G4 Cancels AOTS and X-Play

PimpLimp

CAGiversary!
Here's the story: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Attack-of-Show-Canceled-1055082.aspx

It's pretty sad IMO. I haven't watched the either show regularly in years but I guess with the departures of both Adam Sessler and Kevin Pereira this was bound to happen. Just makes the good ol' TechTv days seem like even more of a distant memory. Coincidentally enough, I first discovered this site through G4's The Feed website.

I know G4 is trying to re-brand itself, but with both these shows now leaving, there's really nothing to draw me to the channel in any way.

Even when they had Adam Sessler, x-play just became way too boring. I recall the best episodes of x-play were the ones in which Adam made these comedic sketches, or when they added a large amount of humor to their reviews. The past few years I didn't even like watching the show, x-play and Adam took themselves way too seriously.

As for AOTS, I loved it and I would always try to see it when I got home, but the overall quality it declined a bit when they hired Candance Bailey in Munn's place (I would have preferred Underwood or Alison Haislip). The only reason I watched it was because Kevin was hilarious (and to see Sarah Underwood). But after Kevin left, I have only seen DVDuesday and gadget pron clips, and from what I have seen all the guest hosts were terrible, so I doubt they would have survived without Kevin anyway.

When the ratings for the channel drop with those two cancellations, they'll see that it wasn't the right choice for them. They probably won't care, though it was a mistake in the eyes of a number of people.

[quote name='shrike4242']When the ratings for the channel drop with those two cancellations, they'll see that it wasn't the right choice for them. They probably won't care, though it was a mistake in the eyes of a number of people.[/QUOTE]
X-Play and AOTS was G4. The execs can say all they want but I bet you the only shows people watched were X-Play and AOTS. I hope their new channel fails so horribly they just end it.

I wish another channel would pick up X-Play because quite honestly I do believe there is a place for a gaming show and one that isn't on at 1 AM like Gametrailers TV.

I am glad I got to meet Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb about 4 months before comcrap took over. I was in like at the Pasadena, CA on the warmest May day ever recorded in Southern California history 105 that day. It was well worth the wait as I won a Leo Laporte book in line and I got both of them to sing it.

I remember thinking that it was going to be the loss of one of the best TV networks (tech tv) on tv at that time. I was right.

Well, they would have been canceled anyway once the channel changed format or have they now decided not to do that.

X-Play was something really special to me (been watching since Extended Play) and it's sad to see it go... but I can't honestly say I've been watching it as I'm a DirectTV subscriber and don't get that channel anymore. I do miss all of the amazing skits from old X-Play... And the original TechTV message boards. Oh, those wonderful old days.

yea g4 has sucked a while. cops cops and more cops. then crappy 20+ year old movies. Use to be a great network. Now just a waste. i wonder if the g4 website will continue?

I don't want to admit this, but I have probably seen 98% of the AOTS episodes when Olivia was on it. I usually only watch a couple times a week since Keven left. I never really got into xplay. I find Adam annoying and I barley resisted the urge to elbow him in the face at SDCC when he pushed his way past me in 2008. I met Hayslip when she was 'the new girl' and Blair Butler because she interviewed my friend who works for darkhorse. I didn't meet Keven or Olivia, but I walked behind them when they were live. Olivia was a natural beauty, now she is too fake looking. Sorry rambling. Getting tired.

Googled Sara Underwood because I haven't watched g4 or attack of the show in years. UGH, its no wonder they went under with such sexist pandering of having attention-whore hosts like Olivia Munn and Sara Underwood. I knew it was bad when they had Olivia Munn as the host but to follow it up with someone who is clearly even more desperate to start a "showbiz" career as Sara Underwood clearly shows they weren't the same network they started as.

You can literally see the moment in which Kevin knew he needed to get the fuck out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqUFzjR_MRs

[quote name='pacifickarma']I think you completely misinterpreted his reaction.[/QUOTE]

Nah, that's the look of disgust and shame for what his life has become. He's trying to mask it as an "I see sexy lady" stun but if you look real close you can see his eyes wondering how it has come to this.

I have to say I stopped watching the channel regularly when Charter moved it to digital at the start of the second season of Code Monkeys. If they didn't move it I'm sure I would have kept watching AOTS. I would watch for the cons and different specials from time to time, but usually changed the channel.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Googled Sara Underwood because I haven't watched g4 or attack of the show in years. UGH, its no wonder they went under with such sexist pandering of having attention-whore hosts like Olivia Munn and Sara Underwood. I knew it was bad when they had Olivia Munn as the host but to follow it up with someone who is clearly even more desperate to start a "showbiz" career as Sara Underwood clearly shows they weren't the same network they started as.

You can literally see the moment in which Kevin knew he needed to get the fuck out

[/QUOTE]You're right the normal reaction of a guy seeing a hot girl is a look of disgust.

Old X-play was awesome with its skits and then they became a serious review channel and sucked shit. RIP

^lol

About damn time... I miss TechTV still, but Tekzilla has sorta filled that void.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I think you completely misinterpreted his reaction.[/QUOTE]

I agree... Also, he's still a tOOl/douche.

[quote name='spiderman4657']Even when they had Adam Sessler, x-play just became way too boring.[/QUOTE]

No no... Morgan Webb...

[quote name='GUNNM']You're right the normal reaction of a guy seeing a hot girl is a look of disgust.

Old X-play was awesome with its skits and then they became a serious review channel and sucked shit. RIP[/QUOTE]

If he stood around looking like that every single time Sara Underwood was on set then he was further gone than one could possibly imagine and he had, in fact, completely regressed to being a 13 year old boy...

I miss the old Screen Savers and call for help. Tech TV was the greatest. Even Gamespot TV and Fresh Gear were great. Hell I think they only had for shows and still did better than G4 is doing.

[quote name='cmb00']yea g4 has sucked a while. cops cops and more cops. then crappy 20+ year old movies. Use to be a great network. Now just a waste. i wonder if the g4 website will continue?[/QUOTE]Here's an update to the story from Joystiq which refers to this:

"Joystiq has been informed by a source close to the matter that G4TV.com's gaming editorial staff at "The Feed" is being laid off, with their final week taking place before Thanksgiving. We currently don't have an official count on how many jobs have been lost. At least five editors have been laid off and a skeleton crew may remain on staff past the pre-Thanksgiving layoffs.

A representative for G4 had "no comment" regarding further layoffs. Asked if the network had intentions of continuing with what we described as any gaming content, we were referred to the attached press release, which avoids the subject."

So it looks like the company is shying away from gaming in general. What a fucking shame. All I can see in G4's future is for it to inevitably crash and burn. They're pretty much giving a big ol' "fuck you" to their fanbase and broadest audience.

So do any of the shows get a last episode to say goodbye? I remember the last episode of Unscrewed with Martin Sargent. I guess they got told right before they taped, so they made it incredibly anti-G4. It was great.

I felt bad for Tommy I remember the episode when he announced his company signed on to do the music for that xbox game where you control both guns with the analog sticks and it flopped horribly.

[quote name='Rodimus']Because he's my uncle[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry.

[quote name='AvidWriter']ALso did no one see the article that G4 was sold and the channel was taken over and becoming "GQ"?[/QUOTE]
That was announced a couple weeks/months ago, right? Considering they're already Spike-lite, this just furthers that agenda.

Someday shows on the internet will erode Cable TV viewership the same way Cable TV diminished the stature of the networks.

The way I see it - Cable TV no longer deserves quality niche shows - with rare exception it's a 24/7 stream of complete and utter crap. Once some company develops a way for the common man to easily stream shows off the internet we can stop caring about the boneheaded moves made by Cable tv stations

This is like an owner buying a team, trading/getting rid of all the expensive players and then running the team to the ground.

When Tech TV and G4 merged they were fine. But they slowly started killing off shows and I don't think they cared at that point. It was about saving money and the niche shows that couldn't sustain themselves were cut until they got to the point where these were the only two shows.

I haven't legitimately watched the channel for years except for E3, but a lot of the channels down fall can be attributed to the rise of Youtube, podcasts, and the internet in general.

Whether or not anybody admits it, X-Play and AOTS were basically the last bits of TechTV/the good portion of G4TV there was. Without those shows, which had obviously gone downhill a lot in the recent years, the network has no shot of success.

Who wants to see endless episodes of Cops and Ninja Warrior? The whole network became Cops and Ninja Warrior it was ridiculous.

There was a point in time when I cared about what happened with TechTV/G4. These days I couldn't give a crap since sites like This Week In Tech (TWIT) have pretty much filled in the void that TechTV left. Not to mention since DirecTV doesn't carry G4 then I'm glad not to be paying for a channel filled with worthless Cops and Ninja Warrior reruns. So yeah fuck G4TV.

Adam Sessler just joined Revision3 Games. So if you want more of Adam, check out Revision 3's gaming channel on you tube, or go to the Revision 3 website.

I subbed to the you tube channel after the announcement. I like Adam and I feel with more freedom to be himself, we might see better stuff from him. Although he needs to go back to the days of not combing his hair. :lol: If you don't believe me, watch old videos of Sessler on you tube.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Adam Sessler just joined Revision3 Games. So if you want more of Adam, check out Revision 3's gaming channel on you tube, or go to the Revision 3 website.

I subbed to the you tube channel after the announcement. I like Adam and I feel with more freedom to be himself, we might see better stuff from him. Although he needs to go back to the days of not combing his hair. :lol: If you don't believe me, watch old videos of Sessler on you tube.[/QUOTE]
He would have to grow some first, no? :lol:

It's been a very long time since I've even watched X-play at all. I remember enjoying it and it's shame to see it go.

I think the rest of the headline reads "...both people who still watch those shows, saddened".

I dunno, Xplay was pretty antiquated, and with far better information, video, and reviews available online, I lost interest after the neato factor of videogames being talked about on TV wore off. Sessler was probably one of the least likely TV hosts, and did the job pretty well. I met him at GDC one year and he was kinda a dick, so that turned me off on him too.

With respect to AOTS, when Olivia Munn left, I lost a good bit of interest. Not just cause she's hot, but she fit that role well, was entertaining, and not afraid to do goofy stuff. Gave a good energy for the show. When Kevin Perreira left-game over. The guy was exceptional at his job, he kept the show afloat. His quick wit, delivery, he was that show. I tried to watch it a handful of times after he left, and it was intolerable. I'm guessing Perreira saw the writing on the wall and that's why he bailed, but to me that was the nail in the coffin.

Both shows blew chunks compared to Screen Savers, Call for Help, and Extended Play (X-Play's daddy) when it was TechTV...

...for those who remember TechTV, Revision3.com is like an online version of it

bread's done
Back