Photo
- - - - -

Final Fantasy XI - I won't grind quietly into that good night.

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#31 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

The Amano artwork:

Posted Image

:drool:

#32 chronojin

chronojin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Very tempted to play again after seeing all this

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"

Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I need to buy the soundtracks to FFXI. I find myself just listening to all the music on youtube a lot lately. I kind of just want to play again just so I can listen to all the music and hang in Sandy and annoy myself with that over and over like I used to. Gah... I'm really tempted to go back now, even if just for a month.

I bought the original OST and Rise of Zilart off of Ebay, I want the rest of the expansions' music as well.

#34 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Wow they're actually coming out with a 5th expansion in 2013:

Posted Image

Looks like there's 2 new jobs, one of which is Geomancer:

Posted Image

Holy crap another one?! I played at launch on PS2 for at least 4 years and then stopped and bought it on Steam last year and played for a few months. I might go back for this expansion. I still wish that S-E would have made FFXIV an HD cleaned up version of FFXI.

#35 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Glad they are still supporting this game. Now just make it free to play and I'll buy it!

I need a new signature.

#36 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

Looks like the second job is Mystic Knight like I thought but it'll be called Rune Fencer in English.

Posted Image

- Their exceptional magic defense and elemental resistance put them squarely in the tank category, along with paladins and ninjas.
- Two broad categories round out their runic arsenal:
- Element-based runes add elemental damage to attacks and increase resistance to certain elements.
- Enchantment-based runes increase either the fencer's attacking prowess or their ability to defend.
- Rune fencers will possess versatile abilities like one that cuts the duration of the next enhancing magic spell cast on them by half, but in turn amplifies the spell's effect 1.5 times, and another that erects a barrier that reduces magic damage.

Edited by roymustang, 24 June 2012 - 07:26 AM.

ostzsk.jpg

#37 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

Looks like the second job is Mystic Knight like I thought but it'll be called Rune Fencer in English.

If it is, I'm definitely going back just for that job.

#38 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

One of the coolest things they announced about the expansion is that every player will get his/her own personal island. You be able to fish there, raise animals, grow crops and just chill and make it your own.

ostzsk.jpg

#39 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Awwww man, and I didn't wanna go back and spend money. :(

#40 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

I have a quick question that someone may be ale to answer. I am wondering if it would be better to start playing Final Fantasy XI or XIV? I will say I am not a big MMO person but am a huge Final Fantasy fan and would love to try one of the games, but I do not know which would be best. I have heard that XI is supposed to be better than XIV and I am leaning more towards starting to play XI.

If any one can give some advice I would appreciate it.
c230fb8bbd924924db8824b92aa424e3_0cdf051<---FFXIVARR Character Lodestone
549917_4220482276976_99161570_n.jpg<---Trade Listclonesniper6.png

#41 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

I remember trying this when it came out on 360, I love the designs of stuff and all of the areas where nice, but I just couldn't get into the gameplay which is a shame since I really like the Final Fantasy Universe. I played it with one of my friends and he felt the same way, if I remember correctly it was the way that quests were set up which we really didn't like. I keep trying a bunch of new MMOs (both f2p and p2p) and usually just end up playing EQ2 the most still, but if this ever were to go f2p I would most likely give it another shot.

659629.png?68329996

#42 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have a quick question that someone may be ale to answer. I am wondering if it would be better to start playing Final Fantasy XI or XIV? I will say I am not a big MMO person but am a huge Final Fantasy fan and would love to try one of the games, but I do not know which would be best. I have heard that XI is supposed to be better than XIV and I am leaning more towards starting to play XI.

If any one can give some advice I would appreciate it.

If ten year old graphics don't bother you too much then definitely go with FFXI. It's just has an insane amount of quality content whether it be story missions, side-quests, endgame activities or mini-games. FFXI also has the advantage of really feeling like an old school FF game, the atmosphere just reminds me of the one in the SNES games. It also probably has the best soundtrack of any FF game.

I would've said that it was pretty hardcore and unforgiving a few years back but they made it quite a bite easier and more accessible as of late. Where it took months to get a job to max level you could probably do it in days now.

One area where the game hasn't improved at all over the years though is user friendliness, particularly for new players. When you start a new game they just plop you in the game world and that's it. A lot of new players get very frustrated with that initial lack of direction. Having somebody that knows the game help you out in the beginning is definitely a big plus. Even without this you can still get by thanks to sites like FFXIclopedia.

One final note is that the game must be played with a controller. It was designed to be played that way. A lot of veteran PC and MMO players get put off by this because they like the keyboard and mouse setup and clicking madly on their little icons and that's not the way FFXI works. But if you're a big FF fan I'm sure you played the console games so you shouldn't have too much of an aversion to using a controller.

And really the graphics have aged rather well:

ostzsk.jpg

#43 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

One final note is that the game must be played with a controller. It was designed to be played that way.

What kind of BS is this? =/

#44 red flare graf

red flare graf

Metalwrath

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

I was thinking the same thing.. It plays perfectly with a keyboard, not sure what he's smoking.

#45 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

if you try to use a keyboard without looking up the controls you will want to punch your monitor. the controls were one of the big things that made me quit after one day.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 clonesniper666

clonesniper666

Final Fantasy Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the help help guys I decided to at least try out FFXI since Gamersgate had it for $10 this week. Honestly I will prbably try the game with a controller and the keyboard at some point to see which that I prefer, since I am honestly mostly a console gamer.
c230fb8bbd924924db8824b92aa424e3_0cdf051<---FFXIVARR Character Lodestone
549917_4220482276976_99161570_n.jpg<---Trade Listclonesniper6.png

#47 red flare graf

red flare graf

Metalwrath

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

if you try to use a keyboard without looking up the controls you will want to punch your monitor. the controls were one of the big things that made me quit after one day.

Been a while since I played, but it was the basic WSAD and number keys for skills here.

#48 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:23 AM

It's the general consensus that the keyboard controls are not good. They were somewhat tacked onto the PC version. Remember this game was designed for the PS2. Unlike in the West, in Japan, where the game's initial launch took place, it launched on PS2 first, the PC version came later.

I don't know of any serious players that didn't use a controller. I, for one, would certainly not want to tank any serious enemy on Ninja using the keyboard. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the controller is so much better suited for the game's interface.

Edited by roymustang, 26 June 2012 - 02:46 AM.

ostzsk.jpg

#49 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

If ten year old graphics don't bother you too much then definitely go with FFXI. It's just has an insane amount of quality content whether it be story missions, side-quests, endgame activities or mini-games. FFXI also has the advantage of really feeling like an old school FF game, the atmosphere just reminds me of the one in the SNES games. It also probably has the best soundtrack of any FF game.

I would've said that it was pretty hardcore and unforgiving a few years back but they made it quite a bite easier and more accessible.

Agreed completely, I especially think it has the best OSTs out of ANY FF game. FFXIV may be good by the end of the year, but atm, it certainly isn't worth paying a sub for. While FFXI gave me so many memories from its awesome lore and world.

#50 wckddudeman

wckddudeman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

So... After reading up on the new expansion I texted a friend of mine with his 75 white mage. Told him about the new expansion.

Then proceeded to go home, rebuy the game(god knows i cant find remember my original info, only made it 3 weeks into the game back then). And proceeded to fight my way through the playonline hurdles and get the client installed. Can't wait to go home and play tonight.

My only question is how do I set background resolution any higher than 1024x1024(max resolution on monitor is 1920x1200), back in the day I was using the resolution mod, but would prefer not to have to deal with anything like that this time.

Blue mage here I come.
Posted Image

#51 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

So... After reading up on the new expansion I texted a friend of mine with his 75 white mage. Told him about the new expansion.

Then proceeded to go home, rebuy the game(god knows i cant find remember my original info, only made it 3 weeks into the game back then). And proceeded to fight my way through the playonline hurdles and get the client installed. Can't wait to go home and play tonight.

My only question is how do I set background resolution any higher than 1024x1024(max resolution on monitor is 1920x1200), back in the day I was using the resolution mod, but would prefer not to have to deal with anything like that this time.

Blue mage here I come.

Note that Background resolution is different from the main resolution. Both can be changed in FFXIConfig. Just set your main resolution to 1920x1200 and the background resolution to 2048x2048 for best results.

You'll love Blue Mage, it was my favorite job. Though Black Mage, Ninja and Dragoon weren't too far behind.

I'm going to reactivate my account next week, probably Monday. I'm on the Ragnarok server. I'll be happy to help out any players that make a new account on that server.

ostzsk.jpg

#52 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Ugh, I might have to hop back on. lol

#53 jousley

jousley

10yr Member of CAG!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

I am Ryoka on Sylph server

Played a LOT for about 7 years, but the last two years I have been very very limited on it....haven't logged on in over a year now actually....still keep my account open though. Just can't pull the trigger to stop it... Had lots of great times on there.

#54 jer7583

jer7583

only 5 can ladder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

Played through the first opening story mission, then wondered why i was playing this. New areas were (obviously) deserted, so it felt like a really huge, really uneventful single player game.

TRASH PANIC iLdJv6N.png TRASH PANIC

#55 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Question, is Dancer still a good sub-job for melee classes?

#56 wckddudeman

wckddudeman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

created on ragnarok, good nostalgia trip, server said approx 1000 people online i saw probably 25-30 which definately isnt bad for the age of the game... Hopefully I can meet people and get some groups going.

Good news is made it to level 6 and 19 sword/evasion in less time than it took me last time I played, need that beret to be added to my account >.<
Posted Image

#57 DemonKysho

DemonKysho

If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

If people couldn't restore their character, starting over or if your new. Feel free to join me on my server, Bismark.

Victory is not about winning battles, its about how long it takes for the person beating you to give up.

Let me induce some Audio/Visual Hallucinations.
Oh look those thought bubbles are back, hello yellow box word friends.
ach.png

#58 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Question, is Dancer still a good sub-job for melee classes?

I quit when the level cap was 90 and with the level cap increase from 75 it was even better than before, a lot better even. With the cap at 90 you could sub lv45 Dancer which gave you access to Curing Waltz III, Haste Samba and Violent Flourish (a Stun move).

as 90NIN/45DNC I felt almost invincible, I soloed many Abyssea NMs, I also went to Sky and soloed Genbu relatively easily, just took a while because of its high HP, like 20 minutes.

I imagine as 99NIN/49DNC I'll feel even stronger with 9 extra levels worth of Evasion Skill.

Also, now that BLU and THF have native Dual Wield, BLU/DNC and THF/DNC have their use when dealing with enemies that heavily use attacks that go through Utsusemi shadows or when facing weaker enemies so you don't waste shihei. Shihei have gone up to 70k Gil for a stack of 12 toolbags.

ostzsk.jpg

#59 Boss★Moogle

Boss★Moogle

てぃもの魂の伴侶

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

created on ragnarok, good nostalgia trip, server said approx 1000 people online i saw probably 25-30 which definately isnt bad for the age of the game... Hopefully I can meet people and get some groups going.

Good news is made it to level 6 and 19 sword/evasion in less time than it took me last time I played, need that beret to be added to my account >.<

PM me with your character name if you want some help, I'll be on starting next Monday (7/2).

ostzsk.jpg

#60 thefinal87

thefinal87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Ughhhhh, I hate it when the economy fluctuates so damn much in this game lol. I still need to unlock BLU, when I originally played, I loved the job, very very fun, especially mixed with BLM.