List of closing Best Buy stores. Real?

There was another post about this about a few weeks back.

Basically they are closing down some superstores to focus on best buy mobile and what not.

[quote name='WV Matsui']If true, all mine are safe! :)

Josh did you get my pm? You still owe me $$$ from my lowball :)[/QUOTE]

I'll pay you when I get home. Sorry for the delay.

[quote name='Josh5890']I'll pay you when I get home. Sorry for the delay.[/QUOTE]

No worries!

Carry on! :)

Assuming that list is correct, the store in Chesterfield MO is one of the two Magnolia Best Buy stores in the area. Not sure why that one would be closed, for that reason, as well as it's a relatively new store in an area with an affluent local population.

The Ellisville MO is one of the oldest stores in the area and is a bit out of the way from the rest of the other stores. Plus, there's a very newly (2-3 years old) built updated-layout store about 5 miles to the east that's much easier to get to. The Ellisville store being closed down isn't a surprise.

I've been to one of the stores on that list a few times. The one in Tinley Park, IL. Luckily it's 30 miles away and I only stop by when I go to a mall not too far from there. My other 3 locations that are 10~20 miles from me are all safe :)

[quote name='Jodou']Obviously part of the reorg of letting employees go. Now they actually have a chance to adapt and survive under new management.[/QUOTE]

That's true but usually CEO transitions, even during tough times for a company isn't so sudden as to require an "interim CEO." Cashiers walk in and quit their job one day, CEOs plan out an exit and transition to the next CEO. Obviously something was very, very wrong at the top of Best Buy.

The transition to a new CEO will either make or break the company at this point, if they pick the wrong person again, they're as good as done.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I've been to one of the stores on that list a few times. The one in Tinley Park, IL. Luckily it's 30 miles away and I only stop by when I go to a mall not too far from there. My other 3 locations that are 10~20 miles from me are all safe :)[/QUOTE]

That's my local store:cry:

[quote name='Josh5890']That's my local store:cry:[/QUOTE]

Guess you're stuck driving a bit further to Orland Park :whistle2:# Sucks as that Tinley Park one is one of the nicer Best Buys.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Guess you're stuck driving a bit further to Orland Park :whistle2:# Sucks as that Tinley Park one is one of the nicer Best Buys.[/QUOTE]

I more upset about the cook county taxes at Orland than the gas. My hope is for a few clearence hits.

Wow, one store is closing in my whole state and it's one of the two that I normally check out, luckily it's not my favorite one but it still sucks to have less of a selection and it sucks to the folks over there losing their jobs.

[quote name='lude21']WTF, my store is closing!! Noooooo![/QUOTE]
I thought you were kidding. This sucks. But at least now I can take back all of those pre-order deposits for games I never picked up but plunked $5 down on. I actually got to know some of the people at the closest store pretty well and the managers were always really super nice when I came in to PM stuff.

Now the WB store on the other hand shoulda been the one to go cuz the management there was a buncha fuckin' idiots. The only person that I would feel bad for losing their job at that one would be the gaming rep named Tony, but that's since I didn't spend much time in that store beyond the gaming section unlike the closer one.

Heh, they're closing the one I pass on the way to/from work. It's right near Fenway Park and a bunch of colleges and hospitals (not to mention the rich fuckers who can afford to live around there). If they can't get business there, then that's really fucking sad.

One thing I have to wonder though. If this is going to be the official list of store closings, then why isn't it listed on any of the major news sites as of yet and IS on some random website? It just seems kinda fishy that a small website would get this info before places like MSNBC.com, Forbes and so on.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']One thing I have to wonder though. If this is going to be the official list of store closings, then why isn't it listed on any of the major news sites as of yet and IS on some random website? It just seems kinda fishy that a small website would get this info before places like MSNBC.com, Forbes and so on.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I'm not putting a ton of stock in this list but at the same time, I wouldn't be suprised if my store is actually cut. It is a new store that is less than 15 minutes away from a Best Buy that has been around since the dark ages and was always busy. Bottom line is there are people losing their jobs either way.

Yeah. I just hope it's not legit, since I actually enjoy going to my closest store(even without being able to get pennied guides) anymore and I've become so friendly with the employees there.

I posted the link from the OP here on the BB forums, so we'll see what(if anything) the reps there have to say about it.

I'll still have two stores, but one is a much further off(30+ miles) and they're strict as hell on everything just like the other store here that's not on the chopping block list.:roll:

[quote name='devyanks90']Article about Best Buy announcing closures around Minneapolis:http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2012/03/29/best-buy-announces-minnesota-store.html

Number of stores that match between the list and that article: 0

Also found a forbes article mentioning these 5 and a store in San Antonio area (no exact store mentioned), no matching.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why I didn't see any San Antonio stores on there. Not that I'm welcoming it, but we have a ton of Best Buys in the city that are in the middle of nowhere pretty much.

That Columbia Height store in DC was awesome... I think I got like 8 SBD games free in one transaction there. The cashier was like "Shooot. I don't care if it's free. For all I know, you be buying tons of stuff from us, so they be giving you free stuff." it was a little too out there to hit regularly, though.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']I'm glad they're closing down. Best Buy needs to learn a lesson. I hope Wal-Mart is next.[/QUOTE]
At one point in time I would have likely agreed, but having become friendly with so many employees at my closest one I'm sad to see them closing(if that list is legit). Not every BB has bad employees and service, but the ones that did definitely need to be retooled from the ground up.

As for WM, they won't close down until all of their competition is gone. Even then, I don't see them shutting down completely. But they could definitely do with closing some stores too, since they have one for about every 10-20 miles around here.

[quote name='shrike4242']Assuming that list is correct, the store in Chesterfield MO is one of the two Magnolia Best Buy stores in the area. Not sure why that one would be closed, for that reason, as well as it's a relatively new store in an area with an affluent local population.

The Ellisville MO is one of the oldest stores in the area and is a bit out of the way from the rest of the other stores. Plus, there's a very newly (2-3 years old) built updated-layout store about 5 miles to the east that's much easier to get to. The Ellisville store being closed down isn't a surprise.[/QUOTE]

It's possible this whole list is wrong. The one store i go to all the time is a ghost town even though the staff is great. And they're not on the list.

[quote name='Lord Izanagi']I'm glad they're closing down. Best Buy needs to learn a lesson. I hope Wal-Mart is next.[/QUOTE]

What is wrong with you?

[quote name='confoosious']It's possible this whole list is wrong. The one store i go to all the time is a ghost town even though the staff is great. And they're not on the list.[/QUOTE]
Something tells me that even if that list is legit it's NOT the last round of closings we'll be reading about unfortunately.:cry::whistle2:#

I just hope that they at least spin off the gaming section into a seperate entity and continue doing the used games thing. It's been fun getting all of these games for $5-10 after coupons. Not that those sort of sales would keep them in business for long though.:whistle2:#

[quote name='shrike4242']Assuming that list is correct, the store in Chesterfield MO is one of the two Magnolia Best Buy stores in the area. Not sure why that one would be closed, for that reason, as well as it's a relatively new store in an area with an affluent local population.

The Ellisville MO is one of the oldest stores in the area and is a bit out of the way from the rest of the other stores. Plus, there's a very newly (2-3 years old) built updated-layout store about 5 miles to the east that's much easier to get to. The Ellisville store being closed down isn't a surprise.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

[quote name='kube00']Only 2 in the Pacific NW[/QUOTE]
And the one closing in Portland has always treated me poorly. Buh-bye

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's true but usually CEO transitions, even during tough times for a company isn't so sudden as to require an "interim CEO." Cashiers walk in and quit their job one day, CEOs plan out an exit and transition to the next CEO. Obviously something was very, very wrong at the top of Best Buy.

The transition to a new CEO will either make or break the company at this point, if they pick the wrong person again, they're as good as done.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, the CEO resigned due to "personal conduct issues" as opposed to business issues. He was being investigated for these personal issues, and before the investigation was completed, he decided to resign instead.

It's a shame because this guy was someone who actually worked his way through the ranks, as he started as a salesperson at Best Buy in the 80s. Of course that's probably part of the reason he was slow to take action in the face of Amazon and other online stores. He had a loyalty toward the sales floor, as that's where he came from.

If that list is legit (which I hope it isn't), then my local store is closing. I guess no more @gamer deals for me... unless I drive half an hour to the next closest store.

According to one of the gaming reps in my closest store the store is NOT closing and it's just a fake list. They knew completely about the list being distributed online and even the name of the poster who listed it online.

Matter of fact, they pointed out the 4-5 stores in MN closing and the one in San Antonio, TX closing that were NOT on that list.

So as of now until I hear from either someone from the BB forums(where I posted a thread asking the legitimacy of the list) or one of the local store managers regarding whether or not the store(s) are closing I'm gonna say this list is BS.

[quote name='devyanks90']Official list posted by Best Buy corporate this morning: http://pr.bby.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=244152&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1683036&highlight=[/QUOTE]

For the lazy,

Most locations will permanently close by May 12; three additional locations to close by late summer

Casa Grande
1004 N Promenade Pwy
Casa Grande AZ

Lake Pleasant
10134 W Happy Valley Rd
Peoria AZ

East Palo Alto
1751 E Bayshore Rd
East Palo Alto CA

Westwood
10861 Weyburn Ave
Los Angeles CA

Manteca
934 Perimeter Dr
Manteca CA

Moreno Valley East
27220 Eucalyptus
Moreno Valley CA

Ontario
4120 E 4th St
Ontario CA

Pittsburg
4405 Century Blvd
Pittsburg CA

Jamboree
2857 Park Ave
Tustin CA

Arapahoe & Parker
15800 E Briarwood Cir
Aurora CO

The Forum
9370 Dynasty Dr
Fort Myers FL

Oldsmar
11655 W Hillsborough Ave
Tampa FL

Fayetteville
128 Pavilion Pkwy
Fayetteville GA

Loganville
4014 Atlanta Hwy
Loganville GA

Addison
1038 N Rohlwing Rd
Addison IL

87th & Dan Ryan
8900 S Lafayette Ave
Chicago IL

Deerfield
200 S Waukegan Rd
Deerfield IL

Matteson
4707 Lincoln Mall Dr
Matteson IL

Mundelein
1100 N Rt 83
Mundelein IL

West Dundee
979 W Main St
West Dundee IL

Speedway
10500 Parallel Pkwy
Kansas City KS

Back Bay
360 Newbury St
Boston MA

Wareham
2421 Cranberry Hwy
Wareham MA

Inner Harbor
600 E Pratt St
Baltimore MD

Hunt Valley
118 Shawan Rd
Hunt Valley MD

Biddeford
405 Mariner Way
Biddeford ME

*Brooklyn Center
5925 Earle Brown Dr
Brooklyn Center MN

*Edina
3200 Southdale Cir
Edina MN

*Hutchinson
1350 Hwy 15 S
Hutchinson MN

*Lakeville
18350 Orchard Trl
Lakeville MN

Rochester South
4540 Maine Ave Se
Rochester MN

*Rogers
20870 Rogers Dr
Rogers MN

Ellisville
15678 Manchester Rd
Ellisville MO

Monroe
3151 W Highway 74
Monroe NC

Rocky Mount
1100 N Wesleyan Blvd
Rocky Mount NC

Millard
12210 K Plz
Omaha NE

East River Plaza
517 E 117th St
New York NY

Steelyard Commons
3506 Steelyard Dr
Cleveland OH

Salem Mall
5031 Salem Ave
Dayton OH

Caguas
Las Americas Expry PR52 Zafiro
Caguas PR

Middletown
890 W Main Rd
Middletown RI

Hickory Hollow
5255 Hickory Hollow Pkwy
Antioch TN

Techridge
12901 North I-35
Austin TX

Woodlake Parkway
6218 Woodglen
San Antonio TX

Landmark Mall
5901 Stevenson Ave
Alexandria VA

Cosner's Corner
9745 Jefferson Davis Hwy
Fredericksburg VA

East Richmond
4410 S Laburnum Ave
Richmond VA

Mill Plain
16611 Se Mill Plain Blvd
Vancouver WA

* indicates stores notified March 29, 2012 of closure plans

Note: Two stores in Kansas City, MO (Metro North) and Scottsdale, AZ (Shea) permanently closed in February 2012.

So there's ANOTHER Best Buy in Boston? There's the one I pass by near Fenway, and then ANOTHER one a mile away on Newbury St that turns out to be the one closing? Makes sense. Why did they have two so close by in the first place?

[quote name='Scorch']For the lazy,

[/QUOTE]

This is the part that aggravates me the most out of that statement though.

[quote name='BB statement']Three additional locations are expected to permanently close later this summer.[/quote]

So what are the three additional locations?:bomb: I'm just worried my closest store WILL be one of those three stores.:whistle2:#

I got an email today that says my best buy is closing. The store is closed today and will reopen tomorrow with "most items" 20% off. Store will close May 12 or when everything is sold which ever is first.
I guess it's closed today to pull all the stuff they don't want to mark down. This is really going to hurt my deal hunting no one ever went to this store and it was directly across the street from my office.

Ugh, the BB by my work is closing as well. In terms of shopping it's not a horrible problem (there are a TON of Best Buys sort of near me), but in terms of deals it SUCKS -- they were always an easy BB for me to get to (especially with the "OMG! Look at this price screwup!" deals), very friendly, pretty cool about PM'ing or helping out with the more obscure stuff... but it was nearly always empty and I was afraid as soon as they mentioned they were closing stores that it would be one of them.

Very sad today. :( I am sure the "up to 20% off" sales will be a joke; anything good that they don't want to lose money on is already packed up safely in the back... although there might be some CDs/Blurays that become good deals.. who knows. (I bet everything is back up to MSRP then 20% off that and stuff will actually cost more than at a non-closing location)

bread's done
Back