The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The latest WTF pick is WR AJ Jenkins from Illinois to San Francisco.[/QUOTE]

Only makes sense because a lack of WRs was the eventual downfall of the Niners. I can only speculate that nothing sensible came about if they thought about shopping the pick around.

The good thing about the Browns' next pick is that they'll have their pick of the tackles (Glenn, Martin, Adams) and receivers (Hill, Randle, Jeffery) that are left, though I'm not really sold on any of the receivers at the moment.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The latest WTF pick is WR AJ Jenkins from Illinois to San Francisco.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly, Trent Baalke had his name written down and sealed in an envelope prior to the draft. This was the guy they wanted all along.

[quote name='pacifickarma']Supposedly, Trent Baalke had his name written down and sealed in an envelope prior to the draft. This was the guy they wanted all along.[/QUOTE]
At least they were committed to reaching. Better that than panicking at the end.

[quote name='Xevious']Browns basically traded 3 bench warmers for a guarentee for Richardson.

If you think about it, its not a horrible trade. Yeah the Vikings are clearly the winner but sometimes you got to do what you have to do.[/QUOTE]
They were pretty much sure that someone, probably TB, was going to trade to get Richardson ahead of the Browns. I don't hate the trade, I just wonder if it was worth trading picks for him if the Vikes were really going to move their spot. Trent should be a day one starter and a spectacular, explosive back and anything to jump start the offense in Cleveland is fine by me.

Weeden is 29, but he's a hell of a quarterback. If he starts in Cleveland soon, I wouldn't be against it but I -really- wish they'd make their mind up at QB. With McCoy, Wallace, and Thaddeus whatshisname on the roster, none of them jump out as a lock to start. Should be a fun summer.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Aldon Smith DE was their 1st round pick last year at 7 and a lot of people looked at it as a headscratcher but he turned out to be great pick just based on his rookie season thus far alone.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']At least they were committed to reaching. Better that than panicking at the end.[/QUOTE]:lol: feels good knowing the Niners got the guy they wanted. Now the real judgement comes from what he does on the field.

[quote name='DT778']:lol: feels good knowing the Niners got the guy they wanted. Now the real judgement comes from what he does on the field.[/QUOTE]

Luckily he has a good group of guys this year to learn from. We'll wait until camp to see if he even breaks the top 3 this year.

I'm not sure what to think of the Bears taking Shea McClellin. I thought we would have taken a OL with the pick instead considering the best guard and second best tackle were still on the board. Hopefully the pick works out alright, I was also kinda hoping we would have taking Chandler Jones if we went DE, just because he has about the same size as peppers after getting a couple of pounds on in the weight room and had a perfect person to try to emulate on the other side, and it doesn't hurt his pedigree is phenomenal.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Luckily he has a good group of guys this year to learn from. We'll wait until camp to see if he even breaks the top 3 this year.[/QUOTE]

Anybody that can give Smith a target will be a help. But with Crabtree, Manningham and Moss on the roster, he'll have to tough it out to see any sort of regular season snaps this year.

The Rams had Jenkins rated almost as high as Blackmon. Baalke and Harbaugh haven't mis-fired on personnel decisions once yet. They let Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin and Nate Clements walk and their defense only got better. Baalke ran the draft in 2010 and got Navarro Bowman in the 2nd round, he only had a better year last year than Patrick Willis. They took Aldon Smith out of nowhere and he only missed the rookie sack record by a half sack playing half the snaps on the season.

I'm perfectly confident in anything they decide to do until they make big mistakes. They haven't even made a small one yet.

[quote name='DestroVega']The Rams had Jenkins rated almost as high as Blackmon. Baalke and Harbaugh haven't mis-fired on personnel decisions once yet. They let Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin and Nate Clements walk and their defense only got better. Baalke ran the draft in 2010 and got Navarro Bowman in the 2nd round, he only had a better year last year than Patrick Willis. They took Aldon Smith out of nowhere and he only missed the rookie sack record by a half sack playing half the snaps on the season.

I'm perfectly confident in anything they decide to do until they make big mistakes. They haven't even made a small one yet.[/QUOTE]
That still doesn't mean that most people wouldn't say WTF at that pick. Like I said before, it's good that they're confident enough to make the pick they wanted.

[quote name='DestroVega']The Rams had Jenkins rated almost as high as Blackmon. Baalke and Harbaugh haven't mis-fired on personnel decisions once yet. They let Manny Lawson, Aubrayo Franklin and Nate Clements walk and their defense only got better. Baalke ran the draft in 2010 and got Navarro Bowman in the 2nd round, he only had a better year last year than Patrick Willis. They took Aldon Smith out of nowhere and he only missed the rookie sack record by a half sack playing half the snaps on the season.

I'm perfectly confident in anything they decide to do until they make big mistakes. They haven't even made a small one yet.[/QUOTE]

Biggest regret I ever had was when we let Garcia walk :cry: I have no idea why they had any faith in Tim Rattay. Garcia had a few more good years, he could have been a lot of help getting Alex ready instead of just throwing him to the wolves :cry:

[quote name='Gannikus']Biggest regret I ever had was when we let Garcia walk :cry: I have no idea why they had any faith in Tim Rattay. Garcia had a few more good years, he could have been a lot of help getting Alex ready instead of just throwing him to the wolves :cry:[/QUOTE]

That's all ancient history. Shouldn't even be in your memory banks.

He wasn't used much for whatever reason. He's #20 in terms of attempts last season behind Matt Forte, so they could have their eyes on a two-back system.

The Rams picked Brian Quick from Appalachian State.

Edit 2: The Colts selected Coby Fleener from Stanford, so Andrew Luck gets to throw to his favorite receiver this season.

Edit 3: Baltimore takes Courtney Upshaw from Alabama.

Edit 4: Denver picks Derek Wolfe from Cincinnati.

Edit 5: Cleveland picked Mitchell Schwartz from Cal.

Edit 6: The Jaguars have selected Andre Branch from Clemson.

Edit 7: The Rams have taken Janoris Jenkins from North Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of this whole 2nd round green room thing. It's slow enough in the first round, so we don't need these picks to take longer than they should.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Why did the Bucs waste a first rounder on Doug Martin when they already have Blount?[/QUOTE]

You do realize most teams utilize two-back systems now.

[quote name='bvharris']It wouldn't be the NFL draft if Bill Belichick didn't draft a guy nobody had ever heard of.[/QUOTE]

One guy had him mocked in Round 8, the other undrafted.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Broncos picked Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler, who will be the mentored by Peyton Manning.[/QUOTE]

As long as Peyton is the Favre to Brock's Rodgers, I assume.

I bet Kirk Cousins isn't the happiest guy to be drafted by the Redskins as a back-up instead of somewhere where he could have a shot at starting at some point.

Listening to the newest press conference with Mike Holmgren and Pat Shurmur, they don't expect to get rid of Colt McCoy, so I'm guessing that either Seneca Wallace or Thaddeus Lewis will be getting the boot at some point since they don't need four QBs to start the season. I wish Tom Heckert and company didn't lie to fans about the plan going forward once they failed to get the #2 pick, as they told fans the plan was to get Colt weapons to give him the best shot possible to succeed. They didn't say that they were looking to draft a QB to compete or take the starting position, so making the Brandon Weeden pick went against everything we were told about what to expect for the draft. He needs to start and be productive early in the realm of an Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, or Joe Flacco and less like Chris Wienke to be worth the pick.

I love the second round pick of Mitchell Schwartz, as he may finally be the answer they've been looking for at RT to give them the most solid offensive line that they've had in years. I'm not a fan of ignoring the WR need until the fourth round, as it basically confirms that Greg Little and Josh Cribbs will be the top two receivers this year unless somebody breaks out. They did a nice job to solidify the defensive line with another DT or two to rotate in when Taylor or Rubin needs a break and I'm hoping either of the LBs they drafted will be the eventual successor to Scott Fujita with some speed to help the defensive line on run defense. They made some good picks, though I'll have to see how everybody plays when that time comes to see if it's a good draft or not.

The NFL announced Wednesday that New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma will be suspended for the entire 2012 season for his role in the team's bounty program.

Defensive end Will Smith will miss four games.

Anthony Hargrove, a former Saints defensive end who signed with the Green Bay Packers in March, was given an eight-game suspension.

Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita was suspended for three games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-statement-text-saints-bounty-161631854--nfl.html

- Scott Fujita (now with the Cleveland Browns) is suspended without pay for the first three games of the 2012 regular season. The record established that Fujita, a linebacker, pledged a significant amount of money to the prohibited pay-for-performance/bounty pool during the 2009 NFL playoffs when he played for the Saints. The pool to which he pledged paid large cash rewards for ''cart-offs'' and ''knockouts,'' plays during which an opposing player was injured.

- Defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove (now with the Green Bay Packers) is suspended without pay for the first eight games of the 2012 regular season. Hargrove actively participated in the program while a member of the Saints. Hargrove submitted a signed declaration to the league that established not only the existence of the program at the Saints, but also that he knew about and participated in it. The evidence showed that Hargrove told at least one player on another team that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre was a target of a large bounty during the NFC championship game in January of 2010. Hargrove also actively obstructed the league's 2010 investigation into the program by being untruthful to investigators.

- Will Smith of the Saints is suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2012 regular season. Smith, a defensive end, assisted Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams in establishing and funding the program during a period in which he was a captain and leader of the defensive unit. Multiple independent sources also confirmed that Smith pledged significant sums to the program pool for ''cart-offs'' and ''knockouts'' of opposing players.

- Linebacker Jonathan Vilma of the Saints is suspended without pay for the 2012 NFL season, effective immediately per league policy for season-long suspensions. The investigation concluded that while a captain of the defensive unit Vilma assisted coach Williams in establishing and funding the program. Multiple independent sources also confirmed that Vilma offered a specific bounty - $10,000 in cash - to any player who knocked Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner out of the 2009 divisional playoff game and later pledged the same amount to anyone who knocked Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2009 NFC championship game the following week (played on January 24, 2010). Vilma is eligible to be reinstated after the Super Bowl in 2013.

Fujita, Hargrove, and Smith may participate in all offseason activity, including preseason games, prior to the suspensions taking effect. Each player disciplined today is entitled to appeal the decision within three days. If an appeal is filed, Commissioner Goodell would hold a hearing at which the player may speak on his behalf and be represented by counsel.

Commissioner Goodell concluded, as he did with the Saints' non-player employees, that it was appropriate to focus on those individuals who had a higher degree of responsibility and whose conduct warranted special attention. While a significant number of players participated in the pay-for-performance program, whether by contributing funds to the pool or collecting cash rewards, the players disciplined participated at a different and more significant level, Commissioner Goodell noted.

''In assessing player discipline,'' Commissioner Goodell said, ''I focused on players who were in leadership positions at the Saints; contributed a particularly large sum of money toward the program; specifically contributed to a bounty on an opposing player; demonstrated a clear intent to participate in a program that potentially injured opposing players; sought rewards for doing so; and/or obstructed the 2010 investigation.''

RIP Seau.

Tainted SB champs Saints get what's coming to them. Seau's passing is just further proof how this game takes such a toll on the human body and mind.

hevei.jpg

damn good player

Dammit. ESPN pointed out that a pretty staggering number of players from the Chargers 1994 SB team have already died. Something like 8. Considering that it was *only* eighteen years ago and the oldest guys were probably in their mid to late 30s, that's ridiculous.

I wonder if he killed himself in the manner he did in order to allow for research on his brain. It wouldn't be surprising if it is mush like the brains of Dave Duerson and Chris Benoit.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I wonder if he killed himself in the manner he did in order to allow for research on his brain. It wouldn't be surprising if it is mush like the brains of Dave Duerson and Chris Benoit.[/QUOTE]

Totally messed up, I can't imagine what he had to be going through to make that decision.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Totally messed up, I can't imagine what he had to be going through to make that decision.[/QUOTE]

Not denying it isn't but the chance of causing a fatal injury through gunshot to ones self seems much lower where he shot himself. There had to be some significance to him killing himself through a chest shot and not a head shot.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Rodney Culver was on that team, right? He died when that plane crashed in the swamp in Florida.[/QUOTE]

Yup. So that was unrelated to football but I can't speak for all the others (or for Seau at this point but concussions do seem to very frequently lead to these kinds of tragedies)

stolen from ESPN

Seau, who played in the NFL for parts of 20 seasons, is the eighth member of San Diego's lone Super Bowl team who has died, all before the age of 45. Lew Bush, Shawn Lee, David Griggs, Rodney Culver, Doug Miller, Curtis Whitley and Chris Mims are the others.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Not denying it isn't but the chance of causing a fatal injury through gunshot to ones self seems much lower where he shot himself. There had to be some significance to him killing himself through a chest shot and not a head shot.[/QUOTE]
Oh, no, I completely agree with you, I was just commenting on the situation as a whole and the decision he made to kill himself like that.

So what about those new Seahawks unis?

I'm guessing when he drove his SUV off of a cliff last year that was his first attempt. I'd also bet that getting hit for 20 years definitely leads to some form of depression and/or brain damage.

[quote name='Javery']So what about those new Seahawks unis?

I'm guessing when he drove his SUV off of a cliff last year that was his first attempt. I'd also bet that getting hit for 20 years definitely leads to some form of depression and/or brain damage.[/QUOTE]

Head trauma effects the brain so much it changes its look in scans. There is definitely a link.

Everyone thought the crash was a suicide attempt, he denied it.

Someone reported he left a note saying he shot his heart to save his brain for research but that's not confirmed.

bread's done
Back