Photo
- - - - -

Amazon PCDD $12.49 Walking Dead ($7.49 after coupon)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18397 replies to this topic

#10231 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

Is DNF THAT bad? I know it is not worth of the name... but is a bad game itself?

yes (it made me wish I was at work)

#10232 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Except that it isn't "damn fine", nor is it an "old fasion fps game" - and that's the problem. It's lacking some of the features that made DN3D so appealing: regular (non-regenerating) health, multiple paths through a level, loads of secrets, loads of guns, and really solid gunplay.

It's worth a dollar or so imo (I paid $1 for it after promo coupon, and I don't regret it.)

any game is worth a dollar if you play it the problem is it isn't worth the time it takes to play it

#10233 BernardoOne

BernardoOne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

DNF was one of the most boring games I ever played. Its so dull and repetitive.

#10234 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

yes

(See, not even worth capitalization or punctuation.)

IMO, what makes DNF bad is that they split up the shooting parts with gimmicky platforming, lame jokes, pointless wandering, vehicles, etc. Couple that with regenerating health (ego), 4 gun limit (use to be 2), and questionable boss fights and it slides into being a bad game. The crude humor doesn't do it any favors, either. The writers didn't seem to understand what made old Duke funny and packed it with lame sexual and toilet humor in a feeble attempt to be edgy.

DNF's jokes would have been funny 10 years ago. In fact, they were. Now it just seems like a really bad attempt at low-brow humor. There is not a single redeeming feature about the game and it just sucks that those die-hard fans who waited over a decade were treated with this poor excuse for a game.

The problem with Duke is that manly stuff is not politically correct these days, that's why it fell out of favor, other than that, it's one damn fine old fashion fps game.

With full acknowledgement that DNF isn't that great of a game... I always find myself arguing this point: I've played a hell of a lot worse.

It isn't a fundamentally broken game and parts of it are entertaining. Yes there are parts that are tedious as well, but all in all it's not a horrible shooter. Certainly not at the bottom of the genre. It is my opinion that it is simply a lightning rod for hate. The way people go on and on about it, you'd thing that it was irredeemably bad.

I like some good ol' shooters, I find Painkiller (Black Edition) awesome, but I don't know why I can't get into Serious Sam, and I just played once, a loong time ago. I watched videos on the new ones, but they have something that doesn't fit to me.

Just saw some DNF videos... seems boring. Really, if you try to be an old shooter you need at least 9 weapons! And no regen, of course. I'll stay away from it, unless is a gift on a bundle

Thanks!

#10235 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

Just saw some DNF videos... seems boring. Really, if you try to be an old shooter you need at least 9 weapons! And no regen, of course. I'll stay away from it, unless is a gift on a bundle

Yeah some of the design decisions are astonishing given its roots in the old-school FPS genre.

One of the most enjoyable things about the entire game is playing through it and seeing where the pieces fit together... the stopping and starting of work on some of the levels is almost palpable. And the version I bought came with a "making of DNF" video which was a real treat to watch after having just played it. It was like watching a History channel documentary on a disaster from which you just couldn't look away. :D

76561197971332172.png

#10236 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

any game is worth a dollar if you play it the problem is it isn't worth the time it takes to play it

It isn't anywhere near that bad. I've played a few hours of it and didn't come out thinking it was a waste of my time.

#10237 Gvaz

Gvaz

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

Is DNF THAT bad? I know it is not worth of the name... but is a bad game itself?

Yes.
CPU: i5 3750k @ 4.2GHz | RAM: DDR3 8GB (9-9-9-24) | GPU: ATI HD4890 @ 1920x1200
Posted Image

#10238 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

It isn't anywhere near that bad. I've played a few hours of it and didn't come out thinking it was a waste of my time.

Yes.

See... right there?

it's a pretty polarizing game. Some people immediately loathe the game. Others (I suspect) latch onto that group loathing. Other people find that... it's not quite the apocalyptic turd pile that some claim it to be.

76561197971332172.png

#10239 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

i beat it and did
but I just read someone saying you can carry 4 guns NOW
when I played you only had two and having 4 would actually definitely at least make it playable

#10240 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

yes there are greatly differing opinions on the game
is it worth $1 or not?

#10241 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

i beat it and did
but I just read someone saying you can carry 4 guns NOW
when I played you only had two and having 4 would actually definitely at least make it playable

I found the 2 gun thing to be quite off-putting as well. It almost seemed pointless as the levels were literally littered with guns once you started the killing. The artificial restriction was not a good design decision (imagine that!) but nowhere near as infuriating as it was in Bulletstorm where weapon juggling was supposed to be the entire point of the game.

76561197971332172.png

#10242 forthenguyen

forthenguyen

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

It'd be nice if we could spend the EC credit now. I want TWD for $7.50 and I doubt it'll be any less than $15 in January.

#10243 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

Eh, I guess it's worth $1 -- you'll get some entertainment out of it. Hard to judge the value of a dollar. Though if you asked if you should buy it for a dollar versus something like Zeno Clash I'd say Zeno Clash hands down.

#10244 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

It'd be nice if we could spend the EC credit now. I want TWD for $7.50 and I doubt it'll be any less than $15 in January.

I kinda feel exactly opposite. Pretty sure it'll be at least $12.50.

#10245 Fatdude

Fatdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Btw why there isnt a Dragon Age 2 seal this year.Last year it was quite cheap but i missed the sale.

#10246 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

Public service to prevent people from playing such an atrocity.

#10247 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

Any preview of the new sale Tony? :D

#10248 espy

espy

Original Transported Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Eh, I guess it's worth $1 -- you'll get some entertainment out of it. Hard to judge the value of a dollar. Though if you asked if you should buy it for a dollar versus something like Zeno Clash I'd say Zeno Clash hands down.

This place is so cheap that we are discussing at length if this game is worth $1.

#10249 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:21 AM

Posted Image

#10250 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

This place is so cheap that we are discussing at length if this game is worth $1.

yes
it is a wonderful wonderful place

#10251 BernardoOne

BernardoOne

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:24 AM

This. I keep skipping the deals on Dragon Age pack because it comes with DA2.

#10252 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

I see you price matched Anno 2070 to Steam's price. Can you also match the expansion: Anno 2070: Deep Ocean? Steam has it for $14.99.

#10253 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Do the Editor's Choice credits stack? I have about 10 so could I put $50 towards say Borderlands 2?

#10254 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Do the Editor's Choice credits stack? I have about 10 so could I put $50 towards say Borderlands 2?

No.

This should be in the OP or something right next to flash deals and coupons don't get price matched.

#10255 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

No.

This should be in the OP or something right next to flash deals and coupons don't get price matched.

People would just ignore it and ask anyway.

#10256 aShufflinZombie

aShufflinZombie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

No.

Alright thank you. I thought the wording in the e-mails from amazon was confusing.

#10257 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Well I just finished Blades of Time on Normal (which unlocks hard), I have had the Limited Edition since the summer sale @ $11.24. I love it. The last/part ending is great. The Swamp DLC (that you get from the Limited Edition) is okay -- gameplay it's kinda meh, but it fills out a part of the story. The additional $1.24 for the LE, well if you like the game you can't complain that hard. If you're strapped for cash, just get the standard edition. I look forward to playing it through again on hard.

i just meant that since borderlands is older i think spec ops the line is a better deal for the same price
since we can all agree duke nukem is completely wothless and a piece of your soul may even die just knowing that you own it

I love both BL1 and Spec Ops. Spec Ops has a great story but only 12 hours of gameplay. Borderlands 1 I have 128 steam hours on.

For game play time, Borderlands 1 is the the choice hands down. I still highly recommend Spec Ops for the story as well. I haven't played BL2. I paid $7.50 for BL1 GOTY and $25 for Spec Ops with Bioshock 1 & 2.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#10258 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

See... right there?

it's a pretty polarizing game. Some people immediately loathe the game. Others (I suspect) latch onto that group loathing. Other people find that... it's not quite the apocalyptic turd pile that some claim it to be.

I'd like to know how much of the hate is from it being a Duke Nukem game, the ridiculously long length of development, and eventual disappointment.

I think that quite a bit of the hate is from fans, (who feel cheated out of a decent sequel to a game that they really liked,) and, had it not been a Duke game, the common opinion would have been "passable, whatever" rather than "HATEHATEHATE".

I haven't played DN3D, and therefore wasn't a fan, nor did I know about DNF until 2009 - all that I knew about the game came from the hate that I heard after the demo was released. Therefore, I went into the game expecting it to be horrendous, and when it wasn't, I came out thinking that it wasn't too bad... it certainly wasn't great, but neither was it bad as I kept reading. Conversely, I assume, Duke fans went into the game expecting it to be awesome, and when it wasn't, came out thinking that it was abysmal.

#10259 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

I'd like to know how much of the hate is from it being a Duke Nukem game, the ridiculously long length of development, and eventual disappointment.

I think that quite a bit of the hate is from fans, (who feel cheated out of a decent sequel to a game that they really liked,) and, had it not been a Duke game, the common opinion would have been "passable, whatever" rather than "HATEHATEHATE".

That's probably true to some extent. It deserves being bashed a bit because you have to compare it to games released during that same time period... and it clearly belongs in another time.

That being said, I think there was a build up of toxicity that was just ready to be unleashed. You can read it in professional reviews where proper analysis was almost transformed into giddy delight at turning clever euphemisms and writing biting analogies. It was positively devoured.

76561197971332172.png

#10260 tham1988

tham1988

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

I haven't played DN3D, and therefore wasn't a fan, nor did I know about DNF until 2009 - all that I knew about the game came from the hate that I heard after the demo was released. Therefore, I went into the game expecting it to be horrendous, and when it wasn't, I came out thinking that it wasn't too bad... it certainly wasn't great, but neither was it bad as I kept reading. Conversely, I assume, Duke fans went into the game expecting it to be awesome, and when it wasn't, came out thinking that it was abysmal.

I can assure you my hate for the game has nothing do with the name duke nukem being on the game
but I did try duke nukem forever the week of release so my expectations had not been lowered by reviews