Photo
- - - - -

The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

• Please log in to reply
2280 replies to this topic

#1321 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I think that's what confounds me about Washington's performance: Shanny has a really good rookie RB at his disposal and a knack for run offenses yet gave him next to no carries in crunch and opted to attempt to cripple his already less-than-100% franchise QB.

#1322 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

People questioning Shanhan as a coach now is hilarious. It's a tough call and your Rookie QB is saying if you pull him he'll never forgive you. RGIII still gave Washington the best chance to win.

Be mad at Dan Synder who throws money around like it's a game of Monopoly but has the shittiest field conditions in the NFL.

Also as far as Davis having too many carries etc, it's the NFL. Guys get overworked. They don't have to play if they think they are being abused.

#1323 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

People questioning Shanhan as a coach now is hilarious. It's a tough call and your Rookie QB is saying if you pull him he'll never forgive you. RGIII still gave Washington the best chance to win.

If he is unable to say no to a rookie when leaving said rookie in is clearly hurting the team's chances to win... That seems like a perfectly valid reason to question him as a coach.

I don't see how anybody could watch that game and think RGIII gave them the best chance to win. He was completely ineffective after the 1st quarter.

33126.png

#1324 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I don't have much to say about the Texans-Patriots game other than I hope it's a lot closer than the last game was. I think whoever wins this game is going to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. Thank god it's an afternoon game on Sunday so I can get plenty drunk.

#1325 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I don't have much to say about the Texans-Patriots game other than I hope it's a lot closer than the last game was. I think whoever wins this game is going to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. Thank god it's an afternoon game on Sunday so I can get plenty drunk.

Well, it'd hard for it to be any more one-sided, so I imagine it'll be closer.

I'm surprised about the latter part though, I think Denver would be a big favorite over Houston and a more modest one (but still a favorite) over New England at this point.

33126.png

#1326 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Be mad at Dan Synder who throws money around like it's a game of Monopoly but has the shittiest field conditions in the NFL.

Also as far as Davis having too many carries etc, it's the NFL. Guys get overworked. They don't have to play if they think they are being abused.

I totally disagree - did you see RGIII limping on a run to the left in the second or third quarter? He could barely move!!! Sorry, but that's on the coach to pull him from the game despite what he tells you when the evidence was so overwhelmingly compelling that RGIII was injured.

They scored 14 points on their first 2 possesssions and RGIII gets hurt on the second to last play of the second drive. How many first downs did they get the rest of the way? Did RGIII throw for more than 100 yards in the last 3 quarters? Instead of riding your stud rookie RB Shanny has RGIII throwing it all over the field. Awful coaching. He sucks.

Also, of course guys are going to say "keep me in coach" - look what happened to Alex Smith. It is such a one-sided business. I was worried about the next 10-12 years of RGIII but it looks like I'll be able to ride out a season or two if he even stays healthy enough for that.

EDIT: From SI: "Washington's Griffin-led drives after its first two scores went 8, 3, 23, 4, 17 and minus-12 yards. In 41 minutes after his team went up 14-0, Griffin generated four first downs." Wow.

Edited by Javery, 07 January 2013 - 07:12 PM.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1327 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Well, it'd hard for it to be any more one-sided, so I imagine it'll be closer.

I'm surprised about the latter part though, I think Denver would be a big favorite over Houston and a more modest one (but still a favorite) over New England at this point.

Really? I could see Denver being a favorite over Houston, but not NE. Both the Texans and Patriots beat Denver this year, and that means more to me than whatever perceived momentum that the Broncos have going into the playoffs. Let's not forget Denver still has Baltimore to worry about.

#1328 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Really? I could see Denver being a favorite over Houston, but not NE. Both the Texans and Patriots beat Denver this year, and that means more to me than whatever perceived momentum that the Broncos have going into the playoffs. Let's not forget Denver still has Baltimore to worry about.

In Denver, they'll be a favorite. It would probably be something like 3.5 points (which includes the 3 you always get for being the home team), but still a favorite. It would obviously also depend on how each team looks next weekend.

33126.png

#1329 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

In Denver, they'll be a favorite. It would probably be something like 3.5 points (which includes the 3 you always get for being the home team), but still a favorite. It would obviously also depend on how each team looks next weekend.

Huh, yeah now that I think about it, you're probably right.

#1330 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Yeah but you guys are assuming Cousins comes in and all is well. Again, it's a tough call. But calling the guy out is crazy to me.

But it's a damned if you do damned if you don't thing anyway. He pulls RGIII and Cousins does nothing he gets ripped too.

#1331 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah but you guys are assuming Cousins comes in and all is well. Again, it's a tough call. But calling the guy out is crazy to me.

Nobody's assuming that. But it's fair to say that Cousins couldn't have possibly performed worse than RGIII did, considering that the Redskins didn't score a single point after their first two drives. It's not just hindsight, most of my Skins fans friends were calling for Cousins as early as the 2nd quarter.

It's not like Cousins had never played a down in the NFL. When he filled in for Griffin he showed himself perfectly capable of running the offense.

33126.png

#1332 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Against a team that had lost 10 straight.

Again, I'm just saying it's a very tough call and some people are saying Shanahan can't coach which is just ridiculous

I want to add, people should be questioning Morris' lack of second half carries more than the QB situation.

#1333 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

He couldn't coach for shit yesterday. Messed up QB, kick ass running back, pass, pass, pass.

#1334 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Both before and after yesterday's game I thought Shanahan was a bad coach. When the Redskins hired him I just shrugged unlike when the Cowboys hired Parcells and I thought shit there goes the division.

#1335 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

But it's a damned if you do damned if you don't thing anyway. He pulls RGIII and Cousins does nothing he gets ripped too.

I don't think people would have jumped all over him if he put Cousins in. I mean - they risked RGIII being hurt permanently with keeping him in that game. Considering they sold the house to get him, you have to protect him. All players will tell you they want to play - but as a head coach it's your job to tell them no and sit them on the bench to protect themselves. They also had Morris who could have helped Cousins out a lot of he struggled.

#1336 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Maybe they should have brought in Mike Rizzo to consult, he would have put Griffin on the Strasbourg plan. That went over really well in DC. :lol:

Actually, the most immediate parallel I could think of with the RGIII-Shanahan dynamic yesterday is also from baseball: Grady Little leaving Pedro Martinez in during the 8th inning of the 2003 ALCS vs. the Yankees. Pedro clearly had nothing left (after surrendering 3 straight hits) but basically demanded that Little leave him in and the Yankees tied the game on the next batter. Players play, but coaches need to coach. Sometimes that means pulling a guy who doesn't want to be pulled.

33126.png

#1337 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I agree with bvharris. RG3 brought nothing to the table after the first two series. There were wide open gaps for him to run for first downs, times he should scramble to open things up but he just wasn't able to make the plays on one good leg. Very frustrating.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#1338 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

This is why I said I could have done it 5 years earlier. Elway is in the top 5 all time QBs, IMO, and he didn't win the Super Bowl until he was past his prime and had a running game to lean on. He went to 5 SBs total which I believe only Brady has matched. Can you even name a WR that Elway threw to? Shannon Smith was probably his best receiver but he was a TE. Maybe Rod Smith? At least Brady had Moss for a couple of years.

I hate Shannahan because I think he has no problem grinding guys into the ground - they are a piece of meat to him. Even the great Terrell Davis had his career cut short - almost 400(!) caries in 1998 and then, surprise, career altering/ending injury.

Gotcha..but as a lifelong broncos fans of course I could name Elways receivers.

Davis' injury came on a freak play. (I was at the game so I remember). He was tackling a defender who intercepted Brian Griese. That wasn't on Shanny.

and no way New England would be favored. They haven't been a playoff team on the road all year.

#1339 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Rumors are starting to go around DC that RGIII may miss all of next season. Nothing confirmed yet, but if that's true it should mean Shanahan's job (though it probably won't).

33126.png

#1340 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Davis' injury came on a freak play. (I was at the game so I remember). He was tackling a defender who intercepted Brian Griese. That wasn't on Shanny.

Bah, I do not care for your "facts" - Shanny sucks and it is his fault TD had to retire early.

Rumors are starting to go around DC that RGIII may miss all of next season. Nothing confirmed yet, but if that's true it should mean Shanahan's job (though it probably won't).

WOW. Seriously? That would be unbelievable. Such a shame too (and this coming from a Giants fan). He is such a likeable guy and he is damn good when healthy.

#1341 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Why type of injury would cause him to miss the entire season?

Even if it was an ACL/MCL he could be back in time for the latter half of the year.

#1342 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Even if it was an ACL/MCL he could be back in time for the latter half of the year.

Missingligamentitis.

#1343 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Let's wait until rumors become facts.

I just think it's funny everyone jumped all over Cutler when he took himself out of a playoff game but now are jumping all over Shanahan and lauded all those 'gutsy' Brett Favre performances.

No win situation any way you slice it.

#1344 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

People also said Peterson would miss most of the season. Look how that turned out. Modern medicine is crazy, you can't speculate on this stuff.

Which field did Peterson tear his knee up on again? Oh right, the same one RGIII just got hurt on. I still say people should be more angry at that.

#1345 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Which field did Peterson tear his knee up on again? Oh right, the same one RGIII just got hurt on. I still say people should be more angry at that.

Wow really? People should be talking about that.

#1346 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

MRI shows he has partial tears in his ACL and MCL. So, that's good news since it's nowhere near as bad as AP's injury.

People are just scared about RG3 is all. Considering Washington sports history, most people are thinking the worst, unfortunately.

Edited by KingBroly, 07 January 2013 - 11:20 PM.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1347 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Wow really? People should be talking about that.

AP's knee got hurt because he got hit. RG3 went down yesterday because of the field.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#1348 TheBigAndy

TheBigAndy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

I bought my tickets for Packers - 49ers. Its a 9 hour drive, I am leaving late late friday night. in the two Packers playoff games I have gone to, they are 0-2 and both losses happened in OT (2008 NFC Championship game and Wild Card Game @ Arizona)

#1349 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

BTW, if you're wondering what Shanny Man was thinking Sunday night, it turns out he forgot to read his RG3 User Manual.

#1350 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I bought my tickets for Packers - 49ers. Its a 9 hour drive, I am leaving late late friday night. in the two Packers playoff games I have gone to, they are 0-2 and both losses happened in OT (2008 NFC Championship game and Wild Card Game @ Arizona)

With that track record, thanks for buying a ticket!