - -

Final Fantasy Versus XIII....Sick of waiting yet?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

I am sick of waiting. I want Kingdom Hearts 3 more though. This dev team has too much to handle.

Hint of FFXIII-3
http://m.ign.com/art...ii-3-on-the-way

FFXIII announcement coming Sept 1, can't be DLC for XIII-2 since that's finished. Could just be a Dirge of Cerebus for Lightning though.
http://m.ign.com/art...-on-september-1

Rumor that Versus XIII was canceled and will be made into FFXV instead
http://www.egmnow.co...been-cancelled/

#32 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Fuck it. I rather have it for the next gen of consoles
Posted Image

#33 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

give me xiii-3, i love this franchise

#34 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

You'd think that after Final Fantasy XIII only came together into a finished game by the skin of its teeth, Square-Enix would realize that spending the first 4 years of development on the FMV cutscenes and then scrambling to build gameplay around it at the last minute isn't the best idea.

Meh. I was never too interested in Versus anyway, the urban/mafia setting didn't really appeal to me. Bring on XIII-3 and XV. I just wonder how much of the work on Versus will be able to be repurposed into other projects (again, assuming there actually was any work done on it apart from the cutscenes).

There was gameplay, and quite a bit too, see here.

There is another leaked footage trailer that actually has some "brighter" environments and looked a lot nicer. (actually the non-city environments looked pretty good in the first video too)

(sorry can't put 2 videos in one post, they break the thread)

youtube.com /watch?v=W19QjgHHads

Still say the game looked like a higher res version of Crisis Core / Type 0

I am sick of waiting. I want Kingdom Hearts 3 more though. This dev team has too much to handle.

Rumor that Versus XIII was canceled and will be made into FFXV instead
http://www.egmnow.co...been-cancelled/

The Versus devs are the same team so I won't hold your breath for the new KH's game anytime soon.

Versus looked a hell of a lot like Crisis Core, just by watching the gameplay video, and it wouldn't shock me to see the name change, frankly it's a rebranding more than a cancellation.

They waste too much time on things like the FF7 tech demo and the agni's philosophy real time demo and not on getting product out, seems to me that they like making pretty things that aren't playable (someone that was too much into the european demo scene of the late 90's is working for Square now)
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#35 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

The Versus devs are the same team so I won't hold your breath for the new KH's game anytime soon.

That's what I meant. Kingdom Hearts 3 should have been worked on/working on for the past 6 years, if not for Versus. KH2 had the secret video ending in the game way back in 2005. But they were working on Versus XIII instead to get that out for the XIII spin-offs (Agito renamed Type-0 sans XIII) which I don't think they knew they would do direct sequels back then. So I think Versus will be changed and renamed FFXV most likely for PS4, just my opinion. We maybe have a better idea of what will happen on Sept 1, since this Lightning thing may be a whole new game or cross over?

I'm not sure how well the KH games do on PSP, DS, and 3DS, but the game series has a bigger following that some unreleased game I'm sure. KH3 would have been the perfect game to do for "the new PS3" back then, or even a few years ago when they realized XIII will have sequels and Agito/Versus carrying the XIII name wouldn't happen.

#36 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

The Kotaku story is oddly worded. "cancelled in its' original form" means...what, exactly? It's become something else? I don't think people would be surprised if it became FFXV. In fact, most people are counting on it. I imagine changing the universe because of the horribleness that are XIII and XIII-2, might cause a significant delay and story change, just like Agito XIII becoming Type 0.

To be honest, I don't think it's coming out. Just like Last Guardian.

Also, Square should take the Nintendo approach with Final Fantasy. "NEW Final Fantasy" Make the every-man JRPG with a non-bloated story. Good guys being good guys. Bad guys being bad guys. It'd be great.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#37 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

They have a bazillion people working at Square Enix Japan spread across multiple cities, and XIII-2 and Versus XIII are made by completely different teams. Not saying Versus XIII's development is proceeding smoothly as planned, because clearly it's not, but you can't just assume one game is gonna suck because another with the same publisher on the box did.

Oh yes we can. Because Square Enix is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck. Almost every game thsi generation that they released was a sucking mess that sucked more ass than a john inquiring about a hookers ass buffet. Infact Final Fantasy 13 was like the asian hooker. It looked nice but it had no redeeming values what so ever and by the time you spent enough time with it to see any sort of redeeming value, you realize that you just shitted 20-30 hours of your valuable time to get something that's comparable to the fifty dollars you spent to get a five dollar stuffed animal out of the rigged crane game. That's the kind of suck that Square Enix delivered this gen.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#38 Mad39er

Mad39er

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Oh yes we can. Because Square Enix is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck. Almost every game thsi generation that they released was a sucking mess that sucked more ass than a john inquiring about a hookers ass buffet. Infact Final Fantasy 13 was like the asian hooker. It looked nice but it had no redeeming values what so ever and by the time you spent enough time with it to see any sort of redeeming value, you realize that you just shitted 20-30 hours of your valuable time to get something that's comparable to the fifty dollars you spent to get a five dollar stuffed animal out of the rigged crane game. That's the kind of suck that Square Enix delivered this gen.

There is just too much in there for me to reasonably quote for a sig but otherwise spot on, preach on good sir.
Gran Turismo 5 B-Spec Primer - Now with colors!
"When I started racing my father told me, ‘Cristiano, nobody has three balls but some people have two very good ones'." – Cristiano Da Matta

"Any drunk can fall off a bar stool. It takes a real man to ride it all the way to the ground."

Referal for Dusk 514:

#39 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Correct post is correct. Fuck the weeaboos who still think SE produces quality products.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#40 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Correct post is correct. Fuck the weeaboos who still think SE produces quality products.

Says the guy whose PSN is Makino_Tsukushi.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#41 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

lulz angry old people

#42 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Says the guy whose PSN is Makino_Tsukushi.

OSHIT YOU OUTED ME!!

I think anyone who would even read this topic is a weeaboo, buddy.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#43 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

Not surprised. Doubt they'll just trash 6 years worth of development, though, especially since I'm sure they want to put out as many FF-branded games as they can before the new consoles come out and they have to learn how to program for a new platform. I recall that FFXIII started out on the PS2, overstayed it's welcome, and then got moved to PS3 which set it back a lot because of the learning curve on the new system. Isn't that also what motivated the 360 port - they spent so much developing it in the transition that it was a means to generate additional profit?

They've been pretty lacking on the console front for sure. But DQ9 was one of my favorite games, on the DS and ever. Theatrhythm is a one-trick pony, but I'm enjoying it.
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#44 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

The Square I loved died after the PS1 era, they managed to put out a few decent things in the PS2 era, but not as many (or varied) as they did two generations ago...
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#45 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

The Square I loved died after the PS1 era, they managed to put out a few decent things in the PS2 era, but not as many (or varied) as they did two generations ago...

That's basically how I see Square,the PS1 was their system.All the good talent they had left after the Enix merger.

#46 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

On DS Square-Enix is not so bad... then again 90% of those games are remakes.

PaulManda.png

#47 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

It's still ALIVE
http://m.ign.com/art...i-not-cancelled

#48 tommythethumb

tommythethumb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

It's still ALIVE
http://m.ign.com/art...i-not-cancelled

I got excited but then I happened to catch a glimpse of my Duke Nukem Forever box. I swear I heard chuckling.

#49 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

I got excited but then I happened to catch a glimpse of my Duke Nukem Forever box. I swear I heard chuckling.

You get poop thrown at you?

Hopefully the delay is because they are doing FFxiii style cutscenes. And not in game footage style of -2 and, you know, Gameplay and cutscenes. XIII series, is that too much to ask?

#50 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

And now you know why no one listens to Kotaku, and knowing is half the battle.

#51 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

just came back from the future. The game sucks. It bored me. In retrospect, Duke Nukem Forever will go down as the misunderstood man of valor, while Final Fantasy Versus X Slash Douche Bells w Chains Shoes Uniforms and Nomura 13x10 will go down as the day emos get put where they belong. The trash.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#52 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

That's basically how I see Square,the PS1 was their system.All the good talent they had left after the Enix merger.

As far as creators when Matsuno left (after the FFXII debacle sent him to the hospital) and any chances for a Vagrant Story sequel disappeared, that pretty much killed any good will I had toward them, and if it wasn't for my stubborn devotion to FF (bought 13 and 13-2, even though I said I wouldn't, damn brand loyalty...) I wouldn't touch anything they developed anymore.

Just like Tri-Ace an excellent JRPG dev, I adore Resonance of Fate which Sega published, & Valkyrie Profile, but I think Infinite Undiscovery is not a very good game in comparison to those two.

sigh...

#53 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

As far as creators when Matsuno left (after the FFXII debacle sent him to the hospital) and any chances for a Vagrant Story sequel disappeared, that pretty much killed any good will I had toward them, and if it wasn't for my stubborn devotion to FF (bought 13 and 13-2, even though I said I wouldn't, damn brand loyalty...) I wouldn't touch anything they developed anymore.

Just like Tri-Ace an excellent JRPG dev, I adore Resonance of Fate which Sega published, & Valkyrie Profile, but I think Infinite Undiscovery is not a very good game in comparison to those two.

sigh...

Really? I'd go with RoF in that list. Too many bad gameplay decisions(a few bosses are way overpowered, the fact that all enemies build as you do makes grinding too complicated) , there are only two colors in the game, and the difficulty curve is ridiculous. I was waiting for that game since it was announced, I was hugely disappointed played it for like 15 hours and just traded it in. IU was underrated. It did nothing new and had one level that was as dumb as a box of rocks, but it had solid gameplay and a solid if not odd story.

#54 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

I forget where, but I was reading an article of what has happened since this game was announced. The entire Assassin's Creed franchise was one that kind of blew my mind for a second lol. That and the punchline was Duke Nukem Forever released.

#55 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

I forget where, but I was reading an article of what has happened since this game was announced. The entire Assassin's Creed franchise was one that kind of blew my mind for a second lol.

That's crazy to think about.

The only Final Fantasy games in the past decade that didn't have long, troubled development periods were X-2 and XIII-2. XII and XIII both flirted with major disaster and XIV was a major disaster. Just, what are they doing over there?

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#56 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

OK, I have to laugh at this. Are we seriously going to be on XIII-3 or XV before this game is out? They'll have to change the name to Versus XIII-XV. :lol:

#57 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

That's crazy to think about.

The only Final Fantasy games in the past decade that didn't have long, troubled development periods were X-2 and XIII-2. XII and XIII both flirted with major disaster and XIV was a major disaster. Just, what are they doing over there?

Bath salts? That would explain much, especially the 13-2 storyline

#58 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Snipers and dirty tricks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Bath salts? That would explain much, especially the 13-2 storyline

I think you're on to something here.

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#59 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

Really? I'd go with RoF in that list. Too many bad gameplay decisions(a few bosses are way overpowered, the fact that all enemies build as you do makes grinding too complicated) , there are only two colors in the game, and the difficulty curve is ridiculous. I was waiting for that game since it was announced, I was hugely disappointed played it for like 15 hours and just traded it in. IU was underrated. It did nothing new and had one level that was as dumb as a box of rocks, but it had solid gameplay and a solid if not odd story.

Didn't see this reply.

The main issue with people not liking RoF is that they don't stick with it and experiment with the battle system and get past the learning curve, I've had boss battles that were nail biters since my defense was broken my characters running around like idiots and I was like "Oh $#!@", then somehow I managed to get back into action and pulled off an impossible victory.

You have to seriously customize your guns, as they are the key to victory. Learning how to juggle, then slam opponents is another key to victory, setting up a Tri-Attack while not necessary helps as well, but it isn't easy to pull off. Break specific pieces and farm items is not something that you can do if you feel like it, you must do that to win, you need the parts that you craft from those pieces. If you look at some of the gun load outs for the golden weapons, they are insanely complicated (and very unrealistic as how a gun would work that way) but that's what makes the game so cool, that adding all of that stuff would make a gun so powerful, and that's where your edge in battle comes from.

And as of this moment, RoF is the only game I've bothered to platinum, because I loved it so much. Sure there is a lot of grinding in that game (mostly in the battle arena, which goes along way to helping mastering the battle system since you don't have to worry about a game over, and can power up your characters different skills fairly easily to level up)

I liked it because it tried something different and succeeded wildly. I'd argue that the learning curve is no different than Final Fantasy Tactics, I was really intimidated by it when I first played it after 10-20 hours I was rocking the battle system, shame more people couldn't or wouldn't give RoF a fair chance and also a shame we'll never see a well needed sequel to such a great game.