ps3 new super slim high pitch noise problem

butternuts

CAGiversary!
Just got my black friday bundle for the the ps3 superslim. I take it home and begin to play around with it and the thing is quiet as a mouse. I slap in a disc to play uncharted and it makes this consistent high pitch noise that literally drowns out everything else and gives me a headache after only 5 minutes. I just wanted to see if this was a flaw or something they all do because if it continues I can no longer keep the console. So is anyone else having this problem with it?

My disc noise is super loud and you can constantly hear it stopping & turning but I'm keeping it because it's still quieter than the fat I traded in. High pitch not so much. I'd try taking it back and showing it to them.

I was just searching for the same thing. Mine is so loud my ears are still ringing and I'm sitting on the couch. Even my dog is freaking out. You can hear it over movies, games, anything.

I made a quick video. It's loudest at 5 seconds in (left side of the system)

Is this normal?

I dunno. From the video, it seems like it gets louder depending on where you're sticking the mic. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is a noise problem, but the youtube video is nowhere near the dog-freaking out level...

[quote name='Rasen']I dunno. From the video, it seems like it gets louder depending on where you're sticking the mic. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there is a noise problem, but the youtube video is nowhere near the dog-freaking out level...[/QUOTE]

You're correct it is loudest on the left side of the system. I should have filmed it from the couch but I wanted to show where it was loudest.

Here's a second video. This time from the couch. You can hear how loud it is while the game is loading. This is what it sounds like while it idles, plays movies, etc. It gets drown out a little bit once the game starts but it's still loud enough to be heard (not so great in the video)

**EDIT**

Called Sony support and they could hear it over the phone. Have to send it off for repairs. Amazon didn't have anymore to exchange it. Looks like I don't get to play with it for 3 more weeks...hooray :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate noisy systems, especially if high-pitched, and I just bought the new slim BF bundle for xmas too. I really don't relish the idea of finding out after my kids open it on Xmas. I guess the only thing to do is to set it up now and see if I get that problem. Will Target take a return of an opened system? Because if mine does that, it's definitely going back.

That's discouraging. I'm not sure I want to open it and risk not being able to return it. Argh. Anyone have one of these and NOT having this issue?

[quote name='crunchewy']That's discouraging. I'm not sure I want to open it and risk not being able to return it. Argh. Anyone have one of these and NOT having this issue?[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth Target's return policy and customer service is excellent. I'd be genuinely surprised if they didn't take it back no hassle at all, just walk to the cs desk and tell them you'd like to return it.

Hmm, I have the same problem as shown in the video. It is really annoying especially because it can be heard over movies and games from the couch. Looks like I'm also going to have to call Sony support since I also bought mine from Amazon.

I think I'm just going to return it unopened. Does anyone know if the existing $250 PS3 that comes with no games - is that the same design, or the squeal-free design? Not as much of a bargain, but it's not worth it to get one that's going to drive me insane.

Or for that matter, what models out there now, whatever bundle, are the squeal-free edition?

I don't think this is a widespread issue since I'm not seeing too many reports of it. I'm reading plenty of loud Bluray drive issues but mine is pretty quiet.

Anyway, looks like I'm getting a replacement from Amazon. Hopefully the next one doesn't have this issue.

Quick note that at least one person in the "Infamous Bundle" thread says their super slim PS3 from the bundle does not exhibit the problem. So there is hope. :) I guess I'll plug ours in this weekend and see if it's afflicted or not.

no noise but im having a hell of a time getting uncharted 3 to work on it the mp i mean.it freezes up all he time on the connecting, syncing screen. took me 2 days to finally get past it and into a game and after the game ended it froze again.

[quote name='lokizz']no noise but im having a hell of a time getting uncharted 3 to work on it the mp i mean.it freezes up all he time on the connecting, syncing screen. took me 2 days to finally get past it and into a game and after the game ended it froze again.[/QUOTE]
i thought uncharted 3 multiplayer freezing was a common issue? which has nothing to do with the ps3, but more in line with the server

[quote name='YBX87']i thought uncharted 3 multiplayer freezing was a common issue? which has nothing to do with the ps3, but more in line with the server[/QUOTE]

not like this it isnt ive never had issues like this with my previous ps3s and uncharted 3. out of 39 some attempts ive only played 2 games and they both froze when the game ended.

I opened up our BF bundle and hooked it up and put in Infamous as well as a DVD and did not notice this problem, thankfully. Christmas can go on! :)

It is a little clinky and clunky as it jumps around on the disc, but did not have the high pitched squeal. Happy.

[quote name='CombatCraig']You're correct it is loudest on the left side of the system. I should have filmed it from the couch but I wanted to show where it was loudest.

Here's a second video. This time from the couch. You can hear how loud it is while the game is loading. This is what it sounds like while it idles, plays movies, etc. It gets drown out a little bit once the game starts but it's still loud enough to be heard (not so great in the video)

**EDIT**

Called Sony support and they could hear it over the phone. Have to send it off for repairs. Amazon didn't have anymore to exchange it. Looks like I don't get to play with it for 3 more weeks...hooray :([/QUOTE]

Holy crap that's annoying. I wouldn't be able to use that console. You would think that after so many hardware revisions Sony would have this kind of thing figured out.

IMO they should just stop supporting the PS3 and move onto the PS4. The PS3 has caused them a lot of problems. They should also abort the PSV now. They dont have much support for development and they are losing money when they sell it.

As I noted, my BF super slim doesn't have the problem, so it seems it's a defect and should be fixable by an exchange or warranty repair. Also pleased with how small the console is, and yet has an interval power supply. Nice!

Never buy new models its just like cars when new body style comes out.

I got Last Ps3 Slim before super and its so quiet i love it.

have the BF infamous/uncharted 250gb model, and no issues to report from this one, it's been used pretty regularly since i got it.../possible jinx.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Do the super slims have these issues with games on the hard disk? I only use my PS3 for digital stuff these days.[/QUOTE]

What issue? The high-pitched squealing noise in the OP? Not all are afflicted - ours isn't - so this would seem to be a repairable defect on only some of them. The super slim seemed dead silent when I was messing with it, except for spinning discs which was a little loud (not high-pitched, just the usual rushing wind sound of a fast spinning disc and clunking sounds when seeking). However I didn't really play any games except to test for the OP problem. I didn't hear any fan noise at all, but I didn't do much with it before boxing it back up for Xmas.

Does it come with a stand to set up vertically? I don't recall seeing one in the box. I want to set ours up vertically as that's how I can fit it in our TV stand (not going to put the 360 vertical).

Lame. I'll look for it. Thanks.

From what I can tell a stand may not exist for this. Maybe just not yet? It looks like the existing stands are for the non-super-slim. But I'm not sure.

Seems like my 500gb super slim makes a high pitch noise when playing a blu-ray movie after maybe 30 minutes to an hour. During games, it isn't as noticeable but it's there (even after long hours of play).

When standing it up, it seems to fade away.

I'm not so bothered by it, as long as the ps3 doesn't crap out on me.

My inFamous bundle super slim is making the high pitch noise as well. It signs like when you have a ringing noise in your ear. I can't unhear it, so I'm looking to see if I can take it back to Walmart.

Hmm. I hope mine doesn't get that noise after 30 minutes of a BR or game. That will suck. It definitely didn't right away, but I only tried a game for a few minutes (and a DVD - I don't have any BRs yet). I'll update after Xmas and we put it to real use.

I traded in my old fatty ps3 for the 500GB with assassins creed, so far havent had this problem. So there is hope, sorry about yours. Havent touched mine much though, hopefully this doesnt develop.

I didn't really notice it until I played a couple minutes into Asura's Wrath. Before then, I played PS All Stars for an hour and didn't notice it, or didn't realize where it was coming from. I'm going to play some other games this afternoon and see if I can hear it in them. I think Walmart has a 15-day warranty on game hardware, so I need to return it pretty soon.

I have this same problem with my Super slim. Every time there is some loading or cutscene you can hear it struggle to read the disc then it goes back to normal for like 5 minutes until it starts loading again.

We have played our super slim quite a lot since setting it up on Xmas, including playing a BR movie, and we do not have this problem at all.

However Uncharted 1 isn't working. It crashes the PS3 every time it tries to start the save.

My super slim PS3 makes the same high pitched sound as the OP :whistle2:( I bought it new on release day & within a few days I noticed this damn sound wasn't going away. I was hoping the "break in period" would make a difference, but the sound isn't going away.

I took the PS3 with me out of state when I was taking care of my mom after her surgery. I didn't have the receipt on me & had no way of exchanging it at GameStop :mad: I did buy a Square Trade extended warranty, but I don't want a repaired or refurbished console. I want a brand spanking new console. Guess I need to look into my options >.>

...you guys are scaring me because I just got the Uncharted bundle from GameStop (paid 160+ because I traded my YLOD 60gb for 120 thanks to the current promo). Do hope it's not a serious issue ^_^;

Now I'm actually thinking if GameStop still sells the older slim and I could probably replace mine, though I highly doubt it since I can't track it on their website (save for the used/refurbished ones).

Well, as I said, ours is not making the sound at all. I did get Uncharted 1 to work by deleting the patch and saves (not sure if that mattered) and redownloading the patch. Now the game works, but the cut scenes are a stuttering mess. I have to pause and resume over and over to get through them. The game parts work perfectly, though. Maybe I have a bad disc? If so I'm not sure if I can return it since it was part of the BF bundle. Uncharted 2 doesn't have any issues. Nor does Infamous or our other games.

it might be the disc because I got this bundle from bestbuy before black Friday does make noise like any console but only one in a while it is still more quiet than my xbox 360 slim. And about uncharted drake's fortuneI don't have those problems and haven't had problems to this date with my ps3

I'm a first time ps3 owner and I too bought super slim on BF, I noticed that the system is loud overall but like I said, I'm a first time owner so I don't know what it is supposed to sound like. Definitely not anything obnoxious, just loud and I can hear the laser mechanism moving around when reading discs.

[quote name='crunchewy']Well, as I said, ours is not making the sound at all. I did get Uncharted 1 to work by deleting the patch and saves (not sure if that mattered) and redownloading the patch. Now the game works, but the cut scenes are a stuttering mess. I have to pause and resume over and over to get through them. The game parts work perfectly, though. Maybe I have a bad disc? If so I'm not sure if I can return it since it was part of the BF bundle. Uncharted 2 doesn't have any issues. Nor does Infamous or our other games.[/QUOTE]
I would say bad disc probably. Mine worked fine, and I just popped it in, patched and away I went. I think it's about $12 used at Gamestop.

So sorry to take so long to reply (been out for weeks) I got my PS3 back from Sony right before and I left and the sound is gone. Doesn't say anywhere if they repaired, replaced, or did anything. But the sound is gone

Totally forgot that i made this thread.

As an update just wanted to say that I took it back a few days after my first post and best buy replaced it quick and easy.

The sound is no longer there and works perfectly. I will admit that the disc spinning can be loud, though not grating and annoying, but i believe that is just a general thing when it it loading. Which depending on the game can go on an off for a few seconds as it loads the current area especially if it is a game that preloads to get rid of loading screens.

Apparently it is a problem with the hardware.

Good to see that I am not the only one having the problem though and i'm not just acting crazy.

I dont have the super slim but I'd advised against putting any console vertically. Sure they made it so that you have the option but its just better for the console to be flat. The weight is being distributed in a whole broad area as opposed to just one small area. I think it will increase the life time of a console, IMO. Been rocking my 80 gig ps 3 fatty for many years now with it being on easily 10 hours a day.

bread's done
Back