2013 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#481 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

It all depends on how much they pay per pennyweight. There is no set price. And if a seller and buyer agree on terms noone is getting ripped off. I got a respironics system at sale once brand new never used. I paid $3 for it. It's what the seller wanted. These systems go for $700-$900. If you wanted to you could make an argument about how I ripped her off but at the end of the day we both agreed on price and made the transaction freely.

No I agree with that. To me the seller marking a price that is too low isn't a moral issue, they decided on the price and I paid it. It's different if say someone asked me to make an offer on something that I know is worth good money and I make them a ridiculously low offer. What I've seen them do is say they pay pennyweight, then they flick their scale to weigh grams and pay significantly less then pennyweight. That's dishonest any way you cut it. They establish there going to pay one price and don't.

#482 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

Mirpkered, seeing any post in this thread by you makes me both extremely happy and terribly sad at the saem time. I am convinced you just sit around every weekend and photograph different things from your collection and say you got it at a yard sale lol.

you sir, are the yard sale king.

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#483 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

All the N64 Games were $1 each
6684405a-03ce-423e-893c-1deb6e039e45_zps

I got all the PS3 games for $40
ea0f986b-79c6-40c5-93eb-0970f4c656ce_zps

The top two rows were all in a gift bag along with a stack of disc only games all for $2. The bottom row the Wii games were $2/ea and are scratched or cracked, Devil Kings and Arc the Lad were $1/ea and One Piece and Kingdom Hearts were actually in a free pile. The mother at the yard sale said she tried trading them in to Gamestop and they wouldn't take them so they must be worthless because they only pay her $3 for a game she just bought for $60 for her kids.
2710dbe0-f550-4b13-8f38-8dee03782149_zps

The Geni/Sega CD combo were $30 with two controllers, and the Gamecube was $20 with 3 controllers and Game Boy Player + Start Up disc
cb9a1d76-6073-4d54-9924-0475b351a775_zps

All of these were $1/ea and Super Monkey Ball had disc only/non-working copies of Double Dash, Wind Waker, Turok, DBZ Sagas and Metroid Prime
d2463ca0-5156-46e2-8fa3-ddc79fd86fa7_zps

#484 Mirpkered

Mirpkered

Dyslexic GAC

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Mirpkered, seeing any post in this thread by you makes me both extremely happy and terribly sad at the saem time. I am convinced you just sit around every weekend and photograph different things from your collection and say you got it at a yard sale lol.

LOL! I don't take pictures from my collection but being in a small town I come up with some pretty cool stuff on the cheap. That most recent tote was one of my better finds but if you check my flickr page, I have my yard sale adventures from 2007. 2008, 2009, and 2013 there. There were some quality finds there too. And thanks for the compliment!

#485 MasaTFC

MasaTFC

Germany 2014 FIFA World Cup Champions!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

LOL! I don't take pictures from my collection but being in a small town I come up with some pretty cool stuff on the cheap. That most recent tote was one of my better finds but if you check my flickr page, I have my yard sale adventures from 2007. 2008, 2009, and 2013 there. There were some quality finds there too. And thanks for the compliment!

oh, believe me, I have checked your flickr page and its...disgusting. just disgusting.

I imagine the name of that small town is "hoardedoldgamesforcheapsville". keep it up man, like a boss!

"The Absence of Evidence Is Not The Evidence of Absence"

Trading 360 Games for PS3 Versions/Other PS3 Games

#486 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

I just checked your ebay store and you're in Mass? Dude... to hell with being nice, sometimes you gotta be cut throat. Especially when it comes to TurboGrafx games.

Yep, I'm in Central MA. I should be more cutthroat, but I have had it happen before where someone ruins a deal I'm making by offering more. So I normally just try to hold it in, but I already have a space cleared in my retro game room for a TG-16, and in the past month have filled the Saturn and Sega CD spots so the TG-16 is my sole remaining vacant slot.

So how did you miss them but still know what the price was? You mean you walked up and saw someone else paying for it? That is my worst nightmare!

Yep, both were while I was standing there and had to watch in agony! The more upsetting one was in a tote UNDER the table I was at, but I figured it was an empty tote that all the stuff on the table came from. A guy pulled up in a white box truck from an auction house, he read off a list of things they buy (one of which was paying pennyweight for gold/silver... scammer central) one of the things he listed was video game lots so she walked over and pulled the tote out from under me saying it was an NEC system that they didn't put out because she didn't want it to melt. That's when he bought it for $5 and I just stood there, jaw on the floor watching the TG-16 that was literally right in front of me walk away.

Another big one I missed out on was being a few steps behind another guy that buys video games, who scooped up a bunch of N64 games in front of me, including Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64 and a few other good ones all for about 50 cents each.

Dude, that's your problem. You always have to ask immediately. DO YOU HAVE ANY VIDEO GAMES, OLD OR NEW? Regardless whether you see them or not, you must ask. That's the number 1 rule. Trust me. It was hard for me at first too but you get over it after a while. That TurboGrafx lot could of been the find of the year. On top of that the guy was only offering $5 for a tote full of TurboGrafx stuff you should of just spoke up and made a legitimate offer of like $40. I know it's tough but sometimes you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

#487 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

You absolutely don't steal someone else's deal. That's terrible etiquette and not even slightly cool.

As for asking immediately, that's also a terrible idea. Ya, you'll find stuff, but you'll also immediately let them know that you're interested in games and likely end up paying more. You can't ask for them specifically and then say you don't really care about games. Not to mention probably 25% of those who have games don't even realize it.

www.vg-force.com

#488 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think in the case of the Turbo Graphx that he should have countered with a higher offer. The guy that bought it was clearly a dickbag if he came into the sale with a list of things he would buy for cheap and began reading it aloud.

Yardsales in my area have been dead. Hadn't seen video games in the wild in the longest time until last weekend when I found a Kinect and a few launch 360 games (PDZ, Kameo, GRAW). Was actually thinking about the Kinect, but the sellers were firm at $50, so I said Fuck it. The games were all $25 each and not one of them sold.

#489 alexkidd4

alexkidd4

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

You absolutely don't steal someone else's deal. That's terrible etiquette and not even slightly cool.

As for asking immediately, that's also a terrible idea. Ya, you'll find stuff, but you'll also immediately let them know that you're interested in games and likely end up paying more. You can't ask for them specifically and then say you don't really care about games. Not to mention probably 25% of those who have games don't even realize it.

If he would of asked in the first place he would of beat out the jackass reseller, who ended up buying a storage bin full of Turbo Grafx games for 5 freaking dollars. The tote was probably worth at the absolute least $200. I'm not a fan of of undercutting but $5 is just a ridiculous lowball from some one who is clearly out to resell the items.

Also why are you afraid to ask? People usually keep all of the good stuff in the house thinking it's not worth their time to even sell it. That's why I always try to ask.

#490 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:13 AM

If he would of asked in the first place he would of beat out the jackass reseller, who ended up buying a storage bin full of Turbo Grafx games for 5 freaking dollars. The tote was probably worth at the absolute least $200. I'm not a fan of of undercutting but $5 is just a ridiculous lowball from some one who is clearly out to resell the items.

Also why are you afraid to ask? People usually keep all of the good stuff in the house thinking it's not worth their time to even sell it. That's why I always try to ask.

I actually wear a T-Shirt I had made to yard sales that says "I Buy Video Games" with some related graphics. It works about as often as it doesn't, I get as many people go "Oh yea I bet you'd like to buy video games at a yard sale" as ones that go "Oh you buy video games? My kids have some in the house they never touch. I can run inside and grab them if you want."

That is how I got these last year:
DSCF1402.jpg

#491 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Of course you ask. But you have to spend a minute or two looking first. If you can find them without asking you can act like you're doing them a fagor taking it off their hands instead of the other way around. Asking should be the last thing you do before leaving. You'd be shocked how many people don't even realise they have games in their sale.

I also never just say games. I say dvds or old video games and I say it very nonchalant. Try to seem as uninterested as possible.
www.vg-force.com

#492 200STM

200STM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I need to start checking out yard sales again.

#493 PepsiWithDeathclaw

PepsiWithDeathclaw

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

Nothing much this week.

:pc: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

:pc: Star Wars: Empire At War

Priced at $2 each, Got them for $2 total.

Posted Image

#494 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Walked to one that was like three houses away. Picked up a GBA SP case, the long one with the grey front and the black strap. Looked like new and it's definitely an upgrade over the switch and carry case I have now. Also got a car charger for it. 50 cents each for those.

Also grabbed the Dancing Baby CD with the holographic front since it was a quarter.

Saw some decent DVDs for $1 each, but they were all full screen.

Tomorrow is another community yard sale so hopefully I find some stuff. The only game I've bought this year was last weekend a copy of Pro-Wrestling for the NES for $2.

Posted Image

#495 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Walked to one that was like three houses away. Picked up a GBA SP case, the long one with the grey front and the black strap. Looked like new and it's definitely an upgrade over the switch and carry case I have now. Also got a car charger for it. 50 cents each for those.

Also grabbed the Dancing Baby CD with the holographic front since it was a quarter.

Tomorrow is another community yard sale so hopefully I find some stuff. The only game I've bought this year was last weekend a copy of Pro-Wrestling for the NES for $2.

The last time I went over to a "community" yard sale was Northumberland and it was terrible, people packed up early and everything.

Is the one is Sunbury any good?

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#496 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Great morning:

3DO w/ all cords, controller and 4 games: Immercenary, John Madden Football, 3D Atlas, Gex (all CIB except Gex is disc only). 5.00

Mario Kart Double Dash: 5.00

Super Mario Sunshine: 5.00

Sonic Advance: 1.00

GBA SP w/ carrying case and 6 games: Yoshi's Island, Power Rangers, various kids games. Yoshi's Island was the only good game. 15.00

Spectral Force 3 (360): 2.00

Mario Quiz Cards: 1.00

Prism Light the Way (DS): 1.00

Sword of the Berserk Guts Rage and Next Tetris On Line (DC): 5.00 for the pair.

Pretty good day I must say.

www.vg-force.com

#497 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

I got a Genesis Model 2 system with all hooks and a Six button controller for $2

I then got an NES controller and Tecmo Super Bowl for $1

Not too bad, I suppose. 

#498 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Because being cool and etiquitte are important things at a yard sale

#499 Bing147

Bing147

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

They are important parts of being a decent human being.

www.vg-force.com

#500 kermit036

kermit036

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

^^^ I absolutely agree with don't steal someone else's deal. I might go beserk if someone tried that on me. So that whole golden rule thing.^^

This is what I got these past two days of yard saling. 

9101213049_262baa31e8_z.jpg

$22 for everything. Wasn't the best but I need both DS games.

9103446534_96d3be1bd1_z.jpg

I paid $4 for everything here. The PS2 also has the hard drive. At the same sale I got this shelf for $6. No more milk crates for me. haha

9103440414_7751d6a6df_z.jpg

Anyone know how to do spoiler tags on the new forum set up?

9103449538_473f017f44_z.jpg

$10 for everything.

9101225463_a0a807db6a_z.jpg

$3 for everything. The gems are loose copies of Mega Man Legends and Legends of Legaia.

9103453162_df01acd962_z.jpg

At the same sale I got this stuff for $1.75. Unfortunatley the Pokemon cards are fake. From a sealed pack I got a holographic and three other rares. haha.

9103458958_85a4c57aee_z.jpg

This guy is really cool. I got him for $1. I remember seeing these toys back in the day. After seeing how much this can fetch on ebay the $$$ outways my fun with transforming this mech. They also had a Power Range zord ( a silver dinosaur?) from one of the later series that I am not familiar with. They wanted $15 for it so I left it behind. To any of the Power Ranger fans on this site did I pass on something I shouldn't have?

9103462124_52a122319a_z.jpg

The He-Man figures were a dime each and have their weapons. Stratos has a melted chest though :-( . The Gir plush was $2.50. I got the rest for $5. The only figures I can't identify are the Indian wrestler and the black man in the jump suit even after searching the maker and year (Remco/1982 and Mego Corp./ MCMLXXI respectively)

#501 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Spoiler tags have to be added manually, like [spoiler]content[ /spoiler]. Without the space, obviously.

#502 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

The last time I went over to a "community" yard sale was Northumberland and it was terrible, people packed up early and everything.

Is the one is Sunbury any good?

The standard city wide Sunbury one isn't that great, although this years passed. It's the newest attempt in the area for a community one and a lot of people just hold theirs whenever they want. There's also quite a bit of ghetto sales and some out to try to make a big profit from junk. Plus, quite a few of the neighborhoods already have their own...

The Hill yardsale (around the bread factory, off of 11th Street) is usually pretty good, probably the best It's been going on pretty long and there's a lot of nice houses and it seems more people that just want to get rid of stuff as opposed to getting rich. This years passed as well. They tend to close down a little early too, but it's just on Saturday and it seems a lot are out. I missed this years as I sore from like three days of rain and it was raining that day. My sister said there were still quite a bit of porch sales though and found some stuff and said there were video games at a few but nothing of note.

The Susquehannah Ave. one (near the Island/Norry) isn't bad either. Again, think this years passed. It's one if I miss I don't feel too bad about, though. There doesn't tend to be a lot of games as there seems to be a lot of old people and couples with just daughters living in there. However, when there are games they seem to be reasonably priced. I got some N64 Zelda and Gameboy games there for $1-$2 a pop.

There's the Memorial Acres one as well, which I can't remember if it passed. It's in the public housing behind Weis on 4th. I think I've made it there like twice in the 7 or 8 years it's been going on. I don't think I've seen any gaming stuff there, but then again I never made it there at opening either.

The one tomorrow (and today as well, I had to watch my nephews for a bit so I couldn't make it) is the Hamilton/Sun Valley which is out by the railroad underpass heading towards Shamokin. It's one of the better ones, imo. arguably as good as The Hill. Again, reasonable prices, more people just wanting to get rid of stuff. Quite a bit of free stuff as well (and some decent stuff at that.) and seemingly always some video games and CDs/DVDs and electronics. Also, there's very rarely a yardsale in that area besides the weekend they hold it so pretty much everyone is out.

Although, my best of luck in Sunbury seems to be at random non-community ones. Especially around the post office for some reason.

Posted Image

#503 Greg613

Greg613

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

The He-Man figures were a dime each and have their weapons. Stratos has a melted chest though :-( . The Gir plush was $2.50. I got the rest for $5. The only figures I can't identify are the Indian wrestler and the black man in the jump suit even after searching the maker and year (Remco/1982 and Mego Corp./ MCMLXXI respectively)

The "Indian Wrestler" is Arak - Son of Thunder from the Lost World of the Warlord series. 

The "black man in the jumpsuit" also looks familiar, but I can't place it.

#504 ferant316

ferant316

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

^^^ I absolutely agree with don't steal someone else's deal. I might go beserk if someone tried that on me. So that whole golden rule thing.^^

This is what I got these past two days of yard saling. 

9101225463_a0a807db6a_z.jpg

$3 for everything. The gems are loose copies of Mega Man Legends and Legends of Legaia.

That is the Legend of Legaia demo, full game has character art on it.

#505 Kovorkian

Kovorkian

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sunbury was a bust nothing even decently priced, went over to Northumberland, found some cheap books, some decently priced games but nothing I did not already own.

all in all was decent found about 10 books for anywhere from $0.20 to $0.50 each

Tradelist   (mostly Nintendo / Sony)  

May DealSeeker continue to guide us through dark voids, lead us not into tempting terrible deals, and deliver us from EA.

gallery_474050_8161_75125.jpg

Designed by Lilchiji

#506 crows in black

crows in black

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Well to continue my streak of "its worth twice that on ebay durrr!" sales, today I found a genesis with a 32X and some 32X sports games. I really wanted it since I dont have a 32X yet.

His price: $250

The reason: "I looked on ebay"

I told him on ebay he might get like $40 for this and they arent rare at all. His response again was "those old games are worth 100s of dollars on ebay!" And he was "firm on $250"

Literally the 5th week in a row I've encountered this. Its always like 40 sales of nothing but baby clothes then ONE with anything good which always turns out to be triple ebay prices. I guess I am throwing in the towel on yard sales, its not even worth getting up early on a saturday anymore for this ebay crap. I seriously dont get what goes through these peoples minds; "someone is ASKING $250 for this sealed in the box on ebay so I will sell my loose dirty one at a yard sale for the same price!"

#507 SaraAB

SaraAB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

I would go garbage picking at these people's houses on garbage day of the area where the sales are, just make sure it's legal before you start picking, I think you could find some stuff because sometimes resellers will just start throwing things out, or people will throw out what did not sell at their sale.

I saw a lot of pick able things today especially CRT TV's that had $40 prices on it that people just threw to the curb. I seriously don't know why people ask that much for something that is totally worthless.

Alright so I got 2 decent things today but not much:

Wii remote with Nunchuck and motion plus adapter plus 4 remote sleeves for $2

Sealed PS2 network adapter for $1

So I stumbled on a DSI XL that I could have had for $10 with no charger but it was not reading the games so I didn't get it, this was from a kid, probably should have gotten it but I just didn't feel like bothering as broken stuff doesn't fetch that much on eBay and I am so saturated with stuff that I need to sell that it's just going to make more pointless work for me.

One thing I hear kids say constantly, almost every kid I talk to says this so it's kind of sad, they all say they gave up their other systems to play Call of Duty or other war game on the Xbox... We are talking kids 8 and up here which is just really sad. Sad that the only thing anyone wants to play around here is CoD, I swear if I hear it from another kid I am giving the mature games speech to the parents...lol.

#508 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

So I stumbled on a DSI XL that I could have had for $10 with no charger but it was not reading the games so I didn't get it, this was from a kid, probably should have gotten it but I just didn't feel like bothering as broken stuff doesn't fetch that much on eBay and I am so saturated with stuff that I need to sell that it's just going to make more pointless work for me.

It might've been worth jumping on that for $5 or less; some of the portable stuff makes for good salvage money. I know where you're coming from though, sometimes you gotta reverse thrusters and sink time into purging rather than acquiring.

The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#509 juangrande386

juangrande386

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Aww it always make me laugh when people call Nintendo kiddy but if you play "mature" games like Halo or COD on Xbox Live its nothing but 8-16 year olds yelling into their mics! As far as "its goes for this on Ebay", if I happen to hear that when Im out Ill say something like "so how long you been an Ebay member?" "....well Im not actually signed up but you can still look up prices" "yeah thats what I thought, good luck selling your stuff *walk away*"

http://mbsy.co/lootcrate/8401525 Loot Crate (Get boxes of tech/gamer/nerd stuff delievered every month)

http://www.ebates.co...TvZAODnfHwJLg== Earn Cash Back on shopping sites

http://sensor2.suite...S=1&RPID=282220 Tango Giftcards for running an app

Earn giftcards for Amazon and other places by clicking the referral links. Help a brother out while youre at it :)

#510 pyoobez

pyoobez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

Sunbury was a bust nothing even decently priced, went over to Northumberland, found some cheap books, some decently priced games but nothing I did not already own.

all in all was decent found about 10 books for anywhere from $0.20 to $0.50 each

Did you get out to the community sale leaving town towards Shamokin? I got out around noon and didn't have the greatest luck (granted, it was all day Friday too). I did snag two see through Pelican wireless Gamecube controllers for $1 total. I need to look up if they take adaptors (I'm guessing they do) as they weren't included. Besides that, I got an X Rated patch for a quarter (apparently it's from John Deere snowmobiles from the 70's or 80's) and two paintings for a quarter each as the woman said she just wanted to get rid of everything. My sister walked up after I left and she said everything was then free, but there was nothing else I could be bothered to get.

All in all not a great year. There were some video games for $1-$2 (PS, PS2, Gamecube) but nothing I personally cared for. A few DVDs and oddly an asston of VHS, which is odd as last year there were a ton of DVDs. However, the local video store now buys DVDs and resells them so I think they're getting quite a bit from the area.

Posted Image