2012 MLB Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1142 replies to this topic

#91 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Nefty Feliz looked great tonight. Hopefully he can keep it up. Wash does need to look into limiting his pitches though. I believe he through close to 110 pitches and throwing that many could cause him to break down like Ogando did last year.

I don't see Nefty breaking down like Ogando did. Nefty has started before in the minors and Ogando did. What also brought Ogando down is when he couldn't find the strike zone and threw nothing but fastballs. Nefty showed a filthy change-up last night and those tend to tire the arm far less than anything else. I will reserve judgement, though, until he faces a team that can actually play.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#92 Nate Nanjo

Nate Nanjo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I always like seeing who takes the longest to lose/win their first game. Everyone except Arizona already has lost at least once and everyone except Minnesota has at least one win.

How long will Minnesota open with a losing streak? They are playing the Angels now, then play the Rangers, Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox. It could be a while.

Edited by Nate Nanjo, 11 April 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#93 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

I always like seeing who takes the longest to lose/win their first game. Everyone except Arizona already has lost at least once and everyone except Minnesota has at least one win.

How long will Minnesota open with a losing streak? They are playing the Angels now, then play the Rangers, Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox. It could be a while.

I think by the time they play the Sox one of those teams will probably have a bad day but if not I can see the Sox dropping one to them. They look horrible but I still can't imagine the Twins winning more than 65 games this season.

As far as the Red Sox are concerned I think they are going to be last or next to last in the AL East at the end of the season.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#94 Nate Nanjo

Nate Nanjo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

Well Arizona loses and Minnesota wins. That didn't take to long.

The Twins could still rival Detroits 2003 season, but we'll have to see.

#95 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

I don't even know what's going on with the Giants right now. Offense is amazing and pitching is terrible, this makes no sense. >:(
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image

#96 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

Welcome to Bizarro World.

Lincecum ... wtf!

#97 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

As far as the Red Sox are concerned I think they are going to be last or next to last in the AL East at the end of the season.

Normally I'd rush to disagree with you, but looking at their bullpen so far its hard to argue. I can't see any way they finish behind the Orioles, but I picked them to finish 3rd anyway and it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that the Blue Jays pass them.

It's still just six games though. Last year at this point the Sox were 0-6, and if they'd started 1-5 instead they would have made the playoffs. :D

33126.png

#98 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Dodgers in 1st. Giants in last.

Lincecum's ERA is 12.91. Billingsley's is 0.68. Kershaw's is 0.90.

Damn it feels good. Can't start a season better than this.

edit: Buster Posey has shingles? lulz
Posted Image

#99 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Normally I'd rush to disagree with you, but looking at their bullpen so far its hard to argue. I can't see any way they finish behind the Orioles, but I picked them to finish 3rd anyway and it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that the Blue Jays pass them.

It's still just six games though. Last year at this point the Sox were 0-6, and if they'd started 1-5 instead they would have made the playoffs. :D

I had them at 3rd but I think the Jays will pass them this year. Not sure if the Orioles will pass the Sox but they have been improving over the last few years. If they go from missing the playoffs by one game to 4th in their division what do you think happens to Valentine?

Next year there are getting rid of the divisions. That could help or hurt teams depending on their division. With the addition of another wildcard finishing 3rd isn't an instant ride to the off season.

#100 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

If they go from missing the playoffs by one game to 4th in their division what do you think happens to Valentine?

If they finish behind the Blue Jays, he'll be gone. If they finish behind the Rays and Yankees, but still above .500, I think he'd get at least one more season.

As for the Orioles improving, if you see going from 98 losses to 96 to 93 as real improvement, I guess so. The Orioles are still pretty bad as far as I'm concerned.

33126.png

#101 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Snagged two tickets in left field to Monday night's Angels/A's game for $10. If anyone's looking for cheap tickets that aren't on Stubhub, I'll toss out ScoreBig as a pretty solid pick. It's sort of like Priceline for sports tickets (choose a rating, make an offer, get random seats). They just ran a Groupon deal ($5 for $40 in site credit to buy tickets), and there's a Hulu signup (promo code HULU at signup) that gives you a free $25 when you sign up as well.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#102 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Giants win a painful one. Wilson seems to be hurt, though Crawford just said he only tweaked his ankle.

Going to the game on Sunday against the Pirates, pretty excited.

Posted Image

#103 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

Dunno if any of you have seen this or not.

http://espn.go.com/m...eveland-indians

Johnny Damon to the Indians. He may only be there until Sizemore comes off the DL. I'll never understand why the A's picked up Manny Ramirez over Damon.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#104 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Los Angeles' pitchers had a 25-0 strikeout-to-walk ratio in this series before Mike MacDougal's walk to Mike McKenry in the sixth. The last time the Dodgers' staff went an entire three-game series without issuing a base on balls was in July 1940 against the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds.

Nice.
Posted Image

#105 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hopefully some home cooking is just what the Red Sox need to get their season kickstarted. Got some very tough games coming up (TB/NY/TEX). Their schedule eases up considerably after that, but if they're going to be competitive this year they need to play the good teams to at least a draw as well.

33126.png

#106 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Can't believe I was roofied by Liriano's command and velocity in the spring. First inning of the real season, dude is lights out against Baltimore, pounding the strike zone and hitting 94 regularly. In the 7+ innings since then, he's scraping 90 and having command and control issues.

Never. Again.
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#107 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Going to be interesting to see how the Rangers play on their first big road trip (3 in Minnesota, 2 in Boston and 4 in Detroit). Not too scared of Minnesota or Boston, but Texas has a terrible track record playing at Comerica Park.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#108 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Not too scared of Minnesota or Boston

I can't believe we're at this point already. :-(

33126.png

#109 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Not that I'm not lovin it, but wtf is going on with SF pitchers? Lincecum and Wilson are both WAAAAAAAAY down in velocity this year. Wilson's fastball is down 4.99 mph from last year. How the hell does that happen? Is the guy hiding an injury to his arm or what?
Posted Image

#110 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Not that I'm not lovin it, but wtf is going on with SF pitchers? Lincecum and Wilson are both WAAAAAAAAY down in velocity this year. Wilson's fastball is down 4.99 mph from last year. How the hell does that happen? Is the guy hiding an injury to his arm or what?

Wilson looks like he's about thirty pounds lighter. He was pitching hurt yesterday, not sure about his other appearances.

Lincecum allegedly lost 25 pounds in the offseason. He does look thinner, and since he gained a bit of velocity last season after gaining weight, it's likely that the weight loss is to blame. Or his shoulder could be dust. His lack of command might be foretelling an elbow injury, too.

A more interesting velocity drop is Felix. His changeup is still 89.3 MPH, same as last year, but his fastball is under 91 MPH. I'm guessing he's putting his fastballs too deep into his hand or something, since he's clearly still generating the arm speed for his changeup and other pitches.

#111 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Lincecum allegedly lost 25 pounds in the offseason. He does look thinner, and since he gained a bit of velocity last season after gaining weight, it's likely that the weight loss is to blame. Or his shoulder could be dust. His lack of command might be foretelling an elbow injury, too.

I read that he junked his slider heading into the season. If that's not a sign of someone worried about an elbow injury, I'm not sure what is.

33126.png

#112 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

I read that he junked his slider heading into the season. If that's not a sign of someone worried about an elbow injury, I'm not sure what is.

He said he junked it, but he clearly threw at least ten that I saw in each start. So I'm not sure what's up with that.

Looked up his Pitchf/x, says he's thrown his slider more than 20% of the time. Fangraphs has those sliders marked down as changeups, and whatever that pitch is, it's getting destroyed.

#113 vrs1650

vrs1650

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

I hope Lincecum is ok, it's not the same for Kershaw to kick his all like he did all of last year if he isn't healthy. If he's not ok, there goes the Giants season. Cause it's not like they have the offense to make up for it.
I am glad to see the Dodgers start 6-1, and yes I know it was against the Pirates and Padres, but if you are going to make the post season, you have to beat the teams you are supposed too. Ethier, Rivera and Billengsly's start is a postive sign. I hope they can keep it up to take the pressure off of Kemp and Kershaw. Now Uribe and Loney need to pick up some slack.
[IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/%20http://live.xbox.com/member/vrs1650.jpg[/IMG]

Originally Posted by Nephlabobo [IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/disturbed/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]
Yeah, but you're acting like I'm asking for unicorns and leprechauns to reenact "Two Girls One Cup".

#114 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Day baseball: The perfect antidote for a Friday afternoon at work. Although I have a sinking feeling the Sox will be getting my weekend off to a crappy start.

33126.png

#115 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Posted Image

#116 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Sox finally have a lead and are playing well... and Ellsbury injures his shoulder sliding into second. This team is starting to have that snakebit look.

33126.png

#117 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Matt Cain's perfect game broken up by James McDonald. He's on fire today, 7.2 IP 1H 10K 0BB so far, so good.

Edit: Lets make that 8IP 11K now.

Posted Image

#118 goodbyetonight

goodbyetonight

Lt. Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

Random question: does anyone know how many times Joe DiMaggio threw out the first pitch at the Yankees home opener? I can't find any site that says it.

98799.pngimages_zps9a2215bc.jpg

#119 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

Matt Cain's perfect game broken up by James McDonald. He's on fire today, 7.2 IP 1H 10K 0BB so far, so good.

Edit: Lets make that 8IP 11K now.

The irony in Cain's 1 hitter that broke up his perfect game was that it was done by the opposing team's pitcher (McDonald). Iirc Cain was ahead in the count with 2 strikes at the time. Guy was batting under .100 too lol wtf.

#120 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

Wilson looks like he's about thirty pounds lighter. He was pitching hurt yesterday, not sure about his other appearances.

A more interesting velocity drop is Felix. His changeup is still 89.3 MPH, same as last year, but his fastball is under 91 MPH. I'm guessing he's putting his fastballs too deep into his hand or something, since he's clearly still generating the arm speed for his changeup and other pitches.

Good thing Giants only did a 2 year deal. Gives them time to see if Tim's drop in velocity ever gets corrected.