Dishonored

Equally shocked as well. These days anything with Bethesda's name on it is an instabuy for me. Definitely copping it tomorrow.

Tempted to pick it up but I'm not too sure. I probably wouldn't play it more than twice so that kills the value for me. I might just get it from Redbox for a couple of days.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Equally shocked as well. These days anything with Bethesda's name on it is an instabuy for me. Definitely copping it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way. Until... Brink.

Seriously tho, I think this game was the one I looked forward to the most this year once Bioshock got pushed back to 2013. Excited to see the positive press too because I was a little worried after trying a Dark Messiah M&M play through (Arkanes first an only major release).

And Xcom got some damn fine reviews too. I may have to check that out. I watched a developers video earlier today and I'm intrigued.

I preordered it at BB, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I don't think I'll be playing it right away, though. My plan is to finish what I'm playing now (Sleeping Dogs) in time for AC III, then jump into Dishonored after I finish that.

Anyway, I have been looking forward to Dishonored. Glad to hear it's getting good reviews.

[quote name='Multibeaster79']I felt the same way. Until... Brink.[/QUOTE]

I'm relatively convinced that I'm the only poster here who legitimately enjoyed Brink, but I was smart enough to wait a year for the price to drop and patches to smooth over the lag. Far from perfect yet well worth the few dollars I spent on my copy and I'll more than likely support a sequel.

I'm still pretty damn salty about Infinite getting delayed this year. It had better be a f*cking GOTY masterpiece when the time comes.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']I'm relatively convinced that I'm the only poster here who legitimately enjoyed Brink, but I was smart enough to wait a year for the price to drop and patches to smooth over the lag. Far from perfect yet well worth the few dollars I spent on my copy and I'll more than likely support a sequel.

I'm still pretty damn salty about Infinite getting delayed this year. It had better be a f*cking GOTY masterpiece when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Brink, too. I also paid $60 for it on release... I think I got most of my money back, but I definitely still want to pick up a copy on the cheap in the near future. Games with decent bots are hard to come by.

/off topic from Dishonored

Just finished the first chapter. This game is awesome. I can already tell it's going to be something I will play multiple times through just because of the variety of gameplay options.

I appreciate how your actions rather than your narrative choices impact the game world. I think well be seeing more of this approach to morality in the future (vs the static 'red' or 'blue' response etc)

Honestly I think I just had my hopes too high for Brink and the community died too quickly to really enjoy all the game had.

[quote name='Multibeaster79']Just finished the first chapter. This game is awesome. I can already tell it's going to be something I will play multiple times through just because of the variety of gameplay options.

I appreciate how your actions rather than your narrative choices impact the game world. I think well be seeing more of this approach to morality in the future (vs the static 'red' or 'blue' response etc)

Honestly I think I just had my hopes too high for Brink and the community died too quickly to really enjoy all the game had.[/QUOTE]

Same here... I knew after the first chapter I would love this game. Just finished the second mission... I love the variety of different ways this game gives you as far as assassinating, getting from point A to point B etc. If your into stealth games, this is a must get and even if your not(I like them them but i'm not crazy about them) still check this out.

Is there any MP? I heard both yes and no for some reason. Not really a deal breaker or not, I'll probably wait a bit for it to drop as well, just curious if there was also an MP component. Glad to hear its fun.

I'm certain there is no multiplayer.

Did anyone else get the tarot cards when you picked up your game today? I think you had to pre-order. This was at Gamestop by the way...not sure if there doing it at other places. I didn't even know you got those so that was a nice surprise.

Unless for some ungodly reason this game literally just gets so bad the last part of the game (I mean with bugs that it's unplayable), Dishonored is my GOTY. Then again Deus Ex HR was my GOTY last year so it's no question I love open ended games like Deus Ex.

Second on the list is Sleeping Dogs, but Dishonored still looks to top it.

After Bethesda totally fucked up on Skyrim DLC's for the PS3 I'll pass on anything even remotely related to that company. Could be the best game ever made, still passing since it has a Bethesda logo on it.

Game looks great, but I literally have no money for this right now. I reckon it might suffer slightly with the other big titles coming up so will possibly drop in price by the time I can afford it.

[quote name='praxus07']After Bethesda totally fucked up on Skyrim DLC's for the PS3 I'll pass on anything even remotely related to that company. Could be the best game ever made, still passing since it has a Bethesda logo on it.[/QUOTE]

No offense but that logic is pretty flawed, but that's yours and your money so to each their own.

The game is pretty fun so far, there's slightly more depth in the first chapter or two than I find in most FPS.

I made it to
the sewers after breaking out of the prison, the sword fighting is pretty fun and I enjoy the dual wielding as opposed to the generic single weapon usage, being able to shoot and swing a sword is great. Reminds me a lot of Bioshock.

[quote name='praxus07']After Bethesda totally fucked up on Skyrim DLC's for the PS3 I'll pass on anything even remotely related to that company. Could be the best game ever made, still passing since it has a Bethesda logo on it.[/QUOTE]Buy it used, Bethesda makes no money on a second sale.

For those of you still on the fence Kmart is giving a $15 gaming coupon this week with purchase and you don't need to be a SYWR card member for it. I would have had no idea if hadn't bothered to check the receipt I was going to throw away a few seconds ago. I plan to use mine for ACIII.

[quote name='hustletron']No offense but that logic is pretty flawed, but that's yours and your money so to each their own.[/QUOTE]

Why is it flawed? That's the proper way to boycott a company. Not the internet way.

I'm thinking about picking this up. I didn't know anything about it until the positive reviews started coming in - anything that is comparable to Bioshock sounds good to me.

This game is fantastic for players like me who have always found easier routes to a particular destination but could never use them. It sort of plays like a better Bioshock, but not quite and certainly lacks the same atmosphere. To be fair though I doubt any game could come close to replicating the latter. Currently I have a couple of huge issues with it at the moment: Lack of non-lethal hand to hand options in combat, scarcity of non-lethal item drops, and the god damn gray colored microsized text on standard definition sets. If I have to constantly backtrack to HQ for shop access then that's another strike against it.

The lot of which are slowly starting to irritate the f*ck out of me, but not enough to stop playing entirely. The severe lack of non-lethal combat options however is coming pretty damn close. It just flat out doesn't make any sense providing a playstyle attached to achievements and the ending, but only lending support for a defensive approach. Much more nonsensical for a game praised for allowing players near endless freedom of approach.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd rather permanently kill or knock a guard the hell out than sneak past and have to deal with him on the way out. Currently the non-lethal player has three options - Choke/Dart, Distract, Never Get Caught/Run Away And Hide Until You Get Another Opportunity To Choke/Dart.

It's completely f*cking ridiculous for any assassin to be locked out of bare Hand to Hand combat in any situation. Everything else besides this point though is more or less golden so I'm glad I bought it.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']It's completely f*cking ridiculous for any assassin to be locked out of bare Hand to Hand combat in any situation. Everything else besides this point though is more or less golden so I'm glad I bought it.[/QUOTE]

I hugely agree with this point. Despite all of the good this game is bringing, the little bad things are pretty grating.

I've gone back to a few chapters to try more lethal approaches and I still find the combat to be pretty miserable. The close range fire breathing attack is garbage and there's no real point in providing attack anticipation from enemies if they can just clip through each other and seemingly everything else.

When it comes to sneaking and power usage though, I adore it. Guess I just won't get caught!

LOL. That's pretty much what the developers are telling you: "Don't get caught without full mana or a weapon equipped! ...Or you're screwed." Because of this the Clean Hands achievement shouldn't exist along with a few others. I'm glad I decided before the epilogue to dedicate my initial playthrough to it. All of my money is being spent on potions, Crossbow upgrades and Sleep Darts.

Seriously though... could you imagine the life expectancy of any assassin who couldn't kill, knockout, disarm, etc. without a weapon? He can sure put a MEAN sleeper hold on ya though but only if he's parallel to you! Oh shit... we've found his other weakness! Quick! Backs to the wall boys! Turn to your side or keep facing forward! We've got him now!

Oh man... this is priceless. Almost as funny as a guard clocking me in face with a rock after I scaled a pipe and starting teabagging it in front of him. This game has potential but man I have to wonder how they all signed off on what appears to be such a glaring oversight.

I'm gonna be the guy the complain about the teleporting screwing me over. The arrow shows up to indicate when I tele that I will climb up whatever surface I am trying to tele to.

Oh not this time? Teleport to the pipe and then drop like a stone into a room of 5 goons? Dishonored.

EDIT: This game is a lot of fun though aside from the other mentioned stuff.

Combination locations for the first two safes that I have found:
I found my first safe in the sewers in the first mission after getting out of the prison, Jelly's stash, the combination is carved into the shelf that is behind the safe, look behind the bottles of whiskey.

The second safe I found was in the scientist's house Dr. Galvani, after you leave the loyalists area to go to your first mission for them, the combination is on one of the chalk boards in his lab on the third floor, written in the bottom right hand corner of the chalk board for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']
The lot of which are slowly starting to irritate the f*ck out of me, but not enough to stop playing entirely. The severe lack of non-lethal combat options however is coming pretty damn close. It just flat out doesn't make any sense providing a playstyle attached to achievements and the ending, but only lending support for a defensive approach. Much more nonsensical for a game praised for allowing players near endless freedom of approach.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd rather permanently kill or knock a guard the hell out than sneak past and have to deal with him on the way out. Currently the non-lethal player has three options - Choke/Dart, Distract, Never Get Caught/Run Away And Hide Until You Get Another Opportunity To Choke/Dart.

It's completely f*cking ridiculous for any assassin to be locked out of bare Hand to Hand combat in any situation. Everything else besides this point though is more or less golden so I'm glad I bought it.[/QUOTE]
Deus Ex HR was the same way with the limited no kill options to be fair. I consider Dishonored to be Deus Ex but in different scenery and with magic. I wish there was more options, too because I find myself not wanting to kill a guard but it's hard with the limited options.

Still I love the game though.

Problem with that comparison is the sole similarity being the stealth premise. Deus Ex: HR was a fairly linear RPG at its core and Dishonored is definitely a first person shooter with a few elements splash in and at least five times the freedom of approach. The same limitations that may have made some sense in HR definitely don't here by a long shot.

[quote name='Survivalism']Why is it flawed? That's the proper way to boycott a company. Not the internet way.[/QUOTE]

Swearing off a game because DLC for a completely different game on supposedly one platform was messed up? Seems pretty flawed to me, but that's my opinion.

I believe according to a friend I'm almost done with the game already, which says two things: the game is too short and it's a good game since I've been playing it a lot.

It reminds me of Half Life 2 and I couldn't put my finger on it for a while, but then I realized the plots and art style are pretty similar. Pseudo government revolt. The tall boys remind me of the striders in HL2, even the train vehicles you run across that are stationary look just like the combine APCs.

The story is a little weak though and Corvo comes off as pretty naive because of how the story progresses.
You keep getting betrayed and stabbed in the back? Really?Why are you trusting these random people regardless of the fact that they supposedly helped you get out of prison?

LOL @ that spoiler.
Anyone with a fully functional brain wouldn't fully trust anyone in the "resistance." The noble and captain especially. I had already suspected betrayal from beginning but it's sad to know the main character is too naive to see it coming.
Thanks for the heads up.

Even though i've been seriously neglecting this game(X-Com!) I still love it. I'm going to put some time in tomorrow and try to get through a couple of missions. Playing this makes me want to give Deus EX: HR another chance. I couldn't get into it at all, but I should've played more and not have quit so fast.

Finally got around to finishing this game and had to replay the last two missions to get Clean Hands to register. My advice to all those going for the no kill achievements is to make at least three saves to cover your ass: One at the very beginning of the mission, another when/after dealing with key targets and a general as you go "just in case" trump card as collateral for those accidental mishaps. Never replay a mission from the main menu or stat screen just reload a previous save during it so the game won't disqualify you from the achievement. Avoid killing anyone during the prison break just in case and should you
run into Granny Rags holding Slackjaw captive later in the game JUST STEAL THE DAMN KEY FROM HER AND RUN (but don't forget the bone charm in back before you leave). Saving Slack forces you to kill her which will count against you regardless of the method. Knocking her out does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop the game from registering a kill. With that said I'd assume going along with her killing Slack would count as well so ignore them both. Steal the key from her and bounce.

Oh, and for the love of God pay attention to anyone you knock out because whatever happens to that body afterward will count against you e.g. falling off a ledge, landing in the river, eaten by plague rats, killed by a rewired trap, etc. It will save you the trouble of replaying a mission from the beginning wondering what the hell happened when you know for a fact you didn't actually kill anyone. Might want to go the extra mile like I did and spec into Shadow Kill for extra insurance.

This game is solid but vastly overrated by critics IMO. I'm just glad I can finally cut loose now and murder everything in sight though because playing the hero just to see one mediocre ending honestly wasn't worth it (for once). I don't think I'm going to bother with the remaining alert and nonlethal related achievements for quite a while.

Really enjoying this so far, though I have to finish it up before AC3 and Halo 4 come out, otherwise it will fall to the abyss that is my backlog.

[quote name='Javery']I finally started this - so far so good but I feel like I'm playing it wrong by killing people.[/QUOTE]

I did the first mission like that so I restarted with stealth and choking people out. It got a little frustrating when at the end of a major mission the overview says I was detected or killed someone (probably choked a guy and he fell into water and drowned or was eaten by rats).

[quote name='parKer']I did the first mission like that so I restarted with stealth and choking people out. It got a little frustrating when at the end of a major mission the overview says I was detected or killed someone (probably choked a guy and he fell into water and drowned or was eaten by rats).[/QUOTE]

I tried doing the first mission all stealth and I was surprised it said I killed 2 people at the end. I didn't stab anyone or fire a single shot. The only thing I could think of is that I used 2 bodies to distract some rats so I could open a sewer gate. I thought they were already dead but I guess not...

Can you play through however you want and then go back and do each mission individually to get the "Clean Hands" achievement or does it have to be one continuous run through the game?

[quote name='Javery']I tried doing the first mission all stealth and I was surprised it said I killed 2 people at the end. I didn't stab anyone or fire a single shot. The only thing I could think of is that I used 2 bodies to distract some rats so I could open a sewer gate. I thought they were already dead but I guess not...

Can you play through however you want and then go back and do each mission individually to get the "Clean Hands" achievement or does it have to be one continuous run through the game?[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, I didn't know about leaving a body to rats = killing, until I read about it online.

Unfortunately, you can't go back and do a mission individually. It does have to be a continuous run. From what I've read, the only ways are to reload a manual save, not the game's automatic save, that you made before that entire mission started, or replay the mission when the game gives you the option.

Make sure at the very beginning that you do not kill
the assassins who kill the Empress
because the game starts counting kills that early on. Just
block their attacks

[quote name='parKer']Haha, yeah, I didn't know about leaving a body to rats = killing, until I read about it online.

Unfortunately, you can't go back and do a mission individually. It does have to be a continuous run. From what I've read, the only ways are to reload a manual save, not the game's automatic save, that you made before that entire mission started, or replay the mission when the game gives you the option.

Make sure at the very beginning that you do not kill
the assassins who kill the Empress
because the game starts counting kills that early on. Just
block their attacks
.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Now I'm thinking I screwed it up in the last thing you said there. Oh well. I think it will be more fun to go through and try to sneak around and only kill when I feel like I have to. If the game is as good as everyone says I'll play it again to go for Clean Hands. I finally got the first power last night and was messing around a bit with it. So far so good...

I am about to start this today. I normally plan out my achievement strategy for game (I hate I have become this way really) but after reading through them I decided to not try for achievements the first time through. this just seem like a game I want to experience first and then do specific things on other play-throughs. I think I will have more fun ignoring pre-determined ways to play the game.

Wow this game is pretty amazing. I have only done the first 2 parts. I am trying a ghost no kill run for some insane reason. It took me about 5 hours to just get through the 1st two levels. The prison was kind of a bitch w/o blink. This was also completing all side quests also. Those who burned through this in 6-7 really missed out on the point.

Not seeing the greatness of this game at all... :( Glad I waited until it was $25 on Black Friday or whatever... seems like just another FPS to me. ::shrug::

[quote name='UjnHunter']Not seeing the greatness of this game at all... :( Glad I waited until it was $25 on Black Friday or whatever... seems like just another FPS to me. ::shrug::[/QUOTE]

FPS? This game is more akin to Bioshock than CoD or BF3. The powers and stealth are where the fun in this game is at. If you want to go guns blazing is fine but you won't see what the game is trying to do.

bread's done
Back