Photo
- - - - -

The NFL 2012-13 Season Thread - Super Bowl XLVII is the Harbaugh Bowl!

• Please log in to reply
2280 replies to this topic

#2221 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

it's only a good non-call if you think suddenly the rules should be thrown out in the last 2 minutes. Why not allow everything then?

I agree.

You need to call it consistently all game. If it was PI in the first quarter it needs to be PI with a minute left.

At least you know ahead of time in the NHL that they are going to let them play in the playoffs (i.e. no penalties unless it is disgustingly blatant) but in the NFL it is like they take time and score into account before throwing the flag.

With that said SF didn't play a complete game and while I wanted them to win and I don't think it's fair to say they didn't deserve to win, however its not fair to say that they lost because of a no call.

#2222 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

They never call offsetting penalties in that kind of situation. It was a good non-call. Not to mention that pass was uncatchable. If Crabtree was unimpeded he would've caught it at best 2 yards outside the end zone.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2223 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, that was a good no call. He was being held, but also shoving off and hand fighting a lot himself.

Very crappy play calling by the 49ers at the end there though. Throwing 3 out of 4 downs on 1st and goal? Should have tried to run it in, and even hope they got stopped a couple of times to not leave to much time on the clock for the Ravens if they scored. Hard to throw it in from the 7 or whatever as there's not much room/time for receivers to get open.

Edited by dmaul1114, 04 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#2224 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

They never call offsetting penalties in that kind of situation. It was a good non-call. Not to mention that pass was uncatchable. If Crabtree was unimpeded he would've caught it at best 2 yards outside the end zone.

The call would have been defensive holding, not pass interference. He could have thrown the ball into the upper deck and it wouldn't have mattered.

#2225 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yes but it's arguable Crabs would have attempted a ”toe tap” catch had he had a chance to get to the sideline in time. He was impeded 2 yards into the endzone when the goal line itself was 5 yards away so he never got that shot.

The refs didnt throw out Williams when the Ravens DB even pushed a referee when he got up from the early scrum and Torry Smith pulled the Niners DB down when he was in position to make an intereception on a Joe Flacco attempted pass. Those cheesed me more since it was more blatent that the refs opted to swallow the whistle. I read somewhere that the SB officiating crew had never worked together during the year. Great idea. Again, I'm upset about the uneven officiating. It wasn't THE reason they lost. The Niners made their fair share of mistakes to lose but to say officiating was balanced is a crock. In the end it adds up and contributes to the total result of a Niner loss.

#2226 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Fuck outta here with all this good no call shit. It was holding and everyone knows it.

#2227 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Doesn't matter if it's uncatchable. That penalty is a hold not a PI so catchable or not means nothing.

#2228 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Doesn't matter if it's uncatchable. That penalty is a hold not a PI so catchable or not means nothing.

Yes it does matter. If a ball is ruled uncatchable, penalties are waved off.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#2229 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Crabs can jump. It would have been a catchable ball.

#2230 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

My guess is that the refs saw it as more of a PI situation instead of holding and since the ball wasn't really catchable, they decided to not call it. However, many of the people blaming the niners loss on that play alone are being ridiculous. Mismanagement of timeouts, poor play-calling and a poor first half contributed to that niners loss.

#2231 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Plenty of mistakes but who wants to take the time to point all of them out. Oh noes, Vernon should have caught that ball in the third, Kaep should have thrown it earlier in that one play in the first quarter, Aldon should have finished that tackle on Ray Rice in the backfield. We all know games are won and lost as a result of the whole game but don't be surprised that the deciding play at the end of the game is getting most of the attention.

#2232 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Fuck outta here with all this good no call shit. It was holding and everyone knows it.

no kidding and this lame, "it was uncatchable" nonsense...we will never know. I've seen some amazing endzone catches.

it's only a good non-call if you wanted to see SF lose...period. Otherwise not calling obvious penalties makes the games seem fixed.

and I 100% think, SF screwed themselves with bad play calling.

#2233 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Nope.

Defensive holding doesn't require that the ball be catchable, or even thrown toward the player being held. It can happen on the other side of the field.

Just like offensive holding is still a penalty even if its far away from the play and had no impact on the play.

#2234 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Remember 2009? That was cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Arguing about blown/missed calls in sports is stupid. It's always gonna happen, and sometimes it's gonna go in favor of the team your rooting for, and sometimes it won't. But focusing in on one call/no call is terribly short sited. If you want to scrutinize every play and every call in football, there's going to be a billion "what-if" scenarios. For example:

You could easily make the argument that the 49ers got away with a hold on 4th down at the end of the game against the Falcons 3 weeks ago. If the refs had made that call, seems very possible that the 49ers wouldn't have even made it so the Super Bowl.

Yeah, that was a good no call. He was being held, but also shoving off and hand fighting a lot himself.

Very crappy play calling by the 49ers at the end there though. Throwing 3 out of 4 downs on 1st and goal? Should have tried to run it in, and even hope they got stopped a couple of times to not leave to much time on the clock for the Ravens if they scored. Hard to throw it in from the 7 or whatever as there's not much room/time for receivers to get open.

When the 49ers let the play clock wind down and had to call a timeout on 3rd down, it looks like they had a QB draw going, which probably would have been the perfect play in that situation.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: Fable Anniversary Review

#2235 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

For those whining about the non call at the end of the game, does anybody remember the non call at the end of the first quarter on 2nd and 13 when Flacco aired the ball out down the right side of the field (I believe it was to Torrey Smith), and he was held be Chris Culliver. Phil Simms even commented that had he not been held, Smith would have caught the ball in stride and scored.

So, like others said, there were calls and non calls for both sides. And even on that last play, there was contact coming from both participants. How do you rule who is "more at fault"? If it's offsetting, it's just going to reset the play anyway...and then the same thing is going to happen when you replay the down. I will say that the Ravens were fortunate to get out of there with a win after the way the team let Flacco down in the 2nd half (fumbles, dropped balls, o-line disappearing, missed tackles), but anybody that thinks the 49ers were cheated out of a win is nuts. They shot themselves in the foot NUMEROUS times (first play of the game, illegal formation wipes out a 20 yard gain, ultimately forcing a 3 and out...defensive holes...timeout management...etc)

Honestly, had it not been for the blackout, I don't know if they even come back in that game. It's a really weird thing to have to consider, but that 40 minute break gave them a chance to calm their emotions and start fresh again. If they came all the way back to win, I almost feel like the game would have been tainted because of it.

#2236 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

The blackout was a waste of time. They just came back from an extended thirty minute halftime.

#2237 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

That's not true. Defensive holding doesn't matter if the ball is a mile up in the air. Pass Interference is different, ball has to be catchable.

I'm a 49ers fan but I don't think they were screwed at all, as n8 said and I agree, they made way too many self-inflicted mistakes.

Was it a penalty? Yes. Can you go crazy about it? No. They had three other chances and called terrible plays and wasted a timeout. Just awful.

I disagree the blackout helped them though. A) they just had a halftime where they came out and gave up a kickoff return so that delay didn't help. And B) they've roared back in the second half in every playoff game.

People can't whine in the end, they blew it. Just cause the refs blew a tight call doesn't excuse it. Ravens played better yesterday.

#2238 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I disagree the blackout helped them though. A) they just had a halftime where they came out and gave up a kickoff return so that delay didn't help. And B) they've roared back in the second half in every playoff game.

Yeah, but the Ravens offense was rolling and the 49ers defense was on the ropes before that. Because of the blackout, those squads didn't see the field for 84 minutes. That is an incredible amount of time to be out of the game. That's like saying in a fight, if you've got somebody completely rocked and out on their feet, that letting them rest for over an hour wouldn't have any effect on things. Obviously, there's no way to prove it, but it's hard not to look at that as a very welcomed "reset button" for the 49ers defense. It was definitely more favorable for the 49ers than it was for the Ravens.

#2239 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yeah, but the Ravens offense was rolling and the 49ers defense was on the ropes before that. Because of the blackout, those squads didn't see the field for 84 minutes. That is an incredible amount of time to be out of the game. That's like saying in a fight, if you've got somebody completely rocked and out on their feet, that letting them rest for over an hour wouldn't have any effect on things. Obviously, there's no way to prove it, but it's hard not to look at that as a very welcomed "reset button" for the 49ers defense. It was definitely more favorable for the 49ers than it was for the Ravens.

You're seriously blaming the blackout for the poor 2nd half performance from the ravens? You do realize both of the teams got some rest right? :roll: the niners have been making 2nd half comebacks throughout the post season
Buying 2.5 Sata HDD and Amazon Gift Cards!
Posted Image

#2240 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

You're seriously blaming the blackout for the poor 2nd half performance from the ravens? You do realize both of the teams got some rest right? :roll: the niners have been making 2nd half comebacks throughout the post season

Do you have no concept of momentum? I'm not BLAMING the blackout for anything. I'm saying that it put a red hot Ravens offense on ice for almost 90 minutes and gave a backpedaling 49ers defense time to regroup and re-energize. Draw your own conclusions.

#2241 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Do you have no concept of momentum? I'm not BLAMING the blackout for anything. I'm saying that it put a red hot Ravens offense on ice for almost 90 minutes and gave a backpedaling 49ers defense time to regroup and re-energize. Draw your own conclusions.

The niners had the ball when the blackout occurred. I'm tired of the BS about denver or whoever had momentum, anything can happen and this years post season proved it. Probably one of the best post seasons in along time :applause:
Posted Image

#2242 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

The niners had the ball when the blackout occurred. I'm tired of the BS about denver or whoever had momentum, anything can happen and this years post season proved it. Probably one of the best post seasons in along time :applause:

Fair enough. If you don't believe in momentum, then we are at an impasse, lol.

#2243 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

This. Seriously whats the Falcons excuse for having all the momentum in the world going into halftime in both games they played, yet ended up in a dogfight. Also after the blackout it was still 3rd and 13 and guess what niners did jack shit with the possession and punted. So what is the Ravens excuse for all of sudden having the ball and forgetting how to attack the secondary that they've been doing all game long.

#2244 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

Sitting around doing nothing for 90 minutes did affect both the Ravens offense and the 49ers defense. The Ravens did not look in rhythm after the blackout and it showed. An article I read had a nice comparison: It is like a heavyweight fight where Boxer A is pummeling Boxer B when the fight is put on hold for an hour. Obviously, Boxer B is going to recover and be able to mount a comeback.

As for Atlanta, that was due more to their extremely vanilla offensive game plan.

#2245 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

This. Seriously whats the Falcons excuse for having all the momentum in the world going into halftime in both games they played, yet ended up in a dogfight. Also after the blackout it was still 3rd and 13 and guess what niners did jack shit with the possession and punted. So what is the Ravens excuse for all of sudden having the ball and forgetting how to attack the secondary that they've been doing all game long.

LMAO...wow. You are so incredibly stupid that you don't even realize that your last few sentences actually supports my point about the 90 minute break cooling them off. You are truly exceptional, renique. I think we've found the missing link, folks. :applause:

Sitting around doing nothing for 90 minutes did affect both the Ravens offense and the 49ers defense. The Ravens did not look in rhythm after the blackout and it showed. An article I read had a nice comparison: It is like a heavyweight fight where Boxer A is pummeling Boxer B when the fight is put on hold for an hour. Obviously, Boxer B is going to recover and be able to mount a comeback.

Wow, was that really in an article? I said the same thing on the last page. That's funny.

#2246 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Ahh typical keyboard warrior talk that wouldn't dare be said in person, always amusing:applause:

in other news, you knew it was coming

#2247 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm a niner fan and it's getting pretty annoying with the whining from BOTH sides. S*** happens and no one will ever know if those officials had money on this game or if they just felt like it was the right call...WHO CARES. What's done is done and I don't get why Ravens fans also have to be whining about "oh they turned of the lights WAHHHH" You guys WON and just swallow your d*** pride, you're not the only team to school us in the the first half and then come back in the 2nd half. Just be classy and be proud of your team and stop b******* about everything.

Over here in the bay, there's the trash talking Raider fans who came out of nowhere who have nothing better to do and STILL being their usual classless idiot selves

*excuse my grammar, 3.5 hours of sleep =p

Edited by Gannikus, 05 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

Posted Image

#2248 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

Awesome

I might have to be a closet Gronk fan now because it is pretty clear that he is a closet gay (not that there is anything wrong with that)

#2249 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Awesome

I might have to be a closet Gronk fan now because it is pretty clear that he is a closet gay (not that there is anything wrong with that)

It's a good thing he isn't one of those colored persons, otherwise you would have had to start your post with "I'm not a racist, but..."

"a closet gay" for Fuck's suck, this is 2013. What the hell does someone's sexual orientation have to do with whether you're an "open" or "closet" fan of someone?

#2250 GBAstar

GBAstar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

It's a good thing he isn't one of those colored persons, otherwise you would have had to start your post with "I'm not a racist, but..."

"a closet gay" for Fuck's suck, this is 2013. What the hell does someone's sexual orientation have to do with whether you're an "open" or "closet" fan of someone?

Well let's race bait in the NFL thread.... bravo.

I was trying to bring some humor in here amongst all the "blackout" "momentum" and "Ray Lewis" banter.

Thank you for ending it one post later.