Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

• Please log in to reply
11970 replies to this topic

#1741 Hemingway012

Hemingway012

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

Fuck i didnt know how to do this either lol

#1742 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

it goes like this guys Fuck

ya thats right u can read it badass right

Madden 25

Official League Team: Bengals

Season 1: 0-0

Fans League Team: Possibly Chiefs

#1743 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Well thanks for the condescending tone. I've said what I had to say best of luck to the rest of you Gentlemen.
Edit: One more thing this league needs to fix is when two people are trying to have a discussion everyone needs to just keep their opinions to themselves. if your not apart of it I am sure blade can defend himself.

then take it to PMs if u want it just between the two of u...... DUH
Fuck shaq fu

Madden 25

#1744 Aft3rSh0ck24

Aft3rSh0ck24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

yeah ive played blade before too, he's definitely a respectful player. So how many coaches are down now. 2?

#1745 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Not that I've gotten a ton of offers on him, but since I'm negotiating a contract extension on Victor Cruz, I figured I should put out a fair warning. Once I resign him he's off the trade market.

#1746 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

If you think I am running to the outside don't stack the box in a 4-3 and rush, go dime or a sub that way you have more players on the outside, simple as that.

That's not really the best way to defend against the outside run (in my opinion of course). Corners and safeties are much easier to block than front 7 players. Well executed outside run plays will abuse the dime in my experience, especially if the player is patient with their blocks.

With practice, you can definitely learn to stop the outside run from your base defense (I tend to prefer 4-3, but the same principle applies with 3-4). A few tips that might help:

• Re-blitz your defensive ends straight down, or even put them in QB contain. This will help to prevent them from getting caught blocked by the guards or on the inside hip of the tackles. You typically want your ends on the tackles on outside runs so you don't have to worry about them blocking your linebackers.
  • Learn to be comfortable user-ing all three (or four) linebackers. Practice pursuit after the snap religiously. Don't just crash into the line on the play, learn to run behind the LOS until you see an opening to crash down on the back. It helps to have faster linebackers for this, but if you've got good reflexes even slower ones can chase down backs with good lateral movement. You can also do this with a safety, though I tend to prefer the linebacker.
  • Don't be afraid to over-pursue with whatever defender you're controlling. What you're trying to prevent is the back getting outside (and then behind) your defense. Even if you over-pursue, you can still force them to cut back into the teeth of the D.
  • Play-calling does matter. If you're running a lot of cover-2 looks with your safeties, try a cover-1 instead with the shorter safety playing to the side you expect the run. This will give you an extra player in run support and also a safety valve if the back beats your initial pursuit.
Of course, these strategies might not fit what everyone is comfortable with, but with practice they're extremely effective against the run. They work for me anyway.

Edit: Thought of one more important one.

• If you're going to blitz your linebackers on what you think will be a run, I'd highly recommend doing so manually so you can adjust once the play bounces outside. If you have linebackers blitzing up the middle and being gobbled up by the interior line, they're completely out of the play once the back gets outside the tackle box (even if they beat their blockers, they're in no position to make a play). Now you're trying to catch the back with corners and safeties, not a recipe for success.

Edited by bvharris, 05 October 2012 - 04:01 AM.

33126.png

#1747 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

That's not really the best way to defend against the outside run (in my opinion of course). Corners and safeties are much easier to block than front 7 players. Well executed outside run plays will abuse the dime in my experience, especially if the player is patient with their blocks.

With practice, you can definitely learn to stop the outside run from your base defense (I tend to prefer 4-3, but the same principle applies with 3-4). A few tips that might help:

• Re-blitz your defensive ends straight down, or even put them in QB contain. This will help to prevent them from getting caught blocked by the guards or on the inside hip of the tackles. You typically want your ends on the tackles on outside runs so you don't have to worry about them blocking your linebackers.
  • Learn to be comfortable user-ing all three (or four) linebackers. Practice pursuit after the snap religiously. Don't just crash into the line on the play, learn to run behind the LOS until you see an opening to crash down on the back. It helps to have faster linebackers for this, but if you've got good reflexes even slower ones can chase down backs with good lateral movement. You can also do this with a safety, though I tend to prefer the linebacker.
  • Don't be afraid to over-pursue with whatever defender you're controlling. What you're trying to prevent is the back getting outside (and then behind) your defense. Even if you over-pursue, you can still force them to cut back into the teeth of the D.
  • Play-calling does matter. If you're running a lot of cover-2 looks with your safeties, try a cover-1 instead with the shorter safety playing to the side you expect the run. This will give you an extra player in run support and also a safety valve if the back beats your initial pursuit.
Of course, these strategies might not fit what everyone is comfortable with, but with practice they're extremely effective against the run. They work for me anyway.

Edit: Thought of one more important one.

• If you're going to blitz your linebackers on what you think will be a run, I'd highly recommend doing so manually so you can adjust once the play bounces outside. If you have linebackers blitzing up the middle and being gobbled up by the interior line, they're completely out of the play once the back gets outside the tackle box (even if they beat their blockers, they're in no position to make a play). Now you're trying to catch the back with corners and safeties, not a recipe for success.

Thanks for the tips.
Posted Image

#1748 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for the tips.

Happy to help. :D

33126.png

#1749 L4WII

L4WII

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

I need the saints to go on auto so I can play

#1750 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

I need the saints to go on auto so I can play

I'll do that now.

#1751 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

so are there open teams right now?

Look, there's no easy way to ask this so I'm just gonna do it...

Does anyone want to be gay lovers with me in Fable 3?

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#1752 fsecreast

fsecreast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Browns defeat Bills 28-21. Had a late scare when he marched down the field and scored then almost recovered the onside kick with about a minute left.

Couldn't get the run game going but Tom Brady played great. 2 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. We both had some turnover issues early. I had a lot of trouble stopping Fred Jackson and he burnt me on a couple screen plays. Bills had a ton of injuries in the game but I don't think any were too serious.

Good game!(first opponent that had a mic too, so bonus points for him)

#1753 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

so are there open teams right now?

The Saints are definitely open...and I guess the Vikings might be (not sure if Rapid Shot has any intention of responding to the comments and advice that were given yesterday).

#1754 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Also don’t act like you used a combo of passes and runs because you didn’t. Overall you used maybe 6 passes.

I played Blade, and this sounds about right. Same 3-4 running plays throughout the game, not that I cared (I got skunked by him anyway).
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#1755 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I played Blade, and this sounds about right. Same 3-4 running plays throughout the game, not that I cared (I got skunked by him anyway).

The thing about statements like this is that basically all you're saying is "I played Madden." Most people don't use anywhere close to their entire playbook. To find any kind of success, you have to figure out which plays work, and drill them into your head. You have to learn where every player on the field is going to be at every second of that play. This is especially true of passing plays. You can't expect to call any old passing play (or use Gameflow) and just watch for a receiver to get open. There just isn't enough time...and you'll end up forcing passes and throwing INTs, or you'll take a lot of sacks. Everybody's offense has to start somewhere, and you're really better off just finding 2-3 plays that work and you can learn well. Then, when your opponent's defense figures out how to stop those 2-3 plays, you branch out and learn more. This is how we push each other to improve...and this is how the league truly sees growth.

#1756 fsecreast

fsecreast

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's actually funny you say that because I've been playing Madden since 04 and I've never used "Ask Madden" or Gameflow but this year I find myself using Gameflow much more often. It's mostly just because I'm way too lazy to actually go through my play book and pick a play. Lol

#1757 Chetty12

Chetty12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

I agree and know how annoying it can be playing someone that uses the same/similar 3-4 plays the entire game but in the end it doesn't really matter if they are picking 3-4 different runs or 10 different runs. He'll still go back to those 3-4 running plays when he needs them no matter what, and i'm sure everyone has "money plays" they have a ton of confidence in and go to in every situation. Unless you adjust and stop those "money plays" you arn't going to stop their offense anyway. That's not me condoning people that use 3-4 different plays, sometimes it can be a little excessive. It'd at least be nice if when you got a comfortable lead, people didn't feel the need to stay with those same plays and did try some different stuff. Honestly, blowouts are the best time to try and find something different that could work for you.

Madden 25 Official CAG League Record: Season 1: 19-0, Season 2: 18-1

Madden 25 Official CAG League, Season 1 and 2 Super Bowl Champion: Buffalo Bills

Madden 2013 Official CAG League, Season 4 Super Bowl Champion: Arizona Cardinals

#1758 Hemingway012

Hemingway012

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

I agree and know how annoying it can be playing someone that uses the same/similar 3-4 plays the entire game but in the end it doesn't really matter if they are picking 3-4 different runs or 10 different runs. He'll still go back to those 3-4 running plays when he needs them no matter what, and i'm sure everyone has "money plays" they have a ton of confidence in and go to in every situation. Unless you adjust and stop those "money plays" you arn't going to stop their offense anyway. That's not me condoning people that use 3-4 different plays, sometimes it can be a little excessive. It'd at least be nice if when you got a comfortable lead, people didn't feel the need to stay with those same plays and did try some different stuff. Honestly, blowouts are the best time to try and find something different that could work for you.

agreed

#1759 DVO21

DVO21

Non-Pro League

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

The Saints are definitely open...and I guess the Vikings might be (not sure if Rapid Shot has any intention of responding to the comments and advice that were given yesterday).

i will contact my boy and let him know a team is open in the league and that he needs to post since hes first on the waiting list well i guess really the only one on it

Madden 25

#1760 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'd take the Vikings

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#1761 Doomtime

Doomtime

Victor von Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

I'd take the Vikings

:puke:

CAGFL: (187-31)

Doomtime1.png

#1762 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Gotta keep working on my game. I know I know.

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#1763 hammurabi1337

hammurabi1337

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

As a Vikings fan, +1.

You don't know what you're getting into lmao
DIBS

#1764 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

As a Vikings fan, +1.

You don't know what you're getting into lmao

As a packers fan, yes I do.

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#1765 Docb9110

Docb9110

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

If anyone is up for a scrimmage PM me!

#1766 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

I'd take the Vikings

I'll add you to the waiting list. If Rapid Shot hasn't had a change of heart by the time we advance, they're all yours.
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#1767 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

No need to be throwing the ball up 18 and less than two minutes doo mane, especially on second down.

#1768 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

I'll add you to the waiting list. If Rapid Shot hasn't had a change of heart by the time we advance, they're all yours.

Nevermind ill pass I tried them

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#1769 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

No need to be throwing the ball up 18 and less than two minutes doo mane, especially on second down.

Yeah, this shouldn't be happening. Less than two minutes left is DEFINITELY time to drain the clock. Even if the other guy has all his timeouts, one first down, and the game is over. Doomtime? You reading this? This is your blood, man. I thought he was supposed to know better?

Nevermind ill pass I tried them

OKAYYYYY
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#1770 Doo Mane

Doo Mane

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

Yeah, sorry about that, didn't know what i was thinking. Dumbass move on my part. Won't happen again.

Edited by Doo Mane, 06 October 2012 - 03:24 AM.