• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Rabble rabble rabble!

#2642 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Can you backup their stuff without installing it? One of the reasons I have been wary of GG is that you need to be on line to activate an installation (as far as I can tell, I most buy steamable games there). I would love to be wrong about this.

I think that all of the installers do have to contact their servers, yes. To be honest, I've never tried downloading one of their installers and then running it while being completely offline.

steam_sig.png

#2643 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

OK................

I was able to get one of the Borderlands 2 packs and gifted one myself to the account before it went down.

I downloaded the game yesterday but it prompted me for the serial, which I did not have. My game is still seating on the shelf, but I now see a "Show Serial Key" tab, which was not there yesterday.

I get the same message everyone is getting. weird.

Don't bother downloading it as the game is Steamworks anyways.

The message as they addressed it what the system does when there are no keys left to be handed out. The fact that its now showing the "Show Serial Key" is a good sign tho.

walkonshadows - accurate sentiment

76561198003417354.png

Steam: kagegao | XBL: MC Kage | The BackLoggery

WTB: - Xbox 360 S/E (with 250GB HDD or more) for Cheap

-GoW3, Halo 4, Halo Wars, GTA V, BF4

#2644 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Can you backup their stuff without installing it? One of the reasons I have been wary of GG is that you need to be on line to activate an installation (as far as I can tell, I most buy steamable games there). I would love to be wrong about this.

Oh jeeze, I don't even know. I had just assumed that I could just download installers for each game.

If I need to contact the site to install/activate those games, I can pretty much kiss all of those games goodbye.

#2645 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Rabble rabble rabble!

What are you, the Hamburglar?

#2646 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Instead of them revoking used keys, isn't it possible they are negotiating with the publisher for a better rate to help absorb some of the cost? The fact that they say they are "working with the publisher to see what they can do" doesn't necessarily mean that they are revoking anyone's revealed keys.

I understand the mistrust, but we may be putting the cart before the horse here.

76561197971332172.png

#2647 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

What are you, the Hamburglar?

No, he says robble robble robble!

#2648 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Instead of them revoking used keys, isn't it possible they are negotiating with the publisher for a better rate to help absorb some of the cost? The fact that they say they are "working with the publisher to see what they can do" doesn't necessarily mean that they are revoking anyone's revealed keys.

I understand the mistrust, but we may be putting the cart before the horse here.

Okay so ask them to clarify their deliberately vaguely worded statement. And good luck getting a response.

Plus what you are saying basically amounts to 'So, uh, Bethesda, we kind of screwed up on our pricing and want you to give us money back/cut us a deal'.

You can imagine what their reaction might be...

steam_sig.png

#2649 El Vader

El Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

For the people who is saying that "If you activated keys is a complete transaction and is safe".

I got the Beth pack, activated all of the keys exept for 2 -> Fallout 3 and Rage.
Still I got the email, and the full refund.

And still my pack is in my library, showing the "unused serials", and the infamous button : show serial.
And the games in my steam account are working fine.
So, i dont know what the Fuck is going on or what the Fuck they are planning.
Maybe they fucked up the refunds? and refund for EVERYONE?.

Fun fact : I gifted the pack to myself.. so, maybe when you gifted they dont know wtf is?

#2650 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Procedure to decrypt and backup GamersGate Game Setup Files:

The installer contact's their servers to unencrypt the installer setup.exe file. I already have all of my GamersGate installers backed up using the following procedure (and you should do it too for any games your worried about losing access to). Which basically removes the need for the installer to contact GamersGate at all, making it a normal unencrypted game installer, taking GamersGate completely out of the equation. You are only backing up the installer files, not installing the game. So this directly answers the question by the poster above.

1. Download installer to an empty directory (preferably already named for the game you are downloading).

2. It should launch into the games setup after downloading. Do not close it, but don't start installing either.

3. Navigate to folder where downloader was stored.

4. You will see the downloader file, and a folder with a random number like "435678", that is the folder where the setup files are stored and currently unencrypted (because the installer is open).

5. Copy all of the contents of the random number folder: example "435678" to the root game folder (where you downloaded the original single .exe file to start downloading the game installation files).

6. After that copy is complete, close the game's setup. It will ask to delete or keep the games setup files, select delete (this will delete the random number folder. Now delete the .exe file (always named for the game your downloading) that downloads the setup files and your done.

7. Done. Some games did come with a serial that will be present of the game's page on your "digital shelf" (look on the right just below the game's profile/avatar pic). Be sure to copy it to a text file in the root game installer folder.

If I didn't explain this well, here's another guide (on GOG of all places):

http://www.gog.com/f..._launch_f/post1

Edited by walkonshadows, 28 December 2012 - 10:58 PM.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#2651 DaiMonPaul

DaiMonPaul

On the Fringe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yes you can! You need to be able to log into your account to download the files, though, so I would suggest doing so as soon as possible. Once you have downloaded the files, you need to click "install" but DO NOT ACTUALLY INSTALL THE GAME -- merely leave the installer active. This will de-encrypt the setup file and keep it de-encrypted (once you install the game, it re-encrypts the setup file and renames it to something like "launcher"). All you have to do now is copy the entire downloaded folder to a new directory (i.e. on an external hard drive) and voila! Instant backup for your install files with no need to log into anything. I've done this with about 30 games that I've downloaded through GamersGate and have never had an issue with it.

EDIT: Ah, Walkonshadows beat me to it.

#2652 Roguestriker

Roguestriker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

I gifted it to myself and still see it in my all games list.

Problem is I wasn't able to get any of the keys and I did get refunded.

All-in-all I'm probably never going to shop at Gamersgate again.
Posted Image

#2653 akmgmer

akmgmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Well so far, I still have the Bethesda Pack in my games list. I only was able to obtain 3 of the Steam keys (Skyrim, Oblivion, and FONV) the morning after the carnage and the remaining ones were gone. I have not received a refund or email from them since the order confirmation email. I did not have to gift this pack to myself.

Not really expecting the remaining keys at this point but it will be interesting to see how this turns out. I will definitely want some sort of refund if they don't send the remaining ones but we'll see.

76561197977258746.pngAddFriend.png 

Spoiler

#2654 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

So, what kinda of drama did I miss for today only? ;)

#2655 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

I asked previously, but never saw an answer. Anyone use Moneybookers during any of these pricing fiasco and actually receive a refund? I don't mind them pulling my games - understand completely about that. But if they're going to make me wait for weeks, or actually force me to work to get my refund back as well, then I'm going to be pissed.

#2656 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

So, what kinda of drama did I miss for today only? ;)

50c skyram
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#2657 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

As I said, I'm not so sure it's a matter of negotiating a lower cost, I think it's more negotiating to allow sales to go through at these prices at all. I doubt their agreements with publishers allow complete carte blanche on pricing.

#2658 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

:applause:

Bravo, sir, bravo.

#2659 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

50c skyram

thanks for skyram

#2660 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Spoiler

Thanks for posting that clearly!

That works. I've done it many times before. I would note that in my limited experience with DRM-FREE downloads the GG Downloader doesn't encrypt the setup.exe. This was at least my experience with the D&D Anthology back in Feb.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#2661 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

50c skyram

LOL.
Now, can I get a serious answer...?

#2662 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

LOL.
Now, can I get a serious answer...?

- Dead Island GOTY went from $4.99 to $9.99
- GamersGate posted some mea cupla saying they're talking to publishers and would have some sort of answer about the partially claimed Bethesda/BL2 packs next week

That's about it.

#2663 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

- Dead Island GOTY went from $4.99 to $9.99
- GamersGate posted some mea cupla saying they're talking to publishers and would have some sort of answer about the partially claimed Bethesda/BL2 packs next week

That's about it.

Thanks, man. :D

#2664 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

So, how can they still be selling games that have no keys on the Beth pack individually, if they have NO KEYS?!

#2665 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Just to spite you.

#2666 MrBonk

MrBonk

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Of course. And as always, it is partially funny.

#2667 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

So, how can they still be selling games that have no keys on the Beth pack individually, if they have NO KEYS?!

Because it isn't the same inventory? Because their ability to provide keys isn't just based on having them in stock, but in being allowed to by their agreements with publishers?

#2668 rslater

rslater

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for posting that guide, walkonshadows.

#2669 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

Spoiler

Yes you can!

Spoiler

Thanks guys. This will help a lot. :)

I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight. :\

#2670 Bort_

Bort_

Aw, c'mon! Bort?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

Either their whole system is automated and indeed they can't help me or they don't want to deal with the Bethesda pack stuff anymore.

The ticket I sent December 22

Spoiler

This is the response I got today

Spoiler

And they closed the ticket, at this point I'm not sure about what should I do since my order is still marked as Complete/Paid and I was able to retrieve all my keys.