Best Buy: $12.99 Halo Wars, Dark Souls, Mass Effect 2, + More

Halo Wars is bar-none the best Halo game in the franchise, and the best-designed console RTS out there. Too bad there won't be a sequel.

Note that the Platinum Hits version includes all the DLC which is like $20 on its own and has its own achievements... so I may be picking it up just for that reason.

I just submitted Halo Wars to Amazon for a price match. I've got prime, so I don't need to worry about shipping and I'd save about a buck in taxes. Every little bit helps.

Thanks ferris182.

[quote name='apterous']Halo Wars is bar-none the best Halo game in the franchise, and the best-designed console RTS out there. Too bad there won't be a sequel.

Note that the Platinum Hits version includes all the DLC which is like $20 on its own and has its own achievements... so I may be picking it up just for that reason.[/QUOTE]
Good call. I totally forgot about all of the included DLC. It's bought.

And I refuse to accept that there won't be a Halo Wars 2.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']It's really hard for me to pick up a vanilla copy once a complete copy is released or about to be released.[/QUOTE]
For which game? Dark Souls?

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']For which game? Dark Souls?[/QUOTE]

RDR. I don't know if Dark Souls Prepare to Die edition is coming to the states so that is excluded.

Halo Wars is really worth it, I got the limited edition when it came out, but everyone should try it. The controls are great, visuals still look very good, interesting story, and the best soundtrack of the Halo series imo

[quote name='icarusmight']Looks like Amazon matched this price! I'll be buying from there instead. Thanks OP for the heads-up.[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing it at $12.99 yet.

EDIT: I'm talking about Halo Wars, BTW. I suppose you might be talking about some other game.

Picked up Halo Wars. I traded the vanilla version awhile back but never really played it so for this price to get everything I will try again.

[quote name='Komentra']Contemplating Halo Wars.[/QUOTE]

Halo Wars is probably the most interesting and best-controlling console RTS ever released. It reviewed well but is still underappreciated.

picked up halo wars, even though i have the vanilla version. want the DLC for it, so this is a good way to get it.

it really is a fun game. hopefully this brings a new wave of online people, because the current people kick my butt pretty quick.

also, worth noting that it has a 2 player co op over live, and it plays very well that way. actually i preferred the co op

How long is Halo Wars? I played it the weekend before it came out (buddy got it from the rental place he worked at) but haven't touched it since. I'd really like to pick it up but don't know if it's worth it if I've only got a mission or 2 left.

I'm in for Dark Souls. I'm curious to see just how frustrating this is.
I recall DS being slightly better on Xbox…
Anyone? (Hopefully I get a recommendation w/o console hate)

I just noticed that Amazon only has 1 copy of Halo Wars. So they're almost certainly not gonna bother price matching. I guess I should just buy it from Best Buy.

Not much difference, so if you prefer one controller or the other, go with that version. The PS3 version sold 30% more copies though (in the US) so down the line it will probably be easier to do invasions/Co-op in the PS3 version.

That PH Halo Wars is tempting at that price, but I still haven't touched the vanilla edition I got from Club Bing a few years back.

Thanks OP, I nabbed Dark Souls on the PS3. Although Amazon PMed it, Best Buy's right on my way home for a In-Store Pick Up. Cheers!

So tempted for Dark Souls...and a best buy is right near my work.

I have FC3 and Hitman to play...but is suppose DS will be the game to fill that gap of games until March where the ones I want start releasing

So here's the deal: I don't mind a challenging game, but from what I've heard you have to put in the time to learn to play Dark Souls. Will I be replaying sections over and over? With my very limited amount of free time, I hate feeling like I'm making zero progress when I'm playing a game.

[quote name='roedaniel19']So here's the deal: I don't mind a challenging game, but from what I've heard you have to put in the time to learn to play Dark Souls. Will I be replaying sections over and over? With my very limited amount of free time, I hate feeling like I'm making zero progress when I'm playing a game.[/QUOTE]

You answered your own question.

I was on the fence about Dark Souls for a long time. I just texted my friend & he said be prepared to die A LOT! He said he is at a boss 3/4 way through & cant beat him & his friends are gonna join him & help.

I am not a MP fan to start & if I die that much, I think I better pass! I am old & my reflexes are no where as good as when I was young. :(

[quote name='roedaniel19']So here's the deal: I don't mind a challenging game, but from what I've heard you have to put in the time to learn to play Dark Souls. Will I be replaying sections over and over? With my very limited amount of free time, I hate feeling like I'm making zero progress when I'm playing a game.[/QUOTE]
I played demon souls and got frustrated at a few parts. Eventually just getting tired of going backwards in progress and feeling like I was literally undoing hard work. Reminded me of Everquest... So, I passed on DS too because I heard it was even worse.

[quote name='JKooL']I was on the fence about Dark Souls for a long time. I just texted my friend & he said be prepared to die A LOT! He said he is at a boss 3/4 way through & cant beat him & his friends are gonna join him & help.

I am not a MP fan to start & if I die that much, I think I better pass! I am old & my reflexes are no where as good as when I was young. :([/QUOTE]

Just because you die X amount of times, doesn't mean you should be granted safe passage (although that happens with the Golden Tanooki Suit in NSMB2).

Anyway, Although you may dislike MP, You may have to utilize it when you are in such situations. I'm surprised your buddy can't find people to help him out yet. Anyway, I don't think age matters. It's more important to play with smarts than reflexes. Plan your journeys accordingly and carefully weigh the risks and rewards.

If you need help, I'll join you--even though I just picked it up!

So many opinions....not sure what to do? Thank You for the offer snuggelz. Ill let you know if I do grab it! ;)

[quote name='Abeja']Finally grabbed Halo Wars. Game seemed to never go on sale[/QUOTE]

QFT. It's been on my want list for a very long time but I didn't want to pay over $15, and I believe the only Halo game I don't own.

Great deal, thanks OP!

Dark Souls is so bought, it's not even funny. I never finished Demon's Souls, but was beyond addicting. It never felt so good to die in a game.

Thanks for the heads up!! Grabbed Dark Souls (PS3) from Amazon for $12.99 utilizing my prime before it runs out.

[quote name='vballboy51']picked up halo wars, even though i have the vanilla version. want the DLC for it, so this is a good way to get it.

it really is a fun game. hopefully this brings a new wave of online people, because the current people kick my butt pretty quick.

also, worth noting that it has a 2 player co op over live, and it plays very well that way. actually i preferred the co op[/QUOTE]

This is what I will also be doing. Even though I have the vanilla version, this is a great way to get the DLC. Will sell the extra copy later down the line.

[quote name='PancakesAreLove']It's really hard for me to pick up a vanilla copy once a complete copy is released or about to be released.[/QUOTE]

I always wanted ask this question: what the hell does vanilla even mean?

============
in for DS and H:W

[quote name='NoelVermillion']I always wanted ask this question: what the hell does vanilla even mean?[/QUOTE]

Regular version, with no bonuses or extra stuff. Like vanilla ice cream with no toppings. :)

[quote name='NoelVermillion']I always wanted ask this question: what the hell does vanilla even mean?

============
in for DS and H:W[/QUOTE]

Vanilla means without DLC or extra content that was released after its initial retail shipment.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']I always wanted ask this question: what the hell does vanilla even mean?

============
in for DS and H:W[/QUOTE]

Vanilla is the term used for the original version of the game. So say for example when Fallout 3 came out it was just that, Fallout 3. This is considered the "vanilla" version. Later versions that come out (such as GOTY or PH/GH etc) are usually better and have more DLC added to them for free. This is the case with Halo Wars apparently (I don't own it).

EDIT: I love how we all answered it within seconds/minutes of each other

Can someone explain what the Halo Wars DLC is? From Wikipedia, it sounds really bare bones with a few new modes and four new maps? How much of it can be played in co-op?

bread's done
Back