Akai Katana - 25% off - $29.99 shipped

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Does this game come recommended to shmup neophytes? I want to pick it up, but not if it's rape my mouth hard.

There's a novice mode that's a lot less mouth-rapey.

#32 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

How much was Espgaluda II? Been keeping my eye on that and Mushi, can't pull the trigger at $50 each though.

I ordered it and Mushi a few months ago (along with Chrono Gear, a fellow CAG) from yesasia (with a $3 off coupon, not sure if its valid anymore) both were the platinum hits versions and both play perfectly fine on a US 360. Also $38 a piece was a lot easier to swallow then $50 a piece, which wasn't going to happen as far as I was concerned.

Links and code from my PM to CG.

http://www.yesasia.c...-0-en/info.html

(apparently play asia has it in stock again as well) (no idea how this link got in the original post....anyway)
http://www.play-asia...en-70-3yu5.html

NEWTWITTER3 at yesasia for $3 off so up to you, but hope this helps. (No idea if this still works anymore)
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#33 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

There is no easy entrance to boolet hell shooting games if you've played only Galaga and Gradius. It's not very hard (All of them have infinite continues these days, so there'[s that.) but none of them seem so easy when you're starting out.

There are many cheaper intros to boolet hell shumps though.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#34 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

$55 fulfilled by amazon/prime elgible. i just used bb gc's to buy a $50 amz kindle card and paid the $5 difference. seems pricey at first, but considering that $50 bb gc came from tradeins of games that cost me maybe $20 total, in the end its like paying $25 for it. plus prime elgibility means its here in 2 days instead of 2 weeks from hk. did the same thing when i wanted to pick up mushi, and again when i picked up akai katana. bb gc's rule.

How much was Espgaluda II? Been keeping my eye on that and Mushi, can't pull the trigger at $50 each though.

my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#35 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

I ordered it and Mushi a few months ago (along with Chrono Gear, a fellow CAG) from yesasia (with a $3 off coupon, not sure if its valid anymore) both were the platinum hits versions and both play perfectly fine on a US 360. Also $38 a piece was a lot easier to swallow then $50 a piece, which wasn't going to happen as far as I was concerned.

Links and code from my PM to CG.

(apparently play asia has it in stock again as well) (no idea how this link got in the original post....anyway)
http://www.play-asia...en-70-3yu5.html

NEWTWITTER3 at yesasia for $3 off so up to you, but hope this helps. (No idea if this still works anymore)

Thanks for the info; $40 is a little better than $50 for these games. The code didn't work, I may look around for some other codes for a small discount. Been wanting to try Mushi and Esp II for some time, but was hoping for more in the $25 range each. I've been spoiled by recent releases by RSG, like DDPR and Akai Katana!

#36 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

$55 fulfilled by amazon/prime elgible. i just used bb gc's to buy a $50 amz kindle card and paid the $5 difference. seems pricey at first, but considering that $50 bb gc came from tradeins of games that cost me maybe $20 total, in the end its like paying $25 for it. plus prime elgibility means its here in 2 days instead of 2 weeks from hk. did the same thing when i wanted to pick up mushi, and again when i picked up akai katana. bb gc's rule.

Thanks for the quick reply, not bad but I'm holding out for some cheaper prices. May go with Yes Asia for Mushi at least, Esp II is out of stock there.

#37 Auburn

Auburn

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

$40 for each of those is very tempting. That's definitely the cheapest I've seen either one of them. If I had to pick one, would Mushihimesama be the general consensus?

#38 technicalstylez

technicalstylez

Colors User

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

if u have an idevice -iphone/itouch/ipad- u can get mushi for cheap and try it out -the ipad version is really good- til the console version price drops.

Thanks for the quick reply, not bad but I'm holding out for some cheaper prices. May go with Yes Asia for Mushi at least, Esp II is out of stock there.

my tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...718#post8655718

now playing:

-insert DC icon here- GUNLORD :hot:

#39 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

if u have an idevice -iphone/itouch/ipad- u can get mushi for cheap and try it out -the ipad version is really good- til the console version price drops.

Thanks, no i-devices for me (all Android or PC). I'll keep my eye out for the import platinum versions of these two games, at a great price.

#40 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for the info; $40 is a little better than $50 for these games. The code didn't work, I may look around for some other codes for a small discount. Been wanting to try Mushi and Esp II for some time, but was hoping for more in the $25 range each. I've been spoiled by recent releases by RSG, like DDPR and Akai Katana!

If you collect shumps (which I know you play quite a few) don't count on it, the market is there that the collectors don't re-sell, period. Unless you get Hastings or Best Buy and luck out with a buy 2, get 1 is the only way you're going to get the price you'd want, but due to the fact that those are JPN only releases already in limited availability and have to be imported, unless you find a 3rd party seller or a copy at Ebay someone wants to offload cheap, the chances of getting it cheaper than the $38 I posted are pretty slim to none.

RSG didn't price Akai Katana at a discount price (like most Shmup releases) so as you see it didn't go down until Amazon wanted to clear some stock and make some sales. But the other two games, when I ordered they had to special order it for me, so unless there is a US importer who has stock and wanting to offload....

see here...

http://www.japanvide...ters-s/1907.htm

yeah not going to happen...here's another well known importer

http://www.shopncsx....mafutari-3.aspx

http://www.shopncsx....redition-2.aspx

Buying direct from JPN is literally your only other option, but due to shipping might be cost prohibitive in the long run.

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but you were interested in Futari because of the black label DLC that was cheap (which spurred me to buy the game and start my hunt to begin with)

I think I exhausted all of my links to show you price comparisons and hope you understand what I said about pricing for it, my recommendation if you really want it, is to bite the bullet and get it from yesasia (check their facebook / twitter for a code and then buy'em) either that or check the buy, sell, trade section of shmups.com and see if someone has some copies they can part with cheaper than $38 a piece.

Good Luck. ;)
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#41 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

$40 for each of those is very tempting. That's definitely the cheapest I've seen either one of them. If I had to pick one, would Mushihimesama be the general consensus?

My recommendation is to watch a level play through of both, depends if you want to play a game with psychic fighters or a game about killing dinosaurs with guns. :lol:

As far as specifics, I'd let the experts over at Shumps.com take that one, since I'm far from an expert on these (I enjoy them, but its not solely the only genre I love) and they'll detail specifics that you're asking for.

http://shmups.system...pic.php?t=15512

http://shmups.system...opic.php?t=6281

Yesasia has both in stock, unless you meant playasia, then yeah they are out of one of them.

#42 Auburn

Auburn

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Akai Katana (EU) is on sale at Play-Asia for $22.90 right now. I picked up that and Mushihimesama with their free shipping promo ($25+ order) for a total of $63.30. Unfortunately, since Akai Katana is on sale, you cannot use any $5 off coupons.

#43 gunstar808

gunstar808

Capitalism, Ho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Looks like Akai Katana is now $19.99 through Most Wanted or Shark Dist. Seems like a worthy buy price, just need something for FSS.

#44 Strider Turbulence

Strider Turbulence

Son of the Old Gods

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

^ Good shit. Ordered a copy, I can't wait to play it!!

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#45 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Akai Katana (EU) is on sale at Play-Asia for $22.90 right now. I picked up that and Mushihimesama with their free shipping promo ($25+ order) for a total of $63.30. Unfortunately, since Akai Katana is on sale, you cannot use any $5 off coupons.

Have you gotten it yet? I picked one up from Zavvi a month or so ago, and the sealed game weighed MUCH more than the U.S. version, but I haven't opened the UK copy (and don't plan to). Is it just the multi-lingual manual for UK that makes the whole thing weigh a lot more?

The U.S. manual wasn't bad (full color and nicely done, no complaints in this day of cheap to no manuals), but it certainly wasn't very thick either. I assume the weight difference for UK vs. U.S. is due to a multi-lingual manual, but I'm not opening my UK copy just to find out.

And BTW 19.99 for Akai Katana is a great price, well worth picking up.

#46 Midnite

Midnite

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Thanks, ordered a copy as well, been wanting to play this for a while now.

#47 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

For those who have played both - compare this to Sine Mora. I did not really like Sine Mora (I tend to suck at shmups) - but this game looks pretty awesome...

EDIT: As somebody stated on page 2, MOST WANTED, fulfilled by Amazon has it priced at 19.97. I have ordered from them before via Amazon - and it was normal and legit.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png

#48 Captain_Insano16

Captain_Insano16

Has a ton of stuff FS/FT!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

Sweet - in for one at $20. Thanks all. I have been waiting on a deal on this one.
Checkout my FS/FT/Wants list! :bouncy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in all types of old school games - NES, SEGA, ATARI, TG-16, NEOGEO, ETC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also want Transformers or Gobots

#49 therealdeal19

therealdeal19

GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:23 AM

Sweet! Definitely in for $19.97. I'm glad I waited a little longer.

516078.png
TheHolyPickle.jpg

#50 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

For those who have played both - compare this to Sine Mora. I did not really like Sine Mora (I tend to suck at shmups) - but this game looks pretty awesome...

EDIT: As somebody stated on page 2, MOST WANTED, fulfilled by Amazon has it priced at 19.97. I have ordered from them before via Amazon - and it was normal and legit.

Shark Distribution is also great, no problems with orders from them (fulfilled by Amazon).

#51 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

Shark Distribution is also great, no problems with orders from them (fulfilled by Amazon).

I ordered via Shark Distribution on Saturday when this was priced at $21.XX (which oddly an hour later it was back up to the $30 Amazon price), oh well, $2 isn't a big deal.

Great game btw, shmups should all really be priced at $20 though imo.

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#52 LoveAndBeer

LoveAndBeer

AKA: jstew9

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up, $20 was my buy point, and Prime shipping was just a bonus, will have the game before the weekend.
The battle's done, and we kind of won, so we sound our victory cheer

#53 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

Thanks OP, grabbed one for $19.97

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#54 destro4eva

destro4eva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

$20 was my breaking point. Thanks OP, bought one from Jaws.

#55 blinknot4

blinknot4

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

Me too - couldn't resist any longer.

Dill The Noise.

471350.png

#56 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Amazon 3rd party sellers went up to 22.95, but Newegg has it for 19.99 in case anyone didn't pick it up yet: http://www.newegg.co...Tpk=akai katana

#57 thakingrocka

thakingrocka

El Profesor

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

I LOVED this game. It took me about 5 hours of play before I fully understood the systems in place, but those 5 hours leading up to that point were insanely fun too. It was just a whole other layer of depth that I broke into at 5 hours. I stopped playing because I spent three hours one night replaying a single level for high score. It's not that I didn't love doing that, but I recognized the addictive quality and moved on to finish Persona 4 in anticipation of Arena. It was well worth 40. It's well worth 30.

#58 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

Down to $16.99 sold by Isomergames shipped by Amazon.

#59 chunlirocks

chunlirocks

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

$19.99 at newegg for those who do not tolerate Amazon's shitastic shipping rates, unconstitutional tax and their now famous sweatshop warehouses:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16874203012

:beer:
:joystick: CERTIFIED GRADE A VIDIOT:joystick:

IN MY CONSOLES - NOW PLAYING:
:ps3: BLAZBLUE and DEMON's SOULS
:360: MUSHIHIMESAMA FUTARI 1. 5
:ps2: EVERBLUE 2
:wii: METROID PRIME TRILOGY
:psp: Field Commander
:xbox: XYANIDE

#60 Monsta Mack

Monsta Mack

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:09 AM

Wow this game is dropping despite all those great reviews. Tempted to pick up a copy myself.