Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

• Please log in to reply
902 replies to this topic

#181 rjejr

rjejr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the link, very very tempted today. I'm considering replacing either my 19" PC monitor (Radeon card so I'm ok) or bedroom tv so I'll have a use for it either way.

#182 Mugatu

Mugatu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Do you think it would be possible to price match at BB?

Somebody earlier in the thread already did it before the sale even started but he said he has a good relationship with his store so that might be a special case. Might as well try it.

#183 Twizz

Twizz

An Eff'n Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

This should help for those asking about a BB price match.

What is considered a local retail competitor?

A local retail competitor for retail store purchases is a retail store located in the same market area (within a 25 mile radius) of your local Best Buy store. A local retail competitor for BestBuy.com purchases is a retail store located in the same market area (within a 25 mile radius) as either the billing address or the shipping address on record for the purchase.

http://www.bestbuy.c...cat204400050011

I would print that and snag it at BB. The link is posted from my mobile so hopefully it's clickable.

#184 anthonyd46

anthonyd46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

This is not a TV, but rather a display- meaning that it does not have a built in TV tuner or remote control. You probably already knew this, but others viewing this thread may not.

Also, for those thinking about using this as 3d monitor for your PC, if you have an nvidia graphic card 3d is not supported.

LAstly, here is a lengthy thread from the playstation forums about problems with the display.

http://community.us....tart=0&tstart=0

the trailer says you can hook up your cable tv box to it. So long as you have some kind of cable box and use your cable remote doesn't it double as a tv then?

#185 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

From reading all the posts from months ago regarding this display and the issues it has, it's pretty clear why it went to $199. Some things are just better left alone. Unless you just enjoy the aggravation.

#186 ephermal

ephermal

The Dragonmaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

called up best buy and price matched it!!! hell yeah!! used reward zone points and gift cards making this close to free

#187 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

I want this display but the reviews are holding me back. $199 is probably the right price point for this though. Not sure if I should bite.

#188 ephermal

ephermal

The Dragonmaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

I want this display but the reviews are holding me back. $199 is probably the right price point for this though. Not sure if I should bite.

that's why i got it from best buy; I got a 30 day return policy so I am planning on running it for as long as possible to test it.

#189 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Eurogamer actually seemed rather pleased with it.

#190 Rasen

Rasen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Just wanted to add that at $199, it is just the Motorstorm + 1 pair of glasses. I stopped by a Gamestop and saw the memo they sent out to their stores. It went something like:

"Drop the price to $199. We are stopping the promotion of $299 and get MLB and an extra pair of glasses. Get rid of any ads or banners advertising it."

I did decide to get one anyone, because the reviews that complain about defects also seem to agree that sending it back to Sony for repairs solved all problems. So I figure I just leave it on for 30 days or something.

#191 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Wow, lots of reports of failures on this thing. I was very tempted by the GameStop price point, but I already have far superior displays at home, so this thing would just sit around as a novelty 3D display; and if there's a high chance of it crapping out, then I feel like spending my money on the product would be giving the "okay" to Sony for making a junky display. Same reason I never bought a 360.

#192 Rsnuffdog

Rsnuffdog

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Best Buy has it for the same price. I went there about an 1hr ago to price match it but it rang up for 199.99 but had it mark on 249.99. Can't wait to try to it.

#193 kitsunisan

kitsunisan

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Wow, lots of reports of failures on this thing. I was very tempted by the GameStop price point, but I already have far superior displays at home, so this thing would just sit around as a novelty 3D display; and if there's a high chance of it crapping out, then I feel like spending my money on the product would be giving the "okay" to Sony for making a junky display. Same reason I never bought a 360.

Read the post right above yours. Problem has been with a faulty power unit, I believe. Sony provides a 1 year warranty on it, sending it in to them has been resolving the issues. I know, it's a pain to go through, but it's not as if every single unit has issues. For what you get for the price, I'll risk a bit of inconvenience.

#194 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yup, it's on BB's website too so it should be good at all stores.

http://www.bestbuy.c...on 3d&cp=1&lp=6

I'm really considering getting it now

#195 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Looks like it's $199 at Best Buy too.

If I had a PS3 or any games that utilized 3D I'd probably check it out.

#196 nightmare452

nightmare452

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Yup, it's on BB's website too so it should be good at all stores.

http://www.bestbuy.c...on 3d&cp=1&lp=6

I'm really considering getting it now

Wow, I'm definitely getting this now. I can use the 3x reward points card I got, plus I got the money on gift card from the trade ins I've done in the past few weeks. Gotta tell my wife, so she doesn't get mad at me (yes, this has to be done, keep her happy, and happy wife = gaming time later). :O

Edit: cant use that 3x points coupon if I pay by gift card. No biggy.

Now playing: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (XB1), Dark Souls (PC), Starcraft 2 (PC), Infamous: Second Son (PS4), Dead Rising 3 (XB1), Rouge Legacy (PSV).

#197 Rsnuffdog

Rsnuffdog

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

I paid 0.00 since i had 275.00 in RZ Points. YAY me!!

#198 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

i'm still on the fence. wish Amazon price matched so i don't want to pay taxes and shipping.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#199 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

I hope everyone in this thread is submitting the lower price to Amazon.

#200 IzzyF3

IzzyF3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Got it at best buy with a 2 year protection plan for an extra $30. I usually hate spending extra and this is the 1st time I've ever bought insurance for an electronic, but for a bit of peace of mind, it should be worth it.

#201 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

With about $70 in BB credit this is definitely tempting, ah decisions decisions. Just having a hard time because I don't exactly "need" a new PC monitor as mine works fine. It's only 19" but it does the job. I'm drawn to this for the PSP scaling feature....but even still I feel like I can live without it lol. Then again 2 monitors for my PC might be nice :)

#202 Marauder7

Marauder7

FF14 Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

If I didn't purchase my 21" monitor last year I would be tempted to purchase this with my credits from my trade ins.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#203 fantomgamer

fantomgamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Just picked one up at BB - Rung up 199.99. Also got 2 year warranty for 19.99, not 29.99 like on the website. Not bad!!!

#204 D.Choy

D.Choy

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

I've had the monitor since launch and I can vouch for how good of a monitor it is. It has 2 HDMI ports, 1 component port, and 1 headphone jack. The 3d works both with ps3 and 360 as long as you have the proper hdmi cable (it comes with a pretty good one in the box).

I recommend picking up the Sony ps3 remote (the newer one) which works well with the monitor so you don't have to fuss with the side buttons. The controller works well for turning on the monitor, changing settings, flipping between 3d, and monitoring the volume. The controller can also be paired with your ps3 which makes it really relevant.

With all that said, the picture is great. Colors are vibrant, the picture is sharp, the response rate is good and games / media look top notch. It also doubles as a extended monitor for your PC for those of you that already have one monitor. I especially prefer monitors like these for shooters because I can easily spot enemies when compared to playing on a big screen. Smaller screens like these tend to be clearer and have a better picture as well.

The only issue I would note is that when I originally got the monitor from GameStop, my original display had 10+ stuck pixels (pure white) and I had to take it back for a different monitor. I don't know if I just got a bad monitor or if these monitors are known to have certain issues. I've also heard of dust under the glass. Mine does have 1 or 2 specs of dust near the bottom and top but are quite unnoticeable when sitting from far away or a video is playing. I would have to lean in close just to point out the dust. Other than that I haven't had any issues since.

#205 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

I've had the monitor since launch and I can vouch for how good of a monitor it is. It has 2 HDMI ports, 1 component port, and 1 headphone jack. The 3d works both with ps3 and 360 as long as you have the proper hdmi cable (it comes with a pretty good one in the box).

I recommend picking up the Sony ps3 remote (the newer one) which works well with the monitor so you don't have to fuss with the side buttons. The controller works well for turning on the monitor, changing settings, flipping between 3d, and monitoring the volume. The controller can also be paired with your ps3 which makes it really relevant.

With all that said, the picture is great. Colors are vibrant, the picture is sharp, the response rate is good and games / media look top notch. It also doubles as a extended monitor for your PC for those of you that already have one monitor. I especially prefer monitors like these for shooters because I can easily spot enemies when compared to playing on a big screen. Smaller screens like these tend to be clearer and have a better picture as well.

The only issue I would note is that when I originally got the monitor from GameStop, my original display had 10+ stuck pixels (pure white) and I had to take it back for a different monitor. I don't know if I just got a bad monitor or if these monitors are known to have certain issues. I've also heard of dust under the glass. Mine does have 1 or 2 specs of dust near the bottom and top but are quite unnoticeable when sitting from far away or a video is playing. I would have to lean in close just to point out the dust. Other than that I haven't had any issues since.

Thanks for the review! Sounds pretty good. An extra warranty at BB for the extra $20 might not be bad either. Thanks for the info everyone.

#206 jedex

jedex

Elite Chemist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Picked one up, hopefully it doesn't crap out. Good thing I got the warranty.

#207 Untamed Sorrow

Untamed Sorrow

The Maple Kind ??

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

MotorStorm trades in for $19.60 after current 30% promo towards used games or select preorders

#208 Abear21

Abear21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

I might have to go get this, definitely getting the warranty though!!

She might get mad, but if I have to sit through another episode of The Real Housewives I mine as well chop my balls off and shoot myself, this way I can be home all the time and not have to stay up until 4am to get my gaming in. Seriously, I have to watch WAY too much Bravo. BB here I come!

#209 snowmint

snowmint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

So getting this at BBY is better for the reward points and extended warrenty correct? Is there any difference in getting the 4 year warrenty vs the 2 year warrenty? Wouldn't you want the 4 year warrenty instead of the 2 year warrenty?

#210 Jacoblee23

Jacoblee23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

How long is this tv on sale at best buy? Also, will this work as a regular tv for cable, etc?