Biggest Disappointments of this Console Generation

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#61 AugustAPC

AugustAPC

Inebrious Infinitus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Companies taking the concept of DLC and exploiting it to make it one of the worst, if not the absolute worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

Edited by AugustAPC, 04 December 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#62 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Lost Odyssey also didn't sell well, which really broke the cliché of Japanese characters. Another fantastic game (which wasn't SE)

LO was indeed a good game but it was a pretty dusty gem percisely because it was cliche. I loved the dream stories and what they did to Kaim and the early feel of the game, but am I the only one who remembers all the shit this game pulled? Gongora says hello:

Spoiler

LO doesn't even deserve mention amongst Sakaguchi's best. And look at Mistwalker's other titles, Blue Dragon and Last Story also being ridden with uninspired character and design choices. This company was a big letdown when you consider the names behind it, or as someone else mentioned, maybe everyone's standards for Japanese games have simply hit rock bottom. Throw in a world map and some potion throwing, and that's enough nostalgia to get us through a generation, apparently.

UjCoyFa.png

#63 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

The game looks and plays like a PS2 game.

Personally, I'd take that as a compliment, given a lot of the mostly style/little substance that seems to be pervasive this generation.
Posted Image

#64 bkjohns1

bkjohns1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I've only had my PS3 for a year and my biggest hassle is needing internet (which I can't afford) for somethings. Oh look here is a complete version with bonus material that is only available via download such as Arkham Asylum to play as the Joker or the Arkham City GOTY or Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition.
bkjohns1.pngsig.gif
My goal for 2012 was to fund my gaming habit through reward sites which still continues on into 2014. You can read about my "journey" here.

#65 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Make a decent (not fantastic) FF - sell millions

Make one of the best, if not the best JRPG this gen - sells like shit, shut the studio down (Nier)

To be fair, NieR's developers made a lot of crap. Bullet Witch, Drakengard 1 and 2, Dead Aim, a bunch of shitty licensed games...

NieR was awesome, but it was a bizarre outlier.

Posted Image

#66 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

To be fair, NieR's developers made a lot of crap. Bullet Witch, Drakengard 1 and 2, Dead Aim, a bunch of shitty licensed games...

NieR was awesome, but it was a bizarre outlier.

You shut your mouth! Drakengard was a great game!
Posted Image

#67 OrangeArmy

OrangeArmy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

1) Rare and Silicon Knights. Rare started sucking at the end of last gen but I was hoping they'd turn it around and start being great again. BK: Nuts and bolts was promising but no. In a lot of ways, Retro and Platinum are now the studios I hoped Rare and SI would become.

2) No proper Pokemon console RPG.

3) Motion controls.

4) COD team death match. It's too good. I need to kick this 5 year crack habit so I can play some other stuff in my ridiculous back log. I haven't even finnished Mass Effect 1 or Mario Galaxy 2 yet.

#68 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

You shut your mouth! Drakengard was a great game!

It had some really cool aesthetics (grey, empty, foggy environments aside) and its apocalyptic feel was pretty neat and the basic concept is cool. It was also ugly, pointless, and incredibly repetitive. The unique awfulness of its sequel actually made it look pretty good in comparison. But it wasn't. It was bad. It was always bad.

Posted Image

#69 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

It had some really cool aesthetics (grey, empty, foggy environments aside) and its apocalyptic feel was pretty neat and the basic concept is cool. It was also ugly, pointless, and incredibly repetitive. The unique awfulness of its sequel actually made it look pretty good in comparison. But it wasn't. It was bad. It was always bad.

I'll give you that it was repetitive (I'd know, I unlocked every weapon in the game to see all the endings), but the story was great, and it had 5 pretty cool and very different endings, that I think made the grind worthwhile. Also, I'm one of the few people that really, really loved it's experimental music style.

I'd understand people not liking it, but it wasn't a BAD game. Just average.

EDIT: I'm aware I said it was great in my previous post. That's my subjective opinion, my feelings on the game reflected in a word. I feel calling it bad is being harsh, when I feel it's clearly not "bad".
Posted Image

#70 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Gamers becoming so whiny and $90-$100 games are the first two things that come to mind.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#71 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Personally, I'd take that as a compliment, given a lot of the mostly style/little substance that seems to be pervasive this generation.

I didn't mean to disparage the game but IMO Neir would be considered a middle of the pack PS2 JRPG. However, I do agree that by today's standards it stands out as being superior to the rest of the crap out there, as I stated in my original post.
Xecutioner
CML

#72 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

The single largest disappointment - the net increase in time between "I put a disc into my console" and "I actually start playing the game". Consider this a combination of Day-Zero patches, mandatory installs, any kind of free-for-new-games DLC that isn't on the disc. I don't hate any one of these things in particular, just the entire waiting ten minutes to play a game thing.

smaller things: The fact that Duke Nukem Forever was actually released, while Starcraft:Ghost wasn't.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 never getting localized.

Nintendo's Store setup. Why can't I play SNES games I buy on my Wii on my 3DS? I can't be the only person who wants this.

Half-Life 2: Episode 3

#73 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Nintendo's Store setup. Why can't I play SNES games I buy on my Wii on my 3DS? I can't be the only person who wants this.

At least the 3DS plays DS games. And uses SD cards instead of bullshit proprietary memory cards.

Man, the Vita is such garbage. That's another disappointment for the list.
Posted Image

#74 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Huh? I play PSP games on my Vita all the time.

The memory card prices are too high though.

I would put the 3DS on the list though due to this being the first time (at least for me) experiencing a poorly built Nintendo product. The screen is wobbly (no, it's not normal since the newer made ones don't have that issue) and the top screen touches the bottom when closed and leaves marks. Sent it back to Nintendo and the one they replaced it with has the same issues.

#75 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Huh? I play PSP games on my Vita all the time.

Oh, cool! Where's the UMD port? I can't seem to find it!
Posted Image

#76 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

You're onto something. It would have been an amazingly great idea for the Vita to have a UMD drive.

Silly Sony for not designing it to have one.

#77 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

XBox 360 *HARDWARE*

#78 Renaissance 2K

Renaissance 2K

*nom nom nom*

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

The genocide by publishers of creative, relevant game studios.

This list is about a year out of date, but it's still pretty striking: http://kotaku.com/58...down-since-2006

Sony's studio closures have probably gotten the most publicity, but I highly doubt that other publishers haven't done the same thing. Many times, the studio has been reorganized or renamed so many times, their fans don't even realize the pedigree.

Last week, NCSoft dissolved Paragon Studios - the developers of City of Heroes - because, while the game was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough. I understand how opportunity cost works, but it's not like Paragon was reassigned to another one of the publisher's products. They were just fired.

Earlier this year, Sony dissolved Studio Liverpool - once known as Psygnosis - because they weren't generating enough revenue after being shoe-horned into developing only two of the publisher's second-tier franchises. The games sold well, but not extraordinarily well, so the studio got the ax.

#79 j-cart

j-cart

BOOM BOOM SHAKE SHAKE, NOW DROP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Don't forget Sony forcing Zipper to implement the Move with Socom 4. Then shutting down Zipper for the terrible sales that was Socom 4 and thus ruining the SoCrack series.

#80 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

The genocide by publishers of creative, relevant game studios.

This list is about a year out of date, but it's still pretty striking: http://kotaku.com/58...down-since-2006

Sony's studio closures have probably gotten the most publicity, but I highly doubt that other publishers haven't done the same thing. Many times, the studio has been reorganized or renamed so many times, their fans don't even realize the pedigree.

Last week, NCSoft dissolved Paragon Studios - the developers of City of Heroes - because, while the game was profitable, it wasn't profitable enough. I understand how opportunity cost works, but it's not like Paragon was reassigned to another one of the publisher's products. They were just fired.

Earlier this year, Sony dissolved Studio Liverpool - once known as Psygnosis - because they weren't generating enough revenue after being shoe-horned into developing only two of the publisher's second-tier franchises. The games sold well, but not extraordinarily well, so the studio got the ax.

Agreed. IMO this is what will ultimately bring the industry down. It will not be the used game market or us (CAGS) never paying full price for games. Today, every publisher is obsessed with reaching COD sales numbers (to appease the investors/stockholders), which is unrealistic. The amount of money needed to produce a AAA title today is at an all-time high, significantly more then at any other point in videogame history. These publishers are investing a ton of money to produce a game and the only way to recoup their initial investment is by having "incredible" sales numbers. As it stands today, the majority of publishers are failing to meet their market projections and those that are fortunate enough to do so are doing so on the backs of a handful of AAA franchises. There is something alarmingly wrong with this business model. Look at THQ as an example of a publisher that couldn't keep up with "Joneses". I understand that a lot of us, gamers, believe that innovation and new IPs are the answer but new IPs require time. They must be brought along slowly, given long development times and a chance grow a solid fanbase. Time is something most of these publishers do not have. They are looking for panacea today.
Xecutioner
CML

#81 HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Big Things:

1. Lack of AAA titles that do something different.
2. Too much hand holding
3. How close review websites are to companies.

Smaller things that don't effect gaming itself as much:

1. Proprietary Hardware ($80 32GB card, $120 250GB hard drive)
2. Region Locking (Stupid Wii/3DS/Xbox)
3. Lack of localization on JRPGs or JPN games.
4. Square pushing FFXIII games down our throat instead of KHIII or Versus.
5. The rising popularity of "set piece" games like Uncharted.

Posted Image

#82 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

1. Nintendo - I was happy to see Nintendo reach the top after 2 generations in last place but the quality of their releases this generation was laughably bad. For all the talk of innovation and new gaming capabilities, the Wii was full of casual garbage and regular garbage. Plus, their online play was awful. Although the DS is my 2nd favorite console this generation, I would still rank Nintendo the biggest disappoint of this gneeration because of how bad the Wii has been.

2. Xbox 360 hardware - The 360 has great games and is a great system. But it's the most unreliable console I've ever had (yes, including the NES). I had to get my original system repaired three times before MS broke the drive tray which wasn't covered under the warranty. Plus, the cost of their HDDs and wi-fi adapters was ludicrous. I'm glad they finally fixed everything with the S model, but damn, they took their sweet time.

3. Mass Effect 3's original ending - Spending over 90 hours over 3 games, I was expecting something more climactic than "door 1, door 2 or door 3?". And I was expecting to see an ending that was longer than 2 minutes. ME3 was a great game until the final part and the ending. The revised ending was "better" but the memories have already been ruined.

4. Sony's constant blunders - Sony what had mattered this generation: the games. The PS3 had the best exclusives this generation. The PS3 itself, is an awesome machine. But Sony just couldn't stop doing stupid shit: their initial arrogance, high hardware price, poor updating system, removing features and poor security.

5. DLC - It was a great concept, to be able to play new stories within games you love. Too bad it mostly turned into a money grab.

Currently playing:
:psp: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - :) :bomb:

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#83 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

My Xbox 360 breaking 6 times in the course of the first 5 years of it's life cycle.

Yeah I love my PS3. Not sure why anyone would buy a 360 given that it is total crap hardware.

#84 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Yeah I love my PS3. Not sure why anyone would buy a 360 given that it is total crap hardware.

The original, sure, but at least they fixed them for free. I had a YLOD PS3 for the better part of a year until I decided to bite the $130 Sony bullet to fix their junk system.

Not a single issue with the Slim 360.

Not enough original IP's. Probably like this with every generation but I feel like everything that comes out is like the 7373726 iteration of call of duty

Spoiler

That's a lot of original IP to get through in one generation along with the sequels and rehashes.

#85 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Just comes down to games. I have both, but use the 360 more as I like Halo and Gears of War etc. more than the PS3 exclusives (though there are some good ones, and I'm glad I eventually got a PS3). I also like the 360 controller a lot more, and have friends/family that game on 360 and none with PS3s, so anything I want to play online I get on 360 as I won't game with randoms.

I've had decent luck with hardware too compared to most. My original 360 died (RROD) just outside the 3 year warranty. But I've had my slim model for over 2 years with no problems at all. Only big gripe I had with MS was how they treated me when my Live account was hacked last fall. That pissed me off and, I actually traded in my 360 to get the PS3 last winter. But they eventually made it right and sent me a new console and some games for free. I still played the PS3 mainly for a few months out of spite, but have shifted back to 360 lately with Skyrim over the summer (PS3 version doesn't run as well) and Borderlands 2 since September (friends/family play on that platform).

#86 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

The original, sure, but at least they fixed them for free. I had a YLOD PS3 for the better part of a year until I decided to bite the $130 Sony bullet to fix their junk system.

Not a single issue with the Slim 360.

Should be enough of a disappointment for all that we can actually have debates over whose hardware was shoddier. Between yellow lights, red rings, and cracked hinges, it wasn't a good generation for early adopters.

#87 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I don't know if I can say these are my biggest disappointments for this console generation, but they do come to mind as disappointments. I'm also including portables as a console.

Nintendo:
-3DS XL + DS Lite + Gameboy Advance SP = Stronger hinge/louder speakers for the 3DS XL and a GBA port to play all DS / Gameboy games and accessories.
I would probably pay $200 for a 3DS XL if it had a GBA port built-in.
-I am kind of surprised that Nintendo didn't release an official adapter that lets you use your NES/SNES/N64/Sega Genesis controllers to connect to your wiimote for the Virtual Console. The classic controller was great and all, but didn't have the old school feel.

Sony:
-External UMD drive for the Vita or the PSP Go. It wouldn't be portable, but it would be nice to have the option.
-External PS2 component to let you play PS2 games again on current models of the PS3.
-PSP 1000/2000/3000 no official bluetooth support so you could use your PS3 controller with A/V out. I know it would probably be bulky. I'm enjoying my PSP Go and a pair of bluetooth headphones.

Microsoft:
-Accessory prices for hard drives, steering wheels, and wireless network adapters. (I have an Elite 360 and refuse to pay so much for a wireless N adapter. I run a 100 ft ethernet cable just to make up for it.)
-Hardware problems (I have never experienced this, but have heard enough from so many. Hoping my system makes it to the next generation, if not I'm out. May just get a 4GB S model just for the exclusives and slap in my 120 GB drive in it.)
--System failures and unreliable rechargeable battery packs. I hope to find a lithium ion battery pack or continue to use rechargeable AA batteries.

#88 buffdrew84

buffdrew84

Used PSI Cheapness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Corvin....

I didn't say there weren't ANY original IP's but..... a lot of those you listed are just ok, lets be honest here.

but, agreed on Uncharted (which has sequels now, along with many of those you mentioned), walking dead and limbo!

Grizzly Bear says

"Mo Honey Mo Problems"

Tradelist:

http://cheapassgamer...ad.php?t=151559

#89 Playstation4LyFE

Playstation4LyFE

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

SOCOM 4 was a huge dissapointment.

#90 j-cart

j-cart

BOOM BOOM SHAKE SHAKE, NOW DROP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

SOCOM 4 was a huge dissapointment.

Yes it was, so bad it killed off Zipper Interactive.