Kindle Fire $129 ($30 off) - Amazon Cyber Monday Deal

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 HyperG

HyperG

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

My mother loves her Kindle Fire HD, but prepared to have to have an amazon account and a credit/debit card on file just to download stuff. There are ways around it but if you are using it as is, that is what to watch out for, as you can't download any apps or games without having something on file. Not a big deal though, just for her it was, as she didn't want her information saved on amazon.com at first.

As far as hooking up via a computer with USB, you do get access to the built in storage if you want to dump files to it, but you may want to find a file browsing app to use on the kindle (can't think of the name but there are plenty out there to get off the amazon market).

www.GamersVlog.com - Enter for game giveaways.

#32 luxuria

luxuria

Memories of You

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

The fire is a piece of crap IMHO. I got one for my birthday and found it unusable. After struggling with it nonstop, I gave it to the wife.

Your avatar fits you nicely.

#33 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

How well does the fire handle image intensive homemade pdfs?
I still occasionally play DnD with my friends, but I'm getting kind of sick of hauling 20-30 pounds of books to the sessions.
Also, do you HAVE to have wifi/3g, or can you put content onto it via usb?

I imagine it handles them just fine. I mean, it handles full motion video... And you can transfer stuff using usb just fine. that's how I put the humble bundle APKs on it.

The guy who said you need a proprietary plug for it was wrong. I charge mine off my cellphone charger all the time.

#34 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Root it and put Jelly Bean on it and you'll have one rad little tablet.
sudo mklove

#35 mrclutch

mrclutch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Part of me want to buy this but I would guess msrp would be this or less before long.

#36 Blackjack13

Blackjack13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Thinking about getting one for my mother, she was curious about one and this is actually a good price. For someone who isn't tech savvy, would anyone recommend this? Or should I spring for the Fire HD for her?

#37 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

If you're looking for cheaper, cowboom.com has the Kindle Fire (Pre-Owned) for 89.99 + 5 shipping today.

1... its used

2... its the first one

this one is the new upgraded model

Tempted to buy one just to play games on it but Just cant pull the trigger

at 99 bucks i would of and if IT CAME WITH THE CHARGER (WHAT IT DONT) i would of
WOOOO I STINK

#38 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

I had a Fire, bought one at launch. Wasn't a bad tablet, but the gimped android O/S, lack of Google Play store, substandard Silk browser, and limited storage finally pushed me to upgrade to a Google Nexus 7, and sell my original Fire. Not a bad tablet, but those issues just finished it for me; and I decided against the new crop of HD Fires for some of those reasons as well.

#39 Kaiselius

Kaiselius

Serial Self-Molester

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Eh, as much as my back would thank me, I think I'm gonna pass. Besides the book portion, it's sever capacity and media format(I can understand mkv, but no avi support?) limits really reduce it's usefulness for me. Plus the increase in price to get rid of the nag screen pretty much cancels out most of the savings from the deal.
Wouldn't be surprised if it goes cheaper in a few months anyways.

#40 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

wonder how many gb some of these RPG games are out there

I hope it goes out of stock soon cause im really freaked tempted to buy one just to play games on it..

is it worth it just to play games on them
WOOOO I STINK

#41 m3talst0rm

m3talst0rm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

1... its used

2... its the first one

this one is the new upgraded model

Tempted to buy one just to play games on it but Just cant pull the trigger

at 99 bucks i would of and if IT CAME WITH THE CHARGER (WHAT IT DONT) i would of

Sorry, I thought the one on Amazon was the same model as cowboom. I didn't realize there was a second Fire non hd.

m3talst0rm17.png

#42 RoMee

RoMee

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

is it worth it just to play games on them

Depends on what kind of games you're interested in. If it's just angry birds type games than it should be fine, but if you're talking about bigger games than you should look elsewhere.

The kindle fire was designed to deliver amazon product and service to you, that's it.

The "good" RPG and games are around 1GB give or take, and with only about 5GB available the most you can fit is about 4 or 5 games

#43 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

It is NOT the Fire HD, so, GARBAGE!

#44 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Depends on what kind of games you're interested in. If it's just angry birds type games than it should be fine, but if you're talking about bigger games than you should look elsewhere.

The kindle fire was designed to deliver amazon product and service to you, that's it.

The "good" RPG and games are around 1GB give or take, and with only about 5GB available the most you can fit is about 4 or 5 games

http://www.amazon.co...961315&sr=1-940

most of these games say 22 mb so am i missing something

or are these the crap RPG s
WOOOO I STINK

#45 RoMee

RoMee

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

http://www.amazon.co...961315&sr=1-940

most of these games say 22 mb so am i missing something

or are these the crap RPG s

The app is not that big, its the data.
For example Symphony of Eternity (one of the better RPG) is only about 30mb but it requires you to download about 1GB of data.

Not all games are like that, only the good ones, like Shadowgun, or Deadspace, or N.O.V.A 3 etc.

#46 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

For example Symphony of Eternity (one of the better RPG) is only about 30mb but it requires you to download about 1GB of data.

Not all games are like that, only the good ones, like Shadowgun, or Deadspace, or N.O.V.A 3 etc.

crap i think i just pass on it until they fall to 99 or so....

130 bucks is sort of high for a 4th handheld (already got a 3ds xl. vita, and PSP)

if it was 99 i been all over it
WOOOO I STINK

#47 SallyNasty

SallyNasty

Super Sassy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

Thanks Cheapy - we have been waiting to pick one of those up for quite a while, and that is a great price!

#48 e Skrilla

e Skrilla

64Bit Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

shit. I hope they have another deal like this near Christmas. I was looking to pick up 2 for my mom and gf. Any hope that they or anyone else may do this again?
BF kinda broke me :( lol
Posted Image

#49 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Examples from my Kindle (includes app and save data):
Eve of Genesis: 604KB
Plants vs Zombies: 79.49MB
Cut the Rope: 30.49MB
Cut the Rope Experiments: 53.98MB
Avadon: The Black Fortress HD (not even supposed to run on this but it does): 188MB
Anomaly HD: 158MB

So even your larger games don't take up a lot of space. Only the console type games take up a lot of space. And they don't really run well on the non-HD fire anyway.

#50 Jeatsee

Jeatsee

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

i got the original kindle fire for christmas last year. i really like it. i read a ton of more with it. its nice having netflix/crunchy roll player, the comixology app (always wait for their 99 cent sales), i have an iphone too and of course the amount of games on kindle fire is way less but they have a lot of the big titles like the angry birds series, wheres my water, most gameloft games , most ea games (nba jam is fun), other games i like puzzle quest, rayman jungle, pinball arcade, league of evil.

its a nice little reader, lay around the house an browse the internet, play a few games, watch some videos machine. for me if a person wants an inexpensive tablet i would go for the fire or fire hd if they want to spend a lot more get the regular iPad.

#51 Jeatsee

Jeatsee

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

yeah some games can be large but i never am playing a bunch of the large ones all at once. like i always have some smaller games on (angry birds space, angry birds star wars, wheres my water, league of evil etc) and then like a large one like the dark knight ill play it and then when done delete it from the kindle

#52 Backlog_Overload

Backlog_Overload

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Root it and put Jelly Bean on it and you'll have one rad little tablet.

I flashed Liberty to my phone this week. Not sure if they have a version that would work on the Kindle, but if they do it would be great. I actually like my phone again.

#53 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Eh, as much as my back would thank me, I think I'm gonna pass. Besides the book portion, it's sever capacity and media format(I can understand mkv, but no avi support?) limits really reduce it's usefulness for me. Plus the increase in price to get rid of the nag screen pretty much cancels out most of the savings from the deal.
Wouldn't be surprised if it goes cheaper in a few months anyways.

The google play store has tons of video players that can play any and all file formats. And for those that have your Nexus 7/Fire rooted, OTA rootkeeper will allow you to temporarily unroot your tablet so you can use streaming services like Flixster.

Formerly known as slickkill77