Barnes & Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale - 7/10-7/30

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#31 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

I picked up Branded to Kill, Tokyo Drifter and Sanbiki no Samurai all on blu-ray. Did they remaster the Samurai Trilogy for blu-ray? I remember the audio and visual quality of the DVDs was pretty bad for Criterion standards.

See for yourself: http://www.dvdbeaver...e3/samuraii.htm

DVD:

Spoiler

Blu-ray:

Spoiler

#32 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Can't believe I missted the B3G1 stacking. I was totally countiing on that happening but forgot completely that this was starting today. I confused the dates with BB's Upgrade and Save :(

#33 Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms

Deal Sniper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Can't believe I missted the B2G1 stacking. I was totally countiing on that happening but forgot completely that this was starting today. I confused the dates with BB's Upgrade and Save :(

Same here. Oh well. Que sera sera.

M

#34 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Any shipment confirmations yet? Mine are all showing that they expect shipment 7/10

#35 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Any shipment confirmations yet? Mine are all showing that they expect shipment 7/10

Nothing yet. I've got a browser tab open to gmail, and I keep jumping every time a new message indicator pops up. :lol: All of mine say they should ship today too, but I've found in the past that I often don't get B&N shipping notification emails until late evening. So I'm not too worried yet.

#36 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Nothing yet. I've got a browser tab open to gmail, and I keep jumping every time a new message indicator pops up. :lol: All of mine say they should ship today too, but I've found in the past that I often don't get B&N shipping notification emails until late evening. So I'm not too worried yet.

Haha, I got the same thing going on. Logged onto MSN and everytime I get that message ding I hurry to my hotmail account. So far, it's a bunch of other crap. No I don't want 42 cent per pop Mexican Boner pills, I want my shipping confirmations, damn it!

I placed 5 orders, all for me, non of that gift crap. The 5th one I got 3 Essential Arthouse titles for 10 bucks each, so i had to find a 5 dollar book to get the free shipping. Didn't even know they were gonna be on sale.

Also, the Akira Kurosawa AK 100 Box Set is also on sale. Only 199. I already have it, but it is a really nice set and at a really nice price.

#37 gojiboy

gojiboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just got my first shipment confirmation for one of my buy 2 get 1 free orders, including tracking number. :D This makes me hopeful that my other two orders will ship as well. So glad I was able to jump on this deal.

Here's what I ordered:

The Phantom Carriage 1 07-10-2012 $0.00
Island of Lost Souls 1 07-10-2012 $19.99
Kuroneko 1 07-10-2012 $19.99

Gojira 1 07-10-2012 $0.00
Sommaren med Monika 1 07-10-2012 $19.99
3 Women 1 07-10-2012 $19.99

(this is the one I got shipping confirmation for)
Sommarlek 1 07-10-2012 $0.00
Sanbiki no Samurai 1 07-10-2012 $14.99
The Letter Never Sent 1 07-10-2012 $14.99

I may pick up a couple of the more expensive box sets in the next couple of weeks if some good coupons come out. Namely The Samurai Trilogy and the Noel Coward set.

#38 MrRedrum

MrRedrum

My People Need Me!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

Son of a... I was at my computer during the glitch in the system, but wasn't even aware that the sale was live yet until just now :cry:. I would've grabbed sooo many releases that I wanted if I only knew... Oh well, I picked up The Samurai Trilogy with the 15% coupon code for now. I'm planning on grabbing La Haine, Being John Malkovich and possibly Shallow Grave, depending on whether or not this new mystery coupon shows up before the sale is over & if it's any good. I'm so jealous of those of you that got in on the B2G1 stacking lol.

76561197995062718.png573230.png

Completed 360 Retail Games (100%)
Madden NFL (06, 08, 09), Call of Duty 2 & 4, Fight Night Round 3, Dynasty Warriors 5, NBA 2K6, NFS: Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed I & II, Resident Evil 5, Green Lantern, X-Men: Destiny
, Darkness II

My Blu-ray Collection

#39 jughead

jughead

Beersport Champion!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

I got two B2G1's along with 50% off. I quit, thinking they would likely get cancelled and I would be out of the liquidity for 2 or 3 days while they removed the pending charge from my CC. Wish I would have done the final 3 in my cart around 1:00am last night. Oh well, I still feel lucky.

#40 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

They still may get cancelled. No shipping confirmation for either of my 5 orders.

As you can see, I'm quite the optimist

#41 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

They still may get cancelled. No shipping confirmation for either of my 5 orders.

As you can see, I'm quite the optimist

I've gotten shipping confirmations for just over half of the titles that I ordered (14 out of 27 -- a few full orders, and a couple of partial orders shipped), so I think it's pretty safe to say they're not canceling them.

#42 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'm limiting myself to one film (for now) should I get Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro. I already have Seven Samurai and loved it.

TheVila.jpg
TheVila.png

#43 electricsleep

electricsleep

Prof. Hinsley

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

I'm limiting myself to one film (for now) should I get Samurai Trilogy or Yojimbo & Sanjuro. I already have Seven Samurai and loved it.

I'd go with Yojimbo/Sanjuro over the Samurai Trilogy. ST is well acted by the main characters but the story isn't really that great for a trilogy. I've watched both twice and I don't really think I'd rewatch ST again but I definitely will watch Y/S again.

#44 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

I've gotten shipping confirmations for just over half of the titles that I ordered (14 out of 27 -- a few full orders, and a couple of partial orders shipped), so I think it's pretty safe to say they're not canceling them.

I'm still 0 for 16, so if it's all the same I shall remain pessimistic and assume cancellation until shipment notices.

#45 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

While I enjoyed the Samurai Trilogy (which is in color) I don't think I would have the need to watch it again....With Yojimbo and Sanjuro (which are in black and white), I wouldn't mind seeing them again....Yojimbo esp...I found the dry humor in it enjoyable.

#46 Turbojugend

Turbojugend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

Man, The Samurai Trilogy looks sooooo much better on Blu-Ray. Even the night-time scenes that were big ol' black blobs on the DVD are well presented.

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks OP!

#47 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:46 AM

I'm still 0 for 16, so if it's all the same I shall remain pessimistic and assume cancellation until shipment notices.

Haha, however you'd like it. :D I now have shipping notices for all of the ones that I ordered except for Traffic.

#48 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

Haha, however you'd like it. :D I now have shipping notices for all of the ones that I ordered except for Traffic.

I received an email for both my orders and everything is shipped out.

#49 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

I have since gotten notices for 4 complete orders out of the 5 I placed. I knew all along they would ship!

The one whole order that has yet to ship included Repulsion, being John Malkovich, and 12 Angry Men. However on the website, it does say "cannot be removed" under the area where it lets you cancel. So my guess is that is in the process of shipping now.

#50 GreyFox787

GreyFox787

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

The store here in Wilmington, NC killed their media section last year or else I'd renew my membership and go on a shopping spree...

I see folks in this topic talking of a coupon for members being likely during the sale...but doesn't that only work once, and on only one item?

#51 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Tossed in my order of Samurai Trilogy online with the 15% off coupon from my BN Buzz text message, as it was an online only coupon.

I'll wait it out for now until tomorrow and see if there's a real mystery coupon and if so, make more orders. If not, there's plenty of time for more coupons to come out.

EDIT: All you other CAGs with numerous orders are delaying mine. My single item order won't ship until tomorrow. :bomb:

Edited by shrike4242, 11 July 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#52 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

I see folks in this topic talking of a coupon for members being likely during the sale...but doesn't that only work once, and on only one item?

Online coupons can only be used once per account. In-store coupons can usually (with the exception of very rare ones with unique codes) be used multiple times.

#53 JP73

JP73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

I got a delay e-mail for each item in one whole order. Repulsion, Being John Malkovich, and 12 Angry Men are now expected to ship in 1-5 buisness days. The other orders are out, but two of these movies are the ones I wanted most

#54 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

...nearly spent $250 ._. Told they retroactively rebate you on the membership 10% if you sign up within 30 days... doing that ASAP.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#55 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

...nearly spent $250 ._. Told they retroactively rebate you on the membership 10% if you sign up within 30 days... doing that ASAP.

Did you spend it in-store or online? The 10% member discount is only good for in-store purchases, not online purchases.

#56 electricsleep

electricsleep

Prof. Hinsley

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Just got my 1 and only order today. I got a shipping confirmation around 10:30 last night.

#57 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

Did you spend it in-store or online? The 10% member discount is only good for in-store purchases, not online purchases.

In-store. :D I'm too impatient for shipping.

#58 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

In-store. :D I'm too impatient for shipping.

Heh, surprised they didn't pester you into buying a membership at the time, then. ;) I actually dropped the item that I was going to buy and walked out of a Barnes and Noble recently, because the cashier spent five minutes basically bullying the guy in line in front of me into buying a membership, and then another five minutes taking down all of his information into the register. Then he discovered that it was $25 and decided he didn't want it. Since she had already entered all of his info and signed him up, she didn't know how to cancel it out, so she had to call for a manager. By that point, I'd had enough of standing there, so I set the item that I was going to buy down on the counter and left. They get way too aggressive with that shit.

But yeah, if you spent $250, get a membership. You'll only break even because you'll pay $25 for it and only get $25 back, but at least then you'll have a membership for the rest of the year, including the next Criterion sale. :)

#59 Dranakin

Dranakin

Member Since Oct 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

I picked up The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, and Modern Times with the B2G1, even though I already own the definitive DVD versions (Mk2/Warner Home Video). Couldn't help it!

Really hope Criterion does City Lights next.

#60 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

Heh, surprised they didn't pester you into buying a membership at the time, then. ;) I actually dropped the item that I was going to buy and walked out of a Barnes and Noble recently, because the cashier spent five minutes basically bullying the guy in line in front of me into buying a membership, and then another five minutes taking down all of his information into the register. Then he discovered that it was $25 and decided he didn't want it. Since she had already entered all of his info and signed him up, she didn't know how to cancel it out, so she had to call for a manager. By that point, I'd had enough of standing there, so I set the item that I was going to buy down on the counter and left. They get way too aggressive with that shit.

But yeah, if you spent $250, get a membership. You'll only break even because you'll pay $25 for it and only get $25 back, but at least then you'll have a membership for the rest of the year, including the next Criterion sale. :)

Oddly enough only one employee asked me about the membership.. same one that said they retroactively can do stuff from up to 30 days ago. If I buy ONE more title, I've hit $250.. so yea going for the membership and grabbing another title.