Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V4! Insert witty comment here.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11094 replies to this topic

#10921 trogoldito

trogoldito

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

Any preachy seems too preachy to me, but I'm one of THOSE people. :hot:

I'm the same way. I usually purchase almost any adventure game on sale but I'm definitely going to have to pass on this one.

Anyhow, Hero Academy looks really good to me. But at $15 for the whole package I'll have to pass for now. I will definitely buy it if they have a decent sale though.
Posted Image

#10922 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

Missed the start of the Indie Royale....I just cant bring myself to buy them if im paying over 5. Looks like another I'm passing on unless it drops

#10923 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

Missed the start of the Indie Royale....I just cant bring myself to buy them if im paying over 5. Looks like another I'm passing on unless it drops

Whoever spots it dropping under $5 should buy about 10 copies to share.

#10924 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:56 AM

Ugh GFWL. Corrupted my Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet save at 97% complete. All I had left to do was beat the final boss.

Saving this quote for future "why does everyone hate GFWL so much?" questions.

76561197971332172.png

#10925 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:58 AM

Exactly how does GFWL corrupt a save file?
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#10926 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

Agreed $4 is high enough as it is unless the unlikely scenario that you absolutely love every game in it to death. $5+ is just a deal breaker.

It's also annoying that you pretty much have to camp out at your computer and catch it right at the beginning or you can kiss $4 goodbye. I know there's a chance at a dip but that requires camping out again. Their whole system is fucking annoying. And to launch on a day that isn't their usual and on a weekend to boot just makes it worse. :bomb:

#10927 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

Saving this quote for future "why does everyone hate GFWL so much?" questions.

Exactly how does GFWL corrupt a save file?

Damn can you call it or what Hal?

Anyway it's a cloud save so there's potential for things to go wrong between their servers and your computer. It can happen with Steam cloud save too but I've seen it reported more frequently with GFWL.

However to make things easier for the 'I don't believe there's anything wrong with GFWL' types just go ahead and think that every complaint about it is lies and really just one big conspiracy to smear Microsoft.

PS for what it's worth I do think Microsoft makes some good things. You will have to pry the wireless 360 driving wheel from me cold, dead hands. :-)

#10928 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

You will have to pry the wireless 360 driving wheel from me cold, dead hands. :-)

...so you're playing Zombie Driver, then? ;)

#10929 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Elephant in the room

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:35 AM

Whoever spots it dropping under $5 should buy about 10 copies to share.

I've caught it a few times at 3.99 when it first launched, normally I'd be at work reading these forums and just happen to catch it. Next time I catch one at launch I will buy like 10 copies.

#10930 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

I blame online multiplayer for this. With the exception of Civilization, most games and game types that have historically been turn-based have "evolved" to be constantly moving, unpausable. Even games that don't include a multiplayer aspect have shifted to this just because it's become the norm.

Ya it's a really weird trend, the worst is the move to unpausable games it is the one thing that basically renders Dark/Demon souls unplayable now for me. I really hope this isn't the way of the future game studios blocking pausing and then claiming this makes the game, "Hardcore" and therefore don't worry its not for the "casuals."

I seem to remember Diablo 3 even when in single player online you couldn't pause the game either. It makes you think who the designers think are playing the games, it is kind of a insult to think the developers truly think their players have no life and so therefore wont need to worry about pausing.
Posted Image

#10931 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

I'm the same way. I usually purchase almost any adventure game on sale but I'm definitely going to have to pass on this one.

Anyhow, Hero Academy looks really good to me. But at $15 for the whole package I'll have to pass for now. I will definitely buy it if they have a decent sale though.

I'm kind of disappointed with Hero Academy. Asynchronous turn based doesn't work nearly as well on PC especially when there is no notification system to let you know when it's your turn unless you keep the game running in the background.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#10932 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hero Academy is FREE on Iphone which makes the money they're asking on PC seem really, really silly. I know they don't stand a chance of the 5+ million install base on Iphone but come on. At least convince me there's a value add on PC

#10933 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

You're basically paying 5 bucks for the TF2 team and avatars.

Also, anyone who is interested, your account links purchases across platforms. So if you don't care about the avatars (no added gameplay value) or the hats in TF2, buy the teams on iOS after you buy the game on Steam.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#10934 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hahaha! You have to be kidding me, right? Aren't they like $2 on Iphone? That's brilliant!

Also, if we make a new Steam thread I'm just gonna say we need to outlaw indie games entirely from post one
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#10935 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

Hahaha! You have to be kidding me, right? Aren't they like $2 on Iphone? That's brilliant!

Also, if we make a new Steam thread I'm just gonna say we need to outlaw indie games entirely from post one

Posted Image

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#10936 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

It isn't like Ipad ports being much cheaper on Ipad is new.

Off the top of my head/ quick googling:

Hero Academy
Fieldrunners
Snuggle Truck
Everything Popcap makes
Upcoming Baldur's Gate remake
Flight Control
Galcan Fusion
World of Goo
Osmos
Spacechem
Sword & Sworcery
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD (which is releasing next week on PC)

All MUCH cheaper. Don't get me wrong, the DLC for HA is overpriced, but I don't really see why the base game's price is getting so much attention.

Edited by Corpekata, 13 August 2012 - 03:21 AM.

#10937 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

Ughh moving right now so things are really hectic, things getting boxed, staging of the house. I want my games. ):

I feel your pain, been moving since Thursday myself. Almost done though, but I've really been wishing I could game but by the time I am done for the night I just kinda curl up in my bed and watch some netflix and then pass out instead of doing so.

Also really disappointed with Indie Royal again. Seems like their past couple of bundles have been kinda meh in my opinion anyway.

#10938 AgentW

AgentW

Ate a sandwich.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

semi-related. I didn't see it mentioned here yet, and i didn't see the indie gala thread, but GalaPoints now have a purpose!

Finally the Indiegala store ( or simply GalaStore ) has arrived! Indiegala store is the new online store developed by indiegala team , with the mission to bring you always the best deals
and deliver the best promotions! More than 50 titles are present on the store right now and dozens of new titles will come every week!

On the store you can buy games at cheap prices using your galapoints!

and the site/FAQ is http://store.indiega...m/faq-galastore

...but it's currently down. the drift is that GalaPoints points are redeemable for steam games. time to start hosting bundles y'all

#10939 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

does anybody know how many episodes "adam's venture" will have? is this the last one? seems like a good game but i dont want to get burned buying the 1st 3 and then another episode or 2 or a complete game will be released after a couple of months.

#10940 samuelcole

samuelcole

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

Anyway it's a cloud save so there's potential for things to go wrong between their servers and your computer. It can happen with Steam cloud save too but I've seen it reported more frequently with GFWL.

Not only that, they encrypt saves against a private key generated *per computer*, so if you try to move saves between the *same* Xbox account to another computer, they just won't show up. Not error, just not show up.

Really gave me a headache a couple months ago, until I learned where the private key I needed to copy was.

#10941 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

what'd that take us, 3 weeks? :bouncy:

3 weeks of Brawny gents. :booty:
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#10942 UlysisAM

UlysisAM

'Nuff Said...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

does anybody know how many episodes "adam's venture" will have? is this the last one? seems like a good game but i dont want to get burned buying the 1st 3 and then another episode or 2 or a complete game will be released after a couple of months.

No need to worry because there are only three games in the series. The third game is the end of the series.

#10943 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

No need to worry because there are only three games in the series. The third game is the end of the series.

thanks!

#10944 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:07 AM

semi-related. I didn't see it mentioned here yet, and i didn't see the indie gala thread, but GalaPoints now have a purpose!

and the site/FAQ is http://store.indiega...m/faq-galastore

...but it's currently down. the drift is that GalaPoints points are redeemable for steam games. time to start hosting bundles y'all

It was talked about a few days ago.. Sorry to burst your bubble but.. long story short, it's not as great as you think. Limits on how many points can be used per purchase, etc. :(

#10945 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

Every time I've visited that damn store it's been down for maintenance. Does nobody have an online storefront best practices list? I mean just everyone and their dog has one and most of them can manage to keep them up!
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#10946 Leftylikesgames

Leftylikesgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

So would you recommend starting off with the new series? Or the old new one as I heard a lot of fans complaining about this new show IIRC.

Um, I'd probably start with the new series to see if you like it, unless of course you're one of those OCD people (like me ;)) that usually needs to start a TV series from the beginning, then I'd say go for it. But for anyone else I would reccommend starting with the new series, not because it is in anyway better (it has its ups and downs like any series, though I warn you some episodes are downright embarrassing), but because it's generally more accessible than the older series episodes. All of the new series are on Blu ray and DVD, where as a lot of the older series' episodes have yet to be released, further more, many of the earliest episodes of the first two doctor's seasons have been fully or partially destroyed due to the BBC's unfortunate habit of wiping tapes back then. There are restorations online, "photo plays" done by fans that piece any surviving footage/still shots with the soundtracks, but unless you become a devout fan I'd say skip those, they can be rather tedious to most, but rewarding to those who enjoy any of Big Finish's Doctor Who audioplays.

#10947 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

eastx, can we start working on a V5 thread? This one is getting more than a little long in the tooth.

eastx hasn't posted here in quite a while, I am just quoting this so he sees it perhaps.

If he needs, know he can easily pawn it off on one of us if he wants.

#10948 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

Thanks, eastx! Made a new thread.
Previous thread was here.

FYI, on our new forum software, large threads wont be an issue.

This, the fourth post of the thread, has me wondering why we need to start a new thread again right now. Or is the new software not in place yet? I can see where Cheapy would have posted this assuming that this thread wouldn't reach this size as quickly as it has...

#10949 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

I am surprised. I saw this Indie Royale and thought that I would only play Sol, so why buy it. Usually I throw in for Indie Royale because the games seem alright, but these games are not my thing.

Then again it's a good thing seeing I spent a crapload of money in gas/food this week no thanks to the venue of the concert fest I went to charged out the ass. So saving me some money I guess :D.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#10950 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'm watching the Indie Royale price steadily decrease ($5.34 now), but I'm also listening to the album that comes with it at the $8.00 level and it's really growing on me. Bah. I wish the album level would decrease with the minimum.

Still looking to buy the bundle alone if/when it drops to below five.