Vita on "Disappointment Lists" for 2012

Hopefully all this will change, it seemed like a bigger user base was made this past Black Friday. I think making systems especially portables more cost effective, if a company truly believes in there product they should take a hit to at least gain some market share. I know this isn't good business but everybody isn't going to throw away money at something, especially when it doesn't have a good track record.

I think this is why the GBA had such a wide user base, it was affordable and very easy to lug around. I know as a parent I'm very cautious when I let my 5 year old mess around with the Vita, I would kick myself for days if she broke it!

[quote name='skiizim']lol... You just brought back some high school memories, hauling it around to go play some Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Snowboard Kids and Smash Bros![/QUOTE]

There was some truth to what I said... My friends and I did this all the time growing up with our various systems(between the four of us, we had all of the main consoles). I even had one of those special carrying cases for my Gamecube later on... I really did take that with me everywhere. :lol:

[quote name='matrix9280']And the games don't come with manuals either.[/QUOTE]

Physically no.

They install to the vita with the game, however. You can access it at any point by tapping the red book of the game page.

[quote name='whoknows']To me the 3DS is pretty much just a more power DS with some minor added things (like a friends list).

The 3D adds absolutely nothing and usually turns out to be more annoying and distracting than anything else if I have it on.[/QUOTE]

Every console is a more power iteration of it's predecessor, so I don't see the problem.

[quote name='GameNChick']I'll have to agree that Vita is a very strong disappointment. Which is a shame too considering how much promise it actually had,hopefully it will rebound. (awaits to be attacked by vita owners) :([/QUOTE]

Well I am saying this from a stand point of skipping the psp generation for the most part, but I don't understand this view point. As many others have said, the Vita has a huuuuuge library of games available because of its psp store. In all honesty this was a great idea for Sony to do that, as it does in fact add backwards compatibility without the unnecessary parts and added cost.

I will say tho, at first my Vita did collect dust for a little bit after launch waiting for titles to come out. I almost had the entire launch library before anything really pulled me in. Now I have some great games to play!

Ragnarok: odyssey, p4g (if I decide to open it. Have the collectors), gravity rush, uncharted: golden abyss, MK9 (the added challenge tower is fun), touch my katamari, VLR: zero escape!

We still have tons of time for the vita to pick up steam.

Besides, if we go by this logic of first year of release, the wii u is also a disappointment. Hah, $350 for a gimmicky tablet and technology from 7 years ago with laughable memory space? All ports from other consoles for full msrp, and with only 4 exclusives?

Just sayin.

[quote name='Mixer236']But seriously, I think you missed the point of what I'm saying in that no one really cared much about BC at all until this generation. This gen is the first one in which all consoles(I know, I know: "But Game Boys & DS' always featured it!", while that may be true, I don't think anyone really cared all that much) had it at one point, so it's become something that a lot of people think they "need to have" just because we think it should be the norm. I mean, we got by for years without it just fine.

I'm also not surprised to find out that you were one of the "PS3 has no games" people. :roll:[/QUOTE]

You seem to be missing the point that backward's compatibility was ALWAYS a thing with portable consoles until the PSP. The PSP is the exception to the rule here. Am I complaining about how my PS3 doesn't play PS2 games? Or how my 360 doesn't play every Xbox game I have? This is a portable system. The rules are different.

I should have clarified that the PS3 didn't have any games that I was interested in until I got my Slim, not that there weren't any good games on the PS3 until then.

[quote name='GBAstar']Did you forget that DS and 3DS cartridges are on the same goddamn media[/QUOTE]

The DS and GBA were on different media, yet the DS was backwards compatible.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']You seem to be missing the point that backward's compatibility was ALWAYS a thing with portable consoles until the PSP. The PSP is the exception to the rule here. Am I complaining about how my PS3 doesn't play PS2 games? Or how my 360 doesn't play every Xbox game I have? This is a portable system. The rules are different.

I should have clarified that the PS3 didn't have any games that I was interested in until I got my Slim, not that there weren't any good games on the PS3 until then.

The DS and GBA were on different media, yet the DS was backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]

Um, I said as much in my post? I get it, BC is always a nice added bonus. As mentioned above, Vita does have quasi-backwards compatibility. You can even play a nice amount of PS1 games on there! I just still don't think it's such a big deal if you already have the previous system... But agree to disagree, I suppose.

As for the DS - 3DS discussion going on here, 3DS is definitely better than any iteration of the DS. I think where most people are coming from is the difference from DS - 3DS when compared to PSP - Vita. When you compare a Vita to a PSP it's literally like night and day, there's no comparison whatsoever. But when you compare a DS to a 3DS, the margin between the upgrade is much smaller.

The only disappointment is sony's inability to properly market it. The system itself oozes quality craftsmanship as soon as you play it for awhile..and there are quality games, especially considering its been out less than a year.

[quote name='antlp89']The reason people say the Vita "has no games" is because most of the good titles are rehashes of PS3 titles. Rehashes that are much more enjoyable on the PS3 (Dualshock controller, HDTV, surround sound, etc).
[/QUOTE]

That's totally it for me.

The only reason I ever got into portable gaming at all (GBA and DS primarily) was because they offered something different than the consoles--notably it was really the only place to get 2D games--at least before XBLA and PSN really took off.

Now that portables are mostly 3D games, and there are a decent amount of 2D downloadable games on consoles, I have no need for portables.

I've never been a hardcore enough gamer to have any desire to game on the go--it's just something I do at home. And I'd much rather game on my big HDTV, with a regular controller, surround sound etc. than on a tiny portable if the types of games I'm playing are more or less the same.

When killing time out and about I'd generally rather just read--be it on my Kindle, or newspapers/Kindle app on my iPad, iPhone etc. The rare instances I get an itch to game when out and about or traveling, stuff like Angry Birds or Bejewled is enough to scratch my itch.

Thank fucking god Sony didn't dumb shit fuck up the VITA by including PSP backwards compatibility. UMD discs and disc drives suck plain and simple. I still have an old 2000 and when I hear the grinding noise it makes me cringe. Not buying a VITA because of PSP compatibility is anyone's choice but seems like a silly notion, sounds like you are too attached to the system and not the games you are playing. Just finish what you have and move on. Granted Sony could have included some sort of conversion program but I think they made the right move.

The reason you love the 3DS BC is my complaint about the system. Granted BC is a nice option but I much would have preferred a more powerful handheld without the 3D and BC in a form factor similar to DS Lite with better screens and a slimmer profile. The 3DS looks and feels like a Tonka toy next to a VITA (Ferrari) when used side by side.

It's obvious that Nintendo is going for that little kid market but I'm glad their is an alternative. The 3DS has some decent stuff but after RE: Revelations and 3D Land the library doesn't feel too robust to me. Sony created a big screened, slim profile, quick monster handheld and I'm a proud owner.

Memory pricing sucks but PS+ made up for that error.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to let those anti-(console/handheld) comments get on your nerves. Usually, such gamers can't be reasoned with so what's the point?

I got myself a white Vita (Amazon BF deal) b/c I wanted to (re)play some RPGs such as Xenogears (my all-time PS1 fave), earlier installments of Disgaea & Persona (never had a PSP) and, of course, P4G. RPGs are very time-consuming so that makes the Vita a good investment in my book.

As for 3DS, I do like its optional 3D effect. It's pretty cool having two visual styles (with or without 3D) without the need for special glasses. It's just a feature (of many) that makes 3DS more fun than DS.

Anyways, happy gaming!

[quote name='Blabadon']holy shit PimpLimp and whoknows are dumbasses[/QUOTE]

Do tell me what amazing features/experiences the 3DS offers over the DS then.

Or are you getting upset over something else?

As PimpLimp already pointed out, it is very premature to declare the Vita a disappointment at this stage. The device was launched this year, and doesn't even have twelve months under its belt. And much like with the original PSP, a lot of developers have missed the point with the Vita, opting to produce only miniaturized versions of console titles instead of game crafted specifically for the system.

Declaring the Vita a disappointment over those issues, and so early, is pushing it. Overt comparisons to the 3DS are also more than a little unfair. The 3DS is a different handheld with a clearly different focus. It also launched a year earlier, and already has a second hardware iteration.

I bought the $180 bundle. As i would have never, ever bought one for launch/retail price. I didn't expect to enjoy it much. Thought i would sell it off, but man, i'm actually really enjoying the Vita. I'm playing through about 6 games at once on the thing. I haven't done that on a handheld in years.

[quote name='whoknows']Do tell me what amazing features/experiences the 3DS offers over the DS then.

Or are you getting upset over something else?[/QUOTE]

Unless you're two, it's very easy to see.

Stronger hardware, bigger software chips, Miis, eShop, etc.

Pretty much the same things that any other console/system got over its predecessor. It's very easy to see you're too stupid and ignorant to get out of the sea of fanboys on the internet by looking at this thread, so talking to you will be pointless.

Also, for the record, I don't enjoy my 3DS that much. The two games I bought for it, SM3DL and OoT 3D, are both disappointing and I only use the system for internet browsing since I lost my tablet charger. I definitely wished I picked up the Vita instead, but I have a lot of games already to play on older systems.

[quote name='Richard Kain']As PimpLimp already pointed out, it is very premature to declare the Vita a disappointment at this stage. The device was launched this year, and doesn't even have twelve months under its belt. And much like with the original PSP, a lot of developers have missed the point with the Vita, opting to produce only miniaturized versions of console titles instead of game crafted specifically for the system.

Declaring the Vita a disappointment over those issues, and so early, is pushing it. Overt comparisons to the 3DS are also more than a little unfair. The 3DS is a different handheld with a clearly different focus. It also launched a year earlier, and already has a second hardware iteration.[/QUOTE]

You really can't blame developers on this, they are taking the risk. What Sony needs to do is some how think of a way to attract developers to do this or even let Sony evoke this.

I would love to see a game with Ratchet & Clank and then somehow incorporate another experience with Qwark in the background helping them out without him being overly involved in each others story. This doesn't have to be a separate game but something in the way they are doing with LBP Karting and PSH: All-Stars and adding it to the game.

Something along these lines would definitely attract more people towards the Vita.

[quote name='Blabadon']Unless you're two, it's very easy to see.

Stronger hardware, bigger software chips, Miis, eShop, etc.

Pretty much the same things that any other console/system got over its predecessor. It's very easy to see you're too stupid and ignorant to get out of the sea of fanboys on the internet by looking at this thread, so talking to you will be pointless.

Also, for the record, I don't enjoy my 3DS that much. The two games I bought for it, SM3DL and OoT 3D, are both disappointing and I only use the system for internet browsing since I lost my tablet charger. I definitely wished I picked up the Vita instead, but I have a lot of games already to play on older systems.[/QUOTE]

eshop wasn't introduced with the 3DS, I already said it's more powerful than the last one, and if Mii's add something for you then great, I don't see the point of them or the friends list with the way it currently is. If it was structured the way it is on Vita then it would be cool, but it's not. The 3DS simply doesn't feel like a huge improvement over the 3DS the way the Vita does over the PSP. The Vita does some things better than even the PS3.

I don't see why you're so upset.

I wish Nintendo would have thought of the touch screen in the back, that actually adds a really cool element to the Vita. The 3DS is great in it's own aspect in being made by Nintendo but as far as jumping the gap to the next generation it didn't add too much other than the 3D. A higher resolution screen like the one Vita has would have been a nice touch to say the least.

I'm mainly just impressed with how much smoother it is to use the Vita than it is the PS3.

You can easily and quickly hop into the store if you want while playing a game, open the web browser, start party chat (something the PS3 doesn't even have), and synching trophies/comparing with friends is so much quicker and smoother than it is on PS3.

I also love being able to just hit the PS button and stop a game.

Hope it's a taste of what it will be like to use the PS4.

I personally find the back touchscreen to be the worst feature of the Vita because it makes it a pain to hold the system comfortably (especially in bed) while playing games that use it. Since that's the majority of my Vita time, I usually just skip those games.

[quote name='whoknows']eshop wasn't introduced with the 3DS, I already said it's more powerful than the last one, and if Mii's add something for you then great, I don't see the point of them or the friends list with the way it currently is. If it was structured the way it is on Vita then it would be cool, but it's not. The 3DS simply doesn't feel like a huge improvement over the 3DS the way the Vita does over the PSP. The Vita does some things better than even the PS3.

I don't see why you're so upset.[/QUOTE]
Seeing through the thread again, it seems like my posts shouldn't have been directed at you actually and pretty much only at PimpLimp. I thought you were also in the camp that the only change of the 3DS is the 3D.

So my apologies.

[quote name='Blabadon']Seeing through the thread again, it seems like my posts shouldn't have been directed at you actually and pretty much only at PimpLimp. I thought you were also in the camp that the only change of the 3DS is the 3D.

So my apologies.[/QUOTE]Go back and read again then, cause no where did I state that 3D was the ONLY thing added to the 3DS. What I did say however, is that the 3D aspect is the only marketable difference between the DS and 3DS. This is a FACT. Most of the hardware upgrades were to support this 3D feature. Another FACT. I also made it a point to note that my real displeasure with the 3DS was how little Nintendo actually did to improve and distinguish it from it's predecessor.

Please learn basic reading comprehension before calling anybody a dumb ass.

The software on the 3DS is absolutely garbage. I feel bad for the above poster that said he uses his to browse the internet.

I'd rather use a first generation smart phone with just the mobile internet.

Persona 4 Golden completely redeemed the Vita for 2012 for a lot of people I feel. If it wasn't an exclusive I don't know if I would have gottena Vita, even with the great Amazon BF bundle.

[quote name='GBAstar']The software on the 3DS is absolutely garbage. I feel bad for the above poster that said he uses his to browse the internet.

I'd rather use a first generation smart phone with just the mobile internet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the software is garbage on the 3DS! It drives me crazy. It's so slow and tedious. I almost wish it had no menus and just booted right into the games. It's obvious that Nintendo should have included at least 4GB in the console because it's reading everything off the SD Card.

I personally believe that the biggest mistake that Sony made with the Vita is that they added too many features that are rarely used. Why have front facing and a back camera? I haven't used either camera once and I wanted to take pictures or take videos I would do it with my tablet or phone. Was the touch screen and the touch pad on the back that necessary? They should of stayed away from all of that so they could of had a lower retail price so more people would buy it. The selling point of the Vita should be the graphics and the dual analog sticks.

[quote name='lastemp3ror']I personally believe that the biggest mistake that Sony made with the Vita is that they added too many features that are rarely used. Why have front facing and a back camera? I haven't used either camera once and I wanted to take pictures or take videos I would do it with my tablet or phone. Was the touch screen and the touch pad on the back that necessary? They should of stayed away from all of that so they could of had a lower retail price so more people would buy it. The selling point of the Vita should be the graphics and the dual analog sticks.[/QUOTE]

Skype uses the front facing camera and at least one game (MGS) uses the back facing camera to make custom camo. I've used the back touch pad in a handful of of games.

You're right though those features are a little silly... almost as silly as using the "gyro" feature on the 3DS when even the slightest movement will make the 3D go out of focus.

[quote name='lastemp3ror']I personally believe that the biggest mistake that Sony made with the Vita is that they added too many features that are rarely used. Why have front facing and a back camera? I haven't used either camera once and I wanted to take pictures or take videos I would do it with my tablet or phone. Was the touch screen and the touch pad on the back that necessary? They should of stayed away from all of that so they could of had a lower retail price so more people would buy it. The selling point of the Vita should be the graphics and the dual analog sticks.[/QUOTE]

While your concerns have merit, the reality is that Sony is chasing the iphone/ipad model, the vita is really a combination of both a handheld gaming device and an iphone, in effect marrying both devices into one. And I think Sony has done a damn good job of it. Unlike Nintendo, Sony does not have the strong IP to carry a handheld on just gaming alone, but must compete against the biggest selling handheld, the iphone/ipad, but to do that, the Vita must also best the iphone/ipad with better controls (dual analog, shoulder buttons, etc) and better games. The Vita has that, but to survive and thrive, it will need more and better games that utilize all the offerings of the ipad/iphone model. That model is really changing the mobile gaming market, and Sony, as well as Nintendo, must adapt and be better...

[quote name='gkargreen']While your concerns have merit, the reality is that Sony is chasing the iphone/ipad model, the vita is really a combination of both a handheld gaming device and an iphone, in effect marrying both devices into one. And I think Sony has done a damn good job of it. Unlike Nintendo, Sony does not have the strong IP to carry a handheld on just gaming alone, but must compete against the biggest selling handheld, the iphone/ipad, but to do that, the Vita must also best the iphone/ipad with better controls (dual analog, shoulder buttons, etc) and better games. The Vita has that, but to survive and thrive, it will need more and better games that utilize all the offerings of the ipad/iphone model. That model is really changing the mobile gaming market, and Sony, as well as Nintendo, must adapt and be better...[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Sony isn't competing with smart phones. How can the vita compete with smart phones when it is missing the main function of a smart phone which is making phone calls?

The future of portable gaming devices is providing something that can't be had on smart phones. That something is hard core games and/or games that need complex controls that have great graphics. Hard core gamers aren't concerned with the gimmicky stuff (reason why the wii never caught on with hard core gamers).

What is a "hardcore gamer"? I swear that term gets thrown around loosely, I would like to think a hardcore gamer is somebody that enjoys and tries to perfect any game they are playing regardless of the system it's on. I guarantee you if the Wii was just as powerful and was HD a big portion of games that get ported around anyway would have been on the wii.

I think people need to start using the term "fanboy gamer" in there own sense more often than none.

[quote name='lastemp3ror']I disagree. Sony isn't competing with smart phones. How can the vita compete with smart phones when it is missing the main function of a smart phone which is making phone calls?

The future of portable gaming devices is providing something that can't be had on smart phones. That something is hard core games and/or games that need complex controls that have great graphics. Hard core gamers aren't concerned with the gimmicky stuff (reason why the wii never caught on with hard core gamers).[/QUOTE]

how much time is used to make calls compared to other actions on a smart phone? A lot less I believe. And while that may be taken up by tweets, ims, facebook, etc., it is obvious to anyone that plays games that ios games are a HUGE part of smartphone environment. Can a handheld compete against the almost giveaway prices of ios games? Apparently numerous gaming companies don't think so. And while your "hardcore" gamer may poo-poo ios games, anyone in the developer market does so at their financial risk...

[quote name='gkargreen']how much time is used to make calls compared to other actions on a smart phone? A lot less I believe. And while that may be taken up by tweets, ims, facebook, etc., it is obvious to anyone that plays games that ios games are a HUGE part of smartphone environment. Can a handheld compete against the almost giveaway prices of ios games? Apparently numerous gaming companies don't think so. And while your "hardcore" gamer may poo-poo ios games, anyone in the developer market does so at their financial risk...[/QUOTE]

Nothing personal, but I still don't understand this logic. First off, many people make phone calls. Secondly the people that don't talk that much like to have that capability for emergency purposes. The Vita is not in the same market as any phone. It is like saying that skate boards and cars are in the same market because they both have wheels and they get you places. People don't say to themselves "Hmmm should I buy a Vita or an Iphone?" Also if you think that the Vita did everything right in their modeling, then why are they doing so bad in the sales department? I personally believe it is because they tried doing too many things at once. Like the saying goes, "Jack of all trades, master of none". They need to differentiate themselves and don't throw in fancy technology that many people won't use. Let the IOS developers come up with the simple games, and the Sony developers should focus and throw money at games like Call of Duty and other complex controlled games, instead of letting them come up with these half hearted games.

I am no expert on this stuff, but this is my reasoning as to why the Vita is a "Disappointment".

[quote name='skiizim']What is a "hardcore gamer"? I swear that term gets thrown around loosely, I would like to think a hardcore gamer is somebody that enjoys and tries to perfect any game they are playing regardless of the system it's on. I guarantee you if the Wii was just as powerful and was HD a big portion of games that get ported around anyway would have been on the wii.

I think people need to start using the term "fanboy gamer" in there own sense more often than none.[/QUOTE]

You make a good point, and maybe I shouldn't of used the term hardcore gamer. What I mean is someone who likes complex games. Games that need dual analog sticks and multiple buttons.

Vita is a failure for Sony. In Japan, where PSP was actually a success, it sold about 21k units last week. The 3DS? 411k.

Also that 21k is a high week over there for it. It struggles to break 10k normally.

Vita is dead. Not just in Japan but everywhere.

I like the vita, but it definitely deserves to be on the disappointment list for 2012. I don't think it's dead, and I don't think it's a shoe in to be on the 2013 disappointment list. The real issue is that developers need to focus on is making a great handheld games for the vita and stop trying to produce "console" games for the system. How much would it cost to make a metroid-Vania style game these days, can't be much. Those type of games has always been great on portables.

[quote name='Algertman']Vita is a failure for Sony. In Japan, where PSP was actually a success, it sold about 21k units last week. The 3DS? 411k.

Also that 21k is a high week over there for it. It struggles to break 10k normally.

Vita is dead. Not just in Japan but everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the 3DS isn't doing well either, outside if Japan (where gimmicks are always a big draw). Nintendo had to gut the price of the 3DS to get units moving, to the point where you can easily find the regular 3DS for $130, and the XL for $160. Even though they've moved a fair number of units worldwide, sales outside of Japan gave been weak, and with all the Nintendo-financed fire sales on 3DS systems, you can bet the company is making little to no profit on every system sold. They are hoping to make up for that with profits on games, but even flagship Nintendo games are being discounted to try to move them, something Nintendo just hasn't done for previous systems.

For proof, just watch Nintendo's fiscal 3rd quarter results when they come out later this month; with the poor Wii U launch and massive discounting of 3DS hardware and software, it won't be pretty.

Drop the price. Include a decent memory card and a voucher for a downloadable game. Hell, give a code that upon redemption you can choose from 3 different games. I think people want to buy the Vita and enjoy it, but the cost of entry is too high and Sony doesn't have the brand strength that Nintendo does.

I really love my Vita but I got a killer deal on Craigslist, which is the ONLY reason I have one. I can't imagine anyone paying upwards of $350 at retail after memory and gamds (Shipwreck doesn't count!).

I love the fully online connectivity. Group chat works great online. NFS proves that with the right budget and time Vita games can be amazing. PSN is well integrated and downloads are a great fit. Ugh. Its such a well made system but no handheld should cost this much.

[quote name='johnnypark']Drop the price. Include a decent memory card and a voucher for a downloadable game. Hell, give a code that upon redemption you can choose from 3 different games. I think people want to buy the Vita and enjoy it, but the cost of entry is too high and Sony doesn't have the brand strength that Nintendo does.
[/QUOTE]

Instead of including a game, include 3-6 months of Playstation Plus. Gives them some great games and will probably hook them gaining Sony another plus subscription.

[quote name='Qontrol']Instead of including a game, include 3-6 months of Playstation Plus. Gives them some great games and will probably hook them gaining Sony another plus subscription.[/QUOTE]

A year of PS plus would be best. I'd also like it if they made some of these psn games playable on the vita. After burner climax, would be great to have. I'd also like to see some bundled sets of psp games be made available. 5 games for 10 dollars....(wishful thinking I know). The model I'm thinking of is that you pay a little more for the vita upfront but you should save a little bit on the games (via ps plus and other deals) on the back end once you have the system.

[quote name='Genocidal']Congratulations! You guys just described the Unit 13/Instant Game Collection bundle.[/QUOTE]
^This.

[quote name='Genocidal']Congratulations! You guys just described the Unit 13/Instant Game Collection bundle.[/QUOTE]

Lol damn! It sounded so good in theory. The bundle should have included assassins creed. If assassins creed. And call of duty would have been considered to live up to the promise of "console quality on the go" then I think the vita would have been in a better position going into 2013. Better position meaning...sales momentum.

To be fair, there are too many different bundles out there. I can think of at least Unit 13, Madden, Black Ops, and AC3 as official and current bundles off the top of my head. Plus you still have the 3G model, and whatever unofficial bundles retailers want to sell. Sony needs to cut down on the SKUs (drop the 3G model), offer one bundle, and bring the price down. Something siimlar to Amazon's Black Friday offering of a Vita with AC3, 3 months of Plus, PS All-Stars, and a 4GB card would be a great starter bundle at $250, though I would personally drop one of the full games and up the memory card to 8GB.

Minus the price drop and larger memory card. A 4GB card is kind of a joke for the Instant Game Collection, which inflates the cost. Otherwise I agree and it would be a great value.

Does that bundle include a price cut? If so they can't do much more right now. They just need to get some more good games and ride it out a little.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Honestly, the Vita should come with a free 32 GB card, three games, PS Plus for three years, and a price cut to $100.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention it should have a way to charge my cell phone and Nintendo DS. Also the games should include manuals.

bread's done
Back