Street Fighter x Tekken (PS3/360) $18.99/$19.99 at Amazon

Wow, is Amazon actually doing their own, unique sale price on a game, as opposed to just price-matching everyone else's sales, or did I just miss it being $20 somewhere else?

I wish Best Buy would follow suit already

[quote name='sgaldis']Wow, is Amazon actually doing their own, unique sale price on a game, as opposed to just price-matching everyone else's sales, or did I just miss it being $20 somewhere else?[/QUOTE]
They had it at ~$23 last week. Knocking $3 doesnt seem like its too far out there

[quote name='antlp89']I don't think this game is worth it even at $20.

If you really like street fighter AE is a much better game.[/QUOTE]

^^^This

[quote name='breakingcustoms']if the GameFly sale is still going on, you can snag it for $12.99[/QUOTE]

Youll more than likely get a chipped disc if you order from gamefly though as that's what happened to my twisted metal. So if someone doesn't like the game they get and wanted to trade it or sell it in the future, you wouldn't be able to

[quote name='breakingcustoms']if the GameFly sale is still going on, you can snag it for $12.99[/QUOTE]

It's not, and it sold out within a day.

I was actually going to get the PS3 ver for "Bad 80's Cover Mega Man" just to have a goofy fighter, but it was gone before I could pull the trigger. I bet Amazon is clearing them out before DoA 5 and Tekken Tag 2 come out... maybe other retailers will follow suit.

Was going to get it but after reading some of the comments I won't now. My wallet thanks you!!!
depressed

STxT is a good game. I enjoy SF fighters though as well as MK and Blazblue. SSF:AE is also amazing. I really like what Capcom is doing with the Vita version of SFxT which is why I continue to support the PS3 version. Cross-play and cross-buy DLC is win. I'll get all the DLC on PS3 for "free" when I pick up the Vita version of SFxT.

Solid game. Worth it just to see the job Capcom did turning the Namco characters into 2D. While there are some legitimate issues with the game from a pure fighting/balance/design perspective, most of the negativity is because of the DLC cry baby losers. At $20, a good deal IMO.

I'll wait til its drop to $10 brand new thats how I got Marvel vs. Capcom 3 waited til it hit the $10 sweet spot.

I refuse to pay full retail for a fighter especially how funky the pricing on that genre is. One day it's $59.99 next it's $19.99 than they go and release a super duper excellent superb flaubert edition at another $59.99.

considering that you get almost half game with all those locked dlc i wait until it cost 10 or less

[quote name='yobaburp']I refuse to pay full retail for a fighter especially how funky the pricing on that genre is. One day it's $59.99 next it's $19.99 than they go and release a super duper excellent superb flaubert edition at another $59.99.[/QUOTE]

Could you be less informed?

Most fighters don't get an super duper additional version and the ones that do are pretty uncommon. For instance Blazblue went from CT to CS in a year and then it took 2 years to hit CSE. Additionally even if they do make an updated version, they're almost ALWAYS 39.99. This is a lot more reasonable than the typical MSRP you claim.

@ DLC people

I have the DLC and with the exception of Bryan, it's hardly worth the money. Sure it's annoying, but the standard characters are more interesting than the DLC ones.

[quote name='admiralvic']@ DLC people

I have the DLC and with the exception of Bryan, it's hardly worth the money. Sure it's annoying, but the standard characters are more interesting than the DLC ones.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, Lars is pretty damned good and Dudley is a beast. You don't wanna fuck with Cody's frame trap pressure either and Jack-X loves to dish out a shit ton of damage. Nobody on CAG will ever agree they're worth $20, but hey, they are pretty legit characters either way.

i love tekken, but wasnt too thrilled about recent street fighter games, they all feel the same to me... so dunno if i will like this game.

[quote name='distgfx']I dunno, Lars is pretty damned good and Dudley is a beast. You don't wanna fuck with Cody's frame trap pressure either and Jack-X loves to dish out a shit ton of damage. Nobody on CAG will ever agree they're worth $20, but hey, they are pretty legit characters either way.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more the dlc characters are a excellent addition to the game. Its a fun game and lots of people are always online. $20 is a good price.

[quote name='JahMakinHerbz']Youll more than likely get a chipped disc if you order from gamefly though as that's what happened to my twisted metal. So if someone doesn't like the game they get and wanted to trade it or sell it in the future, you wouldn't be able to[/QUOTE]

mine was in mint condition, minus one very very tiny chip...you couldnt even see it unless you got up close and went around the edge

very happy with it :bouncy:

[quote name='limelight022']Hmmmm, the Ultra Turbo Hyper edition must be on the horizon.[/QUOTE]

I hope so, still $20 is tempting but I'm not in a hurry to pick this one up. I can wait for $10 or the complete edition whichever comes first.

[quote name='Havok83']I wish Best Buy would follow suit already

They had it at ~$23 last week. Knocking $3 doesnt seem like its too far out there[/QUOTE]

Wait, was this a sale? This was not highlighted, the 20 off coupons from @gamer would have made this 3 dollars.

[quote name='hypertek']i love tekken, but wasnt too thrilled about recent street fighter games, they all feel the same to me... .[/QUOTE]

But, yet I bet you buy each CoD game released every year, dontchya?
I'm sure each of those feel different to you...

[quote name='yobaburp']than they go and release a super duper excellent superb flaubert edition at another $59.99.[/QUOTE]

You should trademark that joke, I've never heard it before.

[quote name='nixmahn']Wait, was this a sale? This was not highlighted, the 20 off coupons from @gamer would have made this 3 dollars.[/QUOTE]
Those are two separate thoughts in the post you're quoting. The first says that they wish that Best Buy would put the game on sale (a sentiment I share), and the second was a response to another post saying that Amazon had put this game on sale (without matching someone else's sale) recently.

The price at Best Buy over the last two months has never been cheaper than $40.

[quote name='y2kenjination']I'll wait for the Hyper HD Remix, that'll have all the DLC on disc for $19.99.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they've abandoned this one...they also promised not to make another version, and after the gem backlash, they need to keep their word for a while.

thanks, had Ridge Racer Unbounded in cart and for 18. this made it even sweeter under $40 for these two games.

[quote name='Yamato']Might just pick this up..I should probably find out why this has been getting negative reviews first though.[/QUOTE]

It didn't really get any bad reviews. Its has a solid 84 metacritic score. The backlash came from the "internets" due to the dlc being on the disk. There are other issues like in all fighting games, but try it out. Its a very fun game.

I just want to recommend that even at this price, that people don't support this game and the business practices that were involved in making it. This is just my opinion, of course, so anyone is free to just ignore me, but I'd rather people not support a game that has such a terrible case of disc locked content and a company that doesn't care enough about their fans to listen to gameplay issues.

[quote name='MrHellFire']I just want to recommend that even at this price, that people don't support this game and the business practices that were involved in making it. This is just my opinion, of course, so anyone is free to just ignore me, but I'd rather people not support a game that has such a terrible case of disc locked content and a company that doesn't care enough about their fans to listen to gameplay issues.[/QUOTE]

Buy the game if it's something you think you'd enjoy and have fun with. That's what gaming is all about. Please ignore the DLC crybaby losers who want everything in life for free. These same people bend over every year like clockwork to pay $15 for 4 Call of Duty maps that were planned and finished long before the game ever went gold. But hey you downloaded it, so it had to be made after the game released right? Capcom overestimated the general public's intelligence, assuming that people would understand that on disc vs off disc is just a delivery method. Boy were they off by about 50 IQ points.

Then there's people who believe "if it's on the disc, I own it", which is stupid because that would also imply you own the source code, images, etc. I'm a little sympathetic towards this group because not everyone understands or has been exposed to software law, but the bottom line is whether it's discs, cartridges, digital downloads or whatever, you don't own games. You own a license to play them. It has been this way for decades.

But hey DLC cry baby losers, you win. Capcom (and all the companies paying attention) will never be crazy enough to put DLC on disc again. They will happily let you waste time, HD space, and bandwidth downloading it. They are STILL going to plan DLC right from the beginning and finish it way before game release, they are just going to allow you to believe it's post launch or just not say either way. Happy now?

[quote name='Kazuya']Buy the game if it's something you think you'd enjoy and have fun with. That's what gaming is all about. Please ignore the DLC crybaby losers who want everything in life for free. These same people bend over every year like clockwork to pay $15 for 4 Call of Duty maps that were planned and finished long before the game ever went gold. But hey you downloaded it, so it had to be made after the game released right? Capcom overestimated the general public's intelligence, assuming that people would understand that on disc vs off disc is just a delivery method. Boy were they off by about 50 IQ points.

Then there's people who believe "if it's on the disc, I own it", which is stupid because that would also imply you own the source code, images, etc. I'm a little sympathetic towards this group because not everyone understands or has been exposed to software law, but the bottom line is whether it's discs, cartridges, digital downloads or whatever, you don't own games. You own a license to play them. It has been this way for decades.

But hey DLC cry baby losers, you win. Capcom (and all the companies paying attention) will never be crazy enough to put DLC on disc again. They will happily let you waste time, HD space, and bandwidth downloading it. They are STILL going to plan DLC right from the beginning and finish it way before game release, they are just going to allow you to believe it's post launch or just not say either way. Happy now?[/QUOTE]
On the outside chance that you're trying to convince others that their opinions about the DLC may be misguided, you may want to structure your argument so that it's a little less insulting to those same individuals. Otherwise it just looks like you're trolling.

If Capcom's business practices are so vitrioled to you, why not just buy the game used? You can find it for as low as $12.

Kazuya, it's funny you have that name because I used to hate the entire Tekken cast except for him, and SFxT is actually the game to change my opinion of it so much that I bought Tekken Hybrid and am thinking of preordering TTT2.

[quote name='Kazuya']Buy the game if it's something you think you'd enjoy and have fun with. That's what gaming is all about. Please ignore the DLC crybaby losers who want everything in life for free. These same people bend over every year like clockwork to pay $15 for 4 Call of Duty maps that were planned and finished long before the game ever went gold. But hey you downloaded it, so it had to be made after the game released right? Capcom overestimated the general public's intelligence, assuming that people would understand that on disc vs off disc is just a delivery method. Boy were they off by about 50 IQ points.

But hey DLC cry baby losers, you win. Capcom (and all the companies paying attention) will never be crazy enough to put DLC on disc again. They will happily let you waste time, HD space, and bandwidth downloading it. They are STILL going to plan DLC right from the beginning and finish it way before game release, they are just going to allow you to believe it's post launch or just not say either way. Happy now?[/QUOTE]
Normally I'd completely agree with your point of view but in this specific case the amount and nature of the disc locked content does seem egregious. This isn't Mass Effect 3 where there's an extra charge on day 1 for one mission; this is a quarter of the character roster. I'm inclined to agree, for once, with the complaint that the "full experience" of the game is gated behind a substantial extra charge.

I like how I just gave my opinion (and even stated that anyone is free to ignore it) and am immediately attacked as being a crybaby loser. Really shows your maturity level.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Normally I'd completely agree with your point of view but in this specific case the amount and nature of the disc locked content does seem egregious. This isn't Mass Effect 3 where there's an extra charge on day 1 for one mission; this is a quarter of the character roster. I'm inclined to agree, for once, with the complaint that the "full experience" of the game is gated behind a substantial extra charge.[/QUOTE]

While I don't agree, that's a complaint about DLC in general. I'm not a fan of DLC in general, or in app purchases, or other similar crap. And I did not buy the characters for this game. But this is not the first game to have extra characters as DLC (though I would wager 12 is the most).

The reason you gave has some merit, but you know darn well that's not what caused the uproar. The issue was caused because the characters were found on disc, and people felt they owned them and wanted them for free. Period.

I'd argue that the "full experience" for games has been abused for quite some time now...pretty much right when the whole DLC craze took off. I can only hope that next gen things settle down a bit and companies learn from their mistakes. On-disc, off-disc, that barely matters to me. What matters to me is how much (if not, all) of this stuff used to be included for free on-disc. Remember the term "unlockables"? It's something you rarely see nowadays because most unlockables have been replaced with pay DLC.

I remember back in the day you'd just EARN extra missions in a game by finding a secret. Or you EARN the extra costumes and characters by beating the game. Or shoot, in many cases it would just be there like all the extra teams in the old Madden games. Now that same game has you paying real money for cheats! Sure, some games still do that I'm not saying every game doesn't. The last Soul Calibur game (not the newest, the one before it) was a good example of a game that did it right. But I can't help but feel like overall it's going down hill and has been for a while.

I dont think theres anything wrong with this having disc locked content but the amount of characters locked out is too high. What is it like a third of the roster? Capcom saw the backlash, gamers were outraged and this didnt sell quite as well as expected. They could have made things better by releasing a patch to make these characters free or even at a discounted rate an that would have helped improve the growing negative opinion surrounding them and this game

[quote name='Havok83']I dont think theres anything wrong with this having disc locked content but the amount of characters locked out is too high. What is it like a third of the roster? Capcom saw the backlash, gamers were outraged and this didnt sell quite as well as expected. They could have made things better by releasing a patch to make these characters free or even at a discounted rate an that would have helped improve the growing negative opinion surrounding them and this game[/QUOTE]

Again, gamers couldn't care less about the number of characters, they wanted them free because they were on the disc. The game has 43 characters out of the box. There are very few games in the history of fighting games that have that many characters (maybe 4 or 5) and half of those were Capcom games. How many characters is Capcom obligated to give you? 60? 70?

Another thing is, people act like Capcom "locked out" those 12 characters. Capcom did not make those characters out of the goodness of their hearts. If DLC did not exist as it does today, Capcom would have stopped at 43, which is far beyond 99% of fighters ever created. So what the DLC crybabies need to understand is that you were never, ever going to get those characters for free. And that's what this has always been about: entitlement and wanting stuff for free.

Again, gamers couldn't care less about the number of characters, they wanted them free because they were on the disc.

I'm a long time gamer and I care MUCH more that there was such a large number of characters locked out then I do that they were on-disc. If it's done right I could care less about DLC being on-disc...problem is it rarely is.

[quote name='Kazuya']Again, gamers couldn't care less about the number of characters, they wanted them free because they were on the disc. The game has 43 characters out of the box. There are very few games in the history of fighting games that have that many characters (maybe 4 or 5) and half of those were Capcom games. How many characters is Capcom obligated to give you? 60? 70?

[/QUOTE]
I highyl doubt that. Had this not been on the disc, people would still have an issue with nearly a third of the starting roster was DLC

I think its also important to add that if we want to believe what developers tell us, then even the fact that they were on the disc isnt a big deal. Capcom said that although the character polygons and art assets were on the disc, there was no data for their moves or balancing completed when the game launched. A big part of the work for the recent patch was creating the characters gameplay. The game is definitely an expensive one with all the DLC, but it plays amazing in my opinion.

It combines footsies and patient SF traditional play with incredibly easy to link combos. I love that combination.

bread's done
Back