Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#8731 G_freemanX

G_freemanX

HAF LAFE 3 pls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

So, the deals starting tomorrow are??

#8732 Das_Regal

Das_Regal

It's Pizza Time!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I too caved on TSW even though $15 seemed out of my range. Tony priced it perfectly, I'm guessing, to lure us :( Evil genius!

#8733 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

This entire debate is irrelevant. Don't use Steam for MMO/F2Ps.

Why? Steam forces you to use ONE account. Once it is linked, it's linked for good. There is no known way to change it. You might contact Steam support though! lol.

And why should you buy TSW now?

1. It was $5 on GMG because it was a subscription game. It isn't a subscription game anymore; it won't be that price again for a great while.
2. The initiate pack is $15 by itself, and the coming issue #5 add on will be $5.
3. Sure, wait until January hoping it will be on the Editor's Choice list. Then you can buy it for $5 off $15, and only get the base game. Awesome!
4. Zombies.

Also, if you want Steam community features in TSW, just add it to Steam after you install it. That way you have all the perks of Steam, less DRM, and avoid cemented account linking. Again, don't use Steam for MMO/F2Ps.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#8734 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Spoiler
4. Zombies.
Spoiler

I don't like zombies.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#8735 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

That's not true for a lot of MMOs. A lot of them are just glorified launchers that you don't even have to connect to Steam at all. Fairly certain I've played a handful of Sony F2Ps and all I've used to log into those were my Station IDs. THe only one I can think of that linked directly was Spiral Knights.

Though I don't know why many people would need multiple accounts for an MMO in the first place, especially F2P ones.

#8736 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

geez.... whine whine whine.

People have opinions. As much as we have to endure the annoying IS THIS ON STEAM BECAUSE THAT IS ALL I USE AND EVEN THOUGH THIS IS MY OWN HANG UP I REFUSE TO DO EVEN CURSORY RESEARCH INTO THE SUBJECT OR EVEN READ A FEW PAGES BACK INTO THE THREAD WHERE THE EXACT QUESTION FOR THE EXACT GAME WAS ALREADY ANSWERED every other page (at least) I am fine with people posting their thoughts on why Steam might be unnecessary or how someone can integrate a game into their Steam list.

Agreed, to an extent - we all you have our own opinions and should be able to express them.
We can all disagree and still have great conversations about DRM, game-clients, game philosophies, game design & opinions on games themselves here.

Where the "extent" ends - Amazon DVG sometimes does things no other digital store does.

Only time it's really clear what DRM is used - that is when a dev/pub says their game uses a certain DRM period everywhere. Example - when a dev announces Steamworks everywhere on the PC; like both Skyrim and Deus Ex: HR might force Steam on you PERIOD; or an EA-owned company has a game, you know it'll flat-out use Origin PERIOD.

Sometimes, it ain't really too clear on the DRM, anymore; especially if a game has multiple versions at different outlets - i.e. retail version might use Origin (KOA:R); another version sold on Steam might just use Steam only for DRM and not use Origin (KOA:R); etc etc. This is when it gets confusing.
And Amazon getting numerous different versions now - this is where it can gets even more confusing for some.

See, Amazon DVG might....
1. ...Get only Steam-versions for a game (Hotline Miami on Amazon DVG is Steam-required; GOG sells it DRM-FREE);
2. ...OR get Non-Steam versions for a game (Risen 1 - DRM-FREE);
3. ...OR sometimes sell even both Non-Steam and Steam versions for some of their games a lot (see Max Payne 3). Most other digital places won't even think of doing such a thing and catering to the Steam fanbase AND Non-Steam fanbase.

Since Amazon's willing to sell different DRM versions, THEY should be the ones responsible for specifying exactly on a game-page what DRM version(s) they are selling right up front; and make it easy for the user to select the version the want if there's more than one DRM version available to them.

Some people genuinely don't know they can just add a game onto their Steam list so maybe that will push them over the edge.

I try to categorize those Non-Steam game into their own category Non-Steam. Most other client-programs (Origin, GameStop PC App, etc) don't have the functionality Steam has - NOT EVEN CLOSE!

If other people want to post how it offends them when other people do this and how they find it unnecessary, they are free to do so as well. I will say it is far from personal or even anti-Steam and they really shouldn't take offense to it, but they are free to do so.

I just like to keep my DRM layers down as much as possible, if possible....especially if I'm spending good money on a product.

On something that is really cheap or it is much cheaper somewhere than anywhere else - eh, I might not care so much.

#8737 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

That's not true for a lot of MMOs. A lot of them are just glorified launchers that you don't even have to connect to Steam at all.

Though I don't know why many people would need multiple accounts for an MMO in the first place, especially F2P ones.

Every MMO/F2P I've come across has you "link" your account from the MMO/F2P company to your Steam account as soon as you set things up (launcher or not). Once this is linked, you cannot change it. I'd love to know which games don't behave this way, because I haven't seen a single one that doesn't thus far.

And as for multiple accounts, there are always reasons. Just off the top of my head, new accounts on Mabinogi give you a deluxe(?) character card that allows you full customization options on the character you create, and all the cards after that only give you limited options. Depends if it matters to the user, of course, but there are often reasons to have alternate accounts.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#8738 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Every MMO/F2P I've come across has you "link" your account from the MMO/F2P company to your Steam account as soon as you set things up (launcher or not). Once this is linked, you cannot change it. I'd love to know which games don't behave this way, because I haven't seen a single one that doesn't thus far.

And as for multiple accounts, there are always reasons. Just off the top of my head, new accounts on Mabinogi give you a deluxe(?) character card that allows you full customization options on the character you create, and all the cards after that only give you limited options. Depends if it matters to the user, of course, but there are often reasons to have alternate accounts.

OK, maybe I'm dense, or maybe it's been said in the encyclopedic like post in the last few pages, but why is an MMORG being linked to "one" Steam account a bad thing. Don't flame, I'm genuinely asking.

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#8739 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

OK, maybe I'm dense, or maybe it's been said in the encyclopedic like post in the last few pages, but why is an MMORG being linked to "one" Steam account a bad thing. Don't flame, I'm genuinely asking.

To some people it might not matter, but I've played a variety of MMORPGs over the years and there are usually reasons to have multiple accounts. It's also very common on a lot of F2P games for accounts to be "auto-banned" for nonsense reasons due to updates to the hack protection programs. You can of course contact support, but most of the time support is really terrible with MMOs. If your account is hardcoded? Very annoying.

Basically, the reasons against using Steam for MMOs far outweighs the reasons for using it. At least in my opinion. Especially when you can just add the game to Steam and get the community aspect with none of the other nonsense.

Hope that explains it.

bZ2g3eF.png

#8740 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

need....thq medley....NOW!

#8741 teknikalei

teknikalei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

I was curious about that when I read it also - the answer I came up with (though I'm definitely not an expert) is that there may be some kind of secondary market for selling accounts with high level characters, similar to WoW. Just a guess on my part though.

#8742 kaydigi

kaydigi

BK All Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

What's on sale tomorrow?

#8743 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

I was curious about that when I read it also - the answer I came up with (though I'm definitely not an expert) is that there may be some kind of secondary market for selling accounts with high level characters, similar to WoW. Just a guess on my part though.

Never done that myself, but I guess that may matter to some as well with some games.

All in all, it's just really restrictive and can lead to annoyances while not giving you the options you should have. Or maybe I'm just weird and make different accounts.

bZ2g3eF.png

#8744 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

What's on sale tomorrow?

Tony said he was at some charity function today so might not be back tonight. I believe he said this upcoming week is when the big/crazy Christmas deals would start.

#8745 jatan11t

jatan11t

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Tony said he was at some charity function today so might not be back tonight. I believe he said this upcoming week is when the big/crazy Christmas deals would start.

He said there would be a major OP update today. Just have to wait a bit I guess.

#8746 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Couldnt resist anymore. Bit on TSW, hopefully I can convince my buddy that I turned into a CAG to bite too

#8747 UW_Shocks

UW_Shocks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

I hope so!
STEAM Winter Sale should be starting this Thursday [always starts before Xmas]. So the timing for Amazon's sale should be anytime now.

A very cool Skyrim Mod:

Falskaar

http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/37994/

#8748 bubzers

bubzers

Derpy Derpy Doo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Tony said he was at some charity function today so might not be back tonight.

that's not an excuse! i mean...starving children in africa??? please! i want to know about cheap games!!!

Spoiler

76561198025510545.png

#8749 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

I was totally in agreement with you until the spoiler!

#8750 TheHeretic

TheHeretic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Tony,

Any chance the PSN $20 is getting more stock soon? It's currently out of stock:

http://www.amazon.co...g=amazon042f-20

Edited by TheHeretic, 17 December 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#8751 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Then when people try to explain why they prefer their games on Steam they get a come back with 'But you can make a shortcut and do x y and Z and A B C! You still don't need it to activate on Steam!'

It strikes me that it would help an awful lot if one could add a non-Steam game to Steam and have Steam keep track of where it is for you. It doesn't have to be full integration, just enough so that when I do a system reinstall and reinstall Steam, I can access my list with links to where my other games are. Otherwise I'm with Motoki here--adding a non-Steam game to Steam just isn't the same thing in terms of the massive usefulness of keeping track of what I have available.

I of course see no good reason for Steam to want to actually provide that functionality.

#8752 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

It strikes me that it would help an awful lot if one could add a non-Steam game to Steam and have Steam keep track of where it is for you. It doesn't have to be full integration, just enough so that when I do a system reinstall and reinstall Steam, I can access my list with links to where my other games are. Otherwise I'm with Motoki here--adding a non-Steam game to Steam just isn't the same thing in terms of the massive usefulness of keeping track of what I have available.

I of course see no good reason for Steam to want to actually provide that functionality.

We could also say that in general, Windows itself should do a MUCH better job of finding all games and making your Game Library for you when you install one.
When installing Non-Steam games, one should pay attention to where it tells you it'll install (as long as it tells you, of course) or put it where you want!
It the game doesn't create a shortcut for you - you should jump to that folder and create one yourself; and of course toss it onto the Desktop.

When adding a Non-Steam game over Steam - you actually get that big Non-Steam Program List that tells you where all these programs it found and where they are actually located! It tells you the path in the "LOCATION" Area right there!
Once added, if you need to find it - right-click on a Non-Steam game; and click Properties; and you can see where the Non-Steam game's located at.

I try to keep my Non-Steam games in their own "Non-Steam Category" over Steam.

#8753 trogoldito

trogoldito

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

The TSW installer said I only needed 15gb to install. A few hours later my pc starts giving me error messages because my C drive is full. Turns out the installer downloaded over 24 gb of data.

If only the installer would have told me this I would not have installed on my 128gb ssd drive. WTH Funcom, all sorts of problems getting this game going for me.

I've got a strong feeling the illuminati do not want me playing this.
Posted Image

#8754 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

That's not true for a lot of MMOs. A lot of them are just glorified launchers that you don't even have to connect to Steam at all. Fairly certain I've played a handful of Sony F2Ps and all I've used to log into those were my Station IDs. THe only one I can think of that linked directly was Spiral Knights.

This is by and large correct. Guild Wars and Global Agenda, the two MMO's I've played through Steam both work this way. It seems the games with their own account framework and launcher that at one point were not completely F2P are more likely to just have a U/P login screen.

We could also say that in general, Windows itself should do a MUCH better job of finding all games and making your Game Library for you when you install one.
When installing Non-Steam games, one should pay attention to where it tells you it'll install (as long as it tells you, of course) or put it where you want!
It the game doesn't create a shortcut for you - you should jump to that folder and create one yourself; and of course toss it onto the Desktop.

Games are more of a happy exclusive for Windows than something that they consider a major focus of the OS. That said, the framework is in place to do this in Games Explorer, but it doesn't matter if no one uses it. My Games Explorer currently shows 39 games; Steam alone is showing 301 installed. Don't blame Windows, blame the devs :).

I also put all my Steam games where I want using symlinks, though there is a built-in feature for it, and have no desire to have a desktop covered in icons or a folder/folder hierarchy to find the game I want. Another area where it's great that I have the option to do it my way and you yours.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#8755 shaggyc

shaggyc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Show me on the doll where this thread touched you.

This is why we need these arguments. Looking for listings of the new deals and finding this and laughing so my family thinks im crazy totally makes it worth wading through the conversation. :-)
Posted Image

#8756 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:16 AM

OK. But that has nothing to do with my problem of wanting to easily locate all of my games after a system rebuild or when getting a new system. I install Steam and get all of my Steam games, but then I have to run all over grabbing whatever else.

What I was saying is it would be nice if, when adding a non-Steam game to Steam, I can add some persistent information that allows me to keep track of where else out there on the net my games are.

#8757 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

OK. But that has nothing to do with my problem of wanting to easily locate all of my games after a system rebuild or when getting a new system. I install Steam and get all of my Steam games, but then I have to run all over grabbing whatever else.

What I was saying is it would be nice if, when adding a non-Steam game to Steam, I can add some persistent information that allows me to keep track of where else out there on the net my games are.

Ahhhh, I totally missed your point entirely!
I get what you're saying now.

Something like that would be nice - but I'd doubt Steam would do that, since they probably want you to always get Steam-versions.

EDIT:
I'd guess, you could always start w/ Google and search for updates, mods, etc;
and check any of your accounts w/ other digital stores for full-blown redownloads.

#8758 G_freemanX

G_freemanX

HAF LAFE 3 pls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

I want to know the deals for tomorrooow! Is there a list on another forum maybe?

#8759 Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

He said there would be a major OP update today. Just have to wait a bit I guess.

I hope so!
STEAM Winter Sale should be starting this Thursday [always starts before Xmas]. So the timing for Amazon's sale should be anytime now.

that's not an excuse! i mean...starving children in africa??? please! i want to know about cheap games!!!

Spoiler

I want to know the deals for tomorrooow! Is there a list on another forum maybe?

Hey guys,

No updates on any forums yet. I just got back from my function. I'm going to take a nap, wake up, and start updating.

Tony,

Any chance the PSN $20 is getting more stock soon? It's currently out of stock:

PSN $20 Online Code

Checking.

Cheers,
Tony
Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#8760 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

@TONY
Does that THQ Bundle w/ Space Marine in it for $7.49 start tomorrow?