Photo
- - - - -

Gamestop Throwing Away Guitar Controllers - YMMV

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#121 kodave

kodave

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

I was last in a GameStop maybe a year or a year and a half ago. Some mom was trading in her ungrateful son's stack of Wii games, getting jack shit in TIV like usual. The guy working the counter said that while they can't give her any trade in credit for the plastic guitar, GameStop takes them and gives them away to free for people who buy the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games.

:roll:

I assume the employee was taking the plastic controllers for himself, taking the plastic controllers as inventory and selling them in a 100% profit action for GameStop, or that he just amassed a pile in the back and maybe they'll use those guitars to up their inventory to get a bigger tax write off when they destroy them. It's definitely pessimistic of me, but I doubt GameStop is in the charity business of helping out customers who purchase rhythm guitar games by giving them free plastic guitars.

#122 lllGurulll

lllGurulll

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

people still play the guitar games?
PSWii60 FTW!!!

#123 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

And I'll bet you play shoegazing/dream pop. ;)

Haha. How did you guess? I would like to, but sadly I've been in mostly punk bands playing drums.

#124 dmdragon

dmdragon

Likes PIE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

I'm a musician. I find it more offensive that people who call themselves "controllerists" consider themselves musicians. I wish they would all dubstep off a roof.

Really? They actually call themselves controllerists?

I play some guitar, but I would never think i was a guitarist because I can hit 5 buttons in sync

Saw a funny quote online the other day

What's the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist

The Jazz guitarist plays 1000 chords in front of 3 people
The Rock guitarist plays 3 chords in front of 1000 people.

That is the most true statement I've read in a LONG time.

#125 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

Really? They actually call themselves controllerists?

I play some guitar, but I would never think i was a guitarist because I can hit 5 buttons in sync

I'm talking about these people, not GH players:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Controllerism

http://www.controllerism.com/

#126 dmdragon

dmdragon

Likes PIE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I'm talking about these people, not GH players:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Controllerism

http://www.controllerism.com/

Oh look, i can mix OTHER PEOPLE'S MUSIC and i'm now a musician /sigh

And I liked guitar hero and rock band, but when I moved on to the real thing i just kind of didn't want to play them anymore. They can be good for music in general. I'm sure a lot of people picked up a real guitar after playing these (Kind of like I did), but their usefulness wears out once you start the real thing.

#127 savagepastry

savagepastry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

Haha. How did you guess? I would like to, but sadly I've been in mostly punk bands playing drums.

Your name, of course.

#128 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:09 AM

I was kind of hoping that this thread was going to have stories about dumpster diving at midnight looking for controllers and being questioned by the police. Unfortunately it isn't what I hoped for :(

I need a new signature.

#129 sassylaurie

sassylaurie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

I hope those who are feeling green are buying all their games via digital format since CD/DVD media takes 100+ years to decompose.

#130 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Your name, of course.

I know. That's why I put haha. ;)

#131 Maskim

Maskim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

You're telling me it's 100% right for them to charge $60 for someone elses' already assembled(and wobbly) old tv stand that they got for free as a donation?

I would bet that, more often than not, that's probably due more to the greed of the person donating the item, than anything else. The person donates the item, wants a receipt for tax purposes, and tells them the value is what they paid for it a decade prior. So then they price it much lower than the value they were told, and it's still insanely high.
Posted Image

#132 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

While I don't begrudge them making money to support the organization, there is a limit to how much they really should charge for stuff. I've seen years old entertainment centers for TV's in my local Salvation Army stores that cost as much as(if not MORE than) a brand new one from Wally World. You're telling me it's 100% right for them to charge $60 for someone elses' already assembled(and wobbly) old tv stand that they got for free as a donation?

I won't even get into the DVD's/CD's/games they get in, but let's just say I could buy em way cheaper elsewhere most times.:roll:

Is this not the way of the world though? Like I said, I don't really begrudge them trying to make money to support their charitable endeavours. But when they're paying their CEO hundreds of thousands of dollars and pricing their stuff worse than what it costs to buy NEW in a regular retail store, that's when I take issue with the pricing.

oh who gives a flying Fuck. if you don't like the pricing, don't buy it. Do you have no concept of how pricing works? You price something at however much you think it will sell for. You get some right and you get some wrong. It's not a goddamn conspiracy or some nefarious plot by goodwill.

The people who work there price it the best they can. They're not exactly up to date on every single item people bring in. They're just trying to see what works. When they price rare GBA games for $1, do you roll your eyes, give them the ass face, and demand to pay more? It's a damn charity for petes sake. What is wrong with you?

You always bring up CEOs making hundreds of thousands of dollars no matter who the retailer is. Why don't you get yourself an education, become CEO and see how much fun that is instead of whining about it all the time.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#133 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

I hope those who are feeling green are buying all their games via digital format since CD/DVD media takes 100+ years to decompose.

Sure thing. Soon as they discount the digital versions of the games to the cheapest price I can buy them at at Target and other places.;)

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#134 DudeImGodly

DudeImGodly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

HEY GUITARS AND STUFF SO AWESOME FREE FROM GAMESTOP.
ONLY KIND OF OFFTOPIC-ish

http://imgur.com/7bDPq

#135 fireworkfan

fireworkfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

people still play the guitar games?

I do and still buying songs like theirs no tomorrow :D
Posted Image

#136 Lordd_G

Lordd_G

90's Gamer 4 Life!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thank goodness this plastic instrument controller fad is officially over!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grouphug: Not only are we cheap gamers, but we're also asses! :grouphug:

#137 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thank goodness this plastic instrument controller fad is officially over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agreed! Now if Nintendo would just stop making pointless plastic peripherals that are good for only one game all would be well. I refuse to buy any game that requires an extra piece of plastic, since I simply do not have the space to store extra stuff.

#138 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I never realized music games were such a burden to so many CAGs.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#139 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

seriously. it's like someone FORCED them to buy them or something and clutter their houses.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#140 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

I did not buy any music games, because reason one, I do not have the space for all the stuff they require. If I were to bring in a rock band drumset here, it would take up the whole space between my TV and the back of the bed here, leaving me no where to sit to actually play the game.

Reason 2, I listen to Japanese music, these games don't have any songs I like and know on them. In order to get the Japanese versions of the games, if they exist that is, I would have to jump through tons of hoops, like importing a Japanese console from Japan and the actual game from Japan as well in order to have it the way I want it. Even if I were to play the US versions, it would just leave me longing for Japanese versions with songs I like on them.

#141 crazedracerguy

crazedracerguy

Clearance Devil!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Dunno. This is my latest controller - I guess I'm a controllerist ;)

Posted Image

Currently Playing:
:360: Rocksmith 2014

:xb1: Titanfall, Madden 15

#142 Ki77a KiD TRe

Ki77a KiD TRe

Crazy Ass Guero

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I was kind of hoping that this thread was going to have stories about dumpster diving at midnight looking for controllers and being questioned by the police. Unfortunately it isn't what I hoped for :(

I've actually been checking around my area the past few days but came up short, not one plastic peripheral in Oscar's neighborhood. I got excited when I came across a box of about 25 PS2 games, but alas... it just ended up being the manuals and cases (which could be recycled). It's also been a bitch trying to find a GameStop that doesn't share dumpster space with some kind of fast food joint.

I did end up finding an original Xbox with AV & AC cables, along with a MadCatz wireless controller. Thoroughly cleaned it up, then fired it up, and it works just fine. Can't figure out why GameStop or an angry customer would just throw away a working system instead of dropping it off at Goodwill or giving it to some friends/relatives.
Gamerscore Anniversary
40,000 - 09/07/09 ----- 50,000 - 03/10/10
54,321 - 05/30/10 ----- 60,000 - 09/16/10
70,000 - 02/28/11 ----- 80,000 - 10/30/11
90,000 - 05/11/12 ---- 100,000 - 12/01/12
110,000 - ??/??/13 ----- 123,456 - ??/??/13

Posted Image

#143 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

This is actually tempting to go check out. I have a GH2 Xplorer that is still going strong, and the Beatles RB controller that came with the deluxe Beatles RB package I won from the Pepsi promotion a few years back, but there is still going to be a time when those wear out and they don't make them anymore. Not sure if I have the guts to go into a Gamestop and ask if they have any guitar controllers they are throwing away though.

Thanks god this terrible genre is dying.

Thank(s) god you're an idiot.

I did not buy any music games, because reason one, I do not have the space for all the stuff they require. If I were to bring in a rock band drumset here, it would take up the whole space between my TV and the back of the bed here, leaving me no where to sit to actually play the game.

Reason 2, I listen to Japanese music, these games don't have any songs I like and know on them. In order to get the Japanese versions of the games, if they exist that is, I would have to jump through tons of hoops, like importing a Japanese console from Japan and the actual game from Japan as well in order to have it the way I want it. Even if I were to play the US versions, it would just leave me longing for Japanese versions with songs I like on them.

...why did you post this? Who cares why you didn't buy them? What does that have to do with this deal? The blog feature is there for a reason.
Posted Image

#144 sharkslope

sharkslope

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Guitar/Rock Band games are awesome because girls love them!

#145 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

I saw this coming. The GH/RB franchises tapped into a huge market of casual players who weren't into traditional controller-based games. It made for a great party game that anyone could pick up and play, so a ton of them were sold, and sequel after sequel was produced. Eventually the novelty wore off, and all of those casual players dumped them. It's similar to what happened with the Wii.

Except that if you really think about it all most of these 'music games' are is a glorified game of Simon. Compare the colored buttons on a RB/GH guitar to the buttons on the old Simon game. Notice any similarities?;) The only difference between Simon and GH/RB is that you have to on occasion hold down the buttons and/or strum the 'guitar' in those games.

Not exactly. Simon is purely a memory game, in that you don't get any preview of what notes are coming. You have to memorize the entire sequence and add a new note each time. Also, GH/RB are more timing-based. Simon doesn't care how far apart you hit the notes, as long as you do it before its internal timer (which you can't see) runs out. Plus with Simon, one mistake ends your game.

To take your argument to the ridiculous extreme: Compare the colors of the ABXY buttons on an XBox controller. They're the same as Simon as well. So are you saying the XBox is just a glorified version of Simon? I mean, all you have to do is press those buttons, often in the right order while having good timing, plus occasionally move an analog stick or two and hit a couple of shoulder buttons and triggers?

#146 sgr76

sgr76

Talk it < Living it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Guitar/Rock Band games are awesome because girls love them!

This!

My kids love em too.

A couple of other good ones are Lips and Singstar
Posted Image

#147 fireworkfan

fireworkfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

I didn't either
Posted Image

#148 S0DA POPINSKI

S0DA POPINSKI

Cagasaurus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

To think I spent like $100 on GH3 lol. Ah well :P

#149 PopCall

PopCall

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

I think for some they were fun while they lasted, but the format got a little stale with little innovation happening. Others just like to hate things people like, can't fix that. It's fine not to like it, but when people type spite, that's sad. Why enter a thread about music game peripherals if you hated the genre so much?

#150 MR_E

MR_E

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

I think for some they were fun while they lasted, but the format got a little stale with little innovation happening.

I thought the introduction of keys, especially pro keys, in RB3 was a great new addition...but it probably didn't really resonate with casual gamers and non-musicians. Being a musician, it was a blast to play the real keyboard parts along to the original studio recordings of songs like "Just Like Heaven" and "Blue Monday"... Not sure how much further they could take it, though. I doubt we'll see "Rock Band 4: Now with maracas, tambourine, and saxophone!"...