Photo
- - - - -

2012 MLB Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1142 replies to this topic

#1051 speedracer

speedracer

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Absolutely stupid deal by the Blue Jays. Trading away your best prospect and another top 5 prospect for what may turn out to be a rental if an extension doesn't happen.

He signed the extension.
Posted Image

#1052 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, I saw. I still don't think he is worth the best catching prospect in baseball. But, hey, more power to the Jays I guess. I still see the Mets as the winner of this trade because D'Arnaud will be a star.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1053 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, I saw. I still don't think he is worth the best catching prospect in baseball. But, hey, more power to the Jays I guess. The Mets might be the winner of this trade if D'Arnaud turns out to be a star.

Corrected that for you.

Either way a very good trade for the Mets. The Jays are in a win now mode so this trade makes sense. I'm not saying that they didn't give up a lot for a 37 year old pitcher coming off a career year but I see their motivation.
Xecutioner
CML

#1054 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Alderson pulled off two beauties with this and the Beltran trade.

#1055 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

The Blue Jays clearly see they have a window to try to make the playoffs the next couple of years while the Red Sox are rebuilding and the Yankees are ancient.

#1056 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Corrected that for you.

Either way a very good trade for the Mets. The Jays are in a win now mode so this trade makes sense. I'm not saying that they didn't give up a lot for a 37 year old pitcher coming off a career year but I see their motivation.

^This. D'arnaud had a crazy BABIP rate for the last two years (though Posey did as well and look at how that turned out). Jays got three years of a great pitcher at a below market cost.

The Blue Jays clearly see they have a window to try to make the playoffs the next couple of years while the Red Sox are rebuilding and the Yankees are ancient.

Last year's ancient Yankees team had the most wins in the AL. Blue Jays are the favorites to win the division right now but the off season is very far from over. Saying that Blue Jays will be play off contenders for the next couple of years with out seeing the team on the field is quite ridiculous.

#1057 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

I was just stating their management's logic. I couldn't give a crap less if they contend or not. I'm a Braves fan. :-)

But I can see why their management is making moves. If they're every going to win the division or get a wild card, the next 2 or 3 years when the Red Sox are rebuilding and the Yankees keep getting older is probably their best shot unless they get ownership willing to spend on par with those franchises.

#1058 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

http://espn.go.com/d...ers-sources-say

Looks like Pierzynski is meeting with the Rangers, so hopefully that leads to them signing him. I know Soto was told he would be the starting catcher, but AJ is such an offensive upgrade and Texas needs more pop in their lineup.

Posted Image

#1059 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Yeah, I don't know why they told Soto he would be the starter, because that's pretty dumb. He's a decent back-up, but otherwise he sucks. AJP would work wonders in the line-up.
Posted Image

#1060 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

You guys are talking about the 36 year old AJ Pierzynski who just had a fluke career year, right?

It'd be much cheaper for the Rangers to just keep Soto and get a LH backup to play against difficult or moderately tough RHP, if possible.
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#1061 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Soto was absolutely awful last year. His only redeeming quality of the year is how well Darvish pitched when he was behind the plate and that's it. I will gladly take AJP (in this ballpark) for two years until Alfaro is read to go.
Posted Image

#1062 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Soto was absolutely awful last year. His only redeeming quality of the year is how well Darvish pitched when he was behind the plate and that's it. I will gladly take AJP (in this ballpark) for two years until Alfaro is read to go.

This is 100 percent true. .200 average and runners ran all over him.

#1063 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

And it really doesn't help that his current back-up is Eli "I can't hit at all" Whiteside.
Posted Image

#1064 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Soto's 2010 was leagues better than even Pierzynski's career year. That's his ceiling, and his floor was last season, a year in which his .228 BABIP was contradicted by a 21% line drive rate (his career BABIP before last season, with similar line drive, groundball, flyball, and pop up rates, was nearly .300).

Arlington won't give AJ a boost; US Cellular is just as friendly to LHB as Arlington. He's 36 and swings at over 40% of the pitches he sees outside of the strike zone. Texas would be wise to let someone else pay him $15-20 million for the next two seasons.

#1065 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

I feel fairly confident in a AJP/Soto tandem than a Soto/Whiteside tandem. And money really isn't an issue at this point for the Rangers. They're obviously not making any huge paychecks this offseason, so why not? It'd better the team. Soto showed last season that he couldn't be a successful everyday player while Napoli was hurt. I see no reason why that would change.

I like Soto as a back-up, not a starter and the Rangers FO also sees that. Honestly, I would rather have Kelly Shoppach, but the line-up needs some sort of Lefty presence besides Murphy and Profar against righties.
Posted Image

#1066 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

I feel fairly confident in a AJP/Soto tandem than a Soto/Whiteside tandem. And money really isn't an issue at this point for the Rangers. They're obviously not making any huge paychecks this offseason, so why not? It'd better the team. Soto showed last season that he couldn't be a successful everyday player while Napoli was hurt. I see no reason why that would change.

I like Soto as a back-up, not a starter and the Rangers FO also sees that. Honestly, I would rather have Kelly Shoppach, but the line-up needs some sort of Lefty presence besides Murphy and Profar against righties.

If Texas has the money/desire for Pierzynski strictly hit against RHP and Soto caught Darvish/against opposing LHP, that'd work fine. That's an expensive platoon, though.

#1067 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

The Angels are sending Kendry Morales to Seattle for Jason Vargas. I guess Trumbo and Bourjos are sticking around for now.

#1068 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Four years 52 mill for Jackson. Figured the Cubs would go after him as Sanchez slipped out of their hands. Would rather take Jackson's contract over Greinke or Sanchez's, guy is a legitimate top of a rotation innings eater.

Aaand Rangers inked A.J.P to a one year deal. Soto/AJP platoon is very good.

#1069 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

Four years 52 mill for Jackson. Figured the Cubs would go after him as Sanchez slipped out of their hands. Would rather take Jackson's contract over Greinke or Sanchez's, guy is a legitimate top of a rotation innings eater.

Aaand Rangers inked A.J.P to a one year deal. Soto/AJP platoon is very good.

Christ. Phil Hughes is gonna get a lot of money from someone.

#1070 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

Alderson pulled off two beauties with this and the Beltran trade.

Agreed. D'Arnaud is def the centerpiece but him snagging Syndergaard and Bucera was the icing.

The Jays got the better end in the short term obviously, but if D'arnaud and Syndergaard come out on top than its the mets. Syndergaard looks like a BEAST!!!!
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#1071 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Diamondbacks continue baffling as they sign Ross to a three year deal.

#1072 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I saw on Deadspin that Dale Murphy did a reddit Q&A and said he would have liked "Daft Punk is playing in my house" as his walk up music. That should put his HOF candidacy over the top.

#1073 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Diamondbacks continue baffling as they sign Ross to a three year deal.

Kevin Towers hates Justin Upton.

#1074 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

Kevin Towers hates Justin Upton.

Maybe Daniels will come to his senses and deal Andrus for him.

Mariners inked Ibanez. Poor Mariners fans never catch a break, many expected them to go after Swisher.

As a Yankees fan, I can now exhale. Raul had a magical post season but a .248 .319 .492 line against RHP for a RH platoon bat is pretty bad.

#1075 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

LOL at the Swisher contract.

#1076 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I saw on Deadspin that Dale Murphy did a reddit Q&A and said he would have liked "Daft Punk is playing in my house" as his walk up music. That should put his HOF candidacy over the top.

A Week late to this comment, but LCD Soundsystem is quite possibly the best live show I've ever seen and I've probably been to around 500+ concerts/shows/festivals in my life.
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#1077 Icegaryen

Icegaryen

Stuart and the Ave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

LOL at the Swisher contract.

Why?

The reactions of Dodger fans who are aware of Ethier to Mariners rumors are hilarious. I was laughing halfway through this piece particularly. Andre is a platoon bat who is absolutely unplayable against LHP and is below average defensively. He is overpayed, why trade for him when you could have signed a better player (Swisher) to a better contract.

#1078 FloodyFloats

FloodyFloats

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Why?

The reactions of Dodger fans who are aware of Ethier to Mariners rumors are hilarious. I was laughing halfway through this piece particularly. Andre is a platoon bat who is absolutely unplayable against LHP and is below average defensively. He is overpayed, why trade for him when you could have signed a better player (Swisher) to a better contract.

That was a god awful article. Super bias article. Im not sure if the second part is your opinion or you qouting but i agree.While i dont know his exact stats, every game i see hes just awful at bat.As a dodger fan i dont really care if he stays or leaves but the best the dodgers will get for him is him off the payroll, none of this top prospect bs.

#1079 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hall of Fame shutout.

I'd say it's about time that the BBWAA no longer gets to decide who's in and who's out. I'm not sure what the best way to do it is, but it isn't this.

I feel especially bad for a guy like Biggio, who should definitely be in the Hall of Fame and yet gets swept up in this nonsense.

33126.png

#1080 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

How in the hell does Schilling get less votes than Mike Piazza?
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image