Target B&M Stores to Price Match Online Retailers – UPDATE: *BLACK FRIDAY EXCLUDED*

litepink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
UPDATE: Contrary to language used in the original press conference and the following business media reports, Black Friday thru Cyber Monday is excluded. Other limitations are listed below.

Starting Nov 1 thru Dec 16

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/target-says-it-will-match-select-online-pricing-2012-10-16
Target Corp. became the latest big-box chain to offer to match the online prices of some rival retailers in what is shaping up to be a fiercely competitive holiday shopping season.
Like Best Buy Co., which last week announced similar plans, Target is seeking to combat "showrooming" by shoppers who check out products in its stores but buy them on competitors' websites, often at lower prices.

Target said Tuesday that its strategy for the holiday season includes being "intensely competitive'' on price, while also showcasing exclusive merchandise, such as a limited-edition designer collection it is creating with Neiman Marcus Group Inc.

The Minneapolis-based retailer said it would match prices from Amazon.com Inc.,Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16.

Best Buy's online matching program started already, but excludes Thanksgiving weekend and CyberMonday. It also includes matching the prices of a larger number of retailers.

Target Chief Executive Gregg Steinhafel said Tuesday that he wasn't concerned that price-matching would dent the company's profit margins. "We're already rock solid in price," Mr. Steinhafel said. "But if periodically some competitor has a lower price, this gives our guests the ability to know 'I can do all of my one-stop shopping in Target.' "

Last year, Target eschewed battling competitors on price to preserve its profits, but the retailer missed its sales projections for the fourth quarter. Another contributor to the miss was its troubled website, which crashed several times last fall, leading to declining Internet sales during the holiday.

This year, Target said, it has increased its online capabilities, tripling the orders per hour the site can handle, and has been testing the site in anticipation of higher traffic during the launch of the Target/Neiman Marcus collection on Dec. 1.

Last January, Mr. Steinhafel, in a widely publicized letter, asked suppliers to help Target stem the showrooming trend. Among other things, he asked vendors to produce more exclusive merchandise that would make it harder to compare items to similar things in other stores.

From Target's website:

Holiday Price Matching: select online competitors

We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at a Target store between Nov. 1 and Dec. 16 and find the identical item for less at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com or BabiesRUs.com. Simply show us the current online price using your mobile device, or bring in a printed page showing the current online price by Dec. 16. The online price and availability will be validated by a Target team member at the Guest Service desk.

• Excludes “Marketplace” prices: Price matched items must be sold by Walmart.com, Amazon.com, BestBuy.com, ToysRUs.com, or BabiesRUs.com; prices from 3rd party sellers on these websites will not be honored.
  • Excludes Target stores in Alaska and Hawaii.
  • Limit quantity of 1 online price match per identical item, per guest.
  • Must bring in original Target receipt when requesting the price match by Dec. 16.
  • The retail price must be shown on the competitor’s website and must be valid at the time the price match is requested.
  • The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.
  • Online prices from Nov. 22–26 are excluded.
  • Excludes online prices from competitors not listed above.
What is excluded from the Holiday Price Match?

In addition, the following exclusions apply:

• Items originally purchased at Target.com
  • Prices that only display on a website after guests log in
  • Purchases from CityTarget stores
  • For items that are out of stock at Target or a competitor at the time the price match is requested; rain checks will not be issued for any item being price matched
  • Items advertised as limited time/limited supply/limited quantity
  • Paid membership club or paid loyalty programs (e.g. prices that require a club or loyalty card that is associated with a membership fee)
  • Competitor coupon-required or gift card offers
  • Competitor price matches on items where Target is offering a free gift card
  • Prices advertised only as a percent off or dollar off
  • Buy one, get one if the retail price is not shown in the advertisement
  • Free product where no qualifying purchase is required
  • Bundled offers (including Amazon.com add-on items) and special purchases
  • Timed events (e.g., early bird, door busters)
  • Sales tax promotions
  • Damaged, refurbished and open package product
  • Clearance or closeout items
  • Mail in offers or instant rebates
  • Product services (warranties, assembly, etc.)
  • Going-out-of-business liquidations
  • Offers that include financing
  • Used or previously owned items
  • Pricing or typographical errors
  • Target Portrait Studio, Optical and Clinic offers
  • Non-branded items (e.g., produce not marketed under a specific brand name)
  • Contract cell phone plans and devices
  • Daily Deals, Lightning Deals, Gold Box Deals, Today’s Deals, Deal of the Day, Deal Near to Me, Value of the Day, Special Buy
  • Target team member discounts may not be used with online competitor price match
All matches are done against pre-tax prices; guest is responsible for applicable taxes.

What qualifies as proof of a price?

• For printed ads: please show us the entire printed advertisement. Photos, photocopies, or mobile phone versions (of the ad) cannot be accepted as verification of a competitor’s printed ad.
  • For online prices: please show us your mobile device or a printout from a qualifying competitor’s website or Target.com. A Target team member will then verify the match using a Target device.

Last edited by a moderator:
target needs to get off their "were better than everyone" horse and needed to start doing this a decade ago. Their requirement of a paper ad to pricematch in this age is mind-boggling.

[quote name='benjamouth']Wow, so they'll price match on Black Friday............CHAOS[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad I'm not a cashier at Target. Having to verify price checks on Black Friday with a massive line and everyone irritated to begin with is crazy.

[quote name='Wario64']Your urls are broken[/QUOTE]
shoot =[

CAG is blocked at work, so I need to copy and paste from my phone. I'll amend them when I get home. If anyone wants to read more on this, use Google for now =]

So they are they going to figure shipping into it? My local Sears used to price match online but would never budge on the shipping on amazon even though it was free on things over 25 dollars. If not then that is great. I might actually shop at target again.

[quote name='litepink']shoot =[

CAG is blocked at work, so I need to copy and paste from my phone. I'll amend them when I get home. If anyone wants to read more on this, use Google for now =][/QUOTE]

Use this URL

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/target-says-it-will-match-select-online-pricing-2012-10-16

This is nice but problem with Target is that they use the grip claw of death on the video games in the case which absolutely destroy the cases.

[quote name='Lightning War']I'm so glad I'm not a cashier at Target. Having to verify price checks on Black Friday with a massive line and everyone irritated to begin with is crazy.[/QUOTE]

Call me crazy, but on Black Friday, I find cashier to be one of the calmer places in the store. Yes, it's crazy and lines are miles long, but I always feel rushed on a normal day when they lines get backed up. On Black Friday, that rushed feeling is no longer there because you know it's going to be that way. Granted, I'm not normally cashier, but still.

Also, the cashiers don't do the price matching. For that, you'd have to go over to guest service.

That's great news and all, but no amount of savings will convince me to step inside any retail store on Black Friday. I have to work overnight that day anyways so by the time I clock off all the good deals will be scooped up.

Thanks for posting the information OP.

[quote name='Bosamba']That's great news and all, but no amount of savings will convince me to step inside any retail store on Black Friday. I have to work overnight that day anyways so by the time I clock off all the good deals will be scooped up.

Thanks for posting the information OP.[/QUOTE]

+1

I'll wait for Cyber Monday.

[quote name='benjamouth']Wow, so they'll price match on Black Friday............CHAOS[/QUOTE]

Was chaos last black friday. Hopefully even more people go there so less crowds at the stores I want to go to.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Match bf deals huh ? This will put pressure on bestbuy and wallmart to do the same which is great for us ![/QUOTE]

About to say the same thing. I still ponder why the websites and b&m door busters can't be the same. It ain't worth it camping out just for a TV which will be flipped on Craiglist.

Thanks. Good to know.

The at Target will be much bigger this year. Considering the line extended down main st a couple blocks.

This should be included in the upcoming BF section.

[quote name='vlv723']About to say the same thing. I still ponder why the websites and b&m door busters can't be the same. It ain't worth it camping out just for a TV which will be flipped on Craiglist.[/QUOTE]

B&M door busters are there because even if it sells out, people will still feel obligated to buy something due to sunk costs - as in the gas or resources it took to get there. Also, many consumers feel social pressure from internal and external sources to make some kind of purchase.

With the Internet, minimal effort & resources were required to navigate to a company's website. Also, with the Internet making most feel anonymous, the pressure to make some kind of purchase is lessened.

[quote name='joeyshadows']FML. Looks like I might be Guest Service or cashier this time around.[/QUOTE]
They don't pay you extra for working during BF?

[quote name='Romeo']target needs to get off their "were better than everyone" horse and needed to start doing this a decade ago. Their requirement of a paper ad to pricematch in this age is mind-boggling.[/QUOTE]

My lady friend is always telling me Target is better then Walmart... Walmart has better prices and Target has awesome trail mixes..

[quote name='TooPoor']They don't pay you extra for working during BF?[/QUOTE]
I honestly don't remember. I do know they pay an extra dollar if you work before 8am. However they cut it so now you can only earn whatever you actually work before 8am. I used to do like 5am-close shifts when we had call outs and made an extra dollar per hour which isn't much. Hopefully they staff up pretty soon though. BF is less than two months away and were so short on people/hours it's ridiculous.

I understand that being competitive is a top strategy, but it seems like bringing their call center back onshore and upgrading their website's features would do them better, long term, than this stunt. I've had so many absurdly bad and time consuming issues with their call center that at this point very little will get me in their store. They've lost a life-long customer b/c of continual bad service, they're not going to gain me back through online price matches.

Nice try, Target. I don't shop online for the amazing deals, I shop online because I can shop without putting pants on

[quote name='mathyou']I understand that being competitive is a top strategy, but it seems like bringing their call center back onshore and upgrading their website's features would do them better, long term, than this stunt. I've had so many absurdly bad and time consuming issues with their call center that at this point very little will get me in their store. They've lost a life-long customer b/c of continual bad service, they're not going to gain me back through online price matches.[/QUOTE]

Not to be completely obtuse (actually curious), but why did you repeatedly need the Target call center? I assume online order problems, but has there ever been a worthwhile reason to order from their website in the first place? Seems like few of their good deals are online and their in-store customer service is generally excellent (which most online orders can be dealt with in-store). I realize Target stores aren't everywhere (although you wouldn't know it by the bajillion stores in my area), but I've assumed the website was primarily a trendy 'yes we have a website too' thing as opposed to an actual big money maker for them. *shrug*

[quote name='TooPoor']They don't pay you extra for working during BF?[/QUOTE]

Lol at a company voluntarily paying their employees more. At least usually on BF they have food in the break room, but if you're an average peon you'll be lucky if anything good is left when it's time for your break after the people who stay in tsc all day get first dibs while you're actually working.

[quote name='handsomepete']Not to be completely obtuse (actually curious), but why did you repeatedly need the Target call center? I assume online order problems, but has there ever been a worthwhile reason to order from their website in the first place? Seems like few of their good deals are online and their in-store customer service is generally excellent (which most online orders can be dealt with in-store). I realize Target stores aren't everywhere (although you wouldn't know it by the bajillion stores in my area), but I've assumed the website was primarily a trendy 'yes we have a website too' thing as opposed to an actual big money maker for them. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Fair enough question - I've had situations where the site won't work so I've had to call. One was for a B2G1 promo, another for the recent Adv. Time 3Ds game. I received a damaged outdoor furniture set, so had to call. I actually manage a call center, so I try to avoid calling places, but sometimes it's necessary. And with Target it's been painful enough that I just don't dig the company, period.

Target actually price matched blk Friday sales last year.... It's wasnt widely publicize but there was a workbench message on it. I done it & have seen the memo on it for myself. Only new aspect announced is the online price matching.

[quote name='litepink']starting nov 1 thru dec 16

what this means:
- target brick & mortar stores will begin to price match amazon.com, walmart.com, bestbuy.com, toysrus.com, and babiesrus.com for a limited time – november 1st to december 16th
- for the first time ever, you can price match from target.com too (nov 1 to dec 24). You can also adjust a in-store price if something goes on sale at target,com at a later date.
- amazon.com price matching doesn’t apply to third party sellers, naturally.
- use can still use your redcard to save an additional 5% on your purchase
- videogames are included. In fact, any item is included.
- as stated in the wsj article above, black friday weekend and cybermonday prices can be matched too.
- wi-fi will roll out in stores for customers to scan qr codes and whatnot, but will also benefit those looking up competitor pricing and wish to price match.
- you can use your smartphone to show competitor pricing.[/quote]

:d

[quote name='Scorch']Nice try, Target. I don't shop online for the amazing deals, I shop online because I can shop without putting pants on[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. If Walmart would do this too then you'd still have a pants-optional shopping experience. ;)

Wow, this is gonna be a crazy BF this year... anyone working at Customer service/Guest Services is gonna hate BF even more! :(

[quote name='Kurosaki-san']Target actually price matched blk Friday sales last year.... It's wasnt widely publicize but there was a workbench message on it. I done it & have seen the memo on it for myself. Only new aspect announced is the online price matching.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I pricematched Walmart last year without issue. I was told there was no pming of doorbusters, but regular sale items was okay. No clue how it's going to work this year, though, I recall reading on another site about they weren't PMing this bf, so here's hoping they've changed that stance.

This would mean a lot more to me if they'd make this the year-round policy. They'd REALLY get my dollars then. Even so, this could be good for me and my Redcard.

I'll check tomorrow at work but Door Busters have always been excluded. Its about time we did this, I've been arguing with the ETL's for ages on loosing the requirement to bring in an ad. Our store just got wi-fi this Monday which is great, also don't forget that Target participates with ShopKick, I already have enough for $7 in GC.

[quote name='actripxl']I'll check tomorrow at work but Door Busters have always been excluded. Its about time we did this, I've been arguing with the ETL's for ages on loosing the requirement to bring in an ad. Our store just got wi-fi this Monday which is great, also don't forget that Target participates with ShopKick, I already have enough for $7 in GC.[/QUOTE]

whats shopkick

Doesn't anyone realize how insanely complicated, but rewarding, this is going to get? After figuring out what to get at Target in leu of another store (for the sake of stock available), I have to go to ... customer service!

[quote name='Rainman']This is nice but problem with Target is that they use the grip claw of death on the video games in the case which absolutely destroy the cases.[/QUOTE]

As someone who works at Target in the electronics section, I really try to save the cases. I really do. But unfortunately, it's a different work center that actually resets the game section every week, and they don't give a shit.

When a game changes location, they could just put the already damaged copy into the display case in the new location, but they just grab a copy at random, and 9 times out of 10, they end up picking one that was still mint. It's crazy when you a game that has changed location several times, and you end up with 6 or 7 cases with the "Target Pinch".

I know this isn't really the topic of this thread, but this is the first time I've seen someone just as annoyed about this as I am.

Now that Amazon is charging sales tax in my state AND they've dropped the ball on pre-order deals, Best Buy and Target are becoming more viable purchasing options.

Target has never been the best for game prices but I am happy to read about the in store wifi.

bread's done
Back