Kindle Fire $129 ($30 off) - Amazon Cyber Monday Deal

[quote name='CheapyD']http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083Q04IQ

Use code FIREDEAL at checkout; limit one discount per customer.

Yes, it plays games.[/QUOTE]
Free ones, daily! I got mine last BF. I've loved all it can do. And the size is just perfect for holding to watch a movie. Any bigger and I think it'd tire out my arms quickly.

[quote name='Sairou']No SD card slot? D:[/QUOTE]
It's actually not that big of a deal. The games that are large enough to need more space can't be played on it anyway... :) My only complaint is that apps have their own section of the storage. So it fills up even though there's open space in the books and movies side. I've got 11 games installed on mine right now and I've only used 3/4 of the available space.

That being said if you're looking to play high end tablet games this isn't the device for you... if angry birds and simple games like those are what you're looking for this is a great price.

[quote name='Sairou']No SD card slot? D:[/QUOTE]

and Neither does the ipad or Nexus 7/10. SD card isn't a standard feature.

wow that's a pretty nice deal. I bought one last year for my wife and she is addicted to the thing... Which is good since it allows me more time to game

Edit: The no SD card slot isn't really an issue, it comes with cloud storage and has enough internal memory to store plenty of books, music, and apps

[quote name='62t']and Neither does the ipad or Nexus 7/10. SD card isn't a standard feature.[/QUOTE]

On Android it generally is. No reason to get defensive, he just asked a question and the answer is no.

I just bought the 8gb last week for $129 and I"m relaly happy with it.

Pros:
-Inexpensive
-Change the brightness at any time
-Crapton of movies available if you have prime (Netflix+Crackle+Hulu+HBO GO at no extra cost if you are subscribed to those services)
-Seems to fit in just about any pocket
-Internet browser is surprisingly good, just as functional as a PC browser.
-5gb cloud storage through amazon services
-The device is 'open' for the most part, you don't have to install extra software to import movies or pictures into the device, simply plug and play.

Cons:
-Lack of support from 3rd party developers (no google apps, no microsoft apps)
-Advertising on the lock screen (you have to pay an extra $15 if you don't want the advertising)
-The book reading voice thing thing is 'hit or miss', but I don't read books so I don't care.
-Won't charge through just about any USB port. You can charge it through your PC but it'll give you a message saying it's not optimal and won't charge if you use it, instead you have to buy their proprietary wall charger if you want it to charge at a normal pace.
-No HD support, even at 7'' movies can look a bit blurry.

[quote name='Fresh8142']wow that's a pretty nice deal. I bought one last year for my wife and she is addicted to the thing... Which is good since it allows me more time to game
[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause:

[quote name='Mugatu']On Android it generally is. No reason to get defensive, he just asked a question and the answer is no.[/QUOTE]Except on the flagship devices Google sells.

I wont give up my nexus 7 however if you want a tablet for the kids the fire at this price is much better than getting them a crappy leapad.

Can it read books and shit like a regular Kindle? A family member of mine wants it regular Kindle to read books, but if I can upgrade it to this it would be better.

I agree, its really not that big of a deal. Like you said the games for the kindle are pretty small. Plus if an sd card is really needed I believe you can get an addition 8gb for about $10
[quote name='Woocls']It's actually not that big of a deal. The games that are large enough to need more space can't be played on it anyway... :) My only complaint is that apps have their own section of the storage. So it fills up even though there's open space in the books and movies side. I've got 11 games installed on mine right now and I've only used 3/4 of the available space.
coo2.gif

That being said if you're looking to play high end tablet games this isn't the device for you... if angry birds and simple games like those are what you're looking for this is a great price.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Woocls']It's actually not that big of a deal. The games that are large enough to need more space can't be played on it anyway... :) My only complaint is that apps have their own section of the storage. So it fills up even though there's open space in the books and movies side. I've got 11 games installed on mine right now and I've only used 3/4 of the available space.
[/QUOTE]

This is my number 1 complaint. 8GB storage is pre-partitioned into something like 1.2GB for apps (read: games) and and the rest for videos/music/etc. While it's true that Angry Birds only takes up 30MB, look at some of the Humble Bundle games. Zenbound 2 is 180MB, Anomaly HD is 160MB. Chaos Rings is something like 800MB, I think.

You must also root the device in order to access the Google Play Store to get android apps, or else you are locked into the amazon store.

So don't go into it expecting a full gaming tablet or you will be sorely disappointed. That being said, I like it for what it is, and I primarily read books and browse internet (Dolphin browser, not the default browser).

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Can it read books and shit like a regular Kindle? A family member of mine wants it regular Kindle to read books, but if I can upgrade it to this it would be better.[/QUOTE]

Yes it can, but be aware that the screen is different from the other Kindle models. I think it is backlit, so there is glare in sunlight, but will perform well in the dark whereas other kindles need a flashlight to read in the dark.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Can it read books and shit like a regular Kindle? A family member of mine wants it regular Kindle to read books, but if I can upgrade it to this it would be better.[/QUOTE]

Yes it can, but be aware that the screen is different from the other Kindle models. I think it is backlit, so there is glare in sunlight, but will perform well in the dark whereas other kindles need a flashlight to read in the dark.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Can it read books and shit like a regular Kindle? A family member of mine wants it regular Kindle to read books, but if I can upgrade it to this it would be better.[/QUOTE]Yes, it is pretty good for that (though not as good as the paper white).

My wife and I stopped by a local Apple store over the weekend to checkout the Retina Ipad when we saw the Ipad Mini. That thing feels like its 4x lighter than the Retina Ipad. I really thought that the Mini was going to be my first Mac product until I read the specs (2011 A5 chip and non-Retina display). This world is just so cruel. I'm going to have to look into other tablet options.

By the way, does anyone know if the Apple tablets will work on any existing wireless router, or are they so picky and only work with their proprietary Apple wireless router?

[quote name='Investor']By the way, does anyone know if the Apple tablets will work on any existing wireless router, or are they so picky and only work with their proprietary Apple wireless router?[/QUOTE]

Yes, any wireless router should be fine.

[quote name='Investor']My wife and I stopped by a local Apple store over the weekend to checkout the Retina Ipad when we saw the Ipad Mini. That thing feels like its 4x lighter than the Retina Ipad. I really thought that the Mini was going to be my first Mac product until I read the specs (2011 A5 chip and non-Retina display). This world is just so cruel. I'm going to have to look into other tablet options.

By the way, does anyone know if the Apple tablets will work on any existing wireless router, or are they so picky and only work with their proprietary Apple wireless router?[/QUOTE]

Google Nexus 7.

[quote name='orangecrush']Yes, it is pretty good for that (though not as good as the paper white).[/QUOTE]
I actually managed to adjust the color and text font until I enjoy it much more than the paper white. I read a lot in low-light or dark areas and being able to have white text on a black background has gone a long way to curb my eye strain. This might also be an option on the paper white but I didn't spend enough time with it to know (was borrowing a friends for the day).

[quote name='Woocls']I actually managed to adjust the color and text font until I enjoy it much more than the paper white. I read a lot in low-light or dark areas and being able to have white text on a black background has gone a long way to curb my eye strain. This might also be an option on the paper white but I didn't spend enough time with it to know (was borrowing a friends for the day).[/QUOTE]

Its not. Paper white is just a e ink screen with a backlight.

e ink is the BEST for reading. Normal kindles with e ink screen still cant be beat for simply reading books.

The fire is a piece of crap IMHO. I got one for my birthday and found it unusable. After struggling with it nonstop, I gave it to the wife.

How well does the fire handle image intensive homemade pdfs?
I still occasionally play DnD with my friends, but I'm getting kind of sick of hauling 20-30 pounds of books to the sessions.
Also, do you HAVE to have wifi/3g, or can you put content onto it via usb?

My mother loves her Kindle Fire HD, but prepared to have to have an amazon account and a credit/debit card on file just to download stuff. There are ways around it but if you are using it as is, that is what to watch out for, as you can't download any apps or games without having something on file. Not a big deal though, just for her it was, as she didn't want her information saved on amazon.com at first.

As far as hooking up via a computer with USB, you do get access to the built in storage if you want to dump files to it, but you may want to find a file browsing app to use on the kindle (can't think of the name but there are plenty out there to get off the amazon market).

[quote name='VA']The fire is a piece of crap IMHO. I got one for my birthday and found it unusable. After struggling with it nonstop, I gave it to the wife.[/QUOTE]

Your avatar fits you nicely.

[quote name='Kaiselius']How well does the fire handle image intensive homemade pdfs?
I still occasionally play DnD with my friends, but I'm getting kind of sick of hauling 20-30 pounds of books to the sessions.
Also, do you HAVE to have wifi/3g, or can you put content onto it via usb?[/QUOTE]
I imagine it handles them just fine. I mean, it handles full motion video... And you can transfer stuff using usb just fine. that's how I put the humble bundle APKs on it.

The guy who said you need a proprietary plug for it was wrong. I charge mine off my cellphone charger all the time.

Thinking about getting one for my mother, she was curious about one and this is actually a good price. For someone who isn't tech savvy, would anyone recommend this? Or should I spring for the Fire HD for her?

[quote name='m3talst0rm']If you're looking for cheaper, cowboom.com has the Kindle Fire (Pre-Owned) for 89.99 + 5 shipping today.[/QUOTE]

1... its used

2... its the first one

this one is the new upgraded model

Tempted to buy one just to play games on it but Just cant pull the trigger

at 99 bucks i would of and if IT CAME WITH THE CHARGER (WHAT IT DONT) i would of

I had a Fire, bought one at launch. Wasn't a bad tablet, but the gimped android O/S, lack of Google Play store, substandard Silk browser, and limited storage finally pushed me to upgrade to a Google Nexus 7, and sell my original Fire. Not a bad tablet, but those issues just finished it for me; and I decided against the new crop of HD Fires for some of those reasons as well.

Eh, as much as my back would thank me, I think I'm gonna pass. Besides the book portion, it's sever capacity and media format(I can understand mkv, but no avi support?) limits really reduce it's usefulness for me. Plus the increase in price to get rid of the nag screen pretty much cancels out most of the savings from the deal.
Wouldn't be surprised if it goes cheaper in a few months anyways.

wonder how many gb some of these RPG games are out there

I hope it goes out of stock soon cause im really freaked tempted to buy one just to play games on it..

is it worth it just to play games on them

[quote name='slidecage']1... its used

2... its the first one

this one is the new upgraded model

Tempted to buy one just to play games on it but Just cant pull the trigger

at 99 bucks i would of and if IT CAME WITH THE CHARGER (WHAT IT DONT) i would of[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I thought the one on Amazon was the same model as cowboom. I didn't realize there was a second Fire non hd.

[quote name='slidecage']
is it worth it just to play games on them[/QUOTE]

Depends on what kind of games you're interested in. If it's just angry birds type games than it should be fine, but if you're talking about bigger games than you should look elsewhere.

The kindle fire was designed to deliver amazon product and service to you, that's it.

The "good" RPG and games are around 1GB give or take, and with only about 5GB available the most you can fit is about 4 or 5 games

[quote name='RoMee']Depends on what kind of games you're interested in. If it's just angry birds type games than it should be fine, but if you're talking about bigger games than you should look elsewhere.

The kindle fire was designed to deliver amazon product and service to you, that's it.

The "good" RPG and games are around 1GB give or take, and with only about 5GB available the most you can fit is about 4 or 5 games[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Solu...s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1353961315&sr=1-940

most of these games say 22 mb so am i missing something

or are these the crap RPG s

[quote name='slidecage']http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Solu...s=mobile-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1353961315&sr=1-940

most of these games say 22 mb so am i missing something

or are these the crap RPG s[/QUOTE]

The app is not that big, its the data.
For example Symphony of Eternity (one of the better RPG) is only about 30mb but it requires you to download about 1GB of data.

Not all games are like that, only the good ones, like Shadowgun, or Deadspace, or N.O.V.A 3 etc.

[quote name='RoMee']The app is not that big, its the data.
For example Symphony of Eternity (one of the better RPG) is only about 30mb but it requires you to download about 1GB of data.

Not all games are like that, only the good ones, like Shadowgun, or Deadspace, or N.O.V.A 3 etc.[/QUOTE]

crap i think i just pass on it until they fall to 99 or so....

130 bucks is sort of high for a 4th handheld (already got a 3ds xl. vita, and PSP)

if it was 99 i been all over it

Thanks Cheapy - we have been waiting to pick one of those up for quite a while, and that is a great price!

shit. I hope they have another deal like this near Christmas. I was looking to pick up 2 for my mom and gf. Any hope that they or anyone else may do this again?
BF kinda broke me :( lol

bread's done
Back