Gamestop selling Redbox discs as used

iambeaker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Went to Gamestop because they had a copy of Borderlands 2 used. I didn't notice the disc until I got home.
I called the GameStop where I purchased the game. They said, "Yeah, we sell these all the time. We don't care."
I got a hold of RedBox via Twitter. They asked me to send in the barcode so they can do some investigation.
I will update this thread as I get more information.

XcuHVh.jpg

dOupf.jpg

vs3bt.jpg

[quote name='Ziv']This isn't new.[/QUOTE]You're right, it's used. *rimshot*

But in all seriousness, wow, what the hell. I'm interested in hearing what Redbox has to say about this. Really hope something is done about that.

Dont those just peel right off? So dumbass A just leaves the label on when trading it and then dumbass B at Gamestop accepts it anyway? Either that or Gamestop just steals Redbox's shit and resells it.

Won't whoever rented it and never returned it just get their credit card charged eventually? And I know they charge like $25 PLUS late fees for movies, I can't imagine games. Nothing wrong with Gamestop selling a game that was traded in.

Heads up i hate stickers like these.. one of our local video stores put them on MOVIES and over time they will become lose and bubble up... Last year we had a DVD get stuck in the machine cause of the sticker

[quote name='myl0r']Won't whoever rented it and never returned it just get their credit card charged eventually? And I know they charge like $25 PLUS late fees for movies, I can't imagine games. Nothing wrong with Gamestop selling a game that was traded in.[/QUOTE]

From Redbox's website (Under "What happens if I lose a disc?": Every day you don't return a disc, you'll be charged the daily fee + applicable tax. .... Those charges are $24 + tax for DVDs ($25.40 in Maryland), $34.50 + tax for Blu-ray™ Discs ($35.51 in Maryland) and $60 + tax for video games ($61.48 in Maryland). At boxes where DVDs rent for $1 a day, the maximum rental period is for DVDs is 25 days and the maximum rental charge is $25 + tax.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I dont use redbox so have no idea but from the OP I thought those labels were specific to Redbox. Is that not true?[/QUOTE]

Yes, these barcodes are for Redbox. Other companies like Blockbuster Express, may have their own proprietary barcode system. I hope this answers your question.

To be honest this happens in a lot of places.

Gamestop will take in games disc only, and there is nothing on the barcode that says they can't accept the game for trade in.

And not every Gamestop employee will know about Redbox. Some of them can barely even dress themselves properly, so you can't expect every employee to be a genius, and knows what's what. And even if they knew they were taking it in, the seller is taking full responsibility that they will be taking in the fines for selling the game as opposed to returning it to Redbox. Gamestop employees are paid to know Gamestop's poliies (sometimes they don't even know that), not Redbox's.

The days of "Not For Resale" are basically over. Only times stores won't take in trades are usually if someone trades in a bulk of disc only games, or if a bunch of games are still sealed. Those are really the only exceptions. Pawn laws are also varied by state, and in the cases aforementioned wouldn't even apply.

And since you mentioned that they charges for people who "lose" their disc or sell it to Gamestop, is this not Redbox's policy to combat people who steal or sell the games?

Look, I'm not saying this is right in any possibility imaginable, but it doesn't really seem like it's something you should be pinning on one specific company alone just because you've only seen it happen there.

But to be honest this has been a problem for awhile, and at many other stores I've been too that's not just Gamestop. HPB is one, seen them at thrift stores too. It's a pretty common problem, and until Redbox decides that this structure they have put into place isn't working properly it is up to them to do something about it, not Gamestop.

I would assume that whoever rented the game from redbox and traded it in probably didn't use their own credit card. Maybe a prepaid card with only a few dollars on it or the credit card of an ex-lover or something.

For those don't know, there are ways to scam Redbox so you can keep the game while avoiding the late fees.

[quote name='Tsel']For those don't know, there are ways to scam Redbox so you can keep the game while avoiding the late fees.[/QUOTE]

would you care to share with the rest of the class, Tsel? ;)

[quote name='pippin']I would assume that whoever rented the game from redbox and traded it in probably didn't use their own credit card. Maybe a prepaid card with only a few dollars on it or the credit card of an ex-lover or something.[/QUOTE]

And this can be done with any store too. It's not a problem exclusive of Redbox, but a problem of scumbags.

[quote name='Tsel']For those don't know, there are ways to scam Redbox so you can keep the game while avoiding the late fees.[/QUOTE]

And these are the kinds of things that Redbox should be fixing rather than worrying about how to control the human condition.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']would you care to share with the rest of the class, Tsel? ;)[/QUOTE]

If he does I have a sneaking suspicious it's going to go "via Twitter" to Redbox. I can feel it. Somebody will put it up "via Twitter" to Redbox. It will be there mysteriously "via Twitter". A secret will unfold from there "via Twitter". I know it's going to happen. I still don't know how I know of this, but I can feel it! Call it intuition.

There was the story of the guy who went to redbox and got a printout of the disc instead of a game. So along with the prepaid card theory they could be just returning printouts of discs so they can sell the game

[quote name='Bezerker']There was the story of the guy who went to redbox and got a printout of the disc instead of a game. So along with the prepaid card theory they could be just returning printouts of discs so they can sell the game[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Bezerker']There was the story of the guy who went to redbox and got a printout of the disc instead of a game. So along with the prepaid card theory they could be just returning printouts of discs so they can sell the game[/QUOTE]

This actually happens quite often actually...

How is Redbox still in business?? All I hear about them is how people steal movies/games and rip people off with overcharges... If you just google 'Redbox complaints" there's a TON of them... Why would anyone even use them?? Anything that doesn't give you a receipt isn't worth using, esp. with a credit card..

OH wow. I have never used Redbox so I had no way of knowing what a Redbox disk was like.
As a GameStop employee, I can confirm I have taken disks like this as trades :(

[quote name='shadyfozzie']Anything that doesn't give you a receipt isn't worth using, esp. with a credit card..[/QUOTE]

They e-mail receipts.

And here is just yet another reason to ask to view the disc prior to ever purchasing a used title.

[quote name='Squarehard']To be honest this happens in a lot of places.

Gamestop will take in games disc only, and there is nothing on the barcode that says they can't accept the game for trade in.

And not every Gamestop employee will know about Redbox. Some of them can barely even dress themselves properly, so you can't expect every employee to be a genius, and knows what's what. And even if they knew they were taking it in, the seller is taking full responsibility that they will be taking in the fines for selling the game as opposed to returning it to Redbox. Gamestop employees are paid to know Gamestop's poliies (sometimes they don't even know that), not Redbox's.

The days of "Not For Resale" are basically over. Only times stores won't take in trades are usually if someone trades in a bulk of disc only games, or if a bunch of games are still sealed. Those are really the only exceptions. Pawn laws are also varied by state, and in the cases aforementioned wouldn't even apply.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop has no defense here, at least they wouldn't in my state. In MD they're considered a Pawn and are required to take licenses...

[quote name='orangecrush']To be fair to Gamestop, it is possible (though highly unlikely) that the game wasn't stolen.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

AFAIK, the Redbox kiosks nor the website accept pre-paid debit or pre-paid credit cards. So it's either someone legitimately paying for a redbox rental and they "bought" it simply by not returning it, or it was a stolen credit card.

Could it be possible that GS is buying out Redbox's stock of used games when they are done with them, and shipping the games to the stores to be resold? The redbox machines only hold a limited amount of titles, and I assume after a while some titles become not so desirable to rent. I have't used redbox so I don't really know.

[quote name='shadyfozzie']How is Redbox still in business?? All I hear about them is how people steal movies/games and rip people off with overcharges... If you just google 'Redbox complaints" there's a TON of them... Why would anyone even use them?? Anything that doesn't give you a receipt isn't worth using, esp. with a credit card..[/QUOTE]

As others have said, I get a receipt emailed to me. I have never had a bad experience with them. I don't use them a lot, mostly when I get a free rental code. But occassionally I do rent a "paid" DVD/Blu-ray.

Last year, I rented a DVD and we had a freak October snowstorm. The store was closed on the due date because of the storm. I called customer support and they refunded the extra day charge.

[quote name='SaraAB']Could it be possible that GS is buying out Redbox's stock of used games when they are done with them, and shipping the games to the stores to be resold? The redbox machines only hold a limited amount of titles, and I assume after a while some titles become not so desirable to rent. I have't used redbox so I don't really know.[/QUOTE]

That isn't out of question, but I wouldn't think it is accurate in this circumstance. I mean, Borderlands 2 is a really new/sought after game. I'm sure they have had no problem renting out their copies, so I doubt they are looking to unload them just yet, especially with no real AAA titles coming out the past few weeks other than BL.

[quote name='myl0r']That isn't out of question, but I wouldn't think it is accurate in this circumstance. I mean, Borderlands 2 is a really new/sought after game. I'm sure they have had no problem renting out their copies, so I doubt they are looking to unload them just yet, especially with no real AAA titles coming out the past few weeks other than BL.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, with a new game like borderlands 2 I can definitely see it likely being a stolen game, but with games that are a bit older it is a possibility. Though you would think the employees would know if a customer questioned it.

Why the fyck would you buy a used disc only copy for 54.99 when you could have preordered from best buy and gotten it essentially for $40? this makes no sense to me.

[quote name='roundhouse']Why the fyck would you buy a used disc only copy for 54.99 when you could have preordered from best buy and gotten it essentially for $40? this makes no sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Because around here, GameStop credit flows through the streets. GameStop credit is like monopoly money or some shit.

When I was getting some PS2 games last week there were ones with the old Blockbuster and Movie Gallery stickers on the tops.

I don't really think it is such a big deal that Gamestop accepted and sold the game. I think the bigger issue is whether it was stolen from Redbox or not.

I know someone that did this a few months back. He rented a disc from rebox and paid the up front on the rental. He took it to GameStop and traded it to get enough to get a game he wanted.

Not a big deal though as after so many days red box charges you 50 bucks for the game.

Moral? I don't know. Don't think red box cares as they got their money and he owns the disc.

[quote name='burritoman']I don't really think it is such a big deal that Gamestop accepted and sold the game. I think the bigger issue is whether it was stolen from Redbox or not.[/QUOTE]
:applause:Moreover, I question what the OP really expects to get out of reporting this to Redbox. Aside from trying to get a GS rep into potential trouble for having taken in the trade-in to begin with if it is indeed a stolen game paid for with a stolen credit card, who loses out in the end? The answer likely being whoever took in the game in trade to begin with at whichever store it was traded into. So congratulations OP, you likely helped add another person to the unemployment rolls in your area.:whistle2:#

Just seems like sour grapes to me....:roll:

[quote name='orangecrush']To be fair to Gamestop, it is possible (though highly unlikely) that the game wasn't stolen.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it fell out of the machine and rolled into Gamestop, where they picked it up off the floor and marked it as used.

No really, what other explanation is there?

[quote name='mitch079']Yep, it fell out of the machine and rolled into Gamestop, where they picked it up off the floor and marked it as used.

No really, what other explanation is there?[/QUOTE]Some idiot bought it from Redbox and traded it to Gamestop. It isn't very likely, but it is possible.

[quote name='orangecrush']Some idiot bought it from Redbox and traded it to Gamestop. It isn't very likely, but it is possible.[/QUOTE]

This, its actually very possible. I already posted one of the reasons someone would do it.

When you rent from Red box if you don't return it after so many days you buy it and they charge you the full amount. Its a price cut off, with movies once you hit 20 dollars they charge you whats left after the initial rental and with games its 50 bucks.

Its automatic.

As I mentioned before I know someone that used a new game at Redbox to get enough credit to get one that he wanted that day. He paid for it in the end, but he got the game that day.

There is no reason for Gamestop to not take the discs. I am sure there are metric tons of legitimately purchased games and movies out there from Red box. Whether the person forgot to take it back or wanted to keep.

Didnt know that was a redbox label, as Ive never used them. But I have gotten games with that same stupid, hard to remove label from both hastings and amazon warehouse. So it happens, everywhere I guess.

[quote name='shadyfozzie']How is Redbox still in business?? All I hear about them is how people steal movies/games and rip people off with overcharges... If you just google 'Redbox complaints" there's a TON of them... Why would anyone even use them?? Anything that doesn't give you a receipt isn't worth using, esp. with a credit card..[/QUOTE]
That's what I wonder.Maybe they just charge the person who last rented.

I don't see how anybody can complain about Redbox. It's an incredibly simple and easy to use way to rent movies (and games).

[quote name='Carbonite']This, its actually very possible. I already posted one of the reasons someone would do it.

When you rent from Red box if you don't return it after so many days you buy it and they charge you the full amount. Its a price cut off, with movies once you hit 20 dollars they charge you whats left after the initial rental and with games its 50 bucks.

Its automatic.

As I mentioned before I know someone that used a new game at Redbox to get enough credit to get one that he wanted that day. He paid for it in the end, but he got the game that day.

There is no reason for Gamestop to not take the discs. I am sure there are metric tons of legitimately purchased games and movies out there from Red box. Whether the person forgot to take it back or wanted to keep.[/QUOTE]

Or someone needed drugs. They had $5 or whatever and needed $20. As odd as it sounds they'd put that much thought into it, I could see it happening.

1. OP is an idiot.
2. the game is not stolen
3. gamestop has a $30 Guaranteed $30 in store credit for borderland 2 plus Trade 2 eligible games, get $40 in-store credit.
4. this is how you do it, go rent 2 borderland2 games for $4 a day. then you go to gamestop and trade in these games for a $100 store credit. then you buy the games you want with the $100 gamestop credit TODAY. 25 days later redbox will charge your credit card for $100. It is like an interest free 25 days loan on $100.
5. Be smart OP, what you did will only let redbox to increases the prices on their games.

[quote name='leidh']1. OP is an idiot.
2. the game is not stolen
3. gamestop has a $30 Guaranteed $30 in store credit for borderland 2 plus Trade 2 eligible games, get $40 in-store credit.
4. this is how you do it, go rent 2 borderland2 games for $4 a day. then you go to gamestop and trade in these games for a $100 store credit. then you buy the games you want with the $100 gamestop credit TODAY. 25 days later redbox will charge your credit card for $100. It is like an interest free 25 days loan on $100.
5. Be smart OP, what you did will only let redbox to increases the prices on their games.[/QUOTE]I have to chime in here and say that calling the OP an idiot is uncalled for. Not everyone is aware how Redbox operates. The OP clearly just posted up his concern.

bread's done
Back