Gamestop: "Vintage Game Business"

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Man, this would honest suck. If this happened then what am I supposed to call them for? Battletoads won't be a joke anymore. :(

#32 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Maybe they made a big buyout of whatever was left of Hollywood Video/Gamecrazys' "Classic Plastic" before the company went into liquidation mode?

That makes more sense as the source for all those old school games.

Yes. Just about all of them, in fact. GameStop bought out and replaced numerous competitors in their rise to power, and a lot of those competitors carried vintage games. I know Funcoland did, I shopped there all the time.

It's entirely possible that GameStop mothballed a lot of the "non-profitable" vintage material they collected from those acquisitions.

Yeah, I remember they got Babbages, Software Etc., and Funcoland in my area. Wikipedia says a bunch of others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamestop

I would think that all the funcoland stock was sold years ago when EB's website used to do their wonderous morning updates with super cheap classic games.

Or did that stop after gamestop bought eb? It's been so long I can't even remember a time before they were all one company.

Yup, I figured all of the "vintage stuff" from all of their acquisitions was long gone by now.

They bought Funcoland back in the day, hence Game Informer magazine came with it.

And if I remember correctly they did at one time start taking trades for 8/16 bit games for awhile, I know I saw them instore a few times when I used to visit fairly frequently back in around 2005-ish.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more collections like the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection on current systems that collect a good majority of the classic titles from the system (excluding 3rd party of course) and the Virtual Console never lived up to its promise and was too expensive as well.

I wouldn't hold your breath for updates for Time Crisis on current gen, they need to reprogram all of them to work with the Move and Guncon 3, since the older lightguns don't work in LCD TV's, I even own the Gunvari collection which has Guncon 2 support and contains all 3 Point Blank games as well as Time Crisis 1. The PS2 was the system for light gun titles, but we'll (almost assuredly) will never see them on current systems because of the need to put lots of work into them to make them playable on today's systems.

Never heard of the Gunvari Collection until now. That would be cool if that was ported to the PS3 in HD! Needs Time Crisis: Project Titan and then I'm really sold.

Man, this would honest suck. If this happened then what am I supposed to call them for? Battletoads won't be a joke anymore. :(

I know it won't be as funny because they'll ask which version.

#33 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Well there's always Atari, Intellivision and Vectrex, think bigger there are many older and obscure systems left to mine that'll provide years of fun prank calls. :lol:

Never heard of the Gunvari Collection until now. That would be cool if that was ported to the PS3 in HD! Needs Time Crisis: Project Titan and then I'm really sold.

Neither had I until I was putting together a definitive Guncon collection on PS2 (none of the Guncon PS1 titles were compatible with the new gun, sound familiar) But as I said its unlikely due to sales vs development on reprogramming the game to work with Move and Guncon 3.

Sega seems to be the only one who seriously supported light gun games this gen on Wii and PSN. Capcom did the RE games, and Namco the light gun king of PS2, released 3 games total (4 if you count the single version of TC4) as I seriously think that TS: Raizing Storm collection sold pitifully bad for them.
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#34 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I hope they have systems. I'd love a Genesis, Hyperstone Heist, a Dreamcast, an OG Xbox and Ninja Gaiden Black (non buggy POS edition)
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#35 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'll still be going to my local stores for older games so doesn't affect me anyways.

I wonder how this will affect the values of these games. If gamestop attempts to sell sonic 1 for about $8, I would imagine people on craigslist will try to sell their copies at a similar price. Especially if their not collectors and do not know the actual value of a game.

#36 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

This is going to end badly. I can't imagine this turning out good, it's just going to inflated everyone else's prices.

#37 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

There are only so many Earhbounds in the world. The vintage market is about hard to find games really. Where is Gamestop going to get these games to make a profit? They will have a shit ton of common games and gouge on whatever single copy of a rare game they can find. This will not be good. It is going to be all crap that can be bought cheaper somewhere else.

Seriously think about it. They aren't sitting on stockpiles of rare games. If they are sitting on stockpiles of vintage games it is copy after copy of stuff that people probably don't want. I wouldn't doubt that they have tons of PS1 games (disc only) from when they cleared those out, but why were they still there? Nobody wanted them.

#38 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Exactly. You know how many times I went over the PS1 dump bin they had all of the mostly disc only stuff in? A TON. I was able to pick out some decent stuff from there, but 90% of it was old sports titles or shovelware.

About the only harder to find title I left behind was the Arc The Lad Collection since it was missing one of the discs and this was after having searched through that bin about 5x to try and find the last disc. Thinking back now, I likely should've bought it to part out to people who needed one of the other discs. But I think at the time each disc was $3-4 after the discount and even though I had a ton of GS credit to pay for it with, I couldn't justify it if it wasn't complete.:bomb:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#39 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

Gamestop finally gets their Battletoads.

#40 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

I remember combing through the ruins of the PSX era in Gamestop bins and being constantly excited then let down right afterwards.

A copy of Ogre Battle in the case?! Oh, sorry, no instructions or stickers or map.

Diablo?! Yeah, we went ahead and sanded it for you so you can return it in a couple days when it doesn't work.

Another big issue is cartridge batteries. Even if Gamestop manages to get ahold of some old RPGs, what are they going to do about dead batteries? I know that they can be replaced but it isn't exactly a simple process. Unless I'm mistaken, it always involves soldering a new battery (after using some oddly shaped screwdrivers to open the cart).

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#41 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

Yeah. That was the main problem with the leftover classic games at GS every time. Regardless of what game it was, nine times outta ten it was disc only and looked like someone had used a belt sander on it(aka how many of their used titles look now;)).

So it was rare to find some gems in the big dump bins. But since those bins were always so packed full, even when you found something that was at least partially complete it would have a cracked case from being smushed between the hundreds of copies of old sports titles and shovelware.

Posted Image

#42 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Which sort of ties back into one of my weird complaints about GS. It's sort of hard to define but it's almost like they don't actually like videogames.

I get it, they have to make money, they have to maximize space in their store and show the most product to have the best chance of selling something. But I couldn't imagine willingly shoving so many of my games into a box to the point that they're breaking.

I realize that it doesn't matter to 95% of "gamers" but I'd be much more inclined to stop by GS if they didn't regularly look like shit. I still shop there from time to time and I'll even trade stuff in as opposed to dealing with eBay and shipping and the like but most of my trips to the stores are very brief as I've already decided what I want and how much it will cost before I go to the store. If they had nice display cases, less obtrusive price tags, and fewer godawful commercials playing in endless-loop mode, I'd probably spend more money there.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#43 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

But you said it yourself, condition doesn't seem to really matter to 95% of their customers. If it did, they might change things a bit. But we as nitpickers don't really matter since after all we're only 5% of their business.

But the price tags have gotten easier to take off, at least if they haven't been on there for over a year anyway. Most of the time as long as you can get an edge/corner of the sticker up you can slowly peel the rest off without leaving much(if any) residue.

Posted Image

#44 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:36 AM

Knowing Gamestops' usual 'quality' of their pre-owned games, I'd venture a guess it's more ripped/stained/faded label disc only/cart only copies that look like they were dropped in the bedpan of a person with dysentery repeatedly to coat all portions of it and left to dry in the hot summer sun.

But maybe that's my extreme dislike of the chain showing.;)

Bingo. GS as a corporation doesn't get 'quality' because they're targeting the average consumer who might not care... not so much for the vintage collector. This will undoubtedly fail when they offer vintage collectors some overpriced games with scratched up discs in generic cases covered in random stickers. Hell, they might not even have cases...

#45 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Almost every store in my area has been getting rid of the cases for PS2 & DS games because they don't have the room (and getting rid of GC altogether). Unless every item is only going to be sold as cart/disc only, I have no idea how they would be able to do this in stores.

538822.png

#46 jkam

jkam

Smash It Up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Great more "Vintage" games that will be destroyed by Gamestop.

jkam2.png

Quitter (My Band)    -    Trade List    -    Join Bing Rewards

#47 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Gamestop has already done their best to destroy the collectibility of many systems (a good amount of their stores trashed the boxes for their remaining used Gamecube games and also threw out the boxes for their PS2, DS, and now even 3DS games). They're pretty much a collector's enemy, though even if their vintage stuff appealed to a casual audience they have way more other places to for their retro fix online (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, compilations, etc.)

#48 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Gamestop has already done their best to destroy the collectibility of many systems (a good amount of their stores trashed the boxes for their remaining used Gamecube games and also threw out the boxes for their PS2, DS, and now even 3DS games). They're pretty much a collector's enemy, though even if their vintage stuff appealed to a casual audience they have way more other places to for their retro fix online (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, compilations, etc.)

I have to agree that Gamestop is collector's nightmare when it comes to them throwing away cases/case art/manuals. When I heard that PS2 games were going the disc only path. I stopped buying PS2 games until the Buy 2 Get 2 free type deals kicked in.

I don't consider myself a collector, but I like to have the case art and manual in a case. According to a former Gamestop employee, I'm one of "those people." :roll:

That reminds me I might start buying Virtual Console games on the Wii.
My luck I won't find an SNES copy of Super Metroid, Harvest Moon, and Super Mario RPG. (Just noticed that Harvest Moon for the N64 isn't on the Virtual Console. I'd buy a 3DS port of that game.)

Hopefully sales will tell game companies to port the rest of their vintage games to current generations.

#49 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

The future does not bode well for this. Lololol.

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#50 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

I'm confused as to how they'll do this... every GS is my area is just package and there's simply no room to expand. Even after they started throwing out DS cases/manuals. I just can't see where they could hold classic games.

But honestly, if they do, I think it might be a good thing. It'll be some competition for the mom & pop places here. Plus, there could be deals to be had during B2G1F sales and whatnot.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#51 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm confused as to how they'll do this... every GS is my area is just package and there's simply no room to expand. Even after they started throwing out DS cases/manuals. I just can't see where they could hold classic games.

I believe their current plan is to sell vintage games only on-line from their website. We are not going to be seeing a resurgence of classic games in GameStop stores. For the time being, the vicious grind of only-the-latest-systems will continue. If you want vintage games through GameStop, it is going to be through their on-line portal. Expect zero flexibility in pricing, ridiculous pricing that is not in keeping with actual value, and very poor service.

#52 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

I believe their current plan is to sell vintage games only on-line from their website. We are not going to be seeing a resurgence of classic games in GameStop stores. For the time being, the vicious grind of only-the-latest-systems will continue. If you want vintage games through GameStop, it is going to be through their on-line portal. Expect zero flexibility in pricing, ridiculous pricing that is not in keeping with actual value, and very poor service.

Ah, I see. I expected the games to be in store since that's where they'll be taking them in.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#53 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Ah, I see. I expected the games to be in store since that's where they'll be taking them in.

New Joystiq article expands on details

Yes, this article confirms that the Vintage game initiative is going to be an on-line thing. Apparently the retail stores are going to start accepting dated product, but all of this will be shipped to warehouses and then sold on-line, and not at the retail stores themselves. In terms of efficiency, this is actually a pretty good idea. The retail stores are the most convenient means for them to accept this kind of product. And processing the product in a central location and selling it on-line would allow them to maintain tighter control without interfering with their current retail model.

Possibly the most interesting thing to come out of this article is the possibility of seeing re-made classic systems. Apparently GameStop is in talks with console manufacturers of yore and exploring the possibility of re-designed classic systems for sale in their stores. There are already plenty of fami-clones out there, but it would be nice to see an officially licensed version from Nintendo or Sega. (and possibly one with better build quality)

At the same time, I can't help but feel that this is a very, very bad thing for collectors. (and the vintage market in general) We've all seen how effective GameStop can be at buying used games. Now imagine that same business model applied to the vintage market. It's clear from this article that GameStop is NOT currently sitting on a stockpile of classic NES, SNES, and GENESIS games. If this thing really goes into effect, it won't be long before they are sitting on such a stockpile. They will rapidly gain control over the very limited supply of vintage games. (and by extension, the price of vintage games)

#54 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

^Thanks for posting the article Richard Kain. I agree, this has the potential to be a bad thing for the vintage market.

Gamestop won't go into this unless they fell like they can make money and they are very effective at buying used games. The fact that these games are not being made any more means that they will be able to control the supply that much sooner. Once they become the place to find these items, they can manipulate prices and trade values as they see fit.

Gamestop preparing for the xbox 720 going all digital.

There may be some truth to this as well. If the console makers only sell digital content, Gamestop will have space in their retail locations as download codes and point cards take up little to no room. If this does happen, everything that has a copy that you can put your hands on will be classified as "vintage/retro". I think they will continue to sell accessories.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#55 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

At the same time, I can't help but feel that this is a very, very bad thing for collectors. (and the vintage market in general) We've all seen how effective GameStop can be at buying used games. Now imagine that same business model applied to the vintage market. It's clear from this article that GameStop is NOT currently sitting on a stockpile of classic NES, SNES, and GENESIS games. If this thing really goes into effect, it won't be long before they are sitting on such a stockpile. They will rapidly gain control over the very limited supply of vintage games. (and by extension, the price of vintage games)

That's a very good point... instead of selling games at a yard/garage sale, thrift stores or even donating them, people now have the option to trade them into GS. Yes, eBay always existed but a lot of people don't go that route.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#56 Olengie

Olengie

Yukari & Rise are the Best Girls.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

We're pretty much screwed then. :lol:

gallery_349297_8234_6637.jpg

Designed By Lilchiji

Spoiler

Spoiler

#57 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

There may be some truth to this as well. If the console makers only sell digital content, Gamestop will have space in their retail locations as download codes and point cards take up little to no room.

Yes, that does strike me as a likely explanation for this new interest in vintage games. A transition to a much more digitally-focused marketplace could absolutely ruin GameStop. While they have made some motions to move into that space, they are ill prepared for such a change, and that space is already filled with far more capable competitors. Steam is already dominating the PC market hard, and they are savvy enough not to let GameStop into that space. The console manufacturers all have their own digital stores, and aren't about to let GameStop have any of that action.

Vintage games are a market that GameStop is actually equipped to compete in. GameStop has never been the best place for people to sell their used games. There are numerous alternatives that offer better mark up for those looking to unload older software. It's just that GameStop has always been the easiest and most convenient place to sell your used games. That's what gives them an edge.

The worst part is, I could actually seem them pulling this off if they played their cards right.

#58 morrodox

morrodox

Hedonistic Iconoclast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yes, this article confirms that the Vintage game initiative is going to be an on-line thing. Apparently the retail stores are going to start accepting dated product, but all of this will be shipped to warehouses and then sold on-line, and not at the retail stores themselves.

And you can just tell they're not going to provide unique descriptions of each item, which is kind of essential for collectors. Does that SNES Chrono Trigger include the box and instructions? Guessing the online price will be the same regardless. Ugh.

#59 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Possibly the most interesting thing to come out of this article is the possibility of seeing re-made classic systems. Apparently GameStop is in talks with console manufacturers of yore and exploring the possibility of re-designed classic systems for sale in their stores. There are already plenty of fami-clones out there, but it would be nice to see an officially licensed version from Nintendo or Sega. (and possibly one with better build quality)

Mother of god.

If they can get old systems released that will run (well) on new TVs, I'll be so happy.

#60 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

The worst part is, I could actually see them pulling this off if they played their cards right.

Me too.:cry:
-Trying to think of something creative.-