Biggest Disappointments of this Console Generation

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#31 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

One off the top of my head is DLC. I get that its great to be able to continue and enrich a game after release, but the fact that its used to nickle and dime the crap out of you is ridiculous. Not to mention that in some games, to be able to really compete online you HAVE to download the latest greatest DLC depending on the game

When I was in High School a friend got a 100% on a D.A.R.E. test and they gave him a D.A.R.E. duffel bag. Two years later, a drug dealer that was a friend of ours at the time asked to borrow something to transport 2kg of cocaine in and he handed over his D.A.R.E. bag. He brought it back to him with an oz of weed in it as a thank you.

#32 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

One off the top of my head is DLC. I get that its great to be able to continue and enrich a game after release, but the fact that its used to nickle and dime the crap out of you is ridiculous. Not to mention that in some games, to be able to really compete online you HAVE to download the latest greatest DLC depending on the game

DLC is a good one!

#33 HumanSnatcher

HumanSnatcher

Disappear here...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

DLC is a good one!

Lets not forget the debacle of Street Fighter X Tekken. Honestly, I haven't played that game any because I'm not paying to unlock whats on the damn disk to begin with. The only way I'll ever get the extra fighters is if I ever bought the Vita version for dirt cheap new to get them on my PS3

When I was in High School a friend got a 100% on a D.A.R.E. test and they gave him a D.A.R.E. duffel bag. Two years later, a drug dealer that was a friend of ours at the time asked to borrow something to transport 2kg of cocaine in and he handed over his D.A.R.E. bag. He brought it back to him with an oz of weed in it as a thank you.

#34 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

For example, mine is the fact that I have not been able to pilot an X wing yet on console.

I can definitely sympathize with this disappointment. The reason for it is fairly obvious. The developer who was responsible for the excellent X-Wing games on the N64 and GameCube took a crack at making Lair for the PS3 and bombed hard. (speaking of disappointments...Lair) That failure of a game sank the studio.

And LucasArts themselves have been circling the drain for years. (yet another disappointment, the Force Unleashed games) So now we live in a world where some of the most capable Star Wars game developers are out of business.

Aside from game and studio-related nitpicks like the ones above, I don't have much to be disappointed in. It helps considerably that I'm single and have a steady job with regular income. With my Cheap-Ass approach to game shopping, I can afford far more games than I can actually play. I was able to find solid, desirable experiences on all the various platforms. Here's hoping that the coming hardware cycle will be equally as solid.

#35 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

Gamers.

Gaming has definitely reached a larger demographic during this console generation: while it sounds like fun to play Wii bowling with the entire family (even Grandma!), I think it's actually done a fair share of harm... bringing us the casual/freemium model, the resurgence of shovelware and the overall simplification of gaming.

Somehow, despite gaming being bigger than it ever has before, console gaming seems to really be hurting. Many developers are closing up shop, or going Grapes of Wrath on our asses and moving to the casual gaming/mobile scene to stake their claim. There are still lots of people buying games, but most of those games are Call of Duty, or used games from Gamestop... so now we have publishers changing their games to fit the CoD crowd (Resident Evil 6), and introducing all sorts of digital purchase models (episodic content, online passes, DLC) to try and recoup the costs they lose to the used market.

As much as we like to blame Activision for their yearly, derivitive sequels or Capcom for their whacky DLC plans, the real cause of all of this are the consumers, the gamers. We speak with our money, and the gaming industry listens. I've still mostly enjoyed this console generation(so I'm partly to blame), and I think we've actually improved on a lot of things in this generation too, but when I reflect on the current situation of gaming, and what's to come if things stay this way (I've seen more than a few big-wigs talking about how free to play is the future of gaming), I definitely feel dissapointed.

#36 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

DLC and downloadable games. Last generation, you could get a compilation disc with a lot of games for $20 (Midway Arcade Treasures for example), now you are expected to pay $5 a game. I don't like DLC because I feel like a lot of the DLC content is stuff that should have been included in the first place especially DLC on the disc from day 1 of the game's release.

Besides that and the forced motion control for Wii games (I gave up on Mario Galaxy because of the controls), one thing I don't was mentioned yet was the installing and updating games. I rarely play PC games and like console games because you took the disc or cartridge and started playing the game. Now when you get a new game, half the time you either have to wait 20 minutes to install part of the game to the hard drive or download a system update. Not to mention it's annoying if you have an earlier system with not a lot of hard drive space, you are going to be constantly installing and deleting games with a 20GB or 40GB hard drive when 1 game can take 7GB to install. Too add to that, there are also way too many games being released that are buggy. Now with updates, a company can rush a game out and release a patch later. How about making sure the game works right before releasing it?

Also for some reason, the games from this generation seemed less fun to me. I used to follow the industry very closely back in the N64 and PSX days and mostly during last gen. Now I almost don't even care, maybe because each game seems so similar. Yeah there were some great games released but it seems like there were far less compared to past generations and that is part of the reason I am going to wait a while before getting an new console when the next Playstation and XBox are released.

#37 tukai

tukai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

Lack of great final fantasy games and dragon warriors/quest. Square - Enix overall

#38 Richard Kain

Richard Kain

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

As much as we like to blame Activision for their yearly, derivitive sequels or Capcom for their whacky DLC plans, the real cause of all of this are the consumers, the gamers. We speak with our money, and the gaming industry listens.

Actually, I think your ire might be misplaced. A large reason for the current state of the console market is actually the spiraling costs of development, not the growth of the casual market. The core demographics for more traditional console gaming never went away, and they didn't shrink. Even more people are buying and playing hard-core console games than ever before.

The difference isn't the growth of casual games, it is how expensive AAA games have become to produce. Where the average game of prior console generations would usually require a studio of twenty to thirty core developers, they now require multiple studios with hundreds of full time employees. The radical costs of modern game development are the reason why publishers have become so wary of any experimental concepts.

Casual and mobile game development simply provides a market where lower cost development is feasible. In many ways, these outlets are helping to save the game industry.

#39 Abear21

Abear21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

The fact that CoD, Battlefield, and Medal of Honor type FPS games with experience point systems are still so popular. Sorry, I'm an old school Unreal Tournament player. We never needed experience points as a reason to keep playing that game. We played for fun.

I'm with you 100%

It's weird that there are so few good online shooters. Don't get me wrong, as a console gamer I'm thankful this gen has brought proper online multiplayer to living rooms, but where's the variety and imagination?

Killzone 3 and Battlefield 3 are my two favorite online shooters but this is out of necessity and the lack of choice is strange. COD or Battlefield or basically the choice gamers have if they want full lobbies.

#40 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Lack of great final fantasy games and dragon warriors/quest. Square - Enix overall

Make a decent (not fantastic) FF - sell millions

Make one of the best, if not the best JRPG this gen - sells like shit, shut the studio down (Nier)

Lost Odyssey also didn't sell well, which really broke the cliché of Japanese characters. Another fantastic game (which wasn't SE)

I don't blame SE. I blame RPG gamers.

#41 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Pikmin 3 - Challenge Mode is DOPE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

Super Smash Bros Brawl online play being absolutely atrocious + no further updates for the game from Nintendo... :(

The introduction of Playstation Move, the Kinect and Nintendo's focus on the casual gamer. Really disappointing.

The introduction of the "online pass" system.

RE 5 (huge letdown coming from RE4 imo).

The Fable series. Monotonous, extremely boring games.

PS Vita. Really don't know what I was expecting from the system. Game library was a huge bust coming from the amazing PS3 game library.

Edited by antlp89, 04 December 2012 - 09:12 AM.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#42 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Downloadable only games with only local MP. Looking at you Scott Pilgrim and the tens of others on XBLA/PSN.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#43 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

1. Madden. Why was football so much more fun a gen ago?

B/C they had competition from NFL 2K and Visual Concepts. Not entirely EA's fault as the NFL loves their exclusivity deals but that's why.

This gen may be seen as the beginning of the end of sports gaming as all sports games are essentially exclusive now to one publisher, be it EA for most things, 2K for basketball, Sony for baseball, and Activision for NASCAR. Don't like the game, don't buy it, but then we won't make another one so enjoy your old sports game sitting on the shelf at GS for $30 used years later (see NASCAR 09 and NCAA Basketball 10, hell NASCAR 11 also.)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#44 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Yay. I get to be the first to mention Lair and Haze. Two formerly amazing developers – where did it all go wrong? :cry:

At least their story is less crazy than Silicon Knights. RIP Eternal Darkness.

42869.png

#45 buffdrew84

buffdrew84

Used PSI Cheapness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Agreed on the multiplayer focus of the current gen games.

Also, game length is a issue in and of its own right. I don't mind a fantastic 6-7 hour campaign. If a game pads it out to seem longer (or cuts too much to make it short) it all feels unnecessary, or alternatively a jip. A game like tales of graces should and usually is 40 hours long. Whereas the average FPS is like 6. My disappointment stems from the FPS games try to be 10-12 hours long and the RPGs try to be 100 hours long.

Uncharted, which is undoubtedly my favorite series of this gen especially uncharted 2 is the perfect length that it doesn't feel cheap or overstay its welcome

Grizzly Bear says

"Mo Honey Mo Problems"

Tradelist:

http://cheapassgamer...ad.php?t=151559

#46 cochesecochese

cochesecochese

corrompido e imoral

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Unfair to Nintendo as it is, my biggest letdown was the Wii by far. To be fair I expected nothing from the HD twins and boy did they deliver. Outside of the Souls games and a few digital games on PSN, the HD twins were boring as hell.

Anyways I got a bad feeling in my stomach the minute I started playing Wii and realized it wasn't true motion gaming even though it was fun. The software lineup didn't compare personally the same way that the Gamecube's library did. It was heartrending watching all that potential waste away.

this signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by satan. go ahead dauntlessly! make rapid progress!

#47 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Blatant DLC Nickle and Diming
The creation of the Season Pass and the idiots that justify its existence
Lack of a Jade Empire sequel, console KoToR or next gen Star Wars Battlefront
Developers taking their core audience for granted and insulting them publicly
Every closing title of a trilogy this year and last year (Gears of War 3, ME3, AC3, etc.)
Bioshock Infinite being delayed
The swift merciless death of RPG elements I enjoy for throat forced streamlining
The ridiculous "BALANCE/NERF ALL THE THINGS" mentality that bled into co-op gaming to artificially lengthen games while coddling whiny "pros" who refuse to play anything else

The list is far too long to bother continuing.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#48 gambit444

gambit444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Mass effect3

Mass effect started this gen so your in order for 3 to have been your biggest letdown this gen 1 & 2 must have been your best.

for me its:
- Wii - got one at launch & just kept taking hit after hit of dissapointments.
- DLC nickel & diming/ on disc locked content/ constant patching and then no patching if the game is not doing well enough
- Online passes/ Developers bitching about used games & not getting enough money. Talk to your boss. I, the customer, don't wanna hear it.
- Multiplayer shoehorning. Not everything needs multiplayer.
- Harware failures / ROOD/ YLOD- In all my years of gaming i have never had a console break down on me & it seems like they deem it acceptable

#49 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Make one of the best, if not the best JRPG this gen - sells like shit, shut the studio down (Nier)

To be fair, the reviews were pretty lackluster. It is only later when fans said it was underrated that it got my attention. And yes, it is probably one of the best of this generation. Certainly the best soundtrack. I just wish I could find my copy...

The FF games suffer from a similar problem of a lot of games this generation: too much focus on the pretty, not enough on the gameplay.

Anyways I got a bad feeling in my stomach the minute I started playing Wii and realized it wasn't true motion gaming even though it was fun. The software lineup didn't compare personally the same way that the Gamecube's library did. It was heartrending watching all that potential waste away.

I guess it might be because I came in late, but I didn't find the Wii to be a disappointment at all. It could have used more games, but I was quite happy with it.
Posted Image

#50 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Agreed on the multiplayer focus of the current gen games.

Also, game length is a issue in and of its own right. I don't mind a fantastic 6-7 hour campaign. If a game pads it out to seem longer (or cuts too much to make it short) it all feels unnecessary, or alternatively a jip. A game like tales of graces should and usually is 40 hours long. Whereas the average FPS is like 6. My disappointment stems from the FPS games try to be 10-12 hours long and the RPGs try to be 100 hours long.

Uncharted, which is undoubtedly my favorite series of this gen especially uncharted 2 is the perfect length that it doesn't feel cheap or overstay its welcome

Agreed. I think all games should be in the range of 10-15 hours (and cost $40 max). There are too many games and you can't play them all when it takes 50+ to get through something like Borderlands or Skyrim. A lot of them are just long for the sake of being long - Skyward Sword I'm looking at you.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#51 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I can't say that I'm really disappointed with this generation. There's really only two things that I didn't like.

The first being the push for motion control when I'd really just rather use a controller.

The second being Grand Theft Auto IV. I beat it and enjoyed it but I had hoped R* was going to capture the magic of an atmosphere similar to Vice City instead of the gritty direction they went. It wasn't bad, just not what I had hoped for.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#52 buffdrew84

buffdrew84

Used PSI Cheapness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Agreed. I think all games should be in the range of 10-15 hours (and cost $40 max). There are too many games and you can't play them all when it takes 50+ to get through something like Borderlands or Skyrim. A lot of them are just long for the sake of being long - Skyward Sword I'm looking at you.

OMG! Somebody actually agrees with me without calling me names. First time ever on CAG!

Grizzly Bear says

"Mo Honey Mo Problems"

Tradelist:

http://cheapassgamer...ad.php?t=151559

#53 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Make one of the best, if not the best JRPG this gen - sells like shit, shut the studio down (Nier).

The game looks and plays like a PS2 game. So yeah it might be a great JRPG by today's standards but that's like saying you are the tallest midget. This generation has been an absolute disappointment when it comes to JRPGs.
Xecutioner
CML

#54 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I don't mind long games, even with not having a lot of time to play.

I don't really care about keeping up with games, or playing every good game that interests me.

Makes no difference to me if I'm just playing one game pretty much for a few months (like I have been with Borderlands 2 since mid september, and Skyrim over the summer) or playing a handful of shorter games over that time. As long as I'm having fun, it's all good.

DLC I'm also fine with. I'm not much of a cheapass and I love extending a game I love. I don't like the nickel and dime crap either, but that's easy enough to skip. But I love good DLC that really adds to a game like Borderlands 2 or the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 3, Oblivion and Skyrim expansions etc.

Edited by dmaul1114, 04 December 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#55 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

The biggest disappointment this generation has been the developers bullying consumers. Period. Look guys we are not the problem for you getting in over your heads. Just because Call of Duty set the benchmark for "big business" in video games; doesn't mean every video game out there has to be a bank roller or shut down the company.

It isn't my fault your online games don't differentiate themselves enough for each other where I need to buy online passes to make up for medicore or lackluster games. How come I don't to buy online passes for halo 4 and call of duty? Because those games are good enough where developers don't need to shoehorn every dollar out of the consumer for medicore games that will undersell.

Also why is it my fault for underperforming sales of single player games I used to love; when this entire industry in the west groomed guns and online kill simulators as the reason for the decline of single player gaming in general? My friends I grew up with still buy TONS of single player games...So what's the beef? The beef is these kill simulators sell so damn much nowdays that every thing pales in comparison, and big whig CEOS view the fact that their single player games can't keep up as an embarrassment.

#56 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

No new Star Fox, Wave Race, F-Zero.

The retreat of JRPGs from mainstream force to weird niche. The fact that Final Fantasy XII turned out to be a dead end for the series instead of a foundation to build on (and I say this as a huge fan of Final Fantasy XIII).

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#57 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Some great comments here. I'll echo the person who mentioned DLC or just downloadable stuff being overpriced in general usually.

Hearing about "Wipeout HD" its cost and corresponding track length it sounds like a ripoff to me when you consider the amount of tracks from on disc releases and their comparative costs.
That's one of my biggest issues. These fucking companies argue it's cheaper, what with not having to print a manual, disc, etc. However in the process they don't give you a corresponding value in terms of the content of a game on disc. That wouldn't even be so bad if the price fit the cost in the aforementioned factors, see: $10 or possibly $5 or less(if they're going to nickel and dime you on tracks or other things). The latter cost especially takes into account the lack of cost of the other things.
On another note, as much as there is bitching with MP3 single player conclusion, and rightfully so, Bioware has given us our value worth in terms of MP. Whether this is out of guilt or not who knows but it makes me feel like I got more of a value buying the disc.
As for Virtual Console here, my suggestion is to just buy a Japanese Wii and download the games from it there. You won't be disappointed looking at the amount there. I mean "Cybersled" and even "Starblade"(I think for this one) are on VC arcade on the Japanese Wii. :D
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#58 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

The Wii - don't need to explain
Japanese Games - completely fell off the map
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#59 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

- Screwing consumers to screw gamestop (DLC, online passes, digital)
- Game breaking bugs that don't get fixed
- Lack of niche games
- Gimmicks (Wii mostly)
- Poor pricing. Angry Birds retail being $30? Some low-budget titles releasing at $60? (Velvet Assassin e.g.)

#60 jputahraptor

jputahraptor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Capcom giving up on Mega Man, don't get me wrong, I am glad for 9 and 10 but there hasn't been a original not compiliation console release of a Mega Man game in almost 10 years. There are other classic games that haven't seen releases this generation although as much as I hate download games in theory, I do enjoy that avenue for smaller games to get made.

Wii as well. I tried to buy games for all 3 but percent wise of time played would go like this. Xbox 360 50%, PS3 40%, Wii 10%. There is just such a crazy amount of shovelware on the DS and Wii that Nintendo seems to have given up on any kind of quality control, most of the games on the disc use only a fraction of what a disc can hold. They sell for retail prices but they aren't even full games compared to some live arcade games that can last 10+ hours.

I agree with the person who mentioned gamers. There are a lot of overly critical reviewers these days that just bash everything, I just finished Mindhack which got universally negative press and while i only played single player, it was an average game to a gamer that has played literally hundreds and thousands of games. A lot of gamers just rip into anything and don't enjoy the games. I do wish games would try to cut back of all the excess story and voice acting when neccessary, gameplay takes a backseat a lot of times to the story and while that is fine, I bought the game to play it, not to watch it.
"Slap a liberal today, you'll both feel better."
"Nobody dies an atheist."
http://i464.photobuc...maSocialist.jpg