Vita on "Disappointment Lists" for 2012

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
I've seen the Vita listed as one of the biggest disappointments of 2012 (Game Informer, Gamasutra) and I think it's incorrect and maybe (hopefully) premature to write it off like that.

It's had some amazing games in it's first 10 months on the market:
Persona 4, Virtues Last Reward, Little Big Planet, Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and more.

Now with PS+ for Vita you can get 2 of those games (and others) "free" with your sub.

It's easily the most technically advanced handheld to date and most people that actually own one enjoy it. The Vita runs circles around the 3DS technologically.

So have the Vita's sales been disappointing? Absolutely. Is the memory card pricing outrageous? No question. If it doesn't pick up more 3rd party support is the Vita done for? Yep..

Basically what I'm saying is that I completely disagree with the Vita itself being on these disappointment lists. The Vita itself is not a disappointment imo (aside from the 3G which was clearly DOA to everyone but Sony).

It should be Sony's handling of the Vita that's been a disappointment in 2012. Had Sony dropped the price of the system and the memory cards, more people would have bought the damn thing to begin with, and they would have inevitably gotten more support.

It is Sony's stubbornness that is one of the biggest disappointments of 2012 imo. Sony needs to be called out here, not the device that they've made or the games which have so far been released for it.

I don't quite think it's too late just yet though. They will hopefully announce a couple more games sometime in the next few months, drop the price, and maybe add LBP or another bigger game to the PS+ library, and enough people will buy the thing to keep it alive and gain some more support in 2013.

On a side note, Sony's stubbornness with price does not bode well for the PS4. They need to quickly learn from their mistakes or they will die a sad death. Particularly if the next Xbox releases first which is highly likely, and who knows what Valve is coming up with..

Edit: Game Informer does say that "Sony released - in terms of functionality and graphical power - the greatest handheld ever made"...and notes some of the big releases. It just points out that nobody seems to care. I still think they should be specifically calling out Sony's poor handling of the Vita as one of the main reasons nobody cares.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you posted in the wrong section, but from what I'm seeing from future releases in Japan, I'm disappointed in the vita too. They lost some of their best titles to the 3ds like Monster Hunter and the Shin Megami Tensei series (SMT 4 is apparently coming out for the 3ds).

If sales go up for the vita, I can see them probably remaking some of the titles on 3ds right now for the vita with bonuses and that'll help steer the fans back to Sony but at the rate they're selling the Vitas right now, it seems unlikely. I mean a while back PSPs were actually doing better than the Vita.

Right now, all I'm seeing on the releases chart from Japan is a bunch of harem visual novels and not much RPGs save for Valhalla Knights 3 and Tales of Hearts R. There are a few more noticeable games but these are the ones with the larger fanbases.

It's a shame cause the Vita is such a nice piece of hardware that has potential if it only had more games on it.

[quote name='ShockandAww']It should be Sony's handling of the Vita that's been a disappointment in 2012.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but to the end user, "Sony's Handling of the Vita" and the Vita by itself are one and the same. They haven't done what they needed to, so the system is underwhelming.

I want to be convinced to buy one of these badly, it looks like it could be great. Wish they'd get it together.

Seriously? We lost out on SMT 4? The lack of JRGs in the US is the reason why I can't convince myself to buy one. I already own a PSP so I can play all the ones released on them. The Vita basically has Persona 4 (which I already played) and not much else.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']Seriously? We lost out on SMT 4? The lack of JRGs in the US is the reason why I can't convince myself to buy one. I already own a PSP so I can play all the ones released on them. The Vita basically has Persona 4 (which I already played) and not much else.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Persona, but the original SMT line(Nocturne) is going in the direction of the 3ds.

Dammit yep, wrong section.

And yes fair enough that the general consumer doesn't give a shit whether it's the Vita itself or Sony's handling of it. It may as well be the same thing. I guess I just wish they'd note that once you actually own one, the Vita is pretty damn nice and that this is Sony's fault specifically and not the Vita as a device.

Honestly, I might get a 3ds sometime in the future if the releases continue to be this bad, but right now I'm really happy with my vita even if it doesn't have many games going for it. I use it more than my iphone for surfing the web because the screen is big and it's good for watching netflix or youtube. I also have plenty of ps1 games on it and a huge backlog of ps3 games so I've got the patience.

The reason why I'm not too keen on the 3ds is because of the region lock and the 3D function doesn't really impress me. The best thing going for it right now are the selection of games and that is a huge advantage, otherwise it's pretty much just a fancier DSiXL for me.

Honestly, I think that a lot of the people who throw around the "no games" argument either aren't paying attention, or have a pretty narrow taste in games. There are some great games available for the Vita, certainly more than I would have expected from the successor to the PSP at this point. The memory card prices are absurd though, and are by far the most disappointing thing about the system. Currently, the Vita's future is pretty damn bleak, but things could still go either way. The PS3 is a fine example of that.

What am I saying? This is the internet. The Vita is a piece of shit with no games, just like the Wii and the PSP. :roll:

The reason people say the Vita "has no games" is because most of the good titles are rehashes of PS3 titles. Rehashes that are much more enjoyable on the PS3 (Dualshock controller, HDTV, surround sound, etc).

If you take these rehashes away the Vita really has a select few good games in its library. A more accurate statement would be the Vita has no "unique Vita games".

The problem (for me at least when I had one) with the Vita is that at the moment it can only offer a watered down PS3 experience rather than an experience of its own.

I'm really not surprised at the lack of sales for the Vita. The PS3 is a hell of a lot better value for the money.

Even the 3DS offers more unique experiences than the Vita which is probably why it sells better despite it being the technologically inferior device.

[quote name='antlp89']The reason people say the Vita "has no games" is because most of the good titles are rehashes of PS3 titles. Rehashes that are much more enjoyable on the PS3 (Dualshock controller, HDTV, surround sound, etc).

If you take these rehashes away the Vita really has a select few good games in its library. A more accurate statement would be the Vita has no "unique Vita games".

The problem (for me at least when I had one) with the Vita is that at the moment it can only offer a watered down PS3 experience rather than an experience of its own. [/QUOTE]
Spot on. This is exactly the reason I won't be buying a Vita for a long time (if ever).

All games on Vita keep getting hap hazard reviews killing hype and interest and nothing is a system seller like Mario. Sony and MSFT have lost their system exclusives this generation. Everything is multi platform or on Nintendo only. Only a very very few select top notch triple-A games, if that even, are still console exclusives (handhelds included) that make 1 console worth buying over another.

Vita being more than the price of a console doesn't help either.

By the way, I want a Vita, but I can't justify if for games that have zero interest to me. Right now, only Lumines has me interested, but I don't need another puzzler game. Wipeout and Uncharted would be a fun play, but I can live without.

There are too many good games I need to play on other platforms. Between my DS/3DS, Wii (U), and PC I'm backlogged into retirement.

All games on Vita keep getting hap hazard reviews killing hype and interest and nothing is a system seller like Mario. Sony and MSFT have lost their system exclusives this generation. Everything is multi platform or on Nintendo only. Only a very very few select top notch triple-A games, if that even, are still console exclusives (handhelds included) that make 1 console worth buying over another.

Vita being more than the price of a console doesn't help either.

By the way, I want a Vita, but I can't justify if for games that have zero interest to me. Right now, only Lumines has me interested, but I don't need another puzzler game. Wipeout and Uncharted would be a fun play, but I can live without.

There are too many good games I need to play on other platforms. Between my DS/3DS, Wii (U), and PC I'm backlogged into retirement.

I'll buy a Vita when they make one with a UMD port and a Memory Stick Pro Duo slot.. Or give me free digital copies of all my PSP games.

So, probably never.

It's apparent to me that with the VITA people have fucking lost their minds. The truth is the VITA is hands down the most beautiful and powerful handheld ever. The people that say there aren't any games are stupid. The people that complain it isn't a PS3 are a bunch of fucktards, let's compare the 3DS to a PS3 and see how they compare. The people that say the games are watered down ports haven't played them.

The whole point is this is a HANDHELD device, meant to be played outside the house.

Where is this magical 3DS library that everyone is talking about?

Paper Mario - Yep it's similar to the console versions
New Super Mario - Yep it's similar to the console versions
Mario Tennis - Yep it's similar to the console versions
Zelda Ocarina - Remake (I'll concede it looks great)
Starfox 64 - Remake
Kid Icarus - Could have been better on a console due to the control scheme
Resident Evil Revelations - My favorite game thus far and an original game
Super Mario 3D Land - Perfection and made me want the 3D on at all times
Animal Crossing -Yep it's similar to the console versions

eShop has some decent titles - Pushmo, Mutant Mudds, etc.

I haven't seen too many games to be looking forward to in the 3DS lineup either. Castlevania is on my list right now.

The PSP got a bad wrap but had a lot of really good games and it seems as though the VITA is falling into that as well. I do think it is cost and lack of advertising.

I think everyone forgets the VITA has a massive library already. Vita games, PSP games, PS Minis, PSone, and PS mobile games. The 3DS has nothing that can match the value of PS+.

I personally loved Uncharted on the VITA. I kept thinking is this really on a handheld?

Everyone forgets about the PSN titles Escape Plan, Sound Shapes, Mutant Blobs etc.

I'm just tired of hearing the same old crap with the VITA I love mine and the same things that people say about the VITA can be said for the 3DS (ports, remakes, not as good as console versions etc.).

EDIT: The other thing about the VITA is the features that no one talks about, the one in particular for me is how it handles it's sleep function. The ability to stop a game anywhere and put the system to sleep (without it killing the battery) has been a godsend.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I'll buy a Vita when they make one with a UMD port and a Memory Stick Pro Duo slot.. Or give me free digital copies of all my PSP games.

So, probably never.[/QUOTE]

Why can't you just play PSP games on your PSP?

I don't understand how a handheld that's been out less than a year and is just now going through it's first holiday season can be considered a disappointment.

My only real gripes with Sony when it comes to the Vita is that they don't seem to be getting after enough third-party developers to really develop AAA games for the system. Other than Soul Sacrifice and Guacamelee, almost every Vita game I have on my radar next year is a first-party title.

And how is the 3DS not a disappointment when the only difference between it and its previous iteration is the gimmicky as fuck 3D element?

[quote name='PimpLimp']I don't understand how a handheld that's been out less than a year and is just now going through it's first holiday season can be considered a disappointment.

My only real gripes with Sony when it comes to the Vita is that they don't seem to be getting after enough third-party developers to really develop AAA games for the system. Other than Soul Sacrifice and Guacamelee, almost every Vita game I have on my radar next year is a first-party title.

And how is the 3DS not a disappointment when the only difference between it and its previous iteration is the gimmicky as fuck 3D element?[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I tend to stay out of these topics. 3DS was a "failure" for it's first year, and now it's somehow not despite having damned near as many ports and remakes as the PSV. PSP was a "failure" even longer. Give the shit time.

[quote name='whoknows']Why can't you just play PSP games on your PSP?[/QUOTE]

I can. Giving me no incentive at all to upgrade to a Vita. I don't wanna have to carry around both a PSP and a Vita if I decide I wanna play a PSP game.

On the other hand, Nintendo allows me to use my 3DS to play DS games, so I don't have to carry both around, so I bought one.

As far as I'm concerned, the Vita is a slap in the face to anybody who supported the original PSP.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I can. Giving me no incentive at all to upgrade to a Vita. I don't wanna have to carry around both a PSP and a Vita if I decide I wanna play a PSP game.

On the other hand, Nintendo allows me to use my 3DS to play DS games, so I don't have to carry both around, so I bought one.

As far as I'm concerned, the Vita is a slap in the face to anybody who supported the original PSP.[/QUOTE]Your entire argument is irrational. If the only incentive you could find in buying a Vita was that you could play your PSP games on it, why even buy a Vita?

The Vita and PSP are two different handhelds and Sony treats them as such. While the PSP is pretty much dead here in the states, it's still widely popular in Japan and they make a lot of money off of it.

Sony made the Vita so that it was without a doubt superior to it's predecessor, the PSP. Nintendo on the other hand, didn't create the 3DS with the same thing in mind. They wanted to capitalize on the 3D fad. With little to actually differentiate between 3DS and DS games other than the 3D gimmick, of course they were going to add DS support to their new handheld.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Your entire argument is irrational. If the only incentive you could find in buying a Vita was that you could play your PSP games on it, why even buy a Vita?[/QUOTE]

It's not the only incentive I could find in buying a Vita, but I cannot justify buying one until the problem is remedied.

I don't have to carry around my DS AND 3DS to play my games for both systems. For the PSP and Vita, I would have to, and I don't feel that's acceptable.

Sony might think that it is, and that's fine, but they won't be getting my money because of it.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I don't understand how a handheld that's been out less than a year and is just now going through it's first holiday season can be considered a disappointment.

And how is the 3DS not a disappointment when the only difference between it and its previous iteration is the gimmicky as fuck 3D element?[/QUOTE]

This - I've been most confused by how soooo many people seem to be rooting for the Vita to fail. It crosses fanboy boundries. It's bizarre. I'm not even sure Sony's handling has been disappointing - I'm just not sure what people were expecting. The market for something like the Vita isn't well defined - a high end console-esque portable in a time when the world is saturated with handheld devices that are good enough for most people and where the DS has dominated the market otherwise.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Vita figures in to the future plans of the PS4 and probably not trivially. All the interesting features we've seen so far (remote play w/ remote power on over wifi, cross controller, all digital, single account tie in, the new store) feels like they're testing out features for the next round of consoles to see how they'll work and to make sure they can keep feature parity with SmartGlass/Wii-U. It's the Wiimote/Kinect/Move thing all over again.

Sony didn't learn their lesson from the $600 PS3 launch. The 3G Vita was a mistake, and the price of the Wifi version was more than people are willing to spend on a handheld -- Nintendo realized this and dropped the price of the 3DS within months of launch. I picked a Vita up used, then resold and grabbed the Amazon BF deal because I was enjoying it. The cost of entry is just too damn high. And the memory cards -- they're already killing us on the download prices ($40 for LBP vs $20 for a cart this week) that rarely go on sale or see permanent price drops, they could stand to slash the memory costs in half and probably still turn a profit on them. The addition of Plus adds even more incentive to have a big memory card that it honestly feels like a no-brainer to me.

I'm enjoying my Vita, but there is no way I'd have bought the thing at $250 with no PS Plus and no memory card packed in. We've just started to see the first holiday bundles that come with a game and a memory card (and in some cases Plus), hopefully these will help turn things around and keep the games coming.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Your entire argument is irrational. If the only incentive you could find in buying a Vita was that you could play your PSP games on it, why even buy a Vita?

The Vita and PSP are two different handhelds and Sony treats them as such. While the PSP is pretty much dead here in the states, it's still widely popular in Japan and they make a lot of money off of it.

Sony made the Vita so that it was without a doubt superior to it's predecessor, the PSP. Nintendo on the other hand, didn't create the 3DS with the same thing in mind. They wanted to capitalize on the 3D fad. With little to actually differentiate between 3DS and DS games other than the 3D gimmick, of course they were going to add DS support to their new handheld.[/QUOTE]

I'm not on board with the 'slap in the face' part, but it's actually a valid point. Backwards compatibility has become important, mainly so that a system will have a decent library even while it goes through it's first few months (years?) of growing pains in terms of churning out software. My Vita has gone for long periods of time without use. Why? I've played all of the current Vita software I'm interested in, so it sits there. Had I been able to pop UMDs in, I likely would have used it a lot more during the same timeframe.

Oh, and are we seriously still trotting out the old 'THE ONLY THING THE 3DS HAS OVER THE DS IS 3D!' thing? By all measures, it's a superior system to the DS, so I genuinely don't understand the difference you're pointing out here. Both companies made a technologically superior console to their predecessors. That's not really debatable.

[quote name='007']I'm not on board with the 'slap in the face' part, but it's actually a valid point. Backwards compatibility has become important, mainly so that a system will have a decent library even while it goes through it's first few months (years?) of growing pains in terms of churning out software. My Vita has gone for long periods of time without use. Why? I've played all of the current Vita software I'm interested in, so it sits there. Had I been able to pop UMDs in, I likely would have used it a lot more during the same timeframe.

Oh, and are we seriously still trotting out the old 'THE ONLY THING THE 3DS HAS OVER THE DS IS 3D!' thing? By all measures, it's a superior system to the DS, so I genuinely don't understand the difference you're pointing out here. Both companies made a technologically superior console to their predecessors. That's not really debatable.[/QUOTE]I'm not saying backwards compatibility isn't a valid point, but there are so many more valid reasons as to why Sony wouldn't include a UMD drive on their new portable. You have costs, the fact that PSP games can be digitally emulated, and then there's what I mentioned earlier, Sony wants the PSP and Vita to be recognized as two separate entities. I don't think I've gone longer than a week without playing my Vita since I got it. Just because there isn't software that interests you, doesn't mean good software doesn't exist.

You can call it as old as you like, it also happens to be a very relevant point. The 3DS is only marginally superior to it's predecessor and it's ONLY discernible difference is the 3D feature. Am I wrong in this? Even physically they look identical with the only the circle pad on the 3DS to distinguish them. Comparing the PSP to the Vita on the other hand is like comparing night and day. The point I was making was not in that both handhelds weren't superior to the last, it was that Nintendo didn't take as big a leap as Sony did in one generation to the next.

I think expecting Sony to continue to support a dead format like UMD is kinda silly. It probably would have been nice to have Sony figure out some way to transfer your UMDs to digital copies, but once Sony decided that UMD was the wrong way to go for the future, that was pretty much the end of it.

And no, the 3DS wasn't a game-changer, but it didn't need to be. The DS brand is well established and people who buy into it know what they are getting. Sony is still trying to find the audience for their portable game systems, and I'm not sure that "having a PS3 in your pocket" is what people are looking for. Certainly, they don't have the killer app as of yet.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It's not the only incentive I could find in buying a Vita, but I cannot justify buying one until the problem is remedied.

I don't have to carry around my DS AND 3DS to play my games for both systems. For the PSP and Vita, I would have to, and I don't feel that's acceptable.

Sony might think that it is, and that's fine, but they won't be getting my money because of it.[/QUOTE]

How many games do you need with you at once? If you need to play PSP games that badly take your PSP when you go out.

It would have been an terrible awful move by Sony to include a UMD drive on the Vita.

[quote name='PimpLimp']You can call it as old as you like, it also happens to be a very relevant point. The 3DS is only marginally superior to it's predecessor and it's ONLY discernible difference is the 3D feature. Am I wrong in this?[/QUOTE]
Yes.
[quote name='TheLongshot']And no, the 3DS wasn't a game-changer, but it didn't need to be. The DS brand is well established and people who buy into it know what they are getting. Sony is still trying to find the audience for their portable game systems, and I'm not sure that "having a PS3 in your pocket" is what people are looking for. Certainly, they don't have the killer app as of yet.[/QUOTE]
The closest thing they have to killer apps are a Cross Buy game (Sound Shapes) and a port of a PS2 game (Persona 4 Golden). To be fair, they're very good, but they don't provide a unique experience that you can't get elsewhere.

[quote name='Genocidal']Yes.[/QUOTE]Provide some evidence to the contrary other than a one word answer and then I might be inclined to give your point some thought.

To me the 3DS is pretty much just a more powerful DS with some minor added things (like a friends list).

The 3D adds absolutely nothing and usually turns out to be more annoying and distracting than anything else if I have it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Genocidal']Provide some evidence to support your argument and then I might be inclined to give it more than a one word answer.[/QUOTE]Are you kidding me? You want me to get into hardware specs now? Nintendo's whole selling point on the the 3DS is the 3D aspect. This is a fact. The hardware difference in the 3DS vs. DS makes little difference because most of the upgrades made to the 3DS were to support the 3D feature in the first place.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It's not the only incentive I could find in buying a Vita, but I cannot justify buying one until the problem is remedied.

Sony might think that it is, and that's fine, but they won't be getting my money because of it.[/QUOTE]

I get this, and believe me, I'd like to be able to play UMD's on my Vita.

But to be fair here, how often are you really going to go out somewhere long enough to where you would need(or even make sense, for that matter) to be able to play multiple games on multiple systems? I'm guessing probably only a few times a year. Most people will only play these for about an hour or two a day(when not at home), so the idea that you'd want to play both PSP games and Vita games isn't something that you're likely going to be able to do.

In to a PSP game? Bring your PSP with you. In to a Vita game? Bring that with you instead.

I'll also say this: I haven't used my PSP once since I got my Vita. Know how many times I've played a DS game on my 3DS? Only 3-4 times, and zero times this year. It's all about playing the new games with these systems, the people whining about BC probably wouldn't even utilize it as much as they think. Besides, it's only a recent fad that I think wouldn't be so terrible if it went away... Nobody cared at all when we couldn't play SNES games on our N64's, we just wanted to enjoy the new games! I know, imagine that!

*EDIT*

Additionally, both libraries are equal with Vita & 3DS, so move along. I don't get it, why can't these coexist?

The Vita is NOT a disappointment, there's nothing wrong with it! It works just fine, looks great, and has plenty of really good games. Bad marketing and high pricing have equaled bad sales, not "OMG teh system suxorz". Let's also not forget that Vita is at the original pricepoint of the 3DS. Remember how everyone was all, "wow,that'saffordableI'mtotallygettingitlookoutNintendo!"? Yeah.

[quote name='Mixer236']I get this, and believe me, I'd like to be able to play UMD's on my Vita.

But to be fair here, how often are you really going to go out somewhere long enough to where you would need(or even make sense, for that matter) to be able to play multiple games on multiple systems? I'm guessing probably only a few times a year. Most people will only play these for about an hour or two a day(when not at home), so the idea that you'd want to play both PSP games and Vita games isn't something that you're likely going to be able to do.

In to a PSP game? Bring your PSP with you. In to a Vita game? Bring that with you instead.

I'll also say this: I haven't used my PSP once since I got my Vita. Know how many times I've played a DS game on my 3DS? Only 3-4 times, and zero times this year. It's all about playing the new games with these systems, the people whining about BC probably wouldn't even utilize it as much as they think. Besides, it's only a recent fad that I think wouldn't be so terrible if it went away... Nobody cared at all when we couldn't play SNES games on our N64's, we just wanted to enjoy the new games! I know, imagine that!

*EDIT*

Additionally, both libraries are equal with Vita & 3DS, so move along. I don't get it, why can't these coexist?

The Vita is NOT a disappointment, there's nothing wrong with it! It works just fine, looks great, and has plenty of really good games. Bad marketing and high pricing have equaled bad sales, not "OMG teh system suxorz". Let's also not forget that Vita is at the original pricepoint of the 3DS. Remember how everyone was all, "wow,that'saffordableI'mtotallygettingitlookoutNintendo!"? Yeah.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and even if he was going somewhere where he would need both his PSP and Vita (maybe a week long trip?), he would have ample room to pack both systems (ie: in his luggage).

[quote name='PimpLimp']Are you kidding me? You want me to get into hardware specs now? Nintendo's whole selling point on the the 3DS is the 3D aspect. This is a fact. The hardware difference in the 3DS vs. DS makes little difference because most of the upgrades made to the 3DS were to support the 3D feature in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I'm asking this in the least dick-ish way possible, but have you actually played a 3DS? 3D aspect aside, hold Resident Evil Revelations up against any DS game and the 'improvements' are pretty clear. It's a much more powerful system, regardless of the 3D. I'm not debating that the 3D isn't a selling point, but let's not pretend it's the only thing that changed between generations.

I love my vita and I play it almost every single day(mainly just black ops multiplayer). The psn library is great with a ton of games and apps. I agree that the prices for the memory cards are twice as much as they should be, but the vita blows the 3DS out of the water.

[quote name='007']I'm asking this in the least dick-ish way possible, but have you actually played a 3DS? 3D aspect aside, hold Resident Evil Revelations up against any DS game and the 'improvements' are pretty clear. It's a much more powerful system, regardless of the 3D. I'm not debating that the 3D isn't a selling point, but let's not pretend it's the only thing that changed between generations.[/QUOTE]Nah, it's a fair question and doesn't seem dick-ish at all. I've spent VERY little time with the 3DS. I guess in fairness, I would need to spend more time with it to give a complete opinion on it. But from an average consumers standpoint, the 3D aspect is the only difference. My real problem stems from just my disappointment in Nintendo. They usually make pretty big leaps with the major iterations of their handhelds and this one just felt extremely lazy to me.

[quote name='strawyleader997']I love my vita and I play it almost every single day(mainly just black ops multiplayer). The psn library is great with a ton of games and apps. I agree that the prices for the memory cards are twice as much as they should be, but the vita blows the 3DS out of the water.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't know how anyone can even mention the 3DS as a contemporary of the Vita, when in fact the 3DS is such a weakly upgraded device, over the original DS, and is so far below the Vita in specs.

Clearly Nintendo bet the bank that 3D would take off as a new trend, and it didn't. 3D movies are not as popular as the same movie in non-3D theaters, 3D televisions aren't moving well, and 3D movies on blu-ray aren't either. 3D is a fad, a gimmick . . . and by engineering the entire 3DS around it, they really blew it bad. I've played with the 3DS on multiple occasions (both versions), and just find the 3D effect to be annoying, and the games to be lacklustre at best.

I do have two Vitas and multiple PSPs, and have really enjoyed playing with them. I've found the Vita library to be excellent, even if there haven't been a flood of games. And I have many older PSP classics on my 16gb memory stick, which look and play great on the Vita's 5" OLED screen. I think the Vita is an excellent system that just needs time to grow, that's all.

[quote name='Mixer236']I get this, and believe me, I'd like to be able to play UMD's on my Vita.

I'll also say this: I haven't used my PSP once since I got my Vita. Know how many times I've played a DS game on my 3DS? Only 3-4 times, and zero times this year. It's all about playing the new games with these systems, the people whining about BC probably wouldn't even utilize it as much as they think. Besides, it's only a recent fad that I think wouldn't be so terrible if it went away... Nobody cared at all when we couldn't play SNES games on our N64's, we just wanted to enjoy the new games! I know, imagine that![/QUOTE]

The SNES and N64 aren't portable systems. Space and convenience aren't really factors with them, so I don't understand the comparison.

And I'm currently playing through Chrono Trigger DS and Pokemon White 2 on my 3DS. And I'm gonna play 999 after that. If the Vita had backwards compatibility, I'd be playing Kingdom Hearts and The Third Birthday. I'm not gonna complain about something lacking a feature I don't use.

The Vita library literally has three games I give a shit about, so I wouldn't want to lug one around without backwards compatibility. Perhaps I'll get one in a few years, when a revision comes out and there's more than a couple of games I want for it. (In fact, this reminds me of what happened with the PS3. I didn't get one until they revised the hardware and it had more good games than Metal Gear Solid 4.)

I'll have to agree that Vita is a very strong disappointment. Which is a shame too considering how much promise it actually had,hopefully it will rebound. (awaits to be attacked by vita owners) :(

[quote name='JasonTerminator']The SNES and N64 aren't portable systems. Space and convenience aren't really factors with them, so I don't understand the comparison.

And I'm currently playing through Chrono Trigger DS and Pokemon White 2 on my 3DS. And I'm gonna play 999 after that. If the Vita had backwards compatibility, I'd be playing Kingdom Hearts and The Third Birthday. I'm not gonna complain about something lacking a feature I don't use.

The Vita library literally has three games I give a shit about, so I wouldn't want to lug one around without backwards compatibility. Perhaps I'll get one in a few years, when a revision comes out and there's more than a couple of games I want for it. (In fact, this reminds me of what happened with the PS3. I didn't get one until they revised the hardware and it had more good games than Metal Gear Solid 4.)[/QUOTE]

Wait, you never carried around your 64 in your backpack like all of us cool kids?

But seriously, I think you missed the point of what I'm saying in that no one really cared much about BC at all until this generation. This gen is the first one in which all consoles(I know, I know: "But Game Boys & DS' always featured it!", while that may be true, I don't think anyone really cared all that much) had it at one point, so it's become something that a lot of people think they "need to have" just because we think it should be the norm. I mean, we got by for years without it just fine.

If you picked up a Vita, grabbed the "3 games you give a shit about", gave a couple of other ones a chance, and within a month you'd forget all about your PSP. It's silly to say you won't buy it because of BC, it'll never come to the Vita. If they had put that in there, they would have basically had to put PSP guts inside the Vita, making it even larger and likely driving up the cost $50-100.

I'm also not surprised to find out that you were one of the "PS3 has no games" people. :roll:

[quote name='JasonTerminator']The SNES and N64 aren't portable systems. Space and convenience aren't really factors with them, so I don't understand the comparison.

The Vita library literally has three games I give a shit about, so I wouldn't want to lug one around without backwards compatibility. Perhaps I'll get one in a few years, when a revision comes out and there's more than a couple of games I want for it. (In fact, this reminds me of what happened with the PS3. I didn't get one until they revised the hardware and it had more good games than Metal Gear Solid 4.)[/QUOTE]

The PS3 120GB Slim was first released when.. Summer of 2008? And you're going to say the only good game at that time was MGS4?

mmmmmmkay.

I sometimes get pissed because my current PC isn't backwards compatible and it doesn't play Howard the Duck in the original 5.25" floppy disc format that my Commodore 64 did.

And I tried jamming NES Carts into my SNES and that didn't go over well either.

What really bothers me is my Blu-ray player won't read VHS cassettes. I know I know... different mediums... but then again so aren't fucking UMD and Vita cartridges.

Did you forget that DS and 3DS cartridges are on the same goddamn media?

[quote name='GBAstar']The PS3 120GB Slim was first released when.. Summer of 2008? And you're going to say the only good game at that time was MGS4?

mmmmmmkay.

I sometimes get pissed because my current PC isn't backwards compatible and it doesn't play Howard the Duck in the original 5.25" floppy disc format that my Commodore 64 did.

And I tried jamming NES Carts into my SNES and that didn't go over well either.

What really bothers me is my Blu-ray player won't read VHS cassettes. I know I know... different mediums... but then again so aren't fucking UMD and Vita cartridges.

Did you forget that DS and 3DS cartridges are on the same goddamn media?[/QUOTE]

I believe that was Summer '09, which only serves to make his comment even more off-base.

Other than that, *high-five*

[quote name='Mixer236']Wait, you never carried around your 64 in your backpack like all of us cool kids?[/QUOTE]

lol... You just brought back some high school memories, hauling it around to go play some Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Snowboard Kids and Smash Bros!

I love my Vita. I wanted one since it was announced but didn't have the money for it until a few weeks ago during black friday. I play it all the time. I am a PS+ member, so to get games like Uncharted included in that cost is unbelievable. It's the best handheld experience I ever had. Plus games I really enjoy like Black Ops Declassified and Mortal Kombat play and look great on the Vita. Cross-buy games like PS All Stars and Marvel Pinball are a great value. I own Marvel Pinball on Xbox 360, PS3, and iOS as well and it plays best on the Vita, IMO. I think the Vita will continue to grow, and when more people experience the quality of these games on the go, more people will show interest, and more developers will show interest. It's just taking some time. Rome wasn't built in a day, folks.

bread's done
Back