Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

First unboxing video:

WakaBrea.png

#33 lochdoun

lochdoun

Coast to Coast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Weird that it doesn't come with an HDMI cable...
Currently playing: :pc: Tropico 4 | :360: Reckoning

#34 joeboosauce

joeboosauce

Snarf! Get in the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I thought this new slim model was going to come out with a 16 flash memory at $200. Now it looks like only europe will get it and it will cost 229 euros witch is basically $300. I just don't get it. Plus with it being a top loader and having flash memory I think that the risk of hardware failure would drop dramatically.

Yeah, I've seen European commenters pissed off. This model will cost as much as the 160GB model! This is a price hike! Sony can't be that stupid... can they? They must have some aggresive holiday pricing in mind. Last BF they had the 160GB for $200 + 2 games and most retailers were giving a $50 gift card. I'd say hang tight until then. I agree with some of the posters, they should have had a $200 MSRP for one SKU. And I'm thinking it should be a 160GB model at least not a 16GB one. The unit is cheaper to make! And no slick front loading disc drive!
Posted Image

"The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them." - George Orwell

#35 ZCG

ZCG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

First unboxing video:

It's not until the 2 minute mark that you get a solid look at the end where the HDD used to be. I say "used to be" since I'm not seeing it on this new console. Wonder what that means :-s

Also, I predict the new Disc top will be the bane of this new console's existence.

#36 EvilIA

EvilIA

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Also, will UC3:GOTY be available separately? Withe release set for 5 days away, you would think there would be pre-order options available. Or will this just be an exclusive with the bundle

The PS BLog said the title would be available separately for $39.99. It might take a day or two for the pre-order syndrome to occur.

#37 Carlanga

Carlanga

Fishing for deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm gonna assume this will be $200 for BF based on last year. I still have both LBP2 & R&C sealed from that bundle lol.

I still have a backlog of Win 98 games sealed, at least I'm done w/ my floppies! :lol:

DoctorCarlos.png

#38 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thanks to whoever linked to that IGN unboxing video. Man, that lid sliding across and then having to be manually moved back into the lock position so it "clicks" into place looks like it'll break sooner rather than later. As with the Sony 3D monitors I'd advise anyone thinking about purchasing one of these to also consider adding in an extended warranty.
:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#39 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

That thing looks incredibly cheap. If my fat ever yellow lights, I'll be digging through ebay and craigslist for the previous model.

125365.png

#40 chunlirocks

chunlirocks

The new anorexic slim looks great.
:joystick: CERTIFIED GRADE A VIDIOT:joystick:

IN MY CONSOLES - NOW PLAYING:
:ps3: BLAZBLUE and DEMON's SOULS
:360: MUSHIHIMESAMA FUTARI 1. 5
:ps2: EVERBLUE 2
:wii: METROID PRIME TRILOGY
:psp: Field Commander
:xbox: XYANIDE

#41 perfectsil

perfectsil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

why top loading?

#42 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

why top loading?

Cost. They probably shaved a few dollars in component cost by moving to a manual loading mechanism for the disc rather than the previous motorized feed in both earlier models.

#43 laseractive

laseractive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

I watched a video of that top door and its some weird spring loaded thing. Looks like it will be the first thing that breaks on that console.

#44 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

It's not until the 2 minute mark that you get a solid look at the end where the HDD used to be. I say "used to be" since I'm not seeing it on this new console. Wonder what that means :-s

Also, I predict the new Disc top will be the bane of this new console's existence.

It's got to be somewhere considering they're selling these in Europe without any HDD but can be added in the future. I can't imagine buying one without one though unless you score a cheap hard drive because some of the game installs would wipe out most of the free space on the flash memory.

the_it_crowd_moss.jpgdefault.png

#45 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

hopefully a bundle will be closer to the $200 range come black friday. that's the only way i'd pick one of these up.

Auen1.png?7125

#46 sidewalkhustla

sidewalkhustla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Definitely hoping for a sale on the current model in case my 120gb breaks. The super slim looks cheap and I hate the new disc drive. Sony can't possibly have done any market research on these as most of the opinions I've seen have been negative

#47 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

I can't believe the price went UP. Yes, you get a pack-in game now, but still... price increases at this stage of the product life? Very strange.

#48 thelwig14

thelwig14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

I watched a video of that top door and its some weird spring loaded thing. Looks like it will be the first thing that breaks on that console.

Yep. Not feeling it at all and easily made my non buying decision easier. It just looks like a future nightmare.

#49 sidewalkhustla

sidewalkhustla

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Agreed. If it were a flip up lid like PS1 I'd be ok with that, but I definitely see this thing breaking and them wanting $150 to replace it. What a joke.

#50 ShadyAve

ShadyAve

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

A top loader? I understand why they did it but i thought we left the top loader behind last gen. Didn't think i would ever see one on future consoles again But sony proved me wrong. Also, This console is just unappealing. My current slim is far superior.

#51 perfectsil

perfectsil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

so a Wii U for $299 or a PS3/Xbox360 for $250-$300 this holiday season?

#52 ZCG

ZCG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Wow we may have some great news coming up.

The new PS3 model has been unveiled today, there will be two models, a 500GB HDD and a 12GB Flash drive.

Heres the kicker. "Gamers who plump for the 12GB Flash Drive model will also be able to expand the storage capacity by connecting a dedicated HDD (250GB) to be released concurrently with the new PS3. !"

Lets pray this new external HDD is compatible with all PS3 and we can store PSN games on it.

(quoted from a different thread here on CAG)

Anyone heard this before? I haven't & can't find anything one way or the other. This could explain the lack of accessible HDD. But would an external HDD use 1 of the 2 USB's? That'd suck balls.

EDIT: just found this. Must be what my quote was referring to:
http://www.t3.com/ne...ew-ps3-unveiled

Edited by ZCG, 19 September 2012 - 09:42 PM.
added source of info

#53 roundhouse

roundhouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

so a Wii U for $299 or a PS3/Xbox360 for $250-$300 this holiday season?

Even w/ the price increase of the the new slim & WiiU coming out, the PS3 is still the best deal.

#54 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

any trade-in deals for ps3 like last time

#55 Linkgx1

Linkgx1

No White Knights!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Kinda meh. Shoulda decreased the price.p

#56 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

You guys know how easy it is to sell a PS3 slim on eBay? Ive never sold anything on ebay and I really want to get this console. I never sell on eBay because I'm nervous of getting scammed

use craigslist it's alot better i sold a 360

#57 Carlanga

Carlanga

Fishing for deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

(quoted from a different thread here on CAG)

Anyone heard this before? I haven't & can't find anything one way or the other. This could explain the lack of accessible HDD. But would an external HDD use 1 of the 2 USB's? That'd suck balls.

From what I understand you have to remove the SSD to install a normal HDD, you can't have both.

I still have a backlog of Win 98 games sealed, at least I'm done w/ my floppies! :lol:

DoctorCarlos.png

#58 gldoorii

gldoorii

What the...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

So hang on... I see the 320GB AC3, Madden & CoD bundles on Best Buy for $299...or I can get a new 500GB super slim with AC3 for $299...how exactly did the price go up?

#59 Scholarly_Sam

Scholarly_Sam

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Tremendous value, if I didn't already have a PS3, I'd probably get this.

So hang on... I see the 320GB AC3, Madden & CoD bundles on Best Buy for $299...or I can get a new 500GB super slim with AC3 for $299...how exactly did the price go up?

It didn't, its just the base PS3 Slim model in the US is the 250 GB which is $269, which is $20 more than the previous base 160 GB PS3.

#60 roundhouse

roundhouse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

If I hadn't just bought a 320 gb slim bundle like 6 months ago I wouldn't even hesitate to buy this full price.