Sooo.... what are the chances we get a 2D Metroid on WiiU?

I have a crazy feeling that Nintendo wants to put the Metroid franchise on the back burner.

I mean, Other M was just so awful and they completely ignored Metroid's 25th anniversary (Zelda and Mario got one, and even Kirby is getting one).

NSMB2 seems kinda stale (not saying I have anything against a sequels, since other companies do annual updates), especially since the best they could think up of is throwing tons of gold coins everywhere. They could have made a new 2D Metroid game in its place but that would probably take a bit of effort.

^I'd buy a Metroid collection for the Wii. (Even if it only had three games. Metroid NES, Metroid 2: Return of Samus, and Super Metroid.)

I'd be happier to see a 2D Metroid be released on the DS. I mean like the GB/GBA games. I so want a Metroid Fusion 2 or Metroid Zero Mission 2! (Remake of Metroid 2: Return of Samus.)

Why would they do a Metroid collection on Wii? They already did the Prime trilogy. That leaves Metroid and Super Metroid. I guess they could do the Gameboy games but how would that look on an HDTV?

Ugh. I'm not ever going to buy a collection of old games I've already played to death. I want a kick ass 2D Metroid with awesome graphics, crazy power-ups and a huge world to explore. A 3DS version would be sweet but I'd want a "full" game not like Fusion or Zero which were awesome but too small/short, IMO.

[quote name='Javery']Ugh. I'm not ever going to buy a collection of old games I've already played to death. I want a kick ass 2D Metroid with awesome graphics, crazy power-ups and a huge world to explore. A 3DS version would be sweet but I'd want a "full" game not like Fusion or Zero which were awesome but too small/short, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Agree on all points. The only 2D Metroid game that is kind of long is Metroid II, but I think that has more to do with the lack of a map system and the amount of back-tracking you inevitably do. It's a prime candidate for a bad-ass remake, which I was hoping we'd see after Zero Mission came out so well....

Slim to none, probably. Especially since Other M started out as a 2.5D sidescroller (like NSMBW, DKCR, KEY, K:RTDL, etc.) but without the obvious inclusion of co-op.

Although there'll probably be a Metroid game considering Miyamoto talked about the prospects of having one on Wii U. And when Miyamoto says something about a franchise, it's probably already in development.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Metroid: Other M 2. The sequel you've all been waiting for.[/QUOTE]

Tagline: "Team Ninja's back to finish what they started!"

[quote name='Vinny']I have a crazy feeling that Nintendo wants to put the Metroid franchise on the back burner.

I mean, Other M was just so awful and they completely ignored Metroid's 25th anniversary (Zelda and Mario got one, and even Kirby is getting one).

NSMB2 seems kinda stale (not saying I have anything against a sequels, since other companies do annual updates), especially since the best they could think up of is throwing tons of gold coins everywhere. They could have made a new 2D Metroid game in its place but that would probably take a bit of effort.[/QUOTE]
NSMB 2 is stale. I bought it today and well it's like why did I spend $40 on this. Still though Metroid could use a new 2D game that is classic Metroid based. I mean every Metroid game other than Other M in my opinion was good. Even the prime games were good imo. I don't see how they can't make a new Metroid, the talent is there, and they have the system.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Metroid: Other M 2. The sequel you've all been waiting for.[/QUOTE]
:puke:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']NSMB 2 is stale. I bought it today and well it's like why did I spend $40 on this.[/QUOTE]

You wanted those double Club Nintendo points?

[quote name='Corvin']Why would they do a Metroid collection on Wii? They already did the Prime trilogy. That leaves Metroid and Super Metroid. I guess they could do the Gameboy games but how would that look on an HDTV?[/QUOTE]

I know I'm in the minority here but I thought that each successive entry in the Prime games lost some of the best aspects of the Metroid franchise (the exploration, atmosphere, the feeling of being "alone") and moved it closer to the "generic FPS" with each successive entry. I loved the first Prime (basically Super Metroid 3D), liked Echoes a lot, but really didn't care for Corruption. Oh, and I hated waggle controls... made shooting better but exploration worse.

With all of that said, I would still love to see Metroid (maybe even with Zero Mission), Metroid II, Fusion and Super Metroid with a OST and artbook in one box set. I hate re-releases but love bonus goodies.

Metroid Prime is the best Metroid ever (blasphemy!) but the series did go downhill with 2 and 3. If I had to rank them:

Metroid Prime / Super Metroid
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid
Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Metroid: Other M

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']NSMB 2 is stale. I bought it today and well it's like why did I spend $40 on this. Still though Metroid could use a new 2D game that is classic Metroid based. I mean every Metroid game other than Other M in my opinion was good. Even the prime games were good imo. I don't see how they can't make a new Metroid, the talent is there, and they have the system.

:puke:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I'm reading this right. Are you saying Team Ninja is talented? I sure hope not.

And it's clear than NuSMB actually has the main NSMB team working on it. It has a lot of things that do make it stand out. NSMB2 was kind of kicked out the door in a few months, while NuSMB has been in development since early 2010.

I think there is a good chance for another 2/2.5D Metroid in the near future, hopefully it will be part of a combo release on 3DS and Wii U, as Nintendo likes to link up the home console and portable versions with Metroid releases. This just makes sense with the new tablet controller, or to better phrase it, should make sense.

The fact that Other M went with such a diverse play styles (2D, third person, first person) I see it as an experiment to see how the fans would react to its individual parts. Not to mention that practically every Metroid game (except the primes) is referenced to some extent through story or nostalgic references, I really take it as (intended) fan service and a testing ground for the next incarnation.

Personally for the $5 I spent on Other M, I loved it, and I think if they focused on the original 2.5D concept, I would look forward to it. While the newer generation is harking for more Prime, I think a majority of the older generation is clamoring for a 2D title, hopefully Nintendo is listening.

Also, the idea of a longer gameplay, exploration based 2D Metroid is almost an oxymoron IMO, as anytime a development team dedicates its resources on creating a diverse, interconnected 2D world map, the priority is not longevity. Castlevania SotN and the subsequent releases in a similar vein were different in the fact it focused on RPG elements to extend the gameplay, and I would not want to see that in a Metroid game.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']
Also, the idea of a longer gameplay, exploration based 2D Metroid is almost an oxymoron IMO, as anytime a development team dedicates its resources on creating a diverse, interconnected 2D world map, the priority is not longevity. Castlevania SotN and the subsequent releases in a similar vein were different in the fact it focused on RPG elements to extend the gameplay, and I would not want to see that in a Metroid game.[/QUOTE]

Considering one of the major things in the series is to finish the game as fast as possible to get the best ending, what does that say to you. I like exploring, best ending be damned until I do one playthrough my way then if I feel like it I'll do a speed run. That's what I always felt was the oxymoron of the series, you need to explore, just do it with as little resources as possible and as fast as you can, so you can see our strong heroine in a bikini....ok, why?

[quote name='uncle5555']That's what I always felt was the oxymoron of the series, you need to explore, just do it with as little resources as possible and as fast as you can, so you can see our strong heroine in a bikini....ok, why?[/QUOTE]

Because in 1987 there was no Internet so pictures of boobs were hard to come by. That JC Penny catalog only came once a year you know.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'd be happier to see a 2D Metroid be released on the DS. I mean like the GB/GBA games. I so want a Metroid Fusion 2 or Metroid Zero Mission 2! (Remake of Metroid 2: Return of Samus.)[/QUOTE]

I never expect anything good from portable games anymore. GBA had some good games but only because there were no 2D games being made on consoles at the time, so if a developer wanted to make a 2D game it pretty much had to be on GBA.
That's not the case anymore, so the vast majority of games that come out on portable systems are from developers who don't have the talent to make console games. They make games for portable systems where their audience is far more easily impressed.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']NSMB 2 is stale. I bought it today and well it's like why did I spend $40 on this.[/QUOTE]

This is a prime example. I haven't played NSMB 2 (nor do I plan to) because the original was terrible... the Wii game was excellent. The Wii (and WiiU) are now getting great 2D games, the DS (and 3DS) just get crappy ones.

[quote name='Javery']Because in 1987 there was no Internet so pictures of boobs were hard to come by. That JC Penny catalog only came once a year you know.[/QUOTE]
Moe

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Billytwoshoes']I think there is a good chance for another 2/2.5D Metroid in the near future, hopefully it will be part of a combo release on 3DS and Wii U, as Nintendo likes to link up the home console and portable versions with Metroid releases. This just makes sense with the new tablet controller, or to better phrase it, should make sense.

The fact that Other M went with such a diverse play styles (2D, third person, first person) I see it as an experiment to see how the fans would react to its individual parts. Not to mention that practically every Metroid game (except the primes) is referenced to some extent through story or nostalgic references, I really take it as (intended) fan service and a testing ground for the next incarnation.

Personally for the $5 I spent on Other M, I loved it, and I think if they focused on the original 2.5D concept, I would look forward to it. While the newer generation is harking for more Prime, I think a majority of the older generation is clamoring for a 2D title, hopefully Nintendo is listening.

Also, the idea of a longer gameplay, exploration based 2D Metroid is almost an oxymoron IMO, as anytime a development team dedicates its resources on creating a diverse, interconnected 2D world map, the priority is not longevity. Castlevania SotN and the subsequent releases in a similar vein were different in the fact it focused on RPG elements to extend the gameplay, and I would not want to see that in a Metroid game.[/QUOTE]

The gameplay in Other M wasn't really the problem, it was the lame storytelling. Parts of the game itself could have used some tweaking and the way she unlocked powers (being given fucking permission??) was stupif as hell, but as a huge Metroid fan I enjoyed it when I played it, it just wasn't memorable and didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

[quote name='Javery']Metroid Prime is the best Metroid ever (blasphemy!) but the series did go downhill with 2 and 3. If I had to rank them:

Metroid Prime / Super Metroid
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid
Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Metroid: Other M[/QUOTE]

For real, you'd put the original Metroid above Zero Mission? The NES OG is almost unplayable to me because of the horrible save system and the fact that you restart with 30 health no matter what. Farming 6 energy tanks just to go fight a boss just sucks.

I playdd it a ton as a kid and have a ton of respect for the game based on the foundation and legacy it created. But Zero Mission was essentially a Super Metroid style remake of the NES game, and its one of my favorites.

Top Tier
- Super Metroid
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Metroid Prime

Middle Tier
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid Prime 3
- Metroid Prime 2

Low Tier
- Metroid
- Prime Pinball
- Metroid 2
- Hunters

Doesn't Exist Tier
- Other M

[quote name='johnnypark']The gameplay in Other M wasn't really the problem, it was the lame storytelling. Parts of the game itself could have used some tweaking and the way she unlocked powers (being given fucking permission??) was stupif as hell, but as a huge Metroid fan I enjoyed it when I played it, it just wasn't memorable and didn't leave a lasting impression on me.[/QUOTE]
I agree with those points, but because I only invested $5, I figure the 20+ hours of playtime (one 100% normal run and one hard run) that I enjoyed was a great cost to entertainment ratio. If I was a devout fan that paid $40-50 at launch for it, then I would definitely have a different opinion.

[quote name='johnnypark']For real, you'd put the original Metroid above Zero Mission? The NES OG is almost unplayable to me because of the horrible save system and the fact that you restart with 30 health no matter what. Farming 6 energy tanks just to go fight a boss just sucks.

I playdd it a ton as a kid and have a ton of respect for the game based on the foundation and legacy it created. But Zero Mission was essentially a Super Metroid style remake of the NES game, and its one of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

I could be talked out of it. I just played Metroid and had a lot of fun with it considering it is so old. I haven't played Zero Mission since it came out and I remember not being too impressed but maybe my memory is hazy. I think I was still pissed off at Metroid Fusion to properly enjoy it. I guess I know what game I'm playing next!

If they do release a new 2d Metroid, it'll look great, sound great, and most likely be terrible. They will shoehorn gimmicks into that make use of all the Wii U controller's features. And since they've already kind of defined Samus' personality in Other M, I doubt they can go back to her being a silent badass again.

Remakes of older Metriods would be awesome though

[quote name='KingBroly']Top Tier
- Super Metroid
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Metroid Prime

Middle Tier
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid Prime 3
- Metroid Prime 2

Low Tier
- Metroid
- Prime Pinball
- Metroid 2
- Hunters

Doesn't Exist Tier
- Other M[/QUOTE]

Glad to see someone mentioned Prime Pinball, I actually really love that game. I had a 3rd party rumble pack for my DSLite and played the hell out of that game. It would make an excellent eShop game even if they didn't add anything to it, and id totally pay $5 to have it always on my 3DS.

You have to put it somewhere. I still wouldn't classify it as "Metroid" though. It's like saying Link's Crossbow Training is a Zelda game. It's fun, it's there, but it's not really what you define as a game in the series.

[quote name='KingBroly']Top Tier
- Super Metroid
- Metroid Zero Mission
- Metroid Prime

Middle Tier
- Metroid Fusion
- Metroid Prime 3
- Metroid Prime 2

Low Tier
- Metroid
- Prime Pinball
- Metroid 2
- Hunters

Doesn't Exist Tier
- Other M[/QUOTE]

That's very close to how I'd rank the series... except I would drop Prime 3 down one tier and move up Metroid, Metroid 2, and Fusion up one tier. The original Metroid games may be archaic by today's standards, but they were very engrossing back in the day.

I still think Metroid 1 is more replayable than Metroid 2 due to the small retail estate space. While Metroid 2 is known for some of the more important aspects of the series, I feel that Metroid 1 holds up better.

As for Fusion, I like it more each time I play it. I originally didn't like Fusion, having thought it being too difficult and upsetting me for some reason I can't recall. Since then I've come to recognize some of the more unique and admirable aspects of it, such as the SA-X, the level design and teaching of power-ups still being in the level design itself.

Also, having replaying it currently, even though it spawned the bastard child of the series, it makes me realize how inconsistent and incompatible and inconsistent the two really are.

Fusion too difficult? I hated that game because of all of the hand holding. They told you where to go next! Zero Mission does this to a certain extent too which is why I was initially sour on it but I am about 30 minutes in and I'm enjoying it so far.

Disclaimer: My memory is horrible so I might be way off.

Fusion does tell you where to go, but ultimately as the game states, and as you find out later, you're supposed to hate it and that's really the point. But unlike Other M, the game actively tries to keep you engaged and have fun. Some things you have to find on your own though, like the Security Locks. Later on, the game's structure changes where it tries to actively hide things from you, where eventually you have to get 100% item collection before triggering the final gameplay gauntlet. And yes, Fusion is pretty tough. You get hit like a truck in Fusion, even outside of the SA-X. Regular enemies destroy you if you're not careful.

In Zero Mission, the game tells you where to go via optional way points. After the first one however, you can skip them. And if we're going to bitch about games telling you where to go, you might as well throw the Prime games in there as well with the 'disturbance at X' system. Those were really thrown into the game design because while people like to explore games, if they're lost for a long period of time, they're more likely to turn the game off.

[quote name='KingBroly']I still think Metroid 1 is more replayable than Metroid 2 due to the small retail estate space. While Metroid 2 is known for some of the more important aspects of the series, I feel that Metroid 1 holds up better.

As for Fusion, I like it more each time I play it. I originally didn't like Fusion, having thought it being too difficult and upsetting me for some reason I can't recall. Since then I've come to recognize some of the more unique and admirable aspects of it, such as the SA-X, the level design and teaching of power-ups still being in the level design itself.

Also, having replaying it currently, even though it spawned the bastard child of the series, it makes me realize how inconsistent and incompatible and inconsistent the two really are.[/QUOTE]

Agree on Metroid 2, with the exception of the health system in the original. It's unbelievable how easily you can get killed by strong enemies and then restart with 30 health. With save states via the 3DS or an emulator, it's more manageable, but without it, I find it completely unplayable.

I loved the shit out of Metroid 2 when I was a kid. I had to special order it from EB Games in the mall and saved up my allowance for it when I was probably 8. Nintendo Power had a huge spread on it with maps of the 1st half of the game or so, which made it a lot easier to find my way. Super Gameboy support adding a fairly accurate color palette rounded it out for me.

M2 hasn't aged well, though, and the environments look way too similar for how close the camera is on Samus. Oddly enough, because of the graphical limitations of the original Gameboy they had to find a way to show that you had gotten the Varia/Gravity suits and that's where the idea for the larger shoulder pads came from. The game really did lay out the mainstays of the series and set the stage for the wonder that is Super Metroid. I really expected another remake following Zero Mission, and I'm pretty heart-broken it never happened.

[quote name='Javery']Fusion too difficult? I hated that game because of all of the hand holding. They told you where to go next! Zero Mission does this to a certain extent too which is why I was initially sour on it but I am about 30 minutes in and I'm enjoying it so far.

Disclaimer: My memory is horrible so I might be way off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the hand-holding and direction got rid of that sense of wonder and exploration that defined the original first 3 games. Prime did it, too, but the 3D space to explore and side areas made it feel less linear compared to a game like Fusion.

It still plays well on the GBA SP, but if you have the means, I recommend playing it on a PSP. GBA games look downright gorgeous upscaled and expanded to the full size of that screen.

[quote name='johnnypark']It still plays well on the GBA SP, but if you have the means, I recommend playing it on a PSP. GBA games look downright gorgeous upscaled and expanded to the full size of that screen.[/QUOTE]

That's how I play 99% of classic games these days. PSP might be my favorite system ever because of what it isn't supposed to do.

[quote name='Javery']That's how I play 99% of classic games these days. PSP might be my favorite system ever because of what it isn't supposed to do.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Plus, compared to the DS/PSP and beyond, the lack of any suspension or sleep mode makes the GBA as a system feel obsolete by comparison.

[quote name='johnnypark']
Yeah, the hand-holding and direction got rid of that sense of wonder and exploration that defined the original first 3 games. Prime did it, too, but the 3D space to explore and side areas made it feel less linear compared to a game like Fusion. [/QUOTE]

Unless I'm not remembering correctly the lava pits emptying pretty much told you were to go in 2 and in Super Metroid, they did show where you needed to go next on the map, so while you were allowed to explore they made sure you knew where your ultimate goal was.

Metroid has been hand holding for a lot longer than the current iterations, only difference was they didn't do it as blatantly in the earlier games.

They did. If you can manage to get by them all, the last one has a barrier until you take care of all the Metroids. Super Metroid did something similar, but earlier on. If you didn't get Missiles and tried backtracking through Tourian there'd be a Gray Door behind where Mother Brain once stood until you get them.

Super Metroid does have a bit of hand holding early on, but it's pretty well integrated into the game design so a lot of people don't really pick up on it. Your Ceres Tutorial is basically movement and shooting, and when you get to Zebes, you learn about item collection, path finding, and using the items you got to open up more paths and get rewards.

Alright... Zero Mission is awesome. I just got the Speed Booster and I'm having a ton of fun so I'd definitely put it way above the original Metroid...

[quote name='Javery']Alright... Zero Mission is awesome. I just got the Speed Booster and I'm having a ton of fun so I'd definitely put it way above the original Metroid...[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it. Like I said, it's essentially a Super Metroid-style remake of the original. By the end, the story is really fleshed out, but I won't spoil anything. It's awesome, though.

[quote name='johnnypark']Glad to hear it. Like I said, it's essentially a Super Metroid-style remake of the original. By the end, the story is really fleshed out, but I won't spoil anything. It's awesome, though.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is that I've played through this game probably 3 or 4 times. My memory is just horrible.

I beat Zero Mission about 10 years ago. I loved it, but I'm like Javery; It will be like playing the game for the first time again.

Just finished Zero Mission (again). I remember why I don't rank it higher - the part without the suit is annoying as hell and goes on way too long. Still, it is an excellent game and probably deserves to rank in the second tier of Metroid games.

I think Nintendo might not give Metroid the spotlight it has had the pass ten years. Hopefully they focus on more Mario games
just kidding :p
and trying to get a Zelda game out sooner than 5 years into the console's life. Personally I'd rather see them explore a 3D Donkey Kong game or a Star Fox game.

[quote name='Josh5890']I think Nintendo might not give Metroid the spotlight it has had the pass ten years. Hopefully they focus on more Mario games
just kidding :p
and trying to get a Zelda game out sooner than 5 years into the console's life. Personally I'd rather see them explore a 3D Donkey Kong game or a Star Fox game.[/QUOTE]
Donkey fucking Kong 64 2. Make it happen Nintendo. This needs to happen in the worst way. I fucking loved that game.

Also they need a new Star Fox game, but I mean the limitations are endless for a game they could make. Yeah still keep it a flight game, but there are so many things you can do now too.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Donkey fucking Kong 64 2. Make it happen Nintendo. This needs to happen in the worst way. I fucking loved that game.

Also they need a new Star Fox game, but I mean the limitations are endless for a game they could make. Yeah still keep it a flight game, but there are so many things you can do now too.[/QUOTE]

Dear god I never want to collect another colored banana again. I wouldn't mind another 3D DK game but it would have to be radically different than the last one. That game was like 30 hours of nothing but collecting stuff in the same level over and over again.

I'd be up for a new take on Starfox. I hated Star Fox Adventures (probably on the short list of worst games I've ever played) so please, none of that but something cool that combined flying and ground combat missions would be sweet (think Mass Effect 2 or Lego Star Wars III).

bread's done
Back