Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

• Please log in to reply
11970 replies to this topic

#601 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Ya play action was horrible, had like a 75% failure rate.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#602 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Chris Cooley was released. They can't expect me to depend on Fred Davis and Niles Paul. This is terrible!
ASCII stupid question... get a stupid ANSI!

#603 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Just reading through the rules, and I don't mind injuries being on, but I had to laugh. One of the leagues I was in last year featured season ending injuries to Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Ryan Starks, and Charles Woodson...by the end of week 2. Here's to hoping that something similar doesn't happen to me in the first time of a CAG league LOL.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#604 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Chris Cooley was released. They can't expect me to depend on Fred Davis and Niles Paul. This is terrible!

Jason Witten may be available for the right price. PM me if you're interested.

#605 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Jason Witten may be available for the right price. PM me if you're interested.

I will have to see what the roster update does for Niles Paul and Fred Davis.

#606 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Just reading through the rules, and I don't mind injuries being on, but I had to laugh. One of the leagues I was in last year featured season ending injuries to Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, Ryan Starks, and Charles Woodson...by the end of week 2. Here's to hoping that something similar doesn't happen to me in the first time of a CAG league LOL.

Trust me, injuries were one of my BIGGEST concerns. I was extremely adament about making sure they were nowhere near as prevalent as last year. I've played at least 10 games of Madden 13 so far, and have not seen near as many. Another thing I intend on doing is sharing information with people to help avoid injuries as much as possible. One of these measures is changing the auto-sub settings from the default values in the game.

For offline mode, the game sets sub out at 50 and sub in at 60. For some reason, when I looked at Connected Careers, it was way different. Sub out was 49 and sub in was 51. That just doesn't seem logical. If people feel the 50/60 numbers still cause too many injuries, I'd recommend going for 60/70. Fatigue seems to be the biggest reason that injuries happen, so changing that SHOULD help.

#607 swift fix

swift fix

first person gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Has anyone heard anything on if the strategy guide is worth getting? Keep in mind I practically know nothing about pre-play adjustments, etc. All I know about related to those are that you can flick the right stick to flip the running play direction, and that I can push X to bring up some quick audibles in case someone does a no huddle. I have tried experimenting with O-Line shifts in the past, but it seems as if they have always never done anything. For example, I choose pinch, and I still get sacked immediately after the snap for a play action (which happens every single time I pick a play action, no matter if I try an O-Line shift or not).

I grabbed the strategy guide for $10 this morning when I picked up my pre-order from Best Buy. I've only glanced through it briefly, but I can't say that I wasn't entirely impressed with what I saw. Flipping through the book, it seemed like it was mostly fluff.

I too was hoping there would be a lot around pre-play adjustments; however, what I found was as basic as: "Have three pre-chosen running plays for audibles. If the defense is stacked to the left, use a running play to the right. If the defense is spread across the field, run it up the middle. etc."

For $10 I don't feel too bad with the purchase, but there is no way I'd pay full retail for it.

Edited by Swift900, 28 August 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#608 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

For offline mode, the game sets sub out at 50 and sub in at 60. For some reason, when I looked at Connected Careers, it was way different. Sub out was 49 and sub in was 51. That just doesn't seem logical. If people feel the 50/60 numbers still cause too many injuries, I'd recommend going for 60/70. Fatigue seems to be the biggest reason that injuries happen, so changing that SHOULD help.

Sounds good to me, I'll give it a shot.

Is it first come first serve in terms of picking up a free agent in this league? I just know I'm looking pretttttty thin at RB.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#609 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Is it first come first serve in terms of picking up a free agent in this league? I just know I'm looking pretttttty thin at RB.

Free Agency
(putting a bold title on this in the hope that more people read it, lol)

Good question. This is one of the biggest things we need to decide on. Since it was discovered that there is no negotiation process when you use the "sign free agent" part of the coach's menu and that all signings are one year contracts, it makes it way too easy for a team to just sign a bunch of free agents to improve their team.

We need to look at this and see if there's any real consequence if somebody wanted to do that. They'd most likely have to release players to do it, and it would hurt their cap space, but like I said, they're all one year contracts.

Last year, we waited until Week 5 before anyone was allowed to sign a free agent, and we did it in a draft format based on record (worst to best), where the teams each got to sign one free agent. The system worked just fine, but I don't know if that's fair to teams that have a bunch of cap room...unless we just want to say that that room is for BIG free agents, and not these little "depth pickups" that we see from FA pickups during the season.

The only other idea I have is letting teams with more cap room sign 2 FAs, where teams with less cap room can only sign 1. We could also change the draft format to be based on cap room instead of record. Just throwing ideas out there because I feel like we do need some kind of structure to it, but I don't want to penalize teams who have $15 million to spend either.

Definitely need some input on this one.
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#610 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Perhaps we can have a bidding war for any FA's during the season rated above 80? Have any team's interested in a player submit the amount of money they want to spend on a player to someone, highest bid wins.

#611 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

I like the draft idea a lot. Instead of waiting until week 5 maybe we could do a draft based on overall team ratings at the beginning of the first season. That way weaker teams get first dibs on better players to help out positions that are thin.

Once season 2 hits it will probably turn into a free agency bidding war among players sort of like madden 12 offseasons were. At that point the advantage will automatically go to the team with more cap space which is how it works realistically. Then we wouldn't need to regulate free agency at all because all the good free agents will be gone after the "Active Free Agency Period".

Edited by JoelyPoley, 28 August 2012 - 08:23 PM.
Update

#612 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Perhaps we can have a bidding war for any FA's during the season rated above 80? Have any team's interested in a player submit the amount of money they want to spend on a player to someone, highest bid wins.

The contracts are set though, both in years and amount. It's like "Do you want to sign Chad Johnson to a 1 year contract for $2.5 million?" You can say no, but then you're just back where you started, lol.

I like the draft idea a lot. Instead of waiting until week 5 maybe we could do a draft based on overall team ratings at the beginning of the first season. That way weaker teams get first dibs on better players to help out positions that are thin.

Once season 2 hits it will probably turn into a free agency bidding war among players sort of like madden 12 offseasons were. At that point the advantage will automatically go to the team with more cap space which is how it works realistically. Then we wouldn't need to regulate free agency at all.

Yeah, I feel like we'll have to use some variation of the draft format. I don't really like the idea of doing it based on lowest overall team rating because we won't really know if those people will actually be the weakest players...who would need the most help. And it would kinda suck to give a really good player who didn't mind picking a bad team one of the best available FA's too. But the problem is, if the league isn't full, CPU teams will sign FA's too and will sign players like Donovan McNabb, James Farrior, and Jeremy Shockey. So, waiting isn't a good idea either.

#613 JoelyPoley

JoelyPoley

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

But the problem is, if the league isn't full, CPU teams will sign FA's too and will sign players like Donovan McNabb, James Farrior, and Jeremy Shockey. So, waiting isn't a good idea either.

This was my main concern with waiting a few weeks into the season. Its tough to find the fairest way to determine the order of who gets to sign FA's before the season starts.

#614 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

The fucking Vikings ran the score up on me. I scored to make it 28-21 them. The onside kick failed. They get the ball with 38 seconds left and I only have one timeout. I'm expecting a run play, and they hike it and chuck it down the field for a TD. Sonsofbitches.

#615 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

This was my main concern with waiting a few weeks into the season. Its tough to find the fairest way to determine the order of who gets to sign FA's before the season starts.

That's why I was considering cap space. I mean, then you could at least make the argument that those teams have a claim to better FA's because they have the most money to spend. For the most part, that would coincide with overall ratings except for a few exceptions (Patriots and Texans have almost 3 times as much as the Dolphins). At least then you're basing it on something a little more relevant than overall rating.

#616 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

The fucking Vikings ran the score up on me. I scored to make it 28-21 them. The onside kick failed. They get the ball with 38 seconds left and I only have one timeout. I'm expecting a run play, and they hike it and chuck it down the field for a TD. Sonsofbitches.

lol...I told you guys that AI clock management was way worse this year. I firmly believe that the testers EA hires are douchebags from ranked play. When they see stuff like that they go "Yeah, that looks about right."

#617 Chetty12

Chetty12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Another good rule I've seen people do in the past, in regards to free agency, is that if we have a draft for the initial free agency, you can't trade him away. It stops people from signing a 80 plus player just to give him to the CPU for a 2nd round pick or a young rookie.

#618 Chetty12

Chetty12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

And I agree salary cap would be a good way to set up the draft order.

#619 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Ok, well, if we're using salary cap room to determine the order for a pre-season round of free agency...just to make sure the CPU doesn't scoop up all the good players, this is what the order would look like based on the most recent roster update. I guess this could change a little with the next roster update before we officially get started, but it should be reasonably similar. But then again, we need to wait on an update anyway to see who's actually going to stay a free agent.

It should be noted that this list is quite different from the list posted earlier in the thread (http://www.cheapassg...6&postcount=478) but this is based on the actual roster in the game, which is what we have to work with.

1. Colts - $31.94M
2. Bengals - $21.59M
3. Titans - $15.96M
4. Browns - $14.67M
5. Texans - $14.21M
6. Cardinals - $13.99M
7. Patriots - $13.12M
8. Rams - $12.77M
9. Vikings - $12.68M
10. Bills - $11.34M
11. Raiders - $10.99M
12. Jaguars - $9.53M
13. Buccaneers - $9.14M
14. Chiefs - $8.06M
15. Panthers - $7.82M
16. Broncos - $6.51M
17. Seahawks - $6.35M
18. Dolphins - $5.99M
19. Giants - $5.83M
20. 49ers - $5.57M
21. Jets - $4.85M
22. Packers - $4.64M
23. Saints - $4.29M
24. Lions - $3.86M
25. Cowboys - $3.71M
26. Redskins - $3.66M
27. Falcons - $3.46M
28. Eagles - $2.73M
29. Bears - $1.86M
30. Chargers - $1.71M
31. Steelers - $1.54M
32. Ravens - $1.06M
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#620 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Damn. I guess I should have taken the Colts. :lol:

#621 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

not so upset about bengals anymore other than im strugglnig agianst chetty right now picking dalton apart piece by piece. but im holding reggie back

#622 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

Damn. I guess I should have taken the Colts. :lol:

Yeah...I'm not really sure why the lists are so drastically different. I don't know how up to date that one that DVO posted was, but I know I saw someone (I think Doom) post it in the other thread as well. Where is the game getting those numbers from?

#623 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

mine was about 2 weeks old prolly a non ccm salary or something i got it from doom
but i will take thoughs number either way if any one needs to make some salary room i would be interested if its the right player but remember im helping u so u help me a little with the cost of the trade :)

#624 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

i think i may have found us another guy for the league should be posting soon if he is going to join or not

#625 Docb9110

Docb9110

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

Got the game and ready to go fellas lets get it going for a great season.

Edit: geez I have been busy with work and it looks like I have missed 30 pages of freaking thread I have to catch up on lol

#626 Chetty12

Chetty12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

In the ccm I just started as long as I didn't simulate past week one of the preseason, all free agents were available.

#627 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

hey N8 wuts the plan for FA becuz i, more than likely going to miss the first 3-4 weeks of the season and i have caps space as u showed me and i would like to be able to sign people as well before there all gone :(

#628 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

mine was about 2 weeks old prolly a non ccm salary or something i got it from doom
but i will take thoughs number either way if any one needs to make some salary room i would be interested if its the right player but remember im helping u so u help me a little with the cost of the trade :)

Yeah, I even checked the default roster to see how the different the cap numbers were in that...and they were a little different, but not much. No extre $15M all of a sudden, lol. So, I expect the next roster update to look very similar to that. I think that's the best way to handle it though. Teams with the most cap room get first crack at the top free agents, and that'll get most of the really good players off the board so the CPU doesn't steal them all. And after that, like JoelyPoley said, free agency should mostly be out of the way, other than offseason stuff which does utilize negotiations and bidding wars. Not a perfect system, but probably the best way we can approach it.

hey N8 wuts the plan for FA becuz i, more than likely going to miss the first 3-4 weeks of the season and i have caps space as u showed me and i would like to be able to sign people as well before there all gone :(

No internet access or smartphone? Remember, all that stuff can be done on the website or with the app this year.

#629 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

i should have internet but will i be able to join the league from online and also where will i have to go for that.becuz if that the wya im going on a signing frenzy lol. but im not sure about how any of that internet stuff works. and if it will allow me to join the league not using the xbox

#630 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

i should have internet but will i be able to join the league from online and also where will i have to go for that.becuz if that the wya im going on a signing frenzy lol. but im not sure about how any of that internet stuff works. and if it will allow me to join the league not using the xbox

It's going to be a draft format. Each team is getting one player. I don't know if EA has the website ready (haven't checked yet). You should be able to accept an invite from it though based on what I've read. I did search the Google Play store for the Madden app earlier but that's definitely not up yet. Hopefully soon.