• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 ShadowSx

ShadowSx

Why so serious?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

So will it be cops 24/7 now?
Whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you.. stranger.

#32 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

nothing those shows do that free podcasts don't already do better.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

Why? Tommy's a troll.

Because he's my uncle

#34 AvidWriter

AvidWriter

The Fictioner

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

AOTS was total shit.

ALso did no one see the article that G4 was sold and the channel was taken over and becoming "GQ"?

#35 Burning Karma

Burning Karma

Shepard of Fire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

Because he's my uncle

I'm sorry.

ALso did no one see the article that G4 was sold and the channel was taken over and becoming "GQ"?

That was announced a couple weeks/months ago, right? Considering they're already Spike-lite, this just furthers that agenda.

#36 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Someday shows on the internet will erode Cable TV viewership the same way Cable TV diminished the stature of the networks.

The way I see it - Cable TV no longer deserves quality niche shows - with rare exception it's a 24/7 stream of complete and utter crap. Once some company develops a way for the common man to easily stream shows off the internet we can stop caring about the boneheaded moves made by Cable tv stations

#37 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

This is like an owner buying a team, trading/getting rid of all the expensive players and then running the team to the ground.

When Tech TV and G4 merged they were fine. But they slowly started killing off shows and I don't think they cared at that point. It was about saving money and the niche shows that couldn't sustain themselves were cut until they got to the point where these were the only two shows.

I haven't legitimately watched the channel for years except for E3, but a lot of the channels down fall can be attributed to the rise of Youtube, podcasts, and the internet in general.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#38 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Whether or not anybody admits it, X-Play and AOTS were basically the last bits of TechTV/the good portion of G4TV there was. Without those shows, which had obviously gone downhill a lot in the recent years, the network has no shot of success.

Who wants to see endless episodes of Cops and Ninja Warrior? The whole network became Cops and Ninja Warrior it was ridiculous.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#39 Demolition Man

Demolition Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

There was a point in time when I cared about what happened with TechTV/G4. These days I couldn't give a crap since sites like This Week In Tech (TWIT) have pretty much filled in the void that TechTV left. Not to mention since DirecTV doesn't carry G4 then I'm glad not to be paying for a channel filled with worthless Cops and Ninja Warrior reruns. So yeah Fuck G4TV.

New sig coming soon.

#40 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Adam Sessler just joined Revision3 Games. So if you want more of Adam, check out Revision 3's gaming channel on you tube, or go to the Revision 3 website.

I subbed to the you tube channel after the announcement. I like Adam and I feel with more freedom to be himself, we might see better stuff from him. Although he needs to go back to the days of not combing his hair. :lol: If you don't believe me, watch old videos of Sessler on you tube.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#41 Burning Karma

Burning Karma

Shepard of Fire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Adam Sessler just joined Revision3 Games. So if you want more of Adam, check out Revision 3's gaming channel on you tube, or go to the Revision 3 website.

I subbed to the you tube channel after the announcement. I like Adam and I feel with more freedom to be himself, we might see better stuff from him. Although he needs to go back to the days of not combing his hair. :lol: If you don't believe me, watch old videos of Sessler on you tube.

He would have to grow some first, no? :lol:

#42 TTGSteve

TTGSteve

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

It's been a very long time since I've even watched X-play at all. I remember enjoying it and it's shame to see it go.

#43 GogetaSS4

GogetaSS4

Super Saiyan 4

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I won't be watching G4 after they remove those shows.

GogetaSS4sig-v2.gifApostleOfGod.png

#44 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

I think the rest of the headline reads "...both people who still watch those shows, saddened".

I dunno, Xplay was pretty antiquated, and with far better information, video, and reviews available online, I lost interest after the neato factor of videogames being talked about on TV wore off. Sessler was probably one of the least likely TV hosts, and did the job pretty well. I met him at GDC one year and he was kinda a dick, so that turned me off on him too.

With respect to AOTS, when Olivia Munn left, I lost a good bit of interest. Not just cause she's hot, but she fit that role well, was entertaining, and not afraid to do goofy stuff. Gave a good energy for the show. When Kevin Perreira left-game over. The guy was exceptional at his job, he kept the show afloat. His quick wit, delivery, he was that show. I tried to watch it a handful of times after he left, and it was intolerable. I'm guessing Perreira saw the writing on the wall and that's why he bailed, but to me that was the nail in the coffin.

#45 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

Both shows blew chunks compared to Screen Savers, Call for Help, and Extended Play (X-Play's daddy) when it was TechTV...

...for those who remember TechTV, Revision3.com is like an online version of it

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#46 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

I won't be watching G4 after they remove those shows.

Yes that's the point.

#47 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

UPDATE: G4 to be rebranded as Esquire Channel

#48 jousley

jousley

10yr Member of CAG!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

I used to watch those shows a lot until DirectTv dropped the channel. The greatest skit they ever had IMO was a review for a fake game: all hail Johnny Xtreme!
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=WfGSSGakTb0

#49 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

I really liked 'gamertag'. I think I am the only person who found him funny.

#50 Josh1billion

Josh1billion

日本語の学生

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Both shows blew chunks compared to Screen Savers, Call for Help, and Extended Play (X-Play's daddy) when it was TechTV...

...for those who remember TechTV, Revision3.com is like an online version of it

This seems pretty sweet; thanks for sharing. :) I loved TechTV, but I stopped watching after G4 came into the picture and sullied it with a 12-year-old's sense of humor.

Josh1billion.png

Random Garfield - comic generator

Thumb socks? More like penis hoodies...  :D/

#51 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

UPDATE: G4 to be rebranded as Esquire Channel

Wow, thanks for the laugh. Then I read the link and laughed a ton more:

...Some of the new programming -- which will focus on such genres as cooking, travel and fashion...

But hey, it can't be worse than 24 hours of Cops, Campus PD, and Cheaters a day, right? Well actually who cares, only watched it for Ninja Warrior (not American) anyway.

#52 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Don't we have Travel Channel/Cooking Channel/FoodTV/etc. for those already? Then again.. G4 isn't exactly tech/gamer stuff anyways... so no real loss.

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#53 leveskikesko

leveskikesko

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

When Extended Play and The Screen Savers were replaced with the snarky X-Play and AOTS, I completely tuned out of anything G4 or tech tv related. The old Tech tv network shows seemed to be interested in covering technology and gaming news for everyone, rather than pandering to young heterosexual men.

Here's an entire Extended Play episode from 2001.

And a full episode of 1999 The Screen Savers during the ZDtv days.

Edited by leveskikesko, 08 December 2012 - 08:56 AM.

Posted Image
http://www.prizerebe...dex.php?r=10421
This site is the ultimate deal! You do quick, 100% FREE, easy surveys and offers that get you points towards games and other game related products like consoles or digital points. No credit cards are required making it completely scam-free! (PM me for tips or more info) (I get points only if you do., so trust me, it works)
Still not convinced? Check my Prize Rebel Thread

#54 ElwoodCuse

ElwoodCuse

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

When the ratings for the channel drop with those two cancellations, they'll see that it wasn't the right choice for them. They probably won't care, though it was a mistake in the eyes of a number of people.

How can their ratings get any lower? They already got dropped by DirecTV because no one watched it.

I have to say, though, way back when I was highly amused by Tommy Tallerico's review show "Judgment Day" and that list show.
But when his drinking and lusting and his hunger for power became known to more and more people, the demands to do something about this outrageous man became louder and louder.

#55 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

G4TV has often been the least viewed cable TV network in the United States.

#56 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

When Extended Play and The Screen Savers were replaced with the snarky X-Play and AOTS, I completely tuned out of anything G4 or tech tv related. The old Tech tv network shows seemed to be interested in covering technology and gaming news for everyone, rather than pandering to young heterosexual men.

Here's an entire Extended Play episode from 2001.

And a full episode of 1999 The Screen Savers during the ZDtv days.

I miss Tech TV. :( And Kate Botello. :(
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#57 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

How can their ratings get any lower? They already got dropped by DirecTV because no one watched it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Time Warner Cable drops them eventually too. Since there was talk this week of them dropping low rated cable channels.

Just the way the story in the link describes it, this "revised" network will be dead on arrival. It sounds exactly like what they're trying with Bravo, which is another channel owned by Comcast now.

#58 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Forget G4TV. It was hardly a blip on your real cable bill. I wish they would let you opt out of getting all the sports channels. ESPN is expensive relative to other channels. I'd probably subscribe to cable again if I could opt out of all sports.